PDA

View Full Version : I’m back!

Paula
07-10-23, 10:49 PM
Yes I’m back! But taking things a step at a time. The past 6 months have taken their toll on me. Obviously losing Suzi has hit me for six, a good chunk of that reaction has been associated with the stress of taking over here and the fb page - not something I ever thought I’d have to do. My health has been poor with problems with my hip and back (thankfully mostly resolved now) and, at 49, suffering from hayfever for the first time in my life!

I started my degree today which is great, but the process of applying for funding and disabled students support has just added to my stress levels, and my diary has been full with assessments, workshops, tutorials etc.

I’d been having counselling, and regularly seeing CMHT. 3 sessions into the counselling, he told me my MH issues were getting in the way of me getting anything out of the counselling and stopped the sessions. So he spoke to my GP, got me an urgent appointment and asked me to bring my CMHT appt forward. Which I did and ended up with a week’s worth of sleeping tablets and instructions to stop doing anything except uni stuff.

Truth is, I’m not sleeping (which is very unlike me), I feel like I’m wading through treacle, my mood is all over the place and I’m biting Si’s head off much more than he deserves. It finally occurred to me, a couple of weeks ago, that I’m probably menopausal. So, I’ve got an appointment with a GP on Tuesday.

All in all, I’ll be very glad when I come out of this slump……

SJW180
08-10-23, 07:51 AM
You really have got so much on your plate and it’s no wonder you’re struggling with everything. As far as this place is concerned and the FB page, you have a team of mods and don’t be afraid to use them. I would be more than willing to help you out any way I could. I know we’ve had our differences but it doesn’t change the fact that I still care about you as a friend and hate to see you suffer.

It is really good to see you back though. This place isn’t the same without you.

SJW180
09-10-23, 07:58 PM
How are you feeling today Paula?

Paula
09-10-23, 08:50 PM
Tired

SJW180
09-10-23, 09:06 PM
Were you working today? Hope you can treat yourself to an early night.

Strugglingmum
10-10-23, 10:41 AM
Welcome back Paula. I have tbh, hrt has been a game changer for me. I'm on body identical treatment and it has helped so much with my energy and mood.

Paula
10-10-23, 12:57 PM
Thanks, good timing as my appointment is inhalf an hour :)

Paula
11-10-23, 09:19 AM
So, the doctors yesterday didn’t go according to plan. She’s not sure if it’s menopause or MH relapse. In theory there’s no harm in putting me on HRT and seeing if it helps except that I’ve had gynae treatment in the past and she doesn’t know if that increases my risk of cancer - so she’s going to speak to Gynae and get their opinion. I’m going back to see her on 26th. In the meantime, I’ve got my CMHT appointment next Monday. One potential issue, though, is that my BP is up, though she did point out I’m stressed…. So I’ve got to take readings twice in the morning and twice in the evening for 7-10 days and ring them if it goes higher

Strugglingmum
11-10-23, 01:40 PM
Hope things settle down for you. Xx

OldMike
15-10-23, 05:35 PM
So, the doctors yesterday didn’t go according to plan. She’s not sure if it’s menopause or MH relapse. In theory there’s no harm in putting me on HRT and seeing if it helps except that I’ve had gynae treatment in the past and she doesn’t know if that increases my risk of cancer - so she’s going to speak to Gynae and get their opinion. I’m going back to see her on 26th. In the meantime, I’ve got my CMHT appointment next Monday. One potential issue, though, is that my BP is up, though she did point out I’m stressed…. So I’ve got to take readings twice in the morning and twice in the evening for 7-10 days and ring them if it goes higher

Reminded me of what a 74 year old woman said at lunch club
I'm sick to death of people going on about the menopause, in my day we just got on with it I didn't say anything (didn't want to get in an argument) but thought things have changed since those days and some women need help which should be forthcoming.

Hope it gets sorted Paula and HRT helps a lot of women as you know far better than an old man like me.

