Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dependency or Addiction?

From Wikipedia

People with discontinuation syndrome have been on an antidepressant for at least four weeks and have recently stopped taking the medication, whether abruptly, after a fast taper, or each time the medication is reduced on a slow taper.[1] Commonly reported symptoms include flu-like symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, sweating), sleep disturbances (insomnia, nightmares, constant sleepiness). Sensory and movement disturbances have also been reported, including imbalance, tremors, vertigo, dizziness, and electric-shock-like experiences in the brain, often described by sufferers as "brain zaps". Mood disturbances such as dysphoria, anxiety, or agitation are also reported, as are cognitive disturbances such as confusion and hyperarousal.

Psychosis is also known. I haven't suffered hyperarousal or psychosis but everything else.

Additionally, I've suffered what my psychiatrist thought was serotonin syndrome in the past, though they weren't sure.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I'm the same as Paula if that helps? I would like to add that each time it's been different for each medication..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

If a person is coming off a drug and he feels no side effects at all apart from a slight heavy feeling in the head is that ok?
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

I'd say that person is lucky everyone is different, purple
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

purplefan (10-04-16)

In the early days of my depression (SAD) I'd be on sertraline from autumn/winter to the following summer then come off them slowly with no side effects (unless I've a selective memory) I went through this cycle a few times before I was on sertraline permanently.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

If controlled drugs that are prescribed by the doctor can give you side effects, then it leads to the question why are we using them?
    I cant imagine what it must be like coming off Heroin or cocaine. I guess the good outweighs the evil in prescribed drugs.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

The drugs change the way our brains/chemicals work so it seems logical that removing that will have an impact. Lithium is a dangerous drug but there is no way I'm ever going to allow anyone to take me off it - my life without it is not worth living.

I'm with Paula. Some of the drugs I'm on or have been on have caused withdrawal - morphine included... but the worst I came off was cocodamol which I'd been taking for a long time at a "cause for concern" level... That was horrible... Thing is I know what my life is like with the drugs and I know it's better..
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!