Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Recovery thread

New Recovery thread

I thought it was about time that I wrote a recovery thread. I am now in the recovery area. I'm still on a battery of mess and it is questionable whether I will be able to come off them. I'm working and managing a social life ( sort of)
    As most people who have suffered from depression know recovery is not a straight line. It can dip up and down. These days I have adopted certain strategies to deal with the peaks in my mood. I know that early mornings can be a 'low time ' so I have my coffee and porridge whilst I do my early morning chores. Sunlight is important especially when I am driving to work especially the weak sun across the fields. If I have any negatives thoughts during the day I try to challenge them and replace a positive with a negative. Mood dipping happens if I haven't had a good day. I tell myself I have done the best I could with the situation or I go back to apologise or pray about the situation if I feel I have really messed up.
    Music really improves my mood so I go to choir twice a week sometimes three times. It is a workout for voice and mind. I think that my brain is rewired or un
    scrambled by the music.
    Sometimes I feel 'panicky' This can happen at any time. Usually I can control it by sitting quietly and deep breathing. Usually this works. If it goes into a full blown panic then I would probably remove myself from the situation. This is very rare and I would probably not let my thoughts get to this stage.
    No-body can foresee life events like the death of someone dear. My Father died four and a half years ago and I thought that this would 'unhinge me' but I coped and was fine about it. I can still hear him talking to me usually when I am cooking as he loved his food. He had funny words for food such as 'grun' food- graveny - Also taters - cold. Probably a touch of the East End.
    I am very fortunate that I have a husband - away a lot and also a very supportive GP and people at Church. I also have a lovely best friend.
    These strategies do not always stop us getting ill. I can be aware of the warning signs and still become ill. I have become ill being on my meds although not on this cocktail. In the past I have thought that if this or that happened then I wouldn't become ill again. Sadly that is no guarantee. I have felt so low that I have wanted to die. I have also felt that I was rotting inside. I also felt that I was becoming invisible. All that is thankfully behind me now.
    Everyday has to be a new beginning. It isn't a rehearsal but I do go over there things that I know will heal me and make me well. More to follow I'm sure.
    Last edited by ElizabethJane1; 15-01-16 at 08:53 PM.

That's a great post! So lovely to see you posting here!
    There's only us, There's only this, Forget regret, Or life is your to miss,
    No other road, No other way, No day but today. (Rent. Jonathan Larson)

That's such a lovely post So full of positivity and hope. I like the idea of music unscrambling the mind

Fantastic post, Elizabeth. That really made me beam
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can.” – Arthur Ashe

Probably in the studio in North Zummerset
    Lovely to hear that you are getting through it.
    Sanity is the playground for the unimaginative!

http://carantoc-art.com

Thank you. I believe that recovery from depressive illness is one day at a time and when we are really il one hour at a time. I seem to be developing a sore throat so I'm having raw ginger, manuka honey and lemon. I had a really unsettled night last night although I have felt fine all day. I had my 'nightmare/nighterror. It always follows the same theme that I have died or I am dying. This one was quite clever in that I thought I was going to crash my car and I knew I had to jump clear. I did but I landed out of my bed and beside the bedroom door. I was very shaky and it took time to recover. The thing was I had only been asleep for one hour. It always seems to get me. I desperately want to live but obviously so afraid of dying. Sorry folks but my recovery seems to be overcoming this one. It is annoying the sleep walking. I always lock my door if I go away and try to request a ground floor room.

Oh, I thought you meant you were dreaming you had landed out of bed, but you mean for real? How long have you been sleepwalking for?

Rose I have been sleep walking since I was a child. I also talk and grind my teeth. I think I might have to have a hypnosis session.

Hypnosis Therapy is brilliant, I think.

Great post Elizabeth so full of positives, I too find classical music a great help, partially because it's a distraction but it also seems to affect my emotions and makes me feel more human again.
    71 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"