PDA

View Full Version : Help required - re: Pregabalin

Arty
28-03-20, 06:30 PM
Hi, does anyone hold down a job taking Pregabalin?
I am in a mess with it..seeing my psychiatrist on 15th April but in the mean time my meds are all over the place x

Paula
28-03-20, 08:01 PM
I do my voluntary work, drive, live a normal life with pregabalin. However, have you been stable on a dose for a while? And don’t forget you’ve recently been struggling, which will impact every area of your life, including meds. And are you well enough to go back to work yet?

Jaquaia
28-03-20, 08:27 PM
I don't work but I am studying for a psychology degree while on it. I couldn't keep my anxiety under control without it.

Arty
28-03-20, 08:28 PM
I have reduced my day time doses in the last few days (I discussed it with the GP on Friday) I am panicking about coping with my first shift back on Friday but I feel I need to give it a go. I received a text from my ex to say that his business is being affected by the virus - he mainly works with Argos. This may have an impact on my maintenance payments in the coming months ;( Pen is being amazingly supportive, despite having major financial issues herself. Our relationship is stronger than ever thankfully. It is a horrible time for a lot of people atm x

Suzi
28-03-20, 09:33 PM
I'm on a fairly high dose of pregabalin. I manage here, SHOUT volunteering, running the forum, 3 kids, Marc etc...

How are you reducing it? Are you cutting down by large amounts? Each time you cut down you are sending your body into withdrawal, so it has to be done REALLY slowly. If you aren't allowing your body to get used to the dose for a while before you change the dose then you are going to struggle....

Arty
28-03-20, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your comments ladies. I will give my body chance to adjust. X

Suzi
28-03-20, 11:36 PM
What dose were you on? What have you changed to?

Stella180
29-03-20, 12:35 AM
Don't forget everyone reacts differently to different meds. Just cos others cope well doesn't automatically mean you will be the same. I think you are sensible to allow yourself time before making a decision

Arty
29-03-20, 12:51 PM
I have reduced the afternoon dose from 100mg to 50mg (I went to 75mg first but only for a few days) I know...it was wrong but I am keen to have more energy in the afternoons. I also briefly reduced my morning one from 100 to 75 but have now changed back. Again, I know that I shouldn't do this but I wanted to have more energy. It all stems from worry about Friday. My rational head knows that it is foolish to do these things but I want to make the job work. x (Suzi is going to shout at me!!)

Stella180
29-03-20, 01:09 PM
If you're not stable, and clearly you're not, how do you think you can cope at work? It's up to you what you do but it sure sounds to me like you're not giving you're self a chance and setting your self up to potentially fail. Maybe postpone your return to work for a while longer?

Suzi
29-03-20, 01:21 PM
I have reduced the afternoon dose from 100mg to 50mg (I went to 75mg first but only for a few days) I know...it was wrong but I am keen to have more energy in the afternoons. I also briefly reduced my morning one from 100 to 75 but have now changed back. Again, I know that I shouldn't do this but I wanted to have more energy. It all stems from worry about Friday. My rational head knows that it is foolish to do these things but I want to make the job work. x (Suzi is going to shout at me!!)

I'm not shouting at you, I wish you hadn't been doing that to your body though. You know by cutting down lots at a time it makes you more likely to have a fit/grand mal seizure right?? Seriously, you really shouldn't drop that much at a time. If you are cutting down one time then don't change the others. I'm not surprised you haven't any energy because your poor body is in withdrawal constantly!
PLEASE Don't mess with this medication....

Paula
29-03-20, 01:21 PM
But all those changes are going to have a horrific impact on your body - it’s no wonder you’re not coping with the drug! Also, when you say your afternoon dose..... what time? I thought you’re supposed to have 12 hours between doses - that may explain why it’s zapping your energy. Please, please tell your doctor all of this, inc what times you’re taking it and get advice from them before you change anything else

Suzi
29-03-20, 01:37 PM
I take a big dose morning and then 15 hours later and a 1/2 dose at lunchtime.

Paula and I seem to have cross posted! Also, are you taking it morning and lunch? What about night?

