Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine

LostMyWay

Fluoxetine

Hi, I've been on citalopram on and off for years, this time for 4yrs on 30mg but it's no longer working. Psychotherapist suggested a switch to fluoxetine as it's good for raising serotonin levels. I had problems with sleep and sexual function on citalopram. Just wondered how other people have found fluoxetine. I'll be starting it on friday.

My husband was on Fluoxetine for years and has recently had to restart it. It's really really helped him get things more level itms?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

I've been on it for a while now and I think it has helped me more than the citalipram did.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

This is one of the medications I take and I think its very good, although I would say its a subtle drug, and it can take some time to get working.
    I always suggest to anyone starting a new medication that they do a mood diary to track how they feel.
    If you feel worse at any time, make sure you go back to your GP.

northantsgirl
    I went to the drs yesterday and im currently being weaned off citalopram and onto fluoxetine

LostMyWay
    Thank you for your replies I'm due to start the fluoxetine today but I'm managing ok at the moment so not sure whether to wait and see how I get on med free for a while :/

IT takes fluoxetine anywhere between 4 and 8 weeks to get fully into your system and start working so putting it off until you feel a crisis isn't proactive at all imho..

You need to switch straight over, like the doctor told you, the Citalopram will take a little while to get out of your system so its quite normal to feel ok med-free on the first few days. Also Fluoxetine takes a bit longer to get going than Citalopram does so you do need to start it.
    Good luck

LostMyWay
    Thanks, my mood took a huge nosedive yesterday so I ended up starting them anyway. Fingers crossed now

Sorry about your mood, but well done for taking them..