SJW180
15-10-23, 09:12 PM
It’s ok saying that in her day they just got on with it but if there was another option available they absolutely would have taken it. Back in the day we’d all be locked up in asylums getting electro shock treatments. Thank goodness times have changed.

I suppose it is the right of all of us who survive to a certain age to start a sentence with “back it my day….”, or “kids these days have got it easy…” lol

Paula
16-10-23, 04:01 PM
Tough day. Really busy shift at work, then straight to an appointment with the psych nurse. Si came with me to the appointment so was able to add his thoughts. Anyway, lots of good advice including staggering my meds a bit to try to help with sleep. He’s also going to talk to the psychiatrist about potentially adding Quetiapine into the mix to quiet down my brain a little. Though I can hear my brothers voice in my ear “ADHD, ADHD”…..

SJW180
16-10-23, 05:57 PM
Have you had a referral regarding ADHD if only to rule it out? I remember a certain special lady suggesting I got assessed for a certain condition and it changed my life for the better. I hated it at the time but I am so grateful for her insight.

Quetiapine and Lithium? That’s pretty heavy. I can only say that Q has a very calming effect on me and really helps with my sleep. I’m glad you have Si’s support. He’s a good man.

Paula
18-10-23, 05:57 PM
Feel like crap, I hate colds….

Still, on the positive side, my new desk and ergonomic chair have been delivered. My study is raring to go :)

Madleyn
18-10-23, 06:03 PM
only just joined but I am sorry for your loss.

SJW180
19-10-23, 10:30 AM
Have you tried out your new study area yet? Is it as comfortable as it sounds?

Paula
19-10-23, 10:38 AM
Have you tried out your new study area yet? Is it as comfortable as it sounds?

Sitting here now :)

OldMike
20-10-23, 04:50 PM
Is it a swively chair like mine or one of those superduper plush chairs you can curl up and fall asleep on?

Paula
20-10-23, 05:47 PM
It’s chair that the government have paid for(along with a load of other equipment inc desk, laptop etc) to ensure that, as I’m disabled, I’m not disadvantaged compared to able students while doing my degree. It’s a fully ergonomic chair which cost about £1500!!!!

SJW180
20-10-23, 07:32 PM
Wow!!! That’s crazy money however if it makes your studies easier it’s worth every penny.

Paula
20-10-23, 08:35 PM
I had no idea that was what it was worth when I was asked which one of the two they showed me I wanted…

SJW180
20-10-23, 09:28 PM
It’s not about the money though, it’s what makes you more comfortable.

Paula
19-11-23, 10:36 AM
Whoops, didn’t realise how long it’s been since I posted. Anyway, my insomnia has been dealt with by changing the time I take my pregabalin and ami in the evening. I hadn’t realised how much lack of sleep had affected everything until I got a few decent nights…..

Uni work is going well - I’m a little ahead of schedule and have started writing my 2nd (and first to be graded) assignment. Work at the hospital is busy - especially as I’m involved in talking through how the new, improved department will look.

Si was in Dubai for the week. It was exhausting having to deal with everything but I managed. I’m just glad he’s home!

I had a bit of worrying news this week - my visual fields eye test was not good, indicating that the fluid may have increased around my brain. I’ve got an appointment in January with neurology but, in the meantime, if there are any changes to my symptoms, I need to head up to a&e

It’s been up and down, but that’s life, right?

OldMike
19-11-23, 12:39 PM
Paula glad your insomnia is sorted, hope you can get your eyesight sorted.

I'm intrigued what Si is doing Dubai.

Paula
19-11-23, 12:47 PM
Working - there was a conference he had to present at and his companies factories are in Dubai

SJW180
20-11-23, 11:00 AM
Not great news about your eye sight but other than that it sounds like things are going well even if it is busy, so long as you’re not pushing yourself too hard.