OldMike
29-03-20, 03:19 PM
I'm not personably taking pregabalin all I can do is echo what Paula and Suzi have said it is only advisable to drop a small amount at once dropping one dose then going back the original can mess you up entirely, Arty please see your doctor and work out a plant on what reduction should be made and the time scale.

john d
29-03-20, 03:50 PM
I've been on 300mg a day of pregabalin for about 6 maybe 7 years.it took a month or so to initially get settled.i work full time no problem.
However we react differently to them.if you have any more queries feel to ask.im no expert or medical worker but I'm willing to share any of my pregabalin experience with you.take care all

Jaquaia
29-03-20, 03:58 PM
I'm on 50mg 3 times a day and my psychiatric nurse made it very, VERY clear that even with that small dose, if I tried to come off it, it needed to be done very, very slowly.

Arty
30-03-20, 08:17 AM
Thanks for your replies.
I have made the big decision to hand my notice in at work. I have been sleeping badly and realise I need to rest. I will do a couple of mornings helping out with Penny's Dad. This will give me something to do but not too much. The girls are back with us this morning x

Paula
30-03-20, 08:44 AM
I’m really relieved about that x

Suzi
30-03-20, 10:04 AM
I know it probably feels like a backwards step, but actually love I think this is a huge positive for yourself. I assume you are going to stick with a given dosage of preg for a while? Helping out Pen's dad sounds like you'll be relieving a hugs amount of stress for her too, you get to help him too so that's a win/win situation...
I think it's a really sensible decision, but one I also know wasn't an easy one to make. Well done lovely for doing what your mind and body needs now.

Arty
30-03-20, 04:31 PM
I'm really struggling this afternoon, I am so tired. Everything is going around in my head & I just want it to stop x

Suzi
30-03-20, 05:48 PM
Do you want to talk about what's going round in your head lovley?

Arty
30-03-20, 06:27 PM
Yes..
I am really panicking about my medication. I am going to ask the psych. to try to help me work out a plan so that I take meds in the morning and bedtime only. One of the reasons I quit the job was that it was proving more difficult to fit my meds into my work shifts. I *really* feel like a drug addict. I feel like I am just heading towards dead ends in my head. It all seems hopeless and I am struggling to function. I feel it is all my fault for going on the different meds I take x

Paula
30-03-20, 07:14 PM
Most of us are on multiple meds, lovely, and we’ve all felt the same at times. But you have those meds for a reason - to help you heal - and they wouldn’t have been prescribed if your doctors didn’t thank they would help you. Honestly? Right now is not the time to be mucking about with your meds, unless the doctor advises you to. You are struggling and you need all the help you can get

Stella180
30-03-20, 07:59 PM
^^^wss

Suzi
30-03-20, 08:32 PM
Hunni do you think I'm a drug addict? I take Pregabalin, fexofenadine, sukkarto, losarto, indomethacin, paracetamol, have codine too and others and cbd oil too..... I take in total somewhere between 20 and 26 different tablets a day and cbd oil... It doesn't mean anything against me apart from that I need them to be able to function. I take them split into 4 doses a day + 2 cbd doses. Yes the pregabalin I am physically addicted to, but it doesn't make me any less of a person.

Right now you are going to be struggling because of all the changes you've made. I really, really think your best option is to go back on the dose you were prescribed, allow yourself time to heal and to stabilise - it might take 4 weeks, it might take 6 months or 6 years.... The time isn't important. You just have to stop seeing the meds as the enemy. They aren't. They are there to help. As has been said, you wouldn't have been prescribed them if your doctor didn't think you needed them.
Also, stress, lack of sleep (I imagine your sleep has been rubbish as you've been worrying about all this and with the changes of dose) will all have a negative impact on you and your mood....

Stella180
30-03-20, 08:42 PM
I must be a small time drug addict compared to you Suzi, I take 14 pills a day plus an inhaler. I certainly don’t take them by choice but they are necessary to keep me alive and with a better quality of life.

john d
30-03-20, 09:45 PM
Not far behind either of you!
These ladies are worth listening to

Suzi
30-03-20, 10:00 PM
It's about what's best for you? Taking the meds (which I hate too) or not being able to move without screaming in pain without the medication....

