PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

magie06
29-04-15, 10:33 AM
I'm going to be up this week at weight watchers and its so bad, I don't want to go. I think I'm up about 3 pounds. What should I do?
Any suggestions welcome.

rose
29-04-15, 12:33 PM
Stop paying to go to something you hate, and do your own weightloss scheme at home?

Suzi
29-04-15, 02:15 PM
Do you actually enjoy weight watchers at all?

magie06
29-04-15, 02:25 PM
I like the fact that it makes me get up on a Thursday, get myself ready and meet other people that have the same problem as me. They all know what it's like to have weight to lose. I do enjoy it when I go and I know that I'll put the weight back on in no time if I don't go. At least with weight watchers its going up one week and going down the next.

rose
29-04-15, 02:30 PM
OK, so what about instead of doing weight watchers, going to some sort of exercise class once a week instead?

magie06
29-04-15, 02:33 PM
Yes Rose. There is a swimming pool near where I live that has a gym upstairs. I've never thought about gym before. I thought it was only for thin people!

rose
29-04-15, 02:42 PM
Aqua aerobics might be good for you? Less pressure on your body and no swimming involved? I know you struggle with back pain.
But it still gives the sense of a community and meeting people, but you'll actually lose weight at the same time, rather than being made to feel bad about it?
I know I am being down on WW, but I never really fancied it myself, ever since years ago I had an old manager who used to go and she said basically you get weighed in front of everyone and then feel bad about whatever the outcome is. She hated it too.

Paula
29-04-15, 04:39 PM
My friend used to help someone who ran a WW class. Every week she had to prepare a report for Head Office with all sorts of stats. Not one of those stats was about weight loss - all they cared about were numbers of people and how much money was made. The organisation doesn't really want you to lose weight, as they lose paying members. In fact, yoyo dieters are perfect for them. however, if it's helping, then that's great :)

magie06
29-04-15, 06:17 PM
I've decided that I will go to weight watchers tomorrow. I'm going to be up, but I'll ask the leader if she can suggest something that could get me moving weight wise. If she doesn't then I'm not going back. I'm still not great at the walking at the moment, but aqua aerobics sounds like a good idea.

Suzi
29-04-15, 07:36 PM
I'm glad that you've made a decision which seems to be the best thing for you lovely..

magie06
29-04-15, 07:48 PM
Rose, how are you doing?

rose
30-05-15, 10:23 PM
I weighed in at 14st 13lbs again today, the same as last week.
I started my diet again today. OH and I agreed my 'job' for the next 4 weeks is losing weight.
I would like to lose half a stone by the end of June.

Suzi
31-05-15, 09:45 AM
STS isn't a bad thing hunni... You can do the diet thing lovely. Just don't be too harsh on yourself.

magie06
31-05-15, 12:01 PM
Rose take it easy. I've been 14st 7 since before Christmas and can't seem to loose any more. I can't understand it. Unless I go back to aqua aerobics, that's the only thing that has changed.

Paula
31-05-15, 12:54 PM
I've put on (at the last count, I've lost the nerve to weigh myself again) 3/4 stone since my thyroxine levels took a nose dive. It's really upsetting, even though I know it's not my fault, none of my clothes fit properly and I just feel awful.

rose
31-05-15, 01:02 PM
(panda)

Why do you gain weight, is it because you feel more hungry, or because you retain more?

Day 2 of my diet and I am hungry constantly. All I can do is keep myself distracted from the hunger pains.
I am eating normally, but my medication makes me want to eat and eat, I never feel full.

Paula
31-05-15, 01:12 PM
Underactive thyroid slows the metabolism right down, almost to a standstill. http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Thyroid-under-active/Pages/Symptoms.aspx It's like your body shuts down, and you're wading through sludge. And because I actually had my thyroid nuked several years ago, I have no thyroid function - it's all reliant on my medication controlling it. Which it's not. The dose has been upped but it can take a while to recover

rose
31-05-15, 08:20 PM
That sounds horrible Paula. At least you know why you are gaining weight, but its not much consolation I bet.

