PDA

View Full Version : Covid-19

Paula
17-03-20, 05:08 PM
The impacts of this virus have been felt across the world and particularly so over the past couple of weeks. Many, many, many people globally are isolating - whether that’s as a recommended action, a lockdown or because they are seriously ill. The next few weeks and months are going to be extremely painful for all of us, and this is almost certainly going to impact on our mental health. The World Health Organisation has produced an article giving information on how to protect our mental health during this time, whether you’re a carer, parent, healthcare worker, someone in isolation or just generally coping day to day.

Remember though, that the DWD team and other members will be here to support each other. We are a community and a family, which is exactly what’s needed at times like these.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/mental-health-considerations.pdf?sfvrsn=6d3578af_2

Suzi
17-03-20, 05:23 PM
Maybe we could come up with a list of suggestions of things that people could do to help spend their time if in isolation?

Painting?
Drawing?
Knitting?
Crochet?
Learn a language?

Any other ideas?

Strugglingmum
17-03-20, 06:07 PM
Jigsaws
Walk on the beach if poss
Learn an instrument
Zentangle
Yoga
Learn to bake

magie06
17-03-20, 08:44 PM
Crystal art
Gardening
Learn a new language/skill
Write a book about your life to pass onto your child/children

Suzi
17-03-20, 09:02 PM
OO love the idea about the book of your life!
Family tree?

magie06
17-03-20, 10:36 PM
I gave my mum a book to give back to me for my 40th birthday present. It was just before she fell and hurt herself and it has become very precious to me and everyone in my family very recently.

selena
18-03-20, 07:47 AM
Cooking more myself...

Suzi
18-03-20, 08:09 AM
I gave my mum a book to give back to me for my 40th birthday present. It was just before she fell and hurt herself and it has become very precious to me and everyone in my family very recently.
An amazing heirloom and very special... (bear)

Jaquaia
18-03-20, 04:58 PM
Everywhere we were planning on taking the children over Easter had closed so we're going to look at exploring the local area. Dalby Forest, Dane's Dyke Nature Reserve, North York Moors, Yorkshire Wolds, Flamborough Head, the old railway line near the village... we'll just get our monies worth out of the walking boots instead. Lots of fresh air and picnics. Start getting the garden sorted, me and A are going to make a fairie garden! Then lots of craft stuff and baking and T can do some modelling with J.

Knitting
Cross-stitch
Reading

Stella180
18-03-20, 08:35 PM
I went out for a drive today. Didn’t know where I was going, just got to a junction and randomly chose left or right. If I saw a side road that looked interesting then I turned off. I used to love doing that when I was younger, me and a car full of mates randomly drinking til we found a pub to stop for a drink before heading home again.

Tonight I also chose to delete the FB app from my phone. There is so much misinformation going around and I’m getting increasingly frustrated about it all so have to take a break before it drives me insane.

Flo
21-03-20, 10:53 AM
Crystal art
Gardening
Learn a new language/skill
Write a book about your life to pass onto your child/children Good for you..
A book about my life would be banned I (rofl)think!!

Flo
21-03-20, 10:56 AM
Not watching the news.
Knitting
Cross stitch
Watching a lot of recordings
Weeding when the weather allows!
Eating chocolate!

Stella180
21-03-20, 04:42 PM
I just popped to my local CoOp and the lovely lass behind the counter gave me a leaflet with the stores details on so if I need anything to call them and they will arrange to deliver it for me. I lovely gesture in this difficult time.

Flo
21-03-20, 07:30 PM
There are some lovely and caring people about..we don't get to hear about them much. Just the selfish thoughtless ones. When I hear about the lovely gestures it lifts my spirit no end.

Suzi
21-03-20, 09:08 PM
I completely agree X

Jaquaia
21-03-20, 10:03 PM
The bakery my family work at sent 800 loaves of bread to the local hospitals for NHS staff and are doing further deliveries over the coming week

Sissy
23-03-20, 08:11 PM
Stores here arrange grocery delivery to elderly, and keep the early hours every day open for high risk groups only. It makes me happy people care for each others. I worry about all those working in critical jobs. They must be exhausted. And even when people do remember medical care workers, police, military and fire fighters, I worry alot about our farmers. Because that is where the food comes from. Not from the grocery stores, but from the farms.