Jaquaia
30-03-20, 10:46 PM
I take 6 meds everyday, 1 as and when needed and also have 1 med to inject weekly. 2 of them, plus the one I take as needed, were given to me to manage my mental health, 1 plus the injection allow me to use my hands without pain and minimise damage to my joints, 1 is to deal with a vitamin deficiency the injection may cause and the other 2 are to deal with a hormone imbalance. Those meds allow me to function and have a life. I'd rather not have to take them but I wouldn't be able to live the life I do without them

Paula
31-03-20, 09:00 AM
I take 29 tablets a day plus inhalers, and I’m waiting for a new prescription to come through. I’m not pretending I like it but I also know I couldn’t live without them. I think what we are all trying to show you is that meds aren’t the enemy, they’re tools that can help you have your life back....

Arty
31-03-20, 12:31 PM
Hi,
I self harmed this morning. I am not proud of it & the girls are now with Bruce x

Jaquaia
31-03-20, 12:34 PM
Are you safe now? Is the wound clean? (panda)

Suzi
31-03-20, 01:28 PM
Oh sweetheart, do you want to talk about it?

Paula
31-03-20, 02:39 PM
(panda) hunni

Arty
31-03-20, 05:12 PM
Hello..
Just been for a really long walk. Thank goodness I have my Pen with me. I just feel like I am walking around in a daze.
Here’s hoping for some sleep tonight xx

Suzi
31-03-20, 07:19 PM
Give yourself time lovely...

Did you clean and dress your wound?

Arty
01-04-20, 05:52 PM
It wasn’t deep, and seems to be healing nicely. I slept much better last night thankfully. My ex is looking after the girls for now. Just going to take one day at a time x

Suzi
01-04-20, 06:41 PM
Are you finding it helpful with the girls being at your ex's? Are you pacing and resting?

Arty
01-04-20, 08:06 PM
Yes, today has been a good day. Just did another long walk on the fields near us (with the dogs) Tomorrow I will do a few hours work for Penny’s dad again. We are applying for attendance allowance so I can do more hours for him x

Suzi
01-04-20, 09:31 PM
That's a brilliant thought... Do you enjoy looking out for him?

Paula
01-04-20, 10:01 PM
You’re doing what you need to, lovely, and I’m so glad you're able to spend some restful time with Pen

Arty
02-04-20, 12:24 PM
Hi ladies,
Just phoning the doctor as I have had a little spotting the last few days. Really tired today as slept badly again. This morning I managed to help John though and now I am going to rest for the afternoon. There is no way I could be doing the care job at the moment, it was the right decision to quit x

Paula
02-04-20, 12:31 PM
Hope the doctor gets back to you soon

Suzi
02-04-20, 01:12 PM
I'm glad you're convinced it was the right decision.. Have you heard from the dr?

Arty
02-04-20, 02:00 PM
Goodness me I am enjoying resting this afternoon (nod) blissful!
Yes, she phoned and she says it should be nothing to worry about - could be stress related but I need to keep an eye on it. X

Suzi
02-04-20, 04:51 PM
Good! It's great to hear that you've rested today too...

Arty
03-04-20, 02:44 PM
Hi there,
I helped John for two hours this morning and then I came home and did a job or two. Now resting and doing some drawing x hope you are all well x

Suzi
03-04-20, 03:40 PM
How's it going with John? Do you enjoy spending time with him? So glad you're pacing. How's your mood doing?

Arty
03-04-20, 03:58 PM
Yes, today I took him into the garden for the first time (at his new flat) I also sorted out his hearing aid batteries lol. It is good to be making a difference. I slept well last night so determined to pace today to give me another good one ! Pen is doing some gardening, it looks fabulous xx

Paula
03-04-20, 05:41 PM
You sound so much more rested :)

Suzi
03-04-20, 06:32 PM
How's he liking his new flat? Does it make life easier for Pen knowing he's looked after?
So glad you're pacing properly lovely...