Paula
04-12-23, 10:24 PM
The last few days have been a bit of a washout. I’ve caught yet another cold and have been feeling pretty rotten. I never get colds and that’s the second in short succession.

Right, moan over, I’ve got to be better by Wednesday as Katie and I are booked to go to an antique centre together! And this Saturday Si and I will be at a play - Stranger Things. The last time we went up to London, I was really ill and doped up with lorazepam so I want to be with it this time

OldMike
04-12-23, 11:02 PM
There's a lot of people about with colds must be the weather, nothing like a good moan (rofl)

Hope you enjoy your play and mooching around an antique fair sounds delightful hope you see some bargains.

Strugglingmum
05-12-23, 08:49 AM
What fab plans, hope you feel better soon. X

SJW180
05-12-23, 02:41 PM
Hope you enjoy your days out.

Paula
09-12-23, 06:59 AM
Up at 6.30 on a Saturday? It can only be because I’m SEEING STRANGER THINGS TODAY! *not excited at all…*

SJW180
09-12-23, 11:45 AM
And I’m not really jealous either. Have a great time.

Paula
09-12-23, 09:23 PM
It. Was. Awesome

Jaquaia
09-12-23, 09:28 PM
So glad you enjoyed it!

SJW180
10-12-23, 11:34 AM
Tell me more

Paula
10-12-23, 11:56 AM
Staging was incredible, story brilliant, and answered a lot of questions

Paula
13-12-23, 04:43 PM
Well, after a busy, exhausting few days, I’ve just had the lift I need. KATIE’S ENGAGED!!!

Jaquaia
13-12-23, 06:38 PM
Ooh!!!! Amazing news! Please pass on my congratulations!!! Xx

Paula
13-12-23, 06:41 PM
Thanks, I will! They’re in Rome and she wasn’t expecting it - her response ‘youre f***ing joking! (rofl)

Jaquaia
13-12-23, 07:06 PM
That beats my response!!! (rofl)

Paula
13-12-23, 10:36 PM
(giggle)

Strugglingmum
14-12-23, 09:32 AM
What wonderful news!! Huge congratulations

SJW180
14-12-23, 10:18 AM
That is excellent news. Congratulations

magie06
14-12-23, 01:43 PM
Congratulations to Katie and her young man!
I think I asked Gerry before he asked me!

Paula
14-12-23, 04:16 PM
They'd talked about it a lot, they'd talk about the style of ring she'd like. But she didn't know if it was just talk. He surprised her on the rooftop terrace of their hotel in Rome :)

Strugglingmum
14-12-23, 06:17 PM
The ring is just gorgeous. So exciting

Paula
14-12-23, 07:16 PM
I know. I fear I’m more excitable than she is (giggle)

Jaquaia
14-12-23, 08:15 PM
Paula, I just had a thought...

Bearing in mind you were in tears just seeing me appear at the church door, how much worse will you be when it's your little girl walking down the aisle???

Strugglingmum
14-12-23, 09:54 PM
I dont think Paula will be able to see anything through the tears!!(giggle)(panda)

Jaquaia
14-12-23, 10:02 PM
I think Katie better have Kleenex on speed dial (giggle)

magie06
14-12-23, 10:37 PM
Maybe have the lifeboats on standby too. You might need it to get out the door (rofl)

Paula
14-12-23, 11:49 PM
Pfft, don’t know what you’re all talking about ;)

SJW180
15-12-23, 12:00 AM
Notify the authorities of the date so they can have flood warnings in place.

Paula
19-12-23, 06:55 PM
Phew! I’ve finished my first term which means I’m now officially on holiday until 8 Jan! (party)

Strugglingmum
19-12-23, 07:00 PM
Congratulations. Enjoy. Xx

Jaquaia
19-12-23, 07:35 PM
I have a TMA due on the 17th so I have to study! How have you found it so far?