I am literally craving chocolate so bad right now I don't know what to do with myself. I am counting down the minutes until each meal.
Today I've had for breakfast a bowl of cereal, for lunch roast chicken with two roast potatoes and two yorkshire puddings and loads of veg, and for dinner a chicken/brie sandwich with grapes for after. About 1,100 calories so far, maybe more. I have hunger pains.

Suzi
31-05-15, 09:00 PM
Hunger pains aren't good hunni....

rose
31-05-15, 09:02 PM
But what can I do Suzi? To make them stop I have to over-eat. I'd rather have the pains than go blind from IIH. Its all for the greater good.

Suzi
31-05-15, 09:12 PM
Can you not snack on more salad? carrot? raw cabbage? that kind of thing? Could that help to take away the hunger pains and also to fool your body into believing that it's being fed more too?

matt
31-05-15, 09:18 PM
Drinking a lot of water can help with hunger pains

rose
31-05-15, 09:19 PM
I might have some more fruit if I get really bad. Its sugar I am craving. I even have a bit of a headache. I think I might be physically addicted to chocolate! But I need encouragement that I can do this... no giving in .... because I need to lose weight and I have very little willpower.

rose
31-05-15, 09:19 PM
Drinking a lot of water can help with hunger pains

Yep I've been trying that too, thanks :)

Paula
31-05-15, 10:35 PM
That sounds horrible Paula. At least you know why you are gaining weight, but its not much consolation I bet.

No, it's not much consolation at all, i never lose it as quickly as I gain it. It's really upsetting me today, though I've been feeling particularly rough and keep falling asleep upright on the sofa, so that's not helping. And of course, one of the symptoms is depression .....

rose
01-06-15, 05:38 AM
Paula - (panda) - how long does it usually take to stabilise?

Awake at 5am, hungry. I've had a banana, that seemed to help. Wow, this is hard.

Paula
01-06-15, 09:54 AM
About 2 months :(

selena
01-06-15, 10:05 AM
I lost off some ( few in fact) inches of my back and breast, but not an inch off my waist.

I've been on diet, but it's all hormonal problems I guess.

rose
01-06-15, 10:20 AM
They say that your boobs are the first to lose weight and last to gain weight. I don't know if that's true though!!!

My weight is falling, so the pain is worth it. All I have done is cut out my chocolate intake from my diet, so its perfectly safe.

Suzi
01-06-15, 11:59 AM
(panda) to everyone who needs them. Dieting sucks.

rose
01-06-15, 01:11 PM
It does suck! But its worth it to see the weight do down.
When I go to the hospital later I'll have a moccha, its my treat for doing so well so far.

magie06
01-06-15, 01:39 PM
I don't think its the big events that make me put on weight, I think its the day to day bad habits that I have that are making it difficult for me to lose weight.
Its the biscuits when I'm passing the press, its the icecream when I'm in the utility room, its the extra scoop of mash with my dinner. If I was able to control myself, I might be able to lose the weight. It sounds so easy when you are sitting in ww, and you hear all the things that have worked if only I could pass those places then I might start losing weight again.

selena
02-06-15, 12:20 PM
For me everything is difficult to get.

Before I got diagnosed with PCOS, I used to eat everything ( generally healthy food, including dairy products and sometimes sweets) without gaining weight.

After diagnosis, exercising and diet barely help, although they are necessary in my case.

magie06
04-06-15, 01:46 PM
Down 4 this morning at ww. Very happy coming out of there.. That's 7 pounds since I went back. If I can keep this up, I'll be a very happy ww person.

rose
04-06-15, 01:50 PM
Magie, that's awesome, what do you weight now? 14st'3lbs?

magie06
04-06-15, 02:01 PM
Spot on Rose. I haven't been this weight for at least 3 or 4 years.
I stayed away from the biscuits and ice creams, and I actually walked a bit this week.
Ww says, its still the same things you have to do, eat less and move more.

