Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My depression blog by ex-professional footballer.

Howfootballruined

My depression blog by ex-professional footballer.

I am an ex-professional footballer who is battling depression. I decided to document my experiences in a blog to help raise awareness of mental health issues in professional sport. Feedback is appreciated, good or bad. Thanks.

https://howfootballruinedmylife.word...a-down-period/

I have approved this posting.

Welcome to DWD. I thought your blog was really good! Thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by Suzi; 04-06-15 at 10:24 AM.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzi For This Useful Post:

Angie (03-06-15),Paula (03-06-15)

Howfootballruined
    Thank you very much Suzi. Hopefully others can relate to my battles.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Howfootballruined For This Useful Post:

Suzi (04-06-15)

Welcome to DWD

Hi and welcome . Your blog post is brilliant and I know many members here, including me, will relate to it very much. Please don't answer if you feel you can't right now, but I was wondering how football ruined your life?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Howfootballruined
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Hi and welcome . Your blog post is brilliant and I know many members here, including me, will relate to it very much. Please don't answer if you feel you can't right now, but I was wondering how football ruined your life?
    Thank you for the feedback.

I don't mean it in a literal sense but my experiences as a player contributed to my mental health deteriorating over a long period of time. I just thought it sounded like a good title for a blog. My life is still defined by what I did many years ago.

Been reading it and thought it very good. I am pleased you are taking anti depressants and getting counselling. I hope your wife is reclining support as it will be tough on her also.
    Football is not a good sport for recognizing depression. Gary speed 1 case in point. Might be a good idea to contact football clubs to see if they have anything on how to tackle depression in youngsters.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

Howfootballruined
    https://howfootballruinedmylife.word...ife-too-short/

My new blog reveals my position and the reasons why I felt I needed to. Feedback as always is appreciated, good or bad.

Hiya, I just read your blog post, there were times I thought I had hit rock bottom, and unfortunately yes it can get worse. Are you getting any support from your doctor/care team right now? Please, make a nuisance of yourself to whoever is involved in your care to get some help.