Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loneliness

Loneliness

I don't know if this is in the right place or not, i don't think loneliness is an illness but it is related to depression.
    It was in the news today that loneliness is on the increase and they were looking at ways to deal with the situation.
    I have experience of it myself and it is an easy way of life to slip into.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to be own your own; it is fine. I think the problem happens when it affects your way of thinking.
    For example. Not washing yourself because you don't go out; or not cleaning your house because no one visits.
    That's when it becomes a problem and if you recognize these signs the it could become a serious problem, It is then you should see a doctor. You don't have to be lonely on your own, there are loads of stuff to keep you mind occupied. Even going out for a short brisk walk can be good.
    One of the thing our church dose is an outreach programme to visit the elderly, but what is happening more often is they are coming across a lot of professional people who are just too busy to have a social life. I don't really know they answer to being lonely but my point is not to let it affect you in a negative way.
    They look at me and think I'm cool, I'm purplefan at night I rule.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to purplefan For This Useful Post:

Paula (08-04-15),Suzi (08-04-15)

Loneliness is my biggest problem. Its not about being alone, but feeling alone. It gets to the point where I wonder what's the point if I can't share it with anybody. Like going on a walk, get your hair cut, cook a nice meal. I know people say do it for yourself. But it really does not matter to me.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Samantha340 For This Useful Post:

purplefan (08-04-15),Suzi (08-04-15)

I'm with you on this one. Loneliness is a problem for me too. I can be on my own from when I drop Aisling to school until I pick her up again at about 3. I go to the day centre three days a week which helps, and the other 2 days I find a problem.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to magie06 For This Useful Post:

purplefan (08-04-15)

I'm in a similar situation in that I'm usually alone for 7/8 hours a day, but for an extrovert like me, it doesn't bother me anymore. I don't know what changed or how to change it. I do my study, my cross stitch and I perhaps see a friend 1/2 times a week, but I'm ok. Maybe Its the dogs?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha340 View Post
    Loneliness is my biggest problem. Its not about being alone, but feeling alone. It gets to the point where I wonder what's the point if I can't share it with anybody. Like going on a walk, get your hair cut, cook a nice meal. I know people say do it for yourself. But it really does not matter to me.
    I think samantha that you make a very interesting point about not being alone but feeling alone. It can begin to seep into your very being and consume your thoughts.
    When you start to feel alone how do you break the cycle of negative thoughts? Or is it a negative thought "Feeling alone"? I have heard you can feel alone in a crowded room, i have also heard you can enjoy your own company. Is there a balance we can achieve about being and feeling alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    I'm in a similar situation in that I'm usually alone for 7/8 hours a day, but for an extrovert like me, it doesn't bother me anymore. I don't know what changed or how to change it. I do my study, my cross stitch and I perhaps see a friend 1/2 times a week, but I'm ok. Maybe Its the dogs?
    I think because as christians we are taught that you are never alone with God. I know prayer can be a great comfort when your alone it can help with negative thoughts, but it must still be pretty bad paula with the pain you go through?

You stopped me in my tracks there. You're right, I am never alone. I talk to God all the time and didn't even realise it

I'm a very practical person and, although I do have pain all the time, I manage it practically. I've learnt to manage and look after myself. My pain consultant recently wrote to my gp that I was managing daily life well .and he's right. It's when my depression and anxiety takes over that I struggle to cope
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I definitely know this feeling of loneliness in a room full of people. Its more a like 'it doesn't matter if I am around or not' Maybe its attention seeking, but then I don't like being the centre of attention. I guess you have to be active to not feel lonely, join a club, precipitate in conversation, put yourself out there

I've felt so alone in the past so I do understand. Now I'm lucky. I have you all to moan to! I think a lot of it comes down to the break down of society and communities.
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Knight of Spamswotting by Highest order of Chufty Badges Jarre's Avatar
    It is one thing my current job has helped as after 3 years working on my own at home on my own the comradery and just having people about I missed, now I am surrounded at work and days go quicker and I can enjoy the work again. At home I have only friends here, in my game, on other end of skype (H in Aus) and speak to C on the phone every other night. if I don't keep my mind busy when at home it can set in especially since my cat buggered off and not considering another till I have moved in a year or so as want a better place and get apair so they have each other when I am at work.