Paula
04-06-15, 04:01 PM
Brilliant news!

Suzi
04-06-15, 04:42 PM
Well done hunni!

purplefan
04-06-15, 05:52 PM
Well done magie06. I'm trying to cut back. Ive eaten too many take aways and pie and mash since the family went on holiday. So i am going on the porridge diet.
Nothing but porridge for a week!.

rose
04-06-15, 06:01 PM
Lol pf!

Suzi
04-06-15, 08:49 PM
Lol! I'm trying to drink more water..... ;)

purplefan
05-06-15, 09:50 AM
This is where is got the info from.

http://www.weightlossladder.com/porridge-power-2-32/

Paula
05-06-15, 11:18 AM
Ummm purple, the website was blocked by my Sky Boadband Shield as containing categories of Suicide and Self Harm?????

purplefan
05-06-15, 02:52 PM
Oh paula im so sorry. I just looked at the diet bit. I had no idea. could you remove it please?

rose
05-06-15, 03:01 PM
I didn't get that warning, the page looks ok. Although PF you are obviously joking about just eating porridge, aren't you?!!!

Suzi
05-06-15, 05:40 PM
I didn't get that warning either. That sounds like a terrible diet.. .

Paula
05-06-15, 05:44 PM
That's why I didn't remove it - it seemed odd but wasn't sure. It's still blocking me though - me no understand

purplefan
05-06-15, 11:29 PM
No rose. i am obviously going to eat fruit and vegetables but porridge will be my main staple. Although i did go out for a kebab tonight.

rose
05-06-15, 11:29 PM
That sounds sensible... the kebab bit I mean ;)

purplefan
05-06-15, 11:45 PM
obviously. No i am a bit worried about my podge i have going on. A lot of A list celebs seem to rave about porridge. And in the Old days was the main meal for 90% of scotland.
For breakfast tomorrow i will have a bowl of porridge made with soya mil and a banana.

Lunch porridge oat cakes and an apple. Glass of orange juice. or water or something.

Afternoon snack. Some grapes and a cup of tea.

Evening meal porridge with semi skimmed milk and some berries. and a cup of tea.

drink plenty of water. Every other day will have a main meal with mainly fish and chicken but no red meats and lots of veg. i am into asparagus at the moment. So tomorrow i will do chicken thighs in garlic and lemon with potato's and roasted asparagus.

Paula
06-06-15, 09:12 AM
I'm up to a stone gained weight - feeling pretty crap about it really :(

Suzi
06-06-15, 11:23 AM
Oh hunni (bear) It'll come off once everything has settled. Just be kind to yourself lovely...

magie06
06-06-15, 12:08 PM
Oh Paula, I think I know how you are feeling. I'm hoping that my back exercises will help me along with my weight loss. I'm already up on my weight loss since Thursday. About 2 pounds I think.

purplefan
06-06-15, 12:45 PM
I would not worry too much about it paula. (bear) Just focus on the things that you know help you lose weight.

rose
06-06-15, 01:32 PM
I was down 3lbs this week which is good.
Paula, what exercise can you do?

magie06
06-06-15, 01:53 PM
Well done Rose. You must be delighted.

Paula
06-06-15, 02:05 PM
I was down 3lbs this week which is good.
Paula, what exercise can you do?

Very little. My friend and I go to a swimming pool and do some gentle exercises for our knees and some walking through the water - but it's more to do with strengthening the leg than calorie burning. Unfortunately, until my thyroid settles there's nothing I can do to control the weight gain

Well done, Rose :)

Suzi
06-06-15, 04:51 PM
Paula hunni, I know that it's not much consolation that it's down to medication, but hunni (bear) it will come off.

rose
06-06-15, 05:06 PM
It's your thyroid isn't it Paula? Do you find it comes off once things settle down, or do you have to work it off? Maybe swimming could work for you, if you use your arms predominantly?

