Page 152 of 300 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 2992

Thread: Finally getting through it? *trigger*

And look at you now, your own business in art and the classes you are running a t eacher as well. Do you still see your old art teacher? I would love to put her nose into it. Well done you!

Probably in the studio in North Zummerset
    I would have loved to but it was over 30 years ago and he was an old man close to retirement then so I suspect he is long gone. In a way he did me a favour as I made a good living in electronics and was able to be a good enough financial position now to be able to do this. I think if I had stayed in art at that age I would have ended up working in McDondalds like a lot of art students.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal.

Pfft what's important is that you are doing it! You are not only creating your own items, but you are teaching! You are amazing!
    Do a little of something that makes you happy every day!

Somedays can be quite frustrating though, I have spent almost all day mixing up coloured slips. Currently I am part way through making a fresh batch of base slip. Its like baking a cake only more dangerous, I have to use 50% of one thing then 20 of another and 10 of three others. They all go into a mixing bowl and then you add water and make a batter. This is then sieved. Until the water goes in you have to be really careful not to breath the powder or it will coat your lungs and suffocate you... Lovely stuff. I could buy the colours all ready made up but they are over twice the price doing that.
    Once I have finished this slip I have a batch of russet glaze to mix up. Again the safety mask will have to go on. As I wear glasses my breath coming out the top of the mask fogs them up, so I have to take them off and then I struggle to see the quantities I am mixing so I put them back on then have to take them off again as they are steamed up...

That does sound frustrating.... Is it not something which one of your apprentices could be doing or at least helping with?

I did get H to make 25 test tiles today which was a help. I need more staff... but I have no money to pay them... I wonder how I get work experience kids...

Maybe let a secondary school near you know that you're available?

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    How about college students coming to help out for the experience
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR

Been looking into the schools work experience. The kids only come in July and there are a huge number of hoops to jump through so thats out. I may contact the college and see what they say but I have only been trading for 5 minutes so they may not be too keen.

Guardian of the North and kipper holder Angie's Avatar
    I would contact them as you wont know unless you ask hunni x
    If you can’t fly, then run, if you can’t run, then walk, if you can’t walk, then crawl, but by all means keep moving.
    Quote by Martin Luther King JR