Paula
20-12-23, 06:27 AM
Loved it, but the last couple of weeks they’ve really ramped it up lol. It’s so good to be really challenged :). My next TMA is due 1 Feb but I’ve decided that, with Christmas and my birthday, I’m not going to look at it til we get back from Cornwall.

Jaquaia
20-12-23, 09:56 AM
I'm proud of you for giving yourself that space

Strugglingmum
20-12-23, 10:37 AM
Well done on taking that break love.

magie06
20-12-23, 12:58 PM
You are brilliant for take the course on in the first place.

SJW180
20-12-23, 01:05 PM
You’ve earned a holiday.

OldMike
20-12-23, 04:27 PM
Loved it, but the last couple of weeks they’ve really ramped it up lol. It’s so good to be really challenged :). My next TMA is due 1 Feb but I’ve decided that, with Christmas and my birthday, I’m not going to look at it til we get back from Cornwall.

Enjoy your Cornwall trip, Paula you deserve some R & R

Paula
21-12-23, 09:46 PM
90% on my first marked assignment!

Jaquaia
21-12-23, 09:58 PM
Nerd!!! (nerd)(giggle)

I'm so proud of you!

Paula
21-12-23, 10:03 PM
That’s what Jess said…

SJW180
22-12-23, 11:45 AM
Of course you got a great score. Like your capable of anything less? Well done.

OldMike
22-12-23, 04:41 PM
Brilliant score Paula just what I'd expect from Princess Sparkles (nerd)

magie06
22-12-23, 09:08 PM
Well done sweetheart. I know how hard you worked for this. (y)

Paula
26-12-23, 11:50 AM
I’m broken. 2 very busy days and I’m exhausted. Plus in a lot of pain - for the first time in a long time,I had to ask Si to bring me my pain meds before I was able to get out of bed!

But, it was wonderful to spend time with family and I’ve got a couple of days rest before the next lot :)

Strugglingmum
26-12-23, 01:08 PM
Oh love. Please take it very easy. I'm sitting on the couch today. (panda)

Jaquaia
26-12-23, 05:35 PM
An easy couple of days coming up I hope?

Paula
26-12-23, 07:43 PM
Yep, we’re not doing anything til the 29th

Paula
30-12-23, 07:30 AM
One more easy day (I hope), then its all celebrations! Katie’s birthday tomorrow, taking down decorations on Monday, then we’re off to Cornwall on Tuesday for 5 days to celebrate my *coff* 50th birthday (blush)

SJW180
30-12-23, 02:45 PM
One more week until you can apply for your Sunlife Parker pen and receive Saga holiday brochures. I hope you have a fabulous time away Paula in such a beautiful part of the country.

Strugglingmum
30-12-23, 03:05 PM
Have a wonderful time away lovely lady. You so deserve it. X

Paula
30-12-23, 03:39 PM
One more week until you can apply for your Sunlife Parker pen and receive Saga holiday brochures. I hope you have a fabulous time away Paula in such a beautiful part of the country.

Cow!

There is a minuscule chance festivities might be delayed. Dom’s dad has tested positive for COVID today - Katie and Dom saw him boxing day and then spent most of yesterday with us…… would be Sod’s Law that, given I’ve escaped it for 4 years, that I would catch COVID days before this birthday ……

OldMike
30-12-23, 04:05 PM
One more easy day (I hope), then its all celebrations! Katie’s birthday tomorrow, taking down decorations on Monday, then we’re off to Cornwall on Tuesday for 5 days to celebrate my *coff* 50th birthday (blush)

Fifty! you look far too young to have reached that age, I do not believe it it can't be true (shake)

Paula
30-12-23, 07:30 PM
lol, my MIL was adamant it couldn’t be my 50th 😂

SJW180
30-12-23, 11:06 PM
Cow!

Bit harsh don’t you think? I’ve been waiting a bloody long time for my Parker pen and a cheap holiday. They are the reason I am looking forward to turning 50 and as you remind me I ain’t that far behind.