Paula
06-06-15, 09:05 PM
It's my thyroid. I can't remember whether it comes straight off - it does fluctuate but it's been years since its been this bad. Thanks for the thought re swimming, Rose but the point of the swimming pool is to try to strengthen my leg before my spinal cord stimulation and I can't balance very well so arms are very definitely for balance lol.

Suzi, I hope you're right, I really do :(

Suzi
06-06-15, 10:29 PM
It will do lovely.

rose
06-06-15, 11:25 PM
I wasn't sure if you found swimming hard due to putting pressure on your legs when kicking. I hope once your thyroid settles that you can start to work it off again.

Paula
06-06-15, 11:34 PM
I can't swim, I just do physio exercises in the water, and 'walk' around for a bit. Thanks hunni

Nita
21-06-15, 10:02 AM
I need to join back in. I've been asked to attend a photo shoot with the family in August. So I don't want to have this much weight on me by the end of that month. Want some pics of me and them that look nice. So I'm back using myfitnesspal app to track my calories for the days and planning meals in advance on there to see roughly how much things are

Also, my neighbour lent me a really good book called carbs and cals. Have a look on Amazon to see it. It is basically a series of pictures where they show you the plate diameter, the food such as mashed potato and the various portion sizes and what's in them calories etc. it's a really good visual aid I think.

magie06
21-06-15, 11:20 AM
I'd like to be allowed back in, if possible.

Suzi
21-06-15, 11:44 AM
Always allowed to continue to post in here x

rose
21-06-15, 12:27 PM
I put on 1lb this week.
Everyone is welcome on this thread :)

Suzi
21-06-15, 07:57 PM
I have no idea, my scales are (as most things) in a box......

Paula
21-06-15, 08:38 PM
Maybe that's the last box you unpack ;)

Paula
21-06-15, 08:39 PM
Oh and I lost 1lb last week, so the thyroid is stabilising (yay!)

rose
27-06-15, 10:45 AM
I started this week at 14st10bs and over the week I have watched my weight fall. Yesterday I was 14st7lbs. Awesome.
Today, actual weight-in day, I am 14st11lbs!!!!! I knew I shouldn't have eaten all that chinese food last night.

Suzi
27-06-15, 11:17 AM
Sweetheart weighing every day isn't meant to be the best thing lovely..

Samantha340
27-06-15, 11:25 AM
Dont torture yourself with weighing very day. Of course it will fluctuate, depending what you did on the day, how much water your drunk and so on. How about banning the scale for 2 weeks and just follow your natural instinct what to eat and when.

Mira
27-06-15, 11:49 AM
I know the others are right about not weighing every day. But I too do it. I even have an app for tracking it. The bad thing is that when you eat something that can give us fun and a good night and the scale is harsh you might stop doing it and then it will become torture.

rose
27-06-15, 12:10 PM
But if I hadn't weighed myself in the week, I'd now be under the impression that eating less and doing brickwork had made me gain 1lb.
Whereas I know actually I lost 3lbs until I ate all that Chinese food at 9pm last night (which was when OH came home).
If I don't weigh myself every few days, I lose interest, and I gain weight.
I'm sure its different for everyone, but this works best for me.

Samantha340
27-06-15, 12:18 PM
Fair point.... Just try and keep it at a healthy level and don't get addicted to it.

magie06
27-06-15, 01:46 PM
I weigh every day too. I was upset about my ww weight this week because I was up 3 pounds.
I have bought the points finder, and I point everything, thats wrapped with the four main elements of food, example - protein, carbs, total fat and fibre. Take yesterday, Aisling had a cookie for dessert in the restaurant, and I was going to get one too, but when I had calculated the pro points in it, it came out at 10 points. I have 49points for the week.

