Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changing medication

Changing medication

I am supposed to be changing medication at the moment; Quetiapine to Aripiprazole (Abilify) and starting Orlistat. Both changes are to help me lose weight.
    I've been putting it off because I've had job interviews to go to, I've got two more tomorrow and probably another sometime this week.
    It seems like there is a never a good time to switch medications but I have follow ups with the pdoc and GP in a month so I need to get on with it.
    I am afraid if I get a new job and still haven't got used to the new medications that it will cause me unnecessary stress.
    I know the end goal is weight loss which is really important, but its hard to know when is the right time to do it.

As you said yourself, there is never a good time. If you start take them now you would be at least a few weeks in before starting the new job. If you wait any longer and get the job, then you are probably like "Can't swap now, need to deal with the job first" My personal advice, start now.
    You are worrying about things in the future, they might not offer you a job and you "lost" couple of weeks going forward. (But I hope you get the job)
    Last edited by Samantha340; 12-07-15 at 01:03 PM.

I know you hate changing meds but you really need to do this, today preferably hunni
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Definitely not today, I have missed the morning Abilify anyway. And definitely not tomorrow. We all know what Orlistat does; that is not going to work if I am travelling for 90 minutes on a bus. I am thinking Tuesday. Tuesday is the day.

I wold do it straight away. The change may go smoothly and you are worrying bout nothing

Oh, I didn't mention, I am cutting Venlafaxine too. The pdoc was very pleased about this; they hate me taking it with Fluoxetine. I have already cut to 16.75mg a day, been on that for about 3 weeks without too much trouble. I am not going to reduce it any more for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by rose View Post
    Oh, I didn't mention, I am cutting Venlafaxine too. The pdoc was very pleased about this; they hate me taking it with Fluoxetine. I have already cut to 16.75mg a day, been on that for about 3 weeks without too much trouble. I am not going to reduce it any more for the time being.
    Well done
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    I wold do it straight away. The change may go smoothly and you are worrying bout nothing
    I've had terrible experiences with swapping before. OH absolutely refused to let me swap if there was a chance he'd be out of the country.
    But I did initiate the idea of swapping with the pdoc, mainly because she refuses to accept my medication is the reason I am eating so much, she says I have an eating disorder, so I said let's swap medication and see if it makes a difference. So, I am committed to doing it, its just scary to change when it took so long to get it right.

I know what you mean but this could still work without any trouble. I had previously had problems with meds and started to feel like nothing would work for me and I was in a really bad place when I started Duloxetine but the difference it made was almost instant. Within 2-3 days I was feeling so much better and able to see things clearly, which did cause a big guilt trip but even so I knew I deserved it and I also knew I was lucky to still be here to have another chance.Try and be positive about the change because you have said the old meds were holding you back over losing weight. This could be the change that balances everything out

Go for it Rose. It can only get better for you. Best of luck with the change over.