Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To tell or not to tell

It's a good idea to look up the company's policy on these things before deciding whether to mention it. Local Authorities for example, have a great non-discrimination policy on this and it's actually advantageous to mention it at interview because if you subsequently need time off then they can't give you any grief about it. But not all companies are the same. I would decide on a case by case basis. But if I know somewhere would not want me for that reason, then I'm with Stella, why would I put myself into a hostile environment? The key thing is that whatever you decide, they do not have the right to ask, nor discriminate, but it is often a good idea to be honest without going into details, and always join the union, then you will have protection in the future whilst working.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    My parents don't know about my depression or ptsd or anxiety and panic and I wont tell them, part of that is they are a big part of the cause.
    I didn't tell my family because I was worried about my mothers reaction. She didn't take the news well when my sister told her she had depression and I didn't want to add to her worries. Once she died I came clean and told my dad and sister. I didn't hide it for my benefit, It was always about mum

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    My parents are a big part of the cause of my problems so I wont tell them, we barely have any relationship at all as it is, though some bridges have been crossed for the better, it will never be completely right between us
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

I used to tell mum bits n pieces but not a lot, I rarely spoke to dad about thing, he was less understanding about thes things. I pretty much keep things to myself now. I used to have a couple of friends I talked to but not my current friends.

By not telling we are not giving others the chance to be there for us. You never know, behind their brave face might be a similar issue.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Samantha340 For This Useful Post:

Justin Tolerable
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I know this is a real struggle for so many - to tell your employer or not. Interesting article .....

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...work-employers
    I always do as it is a get-out-of-jail-free card and excuses any behaviour, however antisocial and ill-mannered. I blame everything I do on my mental disorders and people forgive me because of it. My view is that one should make hay while the sun shines and to use it before you lose it.

Nothing wrong with covering your bases

Quote Originally Posted by magie06 View Post
    On our new driving licence forms, there is the question, at the end of all the question, a yes or no list of health questions. Mental health is one of the questions. I ticked the no box for it because it would affect my insurance if anything happened.
    Fortunately, I've had the driving licence authority check me twice over the last 10 years to see if I'm fit to drive, so no insurance company can complain.
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

It does state on the licence form Serious mental illness, and I wouldn't say depression falls into the kind of impairments they are talking about

Justin Tolerable
    Well, the way I see it is this: either (a) I'm an awkward weirdo who has trouble talking to people and even looking at people and I stammer when I get nervous (which is when talking to and looking at other people)... or (b) I'm mentally ill now and I tell people I was a normal person before my tragic mental illness occurred because of a hugely traumatic event that I conveniently don't want to talk about. I go for the second option.