Suzi
27-06-15, 08:35 PM
If it's what works for you then go for it..

magie06
27-06-15, 08:56 PM
I think I did well today. I don't think that I went over my points today. Horrah. I'm normally in the take away twice and three times over the weekend.

Nita
13-07-15, 02:25 PM
Having weighed myself todY I have lost 8lb in the last two weeks so am feeling a bit more positive about it

Suzi
13-07-15, 04:36 PM
Well done hun!

Paula
13-07-15, 04:54 PM
That's brilliant!

My has finally stopped going up. Just have to hope it goes down as quickly

Jaquaia
14-07-15, 11:02 AM
Possibly going swimming today, it's a workout just getting in to my costume! I've not been in a pool in 20 years so panicking slightly!

Paula
14-07-15, 11:05 AM
Possibly going swimming today, it's a workout just getting in to my costume! I've not been in a pool in 20 years so panicking slightly!

Well done Jaq, I hope you enjoy it :)

Suzi
14-07-15, 06:36 PM
Did you manage it?

Jaquaia
14-07-15, 08:29 PM
No, his knee was bad today and I get in on a carers card. Gutted as I'd psyched myself up to do it and was actually starting to look forward to it :(

Suzi
14-07-15, 10:05 PM
You could always do it another day lovely..

Justin Tolerable
15-07-15, 12:03 PM
I'm 79.0 kilograms today. Six feet and two inches.

Justin Tolerable
15-07-15, 12:04 PM
Lost a stone and more in about 6 months. I don't miss booze.

rose
15-07-15, 12:42 PM
I'm 79.0 kilograms today. Six feet and two inches.

That's really good, I'm jealous!!!

Justin Tolerable
15-07-15, 01:57 PM
People say a person's alcohol problems are only really solved when that person can enjoy moderate amounts like in occasional social situations and then leave it at a pint or two. I haven't tried drinking a little and then stopping. It seems like a pointless and unnecessary test. Even if I did 'pass' the test I would just introduce more expense into my life as booze is much more expensive than most other drinks. And who is that test supposed to impress and what is it intended to prove? I have passed it in a sense anyway as I don't mind visiting pubs (like to have a cheap coffee) and being surrounded by people drinking alcohol. It doesn't tempt me and it doesn't upset me. I'd rather save money for a rainy day than throw it away on alcohol.

magie06
15-07-15, 03:27 PM
Tomorrow is weigh day for me. I stuck to the rules this week, so I should be down, but only time will tell. The only time in my life that I'll be happy to be down.

purplefan
15-07-15, 08:29 PM
Tomorrow is weigh day for me. I stuck to the rules this week, so I should be down, but only time will tell. The only time in my life that I'll be happy to be down.

Hope it all goes well magie. best of luck.

Jaquaia
15-07-15, 08:32 PM
Hope you're down magie! It's my first time swimming since I was 11 tomorrow! Unless his knee is bad again

magie06
15-07-15, 08:42 PM
Good luck Jacquaia, I'll be thinking of you. What time are you in the pool?

Suzi
15-07-15, 09:13 PM
Good luck to you both!

Paula
15-07-15, 09:19 PM
Hope you're down magie! It's my first time swimming since I was 11 tomorrow! Unless his knee is bad again

Hope it al goes to plan :)

magie06
16-07-15, 11:18 AM
Up one pound. Not happy with myself, but I'm not surprised, because I didn't do much walking this week. My back was too sore, and I wasn't able to go out. Next week I'll be down. And, my size 22 trousers are getting too big for me, happy days.

rose
16-07-15, 12:00 PM
Its so hard to get weight off, and even then its 1-2lbs and that's so easy to put back on. I am hoping the Orlistat will help me because I don't seem to have the willpower to do this on my own.
You're just over 14 and a half now Magie? You are still beating me. At one point we were the same.

magie06
16-07-15, 12:07 PM
Yes Rose, back again to 14st 7lbs. I'll never get over this hump, either its a physical cause, a medicinal cause or a mental cause. If its physical, I need to get up and walk to see results. If its medicinal there is nothing I can do about that, and if a mental block I don't know what I can do about it?

