Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any one growing any fruit or veg this summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Ok, here is my lavender hedge - given this is with the winter cutback, and the plants are 2.5 times this during the summer ..... Of course it does cause problems getting to the car when the bees are enjoying the lavender

I am jealous. It looks like a sunny spot, maybe mine need more sun. It's lovely it's next to the path, people will brush against it and get the smell of it

I did have 3 or 4 lavender plants which only lasted a couple of years, my garden is pretty shaded maybe that's why.
    77 and counting, less of the "Old" call me "Mike"

Quote Originally Posted by rose View Post
    I am jealous. It looks like a sunny spot, maybe mine need more sun. It's lovely it's next to the path, people will brush against it and get the smell of it
    Yeh out the front is south facing (which means the back garden is north facing ). It gets a lot of sun! It's lovely opening the front door in summer as the smell hits you. Hubby hates lavender but tough
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

The back of my garden faces southeast so the sun rises over the back garden and travels round and finally sets over the front garden, but lots of big oak trees so it is quite shady.

Piglet
    Hubby has a greenhouse and two raised beds to grow fruit, veg and salad in. Last year we got tomatoes, cucumber, various salad leaves, strawberries, garlic, potatoes, kale, mint, basil, parsley, peas, runner beans, and one apple. This year will be more or less the same.

I've left my garden in the hands of my parents while I'm away studying this year and I suppose it's not looking too bad. they're not following most of my advice but I guess they haven't done too badly. They have managed to kill an upsetting number of seedlings though, before giving up and buying some older plants

Bereft
    I have been cleaning up my greenhouse and setting about with tomato plants and herbs at the moment. I am viewing it as a kind of therapy thing, a reason to get out of bed and do something. It's a struggle to maintain an interest but it is something to focus on.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bereft For This Useful Post:

OldMike (13-07-16),Suzi (10-07-16)

I'm growing potatoes this year all ready had a few (mmm tasty), my broad beans were a total failure, the soil was just too wet and sticky when I set my beans and planted my potatoes earlier this year, it's been a very wet year.