Thread: Alcoholism medication

Twilight

Alcoholism medication

Hi. Happy Easter. Just wondered if anyone had tried Topomax to help reduce drinking? I am on sertraline and was thinking of asking my doc ?

Many thanks

Twilight, I would advocate asking your Dr for a referral to the local drug and alcohol team. They will be able to help you so much more.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Twilight
    Hi Suzi, yes I am going to ask on Tuesday. Thank you. Hope you are having a good weekend.

Yes thanks
    It's great that you're serious about stopping!

Twilight
    Thank you...Just hope I can do it. It's ridiculous to keep doing it to myself. xxx

You're awesome, wanting to do this. We'll be with you all the way if you want us to be
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Just don't "just stop" please..... It can be very dangerous in someone with an addiction to alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Hi. Happy Easter. Just wondered if anyone had tried Topomax to help reduce drinking? I am on sertraline and was thinking of asking my doc ?

Many thanks
    Hi love,
    Hope you don't mind me interjecting here. I'm a recovering alcoholic. Beware of Topomax!. It is an anti-convulsant, anti-seizure drug. Only rarely do people coming off alcohol experience alcoholic fits, these are similar to epilepsy. See your doctor. Tell him the truth about your problem and fears. If you really want to stop, then total abstinance is the only option. I don't know anyone who has been able to 'control' their drinking. My suggestion is that to avoid the 'shakes' of withdrawal you speak to your doctor who may prescribe a light dose of Diazepam or other tranquiliser for a few days. Contact Alcoholics Anonymous. They will help you and will also accompany you to your first meeting. I don't know where you live, but if in a fairly big town, there will be a few. Your Health Centre or phone book will give you a 24hr number. I don't know how old you are either. I say this, because if you are young there will be quite a few members your age so don't be put off.It is a wonderful fellowship, and will help you to live a happy and sober life. If you need any more info then just say. Good luck.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flo For This Useful Post:

OldMike (28-03-16),Suzi (28-03-16)