Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oils

oils

A friend of mind sent me an email about using different oils to help you sleep. This is part of the email about diffrent oils she mixes.
    What do you tbink, is it worth exploring?
    To start with, I've been using the lavender oil. I put a drop on Kaleas feet and rub it in. This has helped her to sleep sound. I have also put a few drops in a defuser to get a mist in the room for aroma therapy. Different oils help with different things. You can also mix oils. So do you think there is anything in it? She also said it can help with depression.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

Lavendar is well known for being relaxing, I can't see why it wouldn't help you. I have a lavendar diffuser in my sitting room and it smells nice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rose For This Useful Post:

purplefan (18-08-15)

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    Lavender is known to help with relaxing
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

Only thing I would be careful of is using oils neat as they can be quite potent and strong. I'd always recommend diluting them with a carrier oil if going directly onto the skin.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nita For This Useful Post:

Angie (17-08-15),Paula (17-08-15),purplefan (18-08-15),Suzi (18-08-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Nita View Post
    Only thing I would be careful of is using oils neat as they can be quite potent and strong. I'd always recommend diluting them with a carrier oil if going directly onto the skin.
    I was going to say exactly the same thing. Almond oil is lovely to use
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Good point nita. I might pop up to Holland and Barnet and see what they have.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

Camomile is also helpful and calming, or Sandalwood. I tried them all when I was suffering with insomnia with limited results. I also tried some homeopathic stuff and all these things helped me to feel more relaxed however I still didn't sleep

mitz
    oh yes esssential oils are lovely, and different oils have different properties - calming, anti inflammatory, stimulating, astringent, antibacterial etc - lavender is one of the few that is safe to use undiluted. there are so many lovely oils which you can also blend to make your own mixes, and there are so many ways to use them; in oil burners, diffusers, inhalations, in the bath, mouthwashes, oils in different carriers for massage, perfumes, room sprays. there are loads of different carrier oils which can also be used on their own. sesame oil is grounding and you can massage it in, before a soak in the bath. you can also make your own oils by Infusing plants/flowers eg. calendula, rose. I love all this stuff and like making my own things. they also form the oil part of making creams and balms. it's something I enjoy doing when I'm well!

mitz
    valarian is good for insomnia, it's the root that you use as a tincture; best to get a good quality one from a herbalist, or you can make your own by buying the dried root and infusing it in brandy or vodka for a few weeks, then straining. best to check with the gp first though, as its quite strong.

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    I've only used oils to give massage to people and for that sandlewood and lavender mixed with base oils helps relax people and I like the smell.