Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First timer - questions about sertraline?

Quote Originally Posted by rose View Post
    Remember that you will see horror stories online because people tend to talk more about the bad stuff than the bad stuff.
    That should have said
    Remember that you will see horror stories online because people tend to talk more about the bad stuff than the GOOD stuff.

CharlieJackpot
    I took my first dose yesterday and have taken my second this morning. Feeling a bit less worried about it all today especially after reading your replies.

Things with my partner have become extremely complicated, and this is one of the main reasons I've finally sought help. We've been together nearly 5 years and in that time I have always had episodes of low moods, pushing him away, struggling to let myself feel close to him and the already mentioned low sex drive. I can also be very critical and when we argue I find it hard to control my emotions. He also finds it difficult that I cope with different aspects of my life by compartmentalisng, so for instance I would always rather see my friends without him, where he's much more of a 'we come as a package' kind of person.

Things came to a head in Feb this year and we ended up barely speaking apart from some pretty heated arguments for around 6 weeks. In this time he began to see someone else.

I couldn't even tell you where we're currently at. He's no longer seeing this person, however we both have reservations about our relationship continuing for obvious reasons. My trust in him has taken a huge knock and he doesn't think I will do anything to look at the way I've behaved in our relationship or deal with my depression.

No idea where things will go with us, but despite all of that I know that I really need to sort myself out for whatever comes next, and if this has been the catalyst for me finally admitting that there is something I need to sort out then at least I've found the silver lining!

CharlieJackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    Wrt your oh, are the problems you're having because of the depression, or are they part of the trigger?
    Sorry to post again but in answer to this; I think it's been a bit of both. There are definitely major problems that have been caused by the depression, but these problems have in turn created a situation which triggers my depression even more. For example, when I've made him feel unloved or unattractive, or made it clear that I don't want to be around him, he feels low and so stops helping around the house. This then triggers my moods because I can't cope with dirt when I'm feeling low.

At the moment we've both taken a step back from the relationship, although we're still in contact and have come to something of an understanding. I'm staying weekends with my parents, and when we're both in the house we are able to at least talk to each other again.

I sincerely hope getting the right treatment for your depression will help you to understand where you are in your relationship. I've been with my husband for 16 years, and I too push him away when I'm low. Fortunately he knows it's the illness and just keeps loving me anyway, but it's taken a lot of effort to keep us together. Doing what you're doing is a very common symptom of depression
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I'm wishing you the very best in your recovery. I too have problems with my relationship when I'm sick. It's difficult but I've got a very caring OH and although at the beginning it was hard for him. He had to take carers leave to look after our little girl, and me when I came out of hospital. He started looking after my medication around that time too, and still does. And I'm happy with that.
    It does get easier, but you won't feel better tomorrow. It takes time and a lot of hard work but it does happen.

ERM you've been together for 5 years and in 6 weeks he started seeing someone else???? So why is it you who stays with your parents at weekends?
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

CharlieJackpot
    Staying with parents is my choice really, we both needed space and I didn't want to be alone in the house, dealing with housework and looking after the dog, etc.

It's a long and complicated story; I'm in no way justifying his seeing someone else (secretly I might add, I still thought we were 'together' although having a very bad time) but I have to contextualise his betrayal in terms of my own actions and behaviour too. He did something very wrong, but I've done a lot of wrong too. Whether we'll be able to forgive each other is something we can't answer right now.

Have you considered relationship counselling?
    The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.

I'd suggest something like RELATE too...
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

CharlieJackpot
    Relationship counselling is something he's asked for many times and I always refused, in the same way as I refused to seek help for my depression, because 'there's nothing wrong with me'. It's been mentioned again by both of us recently and I think it's something we should definitely do providing the relationship survives long enough. Baby steps though, this week has seen lots of changes in me and I'm trying to take things one day at a time.