For once I actually wasn’t taking the piss. :(

I hope you all manage to stay Covid free. Keeping everything crossed for you.

Paula
30-12-23, 11:37 PM
I am most definitely not looking forward to it

SJW180
31-12-23, 12:16 AM
But a free pen???? I saw on the tv they are giving vouchers now, £150 I think which is great and all but it’s not a Parker pen.

Why are you not looking forward to 50? You have survived half a century on this Earth. You’ve had more than your fair share of crap thrown at you. Enough to floor others many times over but here you are, standing tall and not just surviving but thriving. You’re not standing still, you are pushing forward, striving to be more, refusing to settle for what you have. You are constantly growing and evolving. 50 isn’t just a number. It’s a landmark to show all you’ve achieved and you have so much more still to look forward to.

Paula
24-01-24, 10:06 PM
It’s been tough the last week. I’ve had a horrendous pain flare (still going on) which meant I’ve not been able to do what I needed to for my assignment. Had a long chat with my counsellor yesterday who made me promise to ask for an extension, which I have done today, but I hate having to ask as it feels so much like failing. And now I’m panicking because I haven’t heard back from my tutor yet

SJW180
24-01-24, 10:17 PM
How is it failing to ask for an extension? Surely it’s the opposite, ensuring that with additional time you’re not failing.

Jaquaia
24-01-24, 10:22 PM
What did you (and Suzi!) always tell me every time I put off asking for an extension? As it happens, I'm a week into a 2 week extension. Am I failing? Would you ever suggest I am by having asked for that extension? Or would you suggest that I am using the tools the university allows me to make my access to the course equitable?

PS. If you don't hear back from your tutor in the next day or so, speak to your student support team (panda)

Strugglingmum
24-01-24, 10:40 PM
What did you (and Suzi!) always tell me every time I put off asking for an extension? As it happens, I'm a week into a 2 week extension. Am I failing? Would you ever suggest I am by having asked for that extension? Or would you suggest that I am using the tools the university allows me to make my access to the course equitable?

PS. If you don't hear back from your tutor in the next day or so, speak to your student support team (panda)

Just this Princess!! Are you listening?.(panda)

Paula
24-01-24, 11:26 PM

And, as Suzi would say when if refers to her, pfft ;)

Paula
25-01-24, 01:44 PM
I heard back, and have got a 2 week extension. He was lovely :) so today, as I’m still suffering, I’m reading a book and shall do a bit of cross stitching. I know I should be doing the assignment but I need the rest

magie06
25-01-24, 02:39 PM
As you have very often said to me, listen to your body!

Jaquaia
25-01-24, 03:14 PM
Good. Sounds like exactly what you need!

OldMike
26-01-24, 08:02 PM
Some very wise words from the ladies in the previous posts take heed ;)

Paula
01-02-24, 03:48 PM
A lovely surprise in the post today, taken at a certain someone’s wedding of me and my baby ;)

https://i.ibb.co/0XwjdFj/IMG-1265.jpg (https://ibb.co/6ZdRf1R)

SJW180
01-02-24, 05:41 PM
Two pretty ladies

magie06
01-02-24, 06:50 PM
It's beautiful.

Jaquaia
01-02-24, 09:13 PM
So pleased you like it!

Paula
01-02-24, 09:23 PM
I love it!

OldMike
02-02-24, 06:07 PM
Pretty in pink, two gorgeous ladies.

Paula
08-02-24, 04:44 PM
Well, it looks like Katie and Dom are moving house on Wednesday! That’s mucked up my plans for the next couple of days - I’ll be helping to pack now! But I’m so chuffed for them, it’s been a long 6 months :)

magie06
08-02-24, 06:44 PM
Are they moving far?

Paula
08-02-24, 07:43 PM
Actually, they’re moving just down the road from us :)

magie06
09-02-24, 11:20 AM
Oh that's good. You'll be able to call for a coffee.