PDA

View Full Version : Tablet reminders

Angie
02-07-13, 02:30 PM
Ok I know quite a few here are on more than one type of medication and it can be hard to always remember which tablet to take when and to remember them all.

What techniques and things does everyone use to remember what tablet to take when etc

I have a weekly pill box with 7 days worth in with different boxes per day named morning lunch tea and bedtime on it, that I fill on a Sunday night after taking my last tablet of the day, that is sat next to my laptop in full view so is always reminding me its there.

What techniques does everyone else have ?

Dollydimple
02-07-13, 02:54 PM
I take the majority of my tablets with my dinner, i have tablets that i can take as i need them - buscopan, i can take 20mg every 6 hours. I also take cyclizine which is every 8 hours. From what I've read, i don't take nearly as many tablets as others although for me i take more than I'd like!!

I use the times of the drug rounds on the ward to work out when i take my meds, the times are ingrained in my head and some of the meds are similar to those prescribed so I'm aware of the timings.

Jarre
02-07-13, 02:56 PM
Andriod and Iphones can have special apps that you put the tab times in and tehy will tell you when to take them.

Suzi
02-07-13, 03:16 PM
Lol, I have a tub (old one which had cakes in it) with 1 strip/bottle of each of my meds and I take that and a bottle of water up with me to bed so I can take them as soon as I wake up.
My lunch ones I normally know when I'm due thanks to pain.
My evening handful or two I have an alarm set on my phone which says "Take your meds" ;)

Paula
02-07-13, 04:27 PM
I have a similar system to yours, Angie, but it failed this week cos I forgot to put one of my ADs in so have been ill since Saturday without realising til 11 last night why :/ I'm now planning to do a spreadsheet of all my meds to act as a checklist when I fill up my pill box

Angie
02-07-13, 05:01 PM
Spreadsheet sounds a great idea hun x

purplefan
06-08-13, 05:04 PM
I have mine in a tray i bought from the chemist. It has little compartments
so you can take them at different times. I also have an alarm on my mobile phone that reminds me.

EJ
26-08-13, 05:05 PM
I still have problems with this. At the moment I take three lithium tablets (priadel)mirtazapine tablet and one breathing tablet. The problem is that the mirtazapine tablet is never the same month by month. Sometimes it is red sometimes lozenge shape.This month it is circular. I am not sure whether all my tablets would fit in a pill dispenser. I take evening primrose and Angus cactus as well. At the moment they are in a small basket. I take them at night in bed so frequently lose one of them in the duvet. Usually I realise what I have done. Sometimes the pharmacist lets me choose the mirtazapine but mostly not.

EJ
26-08-13, 05:06 PM
Priadel is always the same.It never changes

Angie
26-08-13, 05:07 PM
It can be hard hun, my main time is when my dosage changes it can take me a few days to remember to take the new dose

Paula
26-08-13, 06:27 PM
I take 30 pills a day, and have managed to find a pill tray that fits them all, Elizabeth.

Suzi
26-08-13, 08:31 PM
I have one too! It was brilliant when we went away so I didn't have to take all my boxes with me..

JonoClouds
28-08-13, 09:38 AM
Hello Everyone

I saw a tip further back in this thread suggesting the use of a phone app to remind about meds.

I have an Android phone and it was instantly obvious on the Google Play Store that there are dozens of reminder apps, some free, others with a price.
I looked through the list and tried several free ones. The winner was Dosecast. It's free and reasonably small (my phone is an entry-level HTC with rather limited memory). It was easy to set up with my meds and you can choose any sound you like for the reminder chime.
I have no connection with this app's publisher, I just wanted to tell you that I found an app that works well for me and might suit you too.

Cheers - Jono

EJ
29-08-13, 07:00 PM
It is the shape and size of the tablets that is the problem. Lithium and mirtazapine look the same. I don't want to overdose on mirtazapine. I just have to be on the ball when I take my meds.The lozenge shape mirtazapine are the best and are larger than the lozenge shape mirtazapine. I just have to be on the ball when I take my meds.

Suzi
29-08-13, 07:44 PM
That's why I sort mine out each week in my special pill box which has 4 compartments which mean I can sort them all out morning, lunch, evening and night. I do it day by day..

EJ
07-09-13, 09:07 PM
I have run out of my breathing tablet so hopefully will not have any nasty side effects until I can get some more.

Suzi
07-09-13, 09:12 PM
Can you not get some more from an out of hours Dr?

EJ
07-09-13, 09:17 PM
I think it will be ok not like stopping anti ds abruptly.

Suzi
08-09-13, 09:29 AM
Make sure that if you do need them then you can get them lovely..

EJ
13-09-13, 06:46 PM
I have found the password to the online ordering prescriptions so a script is in the pipeline. I have a GP appointment next week anyway. I hope that she will update my purple lithium book as I have been feeling very tired of late. Could be the lithium or just me? If my levels were too high they would have contacted me????

Suzi
13-09-13, 08:15 PM
I would have thought so, but it's definitely worth asking..

Paula
14-09-13, 12:53 PM
Do they check your thyroid function when they check your lithium levels?

EJ
21-09-13, 04:28 PM
Hi Paula. My thyroid function is checked every three months and the result is written in the book. My lithium levels were a bit low this time 0.5 usually 0.7 but my GP did not mention it.

Four Candles
23-10-13, 10:52 PM
I'm sorry to say I'm total chaos at times with my meds. I have a tray with am and pm slots. Have to watch how many days you take out of original packaging as some things don't keep well at all. Generally I take full glass of water up to my room before bed and take night time dose with half of the glass, then take morning dose the minute I wake up with the second half of the glass. The problem is that if I get disturbed or off my usual morning routine (say one of the cats isn't well) then I may or may not remember. Still, most of what I take can go down me in a single daily dose anyway, so I have some flexibility. I'm better now than when I was tried on methotrexate for my joint problems: that just left me somewhere in outer space. Pain medication is not prompted: I usually say that if I'm in pain then that's all the reminder I need. My wife puts me to shame and remembers every single dose of her meds but then again she's had a transplant and the consequence of being dead if you don't take your medication correctly can be very persuasive.

Suzi
24-10-13, 01:50 PM
My meds tray has 4 slots (morning, lunch, tea, bed) and I spend about 30 mins each week sorting it out for the week ahead ;)

Four candles try really hard not to mess around with your dose time even as it will have a knock on effect lovely..

Four Candles
25-10-13, 01:42 AM
Don't worry, most information leaflets have a section on missing a dose and whether or not to take the dose late. Not something I do any more than absolutely necessary.

Eildon
05-11-13, 05:53 PM
I'm usually good at taking regular meds as have done for many years. My struggle is renewing prescriptions, which I've never got into the proper habit of doing, even though it's actually really easy. With my thyroxine, this then affects my depression and a negative cycle starts.

Suzi
05-11-13, 06:09 PM
Can you just get a repeat sent straight to your pharmacist and then pick it up once a month? I've found that really helpful..

Angie
05-11-13, 06:31 PM
Some pharmacists will deliver aswell x

Pen
05-11-13, 08:24 PM
Yes my pharmacy (Boots) contact the doctor for me and have the meds ready for me to pick up every week. Lots of places do it even the supermarkets now.

alphabetagamma
29-12-13, 11:13 PM
I use a technique which has been serving me very well. I have purchased larger sized 7 days pill storage box. Each of these seven pill boxes can store many tablets or capsules. Instead of using printed labels with name of days, I have printed names of medicines on plastic labels. Each of the seven boxes is then labeled with a medicine name and only one type of medicine is stored in each of the seven boxes. Depending on my requirement, I pick the medicine from the box and use it. To use this method, I strip all medicines out from their original blister packing and put in the appropriately labeled box.

fairy79
21-01-14, 07:24 PM
You can ask your pharmacist if they can make your meds up each month in a dossett pack/blister pack. All your meds are contained in the pack marked with the day of the week and time of doses. Easy to spot if you have missed a dose. I use an alarm on my phone and also carry a small pill box in my handbag so I can take an 'emergency' dose if I'm out and the alarm sounds. (I just have to remember to top that box up!)

rose
01-05-14, 12:56 PM
I have just gone through the dull task of counting up all my medicine to check I have enough for the weekend, what with it being a bank holiday this is extra important.
Keeping track of multiple doses of multiple medications that renew prescriptions at different times is really annoying!
I am not exactly a well organised person, I am going to flick through this thread to try and get some ideas on how others manage this.

Suzi
01-05-14, 01:49 PM
My pharmasist is lovely and will arrange it so I go once a month normally to pick up a carrier bag of it. I have a pill box with multiple sections per day and I sit and do mine in the evening (tonight as it happens) and I have an alarm on my phone which currently plays https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N_tupPBtWQ which is great as it's a laugh when around the kids who all now dance to it!

rose
01-05-14, 01:55 PM
LOL! I clicked on the link and my cat who is asleep next to me nearly jumped out of her skin!

Paula
01-05-14, 03:21 PM
I do mine once a week using this

http://i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t636/Paula_ryland/imagejpg1_zps82d423a2.jpg (http://s1317.photobucket.com/user/Paula_ryland/media/imagejpg1_zps82d423a2.jpg.html)

So you have 4 pots a day, for 7 days, but you can also pick up one days section and pop it in your bag/pocket and take it with you for the day

EJ
01-05-14, 03:23 PM
I took one of those daily dose plastic pill cases to Holland with me. If we were out after 10pm then I had to weigh up whether to take my meds then or wait till I got back to the hotel. The combination of the lithium and mirtazapine makes me feel very heavy and giddy so it is probably better that I am within half an hour of my bed before taking them.

Paula
01-05-14, 03:24 PM
Lol EJ, my hubby says I walk like I'm drunk if I take my tablets and don't go to bed within half hour ;)

rose
01-05-14, 03:25 PM
I used to take fluoxetine mid morning but when I went back to work, I kept forgetting to take it as I'd usually be in a meeting or something. So now I just take it in the evening.
The quetiapine can work as quickly as 15 minutes sometimes!

Missymoo195
20-05-14, 06:52 PM
i still struggle with this as i have to take meds on waking and within an hour i cant remember waking up let alone taking tablet, so i either over medicate or dont, alarms are pointless because my ability to procrastonate on the things i should do is too high. i cant even convince myself to eat let alone anything else.
any suggestions would be good, when i tried the tablet day boxes i forgot to take them for a week!!

Paula
20-05-14, 07:03 PM
I know you find alarms difficult, but have you thought about setting multiple alarms 2 minutes apart?

Missymoo195
20-05-14, 10:20 PM
Sounds awful but my 11 year old has been helping by me telling her when I take it and she reminds me before she leaves for school and I wait til she gets home if I have doubts. She forgets nothing! But I want to be able to do it independantly

knequine
02-12-14, 12:39 PM
I like the idea of combining a spreadsheet with the pill organiser - I might try that one!

purplefan
28-04-15, 11:20 AM
I have been thinking about this as my family are going away and i am in the habit of not taking my medication.
I do have a organiser but i just don't bother, but i think combining it with the spreadsheet might actually motivate me.

rose
28-04-15, 11:24 AM
PF, perhaps you should get into the habit now of organising your medication so you feel confident doing it when the family are away.
I keep mine in a tin. I know what to take when but perhaps you could write a list of what you take when and put it with your medication. Then set a reminder on your phone for the times.
For example mine would be
Morning: 1 venlafaxine
Evening: 1 fluoxetine, 2 quetiapine. And now every other evening, quarter diamox
As and when: 1 loperamide.

Its good to know your own medications, I am asked at every appointment what I take and I always need to check for interactions when I start something new.

Paula
28-04-15, 11:35 AM
Roses post is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Hunni, you need to be confident you will remember to take the right ones at the right time. Perhaps you need to ask Maxine to help you step your routine?

S deleted
28-04-15, 11:47 AM
I have an app called medicine reminder (catchy title, lol) and it allows you not only to see alarms for when the meds are due but what meds to take at what times and what dosage. If you have other family members who take medication ie kids who are ill, you can add other people and the details of their medication to remind you of those too

purplefan
28-04-15, 12:24 PM
That sounds good stella. Ill check that out. I am so lazy when it comes to taking my medication. I don't want to sink back into the deep depression i had.

Suzi
28-04-15, 01:04 PM
(panda) I think you should be responsible now hunni - you just need practise, confidence and to do it.

rose
28-04-15, 01:09 PM
Stella, your post reminded me I also have to remember to give the cat her medicine every evening and the other cat her medicine once a month. That's quite a lot of things to remember to do I think!!!

OscarGilbert
14-10-15, 02:40 PM
I can understand it that it is very difficult to remember about all the pills. But, I like the apps idea to remember.

magie06
14-10-15, 02:48 PM
My hubby was doing my tablets until this Monday, now I'm doing them for myself. I do them out into little boxes marked morning, afternoon, evening and bedtime. Then they are easy to see if I've forgotten to take a dose. But to be honest I've taken medication for so long that it is almost impossible to forget them.

Paula
14-10-15, 02:49 PM
Well done hunni :)

S deleted
14-10-15, 02:57 PM
I only have two lots of meds and I take them once a day but I still forget to take them if I don't use the phone app to remind me.

Suzi
14-10-15, 04:24 PM
My hubby was doing my tablets until this Monday, now I'm doing them for myself. I do them out into little boxes marked morning, afternoon, evening and bedtime. Then they are easy to see if I've forgotten to take a dose. But to be honest I've taken medication for so long that it is almost impossible to forget them.
Magie that's awesome! I'm so pleased for you! This is a huge step!

S deleted
14-10-15, 08:02 PM
ooo, you kept that quiet you sly old dog ;) Another step forward.

Angie
14-10-15, 08:48 PM
Brilliant Magie hun x

magie06
14-10-15, 10:01 PM
Thanks you guys. You have me all embarrassed now. It was the next step after the reduction in lithium, but I didn't want to say anything in case I wasn't able to do it. (blush)

Suzi
14-10-15, 10:12 PM
I think you're absolutely awesome!

MindyDenny
16-11-15, 06:26 AM
I used to take only the tablet of anti-anxiety pills. So, I need to take only twice a day. I think it is difficult to remember the dose of all the tablets that you are taking. So, it is better to feed it in your android reminder.

Strugglingmum
13-08-18, 10:42 PM
Maggie I'm thinking of getting one of those boxes because some days I can't remember if i've taken my tablets or not, im a total blank so at least I can look and see. I only get 7 daysvtablets at a time so you'd think mid bevsble to work it out!! Lol brain fog!!!!

Suzi
14-08-18, 11:03 AM
If it helps then do it ;)

EJ
15-08-18, 05:33 PM
I have recently had a situation where I thought I had OD on my prescribed pills. I dialled 111 and the duty doctor eventually rung back at 3.15am. They were very good and understanding. If I had OD then I would have been having symptoms which I was not. The amount that I thought I had taken did not constitute to an OD anyway. Anything that makes tablet taking easier should be encouraged.

Suzi
15-08-18, 06:03 PM
Do you use a dosette box or an alarm Elizabeth?