Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To tell or not to tell

I can totally understand why you all choose to keep quiet and as I say I don't exactly walk around wearing a label advertising I have mental health issues. Re-reading that article again it is a bit unfair. Ruby Wax is slated for what she has said but the experiences here in this thread prove she is right and yes a lot of work has been done to try and break down the ignorance toward MH but there is still a long way to go.

If I lied or simply omitted the truth, I would just have one more thing to feel bad about and I already have enough guilt, shame and regret to deal with. Open and honest I can hold my head high instead of adding to my problems

i think the only reason to tell an employer is if you think your condition will have an impact on your work. If your condition won't affect your work your employer doesn't need to know and you have no reason to feel guilty about withholding the information. If it will affect your work then the employer should be to act as they see fit (within the boundaries of employment laws etc.).

I won't ever work again, so I've kept quiet since my original post and just watched the conversation. I think what makes me really sad about this whole conversation is that this is still an issue in the 21st century. And that doesn't just apply to work - how many of us don't feel we can tell friends or family we're struggling with MH illness? It shouldn't even be a conversation - it makes me so angry that there's still such stigma attached
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paula For This Useful Post:

magie06 (09-07-15),S deleted (09-07-15)

I think it's really sad that so many of you feel this way...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

S deleted (09-07-15)

Honestly, I don't tell them about any illness I have as I am sincerely hoping it won't impact on my work.
    I will either use annual leave for appointments or work at home on those days if I know the appointments will be short.
    Its unlikely my next job will be 9-5 anyway so if I am putting in extra hours, I expect to be able to take them back when I need them.
    One job I have applied for is supporting all over the world so I imagine I'll be doing early starts and late nights.
    I think that businesses have become much more flexible, particularly with regards to working hours and working from home, this is helped by technology (my work blackberry never stopped flashing at my last job). But its so competitive out there that you have to be careful.
    I know I can do an awesome job despite my various medical problems, but the only way I can prove that is by doing it.
    I've been regularly working at home for years since I developed IBS which made commuting very difficult. I get a lot more done at home anyway!!!!

Bt if you had epilepsy or diabetes or chonic asthma wouldn't you tell then? It may not prevent you from doing your job but from a safety point of view is it not beneficial that an employer is aware of the situation in case of emergency? Is it not the same should you have a major panic attack? Or if you had bad side effects from a change to medication? Let's not forget depression is a killer and the best way to prevent that from happening is talking. The more me talk to people the better their understanding and just is the only way to tackle ignorance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to S deleted For This Useful Post:

It's unfortunate but if you let some people know you have a mental health condition then they judge and then start to consider if you're capable of the job you're doing even if been doing it ok for a while. When my brother died I went through a difficult stage and with my depression history was concerned about my mental health. My boss did not understand even though he knew the circumstances that had led to me being that way so what would he be like if he knew about the depression history. I've had to work hard since the day I was called in to discuss my work performance to convince him all is ok. It was like that when I was off at my previous job. My boss just didn't trust me because I'd been ill so it made it untenable to stay there as he'd always be second guessing me and that would have made the condition worse.

I still don't tell everyone, that I've suffered from mental health problems. I don't think everyone needs to know.

On our new driving licence forms, there is the question, at the end of all the question, a yes or no list of health questions. Mental health is one of the questions. I ticked the no box for it because it would affect my insurance if anything happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Stella180 View Post
    Bt if you had epilepsy or diabetes or chonic asthma wouldn't you tell then? It may not prevent you from doing your job but from a safety point of view is it not beneficial that an employer is aware of the situation in case of emergency?.
    Yes I would tell them but only if they offered me the job. At that point I will tell them everything.
    Last edited by rose; 09-07-15 at 02:37 PM.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    My parents don't know about my depression or ptsd or anxiety and panic and I wont tell them, part of that is they are a big part of the cause.
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR