Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TED talk - 'emotional hygiene'

Quote Originally Posted by mitz View Post
    it's also an experiential rather than intellectual understanding. what happens if you stop
    thinking for a moment, what is left; what is present without all the thoughts and descriptions?
    Nothing. Thinking and Doing makes us who we are. Not moving means we stop life and evolution.

mitz
    not moving? it's not about not thinking or doing, but what drives people to think or act in particular ways. it's all about being good to your self and everyone else. there is def still something there if you stop
    thinking for a moment, you are still aware, still conscious, still looking; that awareness is still there when you are thinking or not thinking, you just don't always notice it when you are thinking. that awareness is who you are, regardless of the what random thoughts occur; our thoughts are constantly changing and relentless, your awareness is stable and is unaffected by all the thoughts; that's what mindfulness is attempting to recognise.

mitz
    I'm not saying that is how it is, just that is what mindfulness and meditation tries to teach.

mitz
    Sam, I find the ,making mistakes, stuff very difficult to sit with too, maybe we cld experiment with meditating with this particular affliction!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mitz For This Useful Post:

Sam, I find the ,making mistakes, stuff very difficult to sit with too, maybe we cld experiment with meditating with this particular affliction!
    How?.

mitz
    let the thoughts come, practice being aware of them, rather than getting lost in all the descriptions of them, there's a difference, bring yourself back to this awareness again and again, whatever thoughts come and go. experiment, see what happens?

bring yourself back to this awareness again and again,
    awareness of what?

see what happens?
    crying, being upset, hate

mitz
    Sam,it's difficult to describe the awareness bit, as it is something you experience, rather than describe, but it is your awareness, your conciousness, what is looking from your eyes, what is feeling, hearing, seeing, something beyond your thoughts, but not separate to them either. people call it different names. some people use metaphors to make it easier to understand; like a crystal ball or the sky is your awareness, and the reflections/clouds are the thoughts that come and go, your awareness is always there, consistent, stable, but not always always noticed, so it is about getting familiar and recognising this. if it is something you are interested in exploring further it is a good idea to find a teacher/class to help you get familiar and have some support. I hardly get it myself, it's easier for me to describe than do, especially with very afflictive states. it's easier to start practising using the happier or more neutral thoughts.
    Last edited by mitz; 18-10-15 at 07:38 PM.

it's easier to start practising using the happier or more neutral thoughts.
    So you are thinking about something during mindfulness, actively choosing what you think about? If I don't do anything, those negative thoughts are so dominant, they are coming instantly, unless I concentrate on something else. Doing mindfulness then means to let them be in my head and torture me?

mitz
    you can choose what to think, or see what comes, it doesn't really matter, what usually happens is that you realise you don't really have much control about what thoughts come and go. the purpose of mindfulness is not to torture you : ) the purpose is to help you recognise your innate awareness which is ever present, stable (and connected to everything and everyone else) - this is where you find your stability - not in your thoughts which come/go, are dependent on your conditioning/circumstances/education etc - not very reliable, and not your true nature. 'you' are not your thoughts. but your thoughts help you recognise this awareness, you wouldn't be able to recognise it without your thoughts. it is scarey to sit with difficult thoughts without trying to 'do' something with them (change/resist/avoid etc), but this is where a teacher/class is important to guide and support you. if you want to explore it further, i would definitely recommend you find a good teacher, as it isn't really something you can do on your own.