Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Venlafaxine and sore mouth

Probably in the studio in North Zummerset

Venlafaxine and sore mouth

I have been taking venlafaxine for about 4 years now. For the first few years I had very few side effects but about two years ago I started developing a sore mouth.My GP at first thought it was thrush and treated it as such but it did not go away and then she decided that it was a side effect of my medication, that my mouth was getting too dry and ulcers were forming.
    This has gone on now ever since and sometimes it gets so bad that the pain makes me want to cry and certainly stops me wanting to eat anything. Some foods I have to avoid completely, I cant eat anything with chilli in it (even the slightest hint of it and its like eating razor blades) and black pepper and baking powder I have to avoid, as well as alcohol. I have to carefully check the ingredients in anything I have to make sure it is suitably bland and even then I may have a problem (last night half a bounty bar had me in agony).
    I wake up at night with a dry mouth and have a dry mouth spray that will relieve it but I have to brace myself to use it as it will sting to use it. I also have a ready supply of sugar free menthol sweets that I suck to help relieve the discomfort as well as keep my mouth moist during the day.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am thinking of asking the doc to take me off all anti depressants as I dont think I can carry on like this much longer but if I am alone in this side effect maybe its something else?

I get a very dry mouth with venlafaxine. I do get soreness but that's down to my inhaler (which has a high amount of steroids in it) and is controllable if I gargle. If it's that bad please go back to your dr. You shouldn't have to cope with that
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Hi Pen, I take Venlafaxine and thankfully haven't had this problem.
    Perhaps you could ask to decrease a little bit and see if the problem gets a bit better, if it does you know its the medication and if it doesn't then it might be something else?
    Good luck

Thanks rose. The pdoc did that last year but did not seem to make a difference.

What else could be causing it, do you have an inhaler like Paula does?
    I get mouth ulcers and it always happens when I am run down or under lots of stress. Could it be that?

No dont use an inhaler. It has been like this for years so i dont think it is because i am run down.

If reducing it didn't make it any better then are you sure that's what it is? I definitely agree, go back to your dr and ask for help.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Dont think that going to see my gp will help. My previous one was stumped as to what it could be and I dont suppose my current one will be much better. I also think that he will say "well you have put up with it for several years so why complain now?"

I don't think anyone knows what causes mouth ulcers. Presumably you have tried bonjela? There is an adult version too.

Different Drs see things differently so you never know, lovely. You shouldn't have to put up with this
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.