And on a side note. It took this pandemic to make the crazy chicken lady everyone's favourite neighbour.

Suzi
23-03-20, 08:37 PM
That's it. UK on Lockdown. Closures of all shops which sell anything apart from food and medicine, libraries, playgrounds, places of worship etc.
No gatherings of more then 2 people unless you live together. Police to have the powers to disperse people, hand out fines etc.
Only allowed out to get shopping etc as infrequently as possible....
At least 3 weeks.

Stella180
23-03-20, 09:29 PM
And one form of exercise per day. Who thought you could get arrested for jogging twice a day.

It’s going to get to the point where we will have police on the doors of supermarkets cos right now they are large gatherings and queueing and social distancing don’t go hand it hand. I attempted to place an order with local supermarkets today and I can’t get a slot for delivery OR click and collect. What other choice do I have? Also with the restrictions in place thinks to the selfish (swear)(swear)(swear)(swear)(swear)(swear)(swear)s I can’t get all I need for a full week never mind a month so I have to make more trips to the shops. Some thing needs to be done cos it’s the most vulnerable people who are being left out.

Suzi
23-03-20, 09:31 PM
Most supermarkets are opening earlier for those who are elderly or vulnerable...

Paula
23-03-20, 09:40 PM
Stella, register with the supermarket With your health conditions, you’ll have priority access to delivery slots.

Stella180
23-03-20, 09:48 PM
But that still means the more vulnerable people are being forced out of the house when surely they should get priory or delivery services to avoid exposure. I’m having to stick to smaller local shops which means paying more and having less range.

I know these measures are put in place for a reason but it doesn’t favour the vulnerable members of society. Do you think old Gladys at No.54 can afford to stockpile essentials on her state pension? Or Dennis who lost his sight to diabetes can just potter to the shops every day hoping he’ll catch a toilet roll delivery? Nobody cares and this is why humanity is the real disease that is killing people.

Paula
23-03-20, 09:52 PM
Exactly why the priority deliveries are being put in place. Sainsbury’s are only giving slots to those registered with them as vulnerable.

I’m getting this message from the Sainsbury’s app - until the computer updates with my info tomorrow

https://i.ibb.co/XCW3nNV/E276-D779-C77-E-4454-8-BFA-2847-C816152-D.png (https://ibb.co/LZ0JTbv)
no sign in (https://imgbb.com/)

Suzi
23-03-20, 10:01 PM
Actually I've been blown away by the kindness of people. We have a fb group for our road and we're all checking on each other etc. We have a local fruit and veg shop who is doing up fruit and veg boxes and delivering them and homemade soup to those who need it for free. Yesterday I posted asking if anyone knew a supermarket which had Quorn Vegan pieces in - the staple of Hazel's diet and creative cookery and lentils. I had offers from 3 different people with them and nuggets, a vegan cafe offering lentils and veggie sausages, offers from people to share the lentils they have with me. None of these people would take any money for any of the items either. It was amazing.

Jaquaia
23-03-20, 10:06 PM
My brother in law is giving up a couple of hours each morning to take any NHS workers or vulnerable people shopping. He's also running around getting shopping for my parents.

Jaquaia
24-03-20, 02:05 PM
https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

This may help a few here

Stella180
24-03-20, 02:43 PM
Not sure about “extremely” vulnerable but I’ve completely the form due to my asthma and see what happens.

Jaquaia
24-03-20, 02:43 PM
I've signed the mother up for it.

Stella180
24-03-20, 02:58 PM
That will please her!

Suzi
24-03-20, 05:05 PM
I can't work out whether I class as vulnerable or not anymore! The lists keep changing!! I'm not according to that link.... Yet others have said I am!