Arty
05-04-20, 07:39 AM
He really likes the flat - he is much more settled now (nod)
Penny is relieved I am helping him. It is great for me as I get out of the house to do some work but hardly any pressure & just 2 hours at a time.
Penny and I have decided to call this time a staycation. We are making the most of the time we have at home together. The girls are coming for tea today - really looking forward to seeing them x

Suzi
05-04-20, 08:17 AM
It's great that he's happier now and Pen knowing you're going in has to be a huge relief for her!
I love the staycation idea! Are you doing all those things around you which you wished you had time for?
Enjoy your time with your girls lovely!

Arty
06-04-20, 07:42 PM
Hi folks,
I’ve got back into yoga again - I am missing my swimming so it is a kind of replacement (nod) I have had 2 consecutive nights of great sleep - woohoo! My girls came for tea last night and it was so lovely (inlove) and on Thursday they are coming over again and staying the night! So happy (talk) Suzi you would be proud of me, I am pacing really well at the moment. I’ve done some jobs in the house but allowed myself some rest in between. X

Suzi
06-04-20, 08:25 PM
The positivity beams through that post! I'm so proud of you!!

Paula
06-04-20, 08:26 PM
That’s made me bean from ear to ear! :)

Arty
10-04-20, 02:23 PM
Hey...
I have acquired a second hand bike from FB. Pen has checked it over and we are now going to be going off cycling together! There are lots of great, flat paths around here so really looking forward to getting out.
I really can’t get over the thought that there may be no National Trust days out this summer, or evenings at a pub on the seafront. Struggling as I do in the winter, I am trying to think outside the box of activities we can do! Xx

Suzi
10-04-20, 02:55 PM
I know that sadness too.... BUT you have a bike, you have a wonderful partner and so although things aren't going to be as "normal" it still might be one of the best summer's you've had...

Arty
10-04-20, 05:51 PM
You are right Suzi. It is nice to have the time to spend together atm (nod) (inlove) xx

Arty
22-04-20, 12:53 PM
Hello everyone. Hope you are all well. Caring for John is going really well �� We are enjoying our bike riding. This afternoon I am going to do some painting as I need to recharge my batteries. Pen keeps reminding me to pace! The girls are coming to stay for 3 nights, really looking forward to seeing them. Xx

Suzi
22-04-20, 02:53 PM
That all sounds so positive! I'm so pleased for you! :)

Paula
22-04-20, 07:02 PM
That’s wonderful - what a difference in a few weeks. I’m so happy for you

OldMike
23-04-20, 10:22 AM
Hi Arty, that's brilliant I'm glad you're enjoying your bike riding and it is good you are doing some painting.

Arty
29-04-20, 05:04 PM
Hi,
Just wanted to reach out as I am feeling really low today. I am beating myself up for everything & feeling so stressed about the future. I know it is just a bad day / 48 hours but I feel weary and sometimes doubt my strength about taking on challenges in the future x

Suzi
29-04-20, 08:04 PM
Hey you, do you know what's caused the dip? Are you still taking the full dosage of all your meds?

Paula
29-04-20, 11:26 PM
Don’t ever doubt your strength. You keep fighting this and no one could ask you for more. Whatever the reasons behind this dip, look after yourself, practise some self care and you will get through it

OldMike
30-04-20, 09:51 AM
It's strange times with coronavirus and lockdown so it is understandable that you're finding things difficult, Arty as your signature says "one day at a time" which is good advice, I'm sure you'll get through it.

Arty
30-04-20, 04:03 PM
Thanks for all your comments. Yes, life is very strange at the moment, it is the uncertainty of everything. I am resting this afternoon to allow myself to recharge my batteries. The girls are staying with us Weds to Sat every week during the shutdown. I have been caring for John three mornings this week. This morning I ended up taking him for a run in the car, so he could see the village he used to live in. He really enjoyed it (nod) x

Suzi
30-04-20, 05:25 PM
Sounds like John's really enjoying having you around ;) How are you finding it with the girls?