Jaquaia
16-07-15, 12:34 PM
Magie, yay for trousers getting too big! Don't worry too much about the pound, it could even be something like water retention if your period is due, that sort of thing.

Jaquaia
16-07-15, 05:16 PM
I've actually forgotten how to swim. My mind went blank and I panicked and now I feel stupid because I can swim.

Justin Tolerable
16-07-15, 08:47 PM
I've actually forgotten how to swim. My mind went blank and I panicked and now I feel stupid because I can swim.

It's just like riding a bike...

Jaquaia
16-07-15, 08:55 PM
I know I can do it but I've not swam in 20 years. I just kept going under when I tried which made my anxiety worse. Deep down I know it was panicking that made it worse for me and I just need to get used to it again.

Paula
16-07-15, 09:27 PM
(bear) try to take it a step at a time, maybe just get used to being in the water first?

Justin Tolerable
16-07-15, 10:00 PM
(bear) try to take it a step at a time

She can already walk. She wants to swim.

Suzi
16-07-15, 10:22 PM
Absolutely take your time with it. You might want to think about an adult refresher learn to swim kind of class?

purplefan
18-07-15, 11:01 PM
There is an adult class at my local baths for people who want to gain confidence. I think if your bath have one you should give it a go.

rose
18-07-15, 11:21 PM
Down 2 lbs this week, yay, back to 14st 11lbs

magie06
18-07-15, 11:23 PM
Well done Rose.

Suzi
19-07-15, 10:45 AM
Well done lovely!

rose
25-07-15, 07:17 AM
Despite walking around half an hour a day, avoiding chocolate and reducing medication.... I was up 2lbs this morning. Very disappointed.

Samantha340
25-07-15, 07:32 AM
2 lbd could be water. Do you weigh yourself at the same time of day and importantly always either before/after breakfast to take in those changes. Is your scale accurate enough? Depending where it stands it will give different values.

rose
25-07-15, 09:06 AM
Yep, always Saturday morning before breakfast, on the same spot on the bathroom floor. Does anyone else gain weight just before TOTM? It could be that?

magie06
25-07-15, 10:55 AM
It certainly could be that Rose. Don't been too hard on yourself, you started a new job that's just brilliant.

Suzi
25-07-15, 11:24 AM
I can go up a whole dress size before TOTM.... Also don't forget that muscle weighs more than fat so if you're burning calories turning muscle to fat you will gain weight too...

Mrs-Darling
25-07-15, 12:05 PM
When I had periods I always weighed more just before them. A lot of women tend to hold onto more water at this time.

rose
25-07-15, 06:21 PM
The muscle weighs more than fat thing is a myth Suzi... its true in the sense that it does weigh more, but the amount of muscle built is nowhere near enough to make you gain weight in such a short space of time.
I am guessing its water weight and that the world is a cruel place!!!

Suzi
25-07-15, 07:15 PM
Shhhh that was my only hope... ;( (rofl)
It probably is water retention lovely..

magie06
06-08-15, 12:54 PM
I don't know if anyone is still doing this weight loss, but I'm after being down 2 pounds this morning at ww. I was very happy because I missed last week, but the scale was nice to me today. I will probably regret this next week, but I'm off the 14stone 7lbs at last. Just very happy about that.

Suzi
06-08-15, 07:05 PM
Well done hunni!
I still haven't found my scales, but I put my jeans on for the first time in a couple of weeks and they are definitely looser!

magie06
06-08-15, 07:33 PM
Great. I love those kind of jeans.

rose
06-08-15, 08:40 PM
I just cannot lose weight, whatever I do it won't go down.
But my IIH symptoms are pretty much nothing so does it really matter?

magie06
06-08-15, 08:49 PM
I have resigned myself to not loosing any more weight, until my meds are reduced. If I lose anymore now, it will be a bonus!