PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Otis
05-04-20, 07:39 PM
Not sure what to put other than I’m new here.

Stella180
05-04-20, 07:43 PM
Hey hey Otis, welcome to the madhouse. Feel free to take a look around and jump in when you feel comfortable. I promise we don’t bite and everyone is super nice, even me. Sometimes lol

Paula
05-04-20, 08:09 PM
Hi Otis and welcome! As Stella says, have a nosy round the place, we’re super friendly and would love to get to know you :)

Angie
05-04-20, 08:20 PM
Hi and welcome to Dwd

Suzi
05-04-20, 09:24 PM
Hi and welcome! :) Have a look around, see if there's something that catches your eye - or you can tell us something about why you are here or what things you like?
Are you eating and drinking properly? Getting any exercise? Do you like cats or dogs?

Otis
05-04-20, 10:02 PM
Hi thanks for the replies. I’m mainly here because of depression and PTSD, well mainly depression since this is a depression forum. I’m eating more than I used to because I used to forget to eat because of my ritalin that makes me not feel hungry much but I’ve made an effort to eat more the past few months. I like exercise but I can’t exercise like everyone else because I have a muscular disease which means I can’t break down glycogen in my muscle cells for fuel during exercise so if I carry on exercising then I end up with rhabdomyolysis which has damaged one of my kidneys and it can cause them to fail if I’m not careful.

I like dogs yes, I have a yellow Labrador called Chief.

And things I like are watching Harry Potter, Star Trek, Peaky Blinders, Grace and Frankie. I also like listening to music of all kinds. I’m a Anaheim Ducks ice hockey fan, so if anyone remembers the Mighty Ducks movies from the 90s then that’s when the Anaheim Ducks were created as an official team. Obviously with real adults playing, not the kids in the movies playing. I also like Warhammer.

Otis
05-04-20, 10:04 PM
Oh also I feel a bit stupid coming here in a way because I have a BSc in Psychology and I finish my MSc in Psychology later in the year and some people think I should have all the answers to my own depression and PTSD when I don’t.

magie06
05-04-20, 10:05 PM
Hi and welcome. What part of the world are you in? Does your doctor know how you are feeling?

Suzi
05-04-20, 10:12 PM
You aren't stupid coming here at all. Having all the knowledge doesn't mean that you don't get ill and it seems like you are going through so much with your other conditions too... But with your tv likes you're going to fit in here really well x

Otis
05-04-20, 10:19 PM
Hi I’m in Bromsgrove, Worcs. And yes my GP knows because I’m on two lots of anti depressants. And thanks Suzi. I just thought people here would think I should have all the answers to my own depression and PTSD

Stella180
05-04-20, 10:25 PM
We might already have the odd one or two Harry Potter fans here ;)

Otis
05-04-20, 10:29 PM
Awesome :)

magie06
05-04-20, 10:31 PM
It's great that you're in contact with your GP.
And I don't think that anyone has the answers. But it doesn't matter, we're in this together and help each other out when we can.

Stella180
05-04-20, 10:42 PM
Community spirit is strong here for sure. OldMike (who is the second best quizmaster in DWD history;) ) has a quiz going if you feel like giving it go.

Paula
05-04-20, 10:44 PM
Hi I’m in Bromsgrove, Worcs. And yes my GP knows because I’m on two lots of anti depressants. And thanks Suzi. I just thought people here would think I should have all the answers to my own depression and PTSD

Most definitely not. I had my first breakdown 30 years ago and I still don’t have the answers. This forum is a community of people that, for whatever reason, understands what it’s like to live with MH issues - we support each other, care for each other and lean on each other. We don’t expect anybody to have answers

Jaquaia
06-04-20, 06:57 AM
Oh also I feel a bit stupid coming here in a way because I have a BSc in Psychology and I finish my MSc in Psychology later in the year and some people think I should have all the answers to my own depression and PTSD when I don’t.

Hi and welcome! No need to feel stupid. If it's any consolation, I'm coming to the end of my second year of my BSc in Psychology with Counselling and I have a level 1 in Counselling too. I have no idea why I'm depressed or have anxiety, I just know the meds I'm on control it. Besides, if your BSc was anything like the psychology aspect of mine, it doesn't really focus on mental health, but general psychological theories

OldMike
06-04-20, 08:12 AM
Hi Otis I'm one of the older members of DWD (not in time served but in age) I'm sure you'll fit in here.

Suzi
06-04-20, 11:07 AM
Lol, if only it was that easy? So many would already have the answers and be able to share those answers! I've not met anyone with all the answers yet.... not even me (rofl) (Joke!)

We might already have the odd one or two Harry Potter fans here ;)
Absolutely!

It's great that you're in contact with your GP.
And I don't think that anyone has the answers. But it doesn't matter, we're in this together and help each other out when we can.

Most definitely not. I had my first breakdown 30 years ago and I still don’t have the answers. This forum is a community of people that, for whatever reason, understands what it’s like to live with MH issues - we support each other, care for each other and lean on each other. We don’t expect anybody to have answers

Hi and welcome! No need to feel stupid. If it's any consolation, I'm coming to the end of my second year of my BSc in Psychology with Counselling and I have a level 1 in Counselling too. I have no idea why I'm depressed or have anxiety, I just know the meds I'm on control it. Besides, if your BSc was anything like the psychology aspect of mine, it doesn't really focus on mental health, but general psychological theories

Absolutely agree with these 3 awesome ladies...

Arty
06-04-20, 12:18 PM
Hi Otis
Welcome to DWD. You will find this community a great help in talking through your feelings. Well done for reaching out.

Strugglingmum
06-04-20, 12:36 PM
Hi Otis. This is a great place to just be yourself and always a great welcome and lots of support.

Mira
06-04-20, 08:06 PM
Hi there, nice to meet you. Huge star trek fan here �� and I enjoyed the harry Potter movies if that counts :)