Arty
02-05-20, 11:24 AM
Hello, it has been quite full on. They have gone back to their Dad this morning. I have been to John to clean for an hour and am now back at home resting to recallabrate. X

Paula
02-05-20, 02:56 PM
Did you enjoy having the girls with you?

Arty
02-05-20, 03:15 PM
It was good to see them but I have been going downhill for a few days. The worrying thoughts about 5 years time are repeating themselves in my head every 30-60 seconds x

Paula
02-05-20, 03:49 PM
Then I’m glad you’ve got a few days to recup. Do you and Pen have any plans?

Suzi
02-05-20, 03:55 PM
Sweetheart what is it that you are worried about? 5 years is a long time away... You need to use this time to get better....

Arty
02-05-20, 04:21 PM
Hi ladies,
It is worry over the maintenance stopping (as usual)
Of course, Penny has reassured me that we will be ok but I guess I am still frightened about income long term.
I will take it steady in the next few days. Pen and I are going to spend time together, maybe a little gardening and some crafts. We have been working on a 5 year vision as a positive thing rather than a negative, doom and gloom thought process. One of the things we have talked about is a mural in the kitchen (inlove) x

Suzi
02-05-20, 07:59 PM
Sweetheart I can understand you being concerned, but hunni there is no point making yourself so ill that you are heading to breakdown because of it....

Arty
04-06-20, 04:38 PM
Hello friends,
Thought I would write something on here. I am discovering the joys of daughters having boyfriends (rofl) I feel wrung out tbh. My ex had the girls for 10 days, giving me a break. 2 days ago my eldest finished with her boyf. ( for it turns out, a number of reasons ) It now seems to be back on. I am feeling v.tired, Mum is needing quite a lot of support. It is her b.day today so we invited her over for lunch. When I have conversed with her for a few hours I am completely rung out. I have signed up for a college course for September, which is something for me to look forward to as the autumn draws near. Pen and I have had a few treats, one being the delivery of a cream tea, sooo yummy. I am listening to audio books again and helping out in the studio. Pen’s dad is in hospital sadly, he has been diagnosed with Covid - it seems he caught it there! Pen has been really worried about him, one whole month without seeing a family member ;( From a selfish point of view, it has given me time to focus on getting things done in the house, time to cross stitch etc. x

Suzi
04-06-20, 05:10 PM
Oh no poor Pen and her Dad! What a terrible worry for her.
What do you find so challenging about your Mum?
What's the college course?

Paula
04-06-20, 05:24 PM
I feel your pain with girls and their boyfriends!

Sorry about Pen’s dad, is he recovering at all? But I am glad you’re able to enjoy your time at home, relaxing

Arty
04-06-20, 06:05 PM
Thanks ladies.
The course is a teaching's assistant qualification (level 2)
I guess with Mum, she is still in the very early stages of grieving, so I always want to say the right thing. Today is the first birthday she has celebrated since being a widow. I cooked a nice lunch and we gave her some ceramic owls, a Nan mug and a light up tree for the garden x

Suzi
04-06-20, 08:49 PM
Are you a TA?
The first birthday is so hard.

Hope you've had a lovely evening.

Arty
04-06-20, 09:36 PM
Thanks Suzi, I feel more rested now.
I am not a TA. The course is the first step to becoming one. You do one day of study per week and one day in a placement (which I have secured) Pen and I have agreed that I will do level 2 and then take it from there. When the kids were at primary school I helped out a lot so I am hoping to build upon that. I have bought 2 books and am dipping into them.
Thank you for being there my friends x

Paula
05-06-20, 12:14 AM
Always, hunni

Suzi
05-06-20, 09:05 AM
Good for you!

We're always here x

Arty
05-06-20, 01:25 PM
This morning I took the girls to the coast and I swam in the sea again. It really lifted my mood. We had a laugh and even played a game of frisbee. We stayed well away from anyone else, only problem is the lack of toilets! I’m going to rest as much as possible this afternoon. Tomorrow I am helping Pen in the studio.x

Suzi
05-06-20, 02:00 PM
That does sound like fun! I miss swimming in the sea - there's nothing like it!