Thread: Medication for how long....?

samii

Medication for how long....?

So guys, as i have only been on my Antis Ds for a couple of weeks i know its going to take a while for them to kick in, but i have a few questions

1. How long are people on Anti Ds for? my main fear of taking these tablets is that i will become reliant on them

2. How long have people had off work? i have already had 4 weeks signed off from the GP. but i really dont want it to affect my job

thanks in advance x

I'm not sure answering those questions are likely to give you any comfort cos each persons experience is different and just because one person may be back at work after a fortnight and off the meds after 6 months and someone else might be on meds for life and never work again, doesn't mean it will be the same for you

Stella's right... The general rule of thumb for mild/moderate depression is that once your mood is stable and remains so for around 6 months that's when people start to reduce medication...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

ADs aren't addictive, so you won't become reliant on them in the way most people think, although coming off them takes time as many cause discontinuation effects - it's just a process of reducing, seeing how it goes then reducing again itms. But that should always be with your Drs support when the time is right.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

samii
    thank you for the answers guys, i was just scared that i would become so reliant on them that i wont want to come off them

Sweetheart it will take as long as it takes... We have some members who have been on their meds for a very long time and will stay on them for life, we have others who haven't had meds at all... Really it's not worth comparing as each medication affects each individual differently...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!