Stella180
24-03-20, 06:15 PM
I have Asthma, Diabetes and Hypertension, basically all the fat diseases :P I know the risk is greater to anyone with any of those conditions so with all of them I’d heading for a full house. This new super category of people who are virtually dead already so a common cold is dangerous to them which is why despite having asthma I don’t think I’m all that bad but I’ve given my details just in case and they can check my medical history and decide.

Paula
24-03-20, 06:24 PM
I completely agree, Stella. Give them the info, Suzi, and let them figure it out

Suzi
24-03-20, 08:01 PM
Because I don't have any of the following list then I don't qualify for this one...

You’re extremely vulnerable if you:

have had a solid organ transplant
have lung cancer, and you’re getting active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy
have cancer of the blood or bone marrow, at any stage of treatment - for example, leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma
have any cancer for which you’re getting immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments
have any cancer for which you’re getting a targeted treatment which can affect the immune system - for example, protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or are still taking immunosuppression drugs
have a severe respiratory condition - including cystic fibrosis, severe asthma or severe COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
have a rare disease or inborn error of metabolism that significantly increases your risk of infection - for example SCID or homozygous sickle cell
are getting an immunosuppression therapy that’s sufficient to significantly increase your risk of infection
are pregnant, and have a significant congenital or acquired heart disease

Hypertension isn't acquired heart disease is it?

OldMike
24-03-20, 09:25 PM
I would say hypertension is a heart disease or more correctly a disease of the circulatory system which by its nature can affect the heart it can cause a left side abnormality as indicated by my ECG and yet an echo scan contradicted that. I do suffer from tachycardia (high heart rate typical about 100) plus I have an abnormal T-wave (unspecified) not sure what that is, after all the tests the consultant said bugger off not much wrong with you dude (not really he said this gentleman has no left side abnormality and I'm discharging him).

I think untreated hypertension can result in increased risks of strokes and heart attacks but if treated you still have a slightly raised chance of the afore mentioned but it is not worth worrying about just eat a good diet and exercise and you should be okay.

Suzi
24-03-20, 09:30 PM
I'm on medication for it, I was more wondering for that form, that's all...

Wouldn't it be awesome if that's actually what they did say?

Paula
24-03-20, 09:33 PM
They ask for your nhs number, so will be able to access your medical records which will pick this up, hopefully. All you can do is submit the form and see what happens

Stella180
24-03-20, 09:39 PM
Something to be aware of when putting out rubbish...

For those self-isolating due to having contracted Covid-19 or suspecting that they have contracted it, all personal waste, such as tissues, should be double-bagged and kept separate from other waste for 72 hours, before being placed in the black bin.

Suzi
24-03-20, 09:55 PM
They ask for your nhs number, so will be able to access your medical records which will pick this up, hopefully. All you can do is submit the form and see what happens
But if I don't count as heart disease then I don't qualify at all... It's fine, I'm just not sure.

Stella180
24-03-20, 10:23 PM
Suzi it doesn’t really matter. If you are in any doubt cover your own ass and keep yourself safe however you need to.

Jaquaia
25-03-20, 10:15 PM
My mum has received a letter saying she needs to self-isolate for 12 weeks. I haven't so far but suspect I may under immunosuppression therapy.

I felt so sorry for my f-i-l this morning. He dropped some crisps and biscuits off for the kids and I explained that they could talk to him but only if they stayed on the step as grandpa was vulnerable. A didn't fully understand and we thought she'd gone back in to play except she'd actually put her shoes on so she could go to him. He looked absolutely heartbroken telling her she needed to stay away.

Mira
26-03-20, 07:34 AM
That are situations that are so rough. But she will understand later I am sure of it.

12 weeks of self isolation. Here they are not implementing these kinds of things. They are leaving a lot up to common sense. Though they are getting more firm lately

Jaquaia
26-03-20, 08:16 AM
They tried that here and too many people were idiots

Mira
26-03-20, 08:55 AM
Same here. So they are making more rules and going to write tickets. Why do people play with fire?

Paula
26-03-20, 09:18 AM
Because they don’t believe it’s going to happen to them. And it may not, but they could infect someone who becomes seriously ill with it - and that’s the issue here

Suzi
26-03-20, 11:17 AM
It's partly because to start with the official line was that "it's a bit like flu.." which totally downplayed how serious it is...

OldMike
26-03-20, 12:13 PM
One of my sister's neighbours said let's all come round to my house and have a party (are they not listening! we are supposed to isolate) my bro in law and sister are far too wise and said no we are isolating as per the guidelines/government requirements.

One thing that has confused me is often on the news it is said that for a lot of people the symptoms are only mild and you'll soon recover, surely it is serious or not and seeing hospitals packed with people looking really ill all over the world "IT IS SERIOUS"

Jarre
26-03-20, 12:26 PM
People were panic buying again, I went at 1pm to Tesco yesterday and managed to get some food but milk, bread, pasta, eggs were all gone so i have improvised and also looking at things different to have stupidly there was lots of fruit left so I got apples, pears, banana and frozen raspberry, blueberry's and strawberry's so i can blitz them together and make a smoothy with them. I had to go to 4 shops before I found milk so basically go as soon after elderly and keyworker shopping times but be prepared to que at social distancing it was madness, and around here all supermarkets are booked up for a whole month with deliveries. At least now i don't have to go anywhere for a week.

selena
26-03-20, 12:41 PM
The number of cases in my place has officially reached the number of 150 cases (1 death, 2 treated). But the situation in Romania reached a critical point, more than thousand cases. And the most affected area is closer to our borders, the part of Romania closer to Austria has been affected too, but the number of treated patiens is very high and they have managed to keep the situation under control.
The problem number 2 - thousands of the citizens who lost their jobs entered the country in the last weeks and not everybody has complied with the self-isolation rule. Most of people came from Italy. So the number is supposed to be bigger. These people are nearly hated by many locals because they "spread" (let's say not exactly true, as somebody stayed self-isolated) the coronavirus. The local medical system is poor and they will be hardly able to provide assistance in case of lungs ventilation (only around 10 machines in the whole republic!).
The problem number 3- from one side, a high panic (nearly everybody with mask, either it is via online or hand-made). Ironically, but I wear the masks I was supposed to wear on my annulled trip to Paris. But the saddest thing is that some people (comprising my boss) try to present the whole situation as an artificial "cyrcus" and that this is a season flu. Of course, the most are aware, but it is really dangerous, especially to see the retired in the street or people sorting out for picnics.

Shops- people have bought and still buying a lot of items, the problem is the food, as for the toilet rolls no problem, there are plenty of them...

Paula
26-03-20, 03:25 PM
One of my sister's neighbours said let's all come round to my house and have a party (are they not listening! we are supposed to isolate) my bro in law and sister are far too wise and said no we are isolating as per the guidelines/government requirements.

One thing that has confused me is often on the news it is said that for a lot of people the symptoms are only mild and you'll soon recover, surely it is serious or not and seeing hospitals packed with people looking really ill all over the world "IT IS SERIOUS"

For a lot of people it is a mild illness. But for far too many, it causes pneumonia and the virus fills up the lungs with scar tissue so there’s less room for air, literally suffocating them. And, of course, because it’s new, no one has immunity so many, many more people are being infected.

Prycejosh1987
08-06-20, 08:54 AM
Maybe we could come up with a list of suggestions of things that people could do to help spend their time if in isolation?

Painting?
Drawing?
Knitting?
Crochet?
Learn a language?

Any other ideas?

Maybe we could use the internet, or develop your relationship with our loved ones.

scilover
09-07-20, 04:39 AM
Over here in my place, the cases have dropped thankfully and lockdown has ended. Usually there are 1 digit cases now everyday....but it still scares me from time to time to think that all it takes is 1 infected person to go to a crowded area and start a second wave of cases again.....

Suzi
09-07