Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TED talk - 'emotional hygiene'

mitz

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mitz For This Useful Post:

Samantha340 (18-10-15)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to S deleted For This Useful Post:

Samantha340 (18-10-15)

I love TED talks.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Thanks for the videos. I am trying since month to understand mindfulness and still dont understand how it can help. I have those worrying thoughts, they are constantly here. I then take 10 minutes out of the day.Concentrate on the now and here. For 10 minutes everything is fine and then I am back in reality and the worry is back, because the situation is still the same and problem xyz is not solved.

mitz
    yeah mindfulness/meditation is a completely different way of being than how we have all been taught, so it's difficult to understand/experience especially at first, if at all! it's not meant to solve problems or change anything (tho it can) but to be with all your thoughts and feelings (positive and negative) without indulging/avoiding or needing to change them etc: which in turn frees you up to act in a way that is supportive to you/others. it is not meant to fix things, but to enable you to be comfortable with uncomfortable. its also about every moment, not just 10 mins a day, tho that's a helpful way to start. it takes a lot of practice and support.
    Last edited by mitz; 18-10-15 at 04:33 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mitz For This Useful Post:

S deleted (18-10-15)

So it's all about accepting positive and negative feelings?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha340 For This Useful Post:

S deleted (18-10-15)

Exactly. there are lots of things in life that you can't change, that you have no control over, If you can learn to accept these things for what they are it can lift a lot of weight from your shoulders

mitz
    sort of, it's about experiencing all of your feelings and thoughts without attempting to change/ignore them, which can be quite hard to do, as we all attempt to change/ignore things, especially if they feel uncomfortable, which is why support/a teacher is helpful. this doesn't mean you do accept everything or do not change anything, but when you come from a place of not avoiding or indulging etc, your response may (or may not!) be different, because you are clearer about what actions to take, or not to take. all the mindfulness and meditation practices available to us now, come from ancient eastern teachings, and are a way of making these teachings accessible to us western folk. It has helped
    me sometimes, but I find it v difficult to do, especially on my own. but any practicing is good!

mitz
    it's also an experiential rather than intellectual understanding. what happens if you stop
    thinking for a moment, what is left; what is present without all the thoughts and descriptions?

I can accept being happy/unhappy, what I find hard is accepting having made mistakes which lead to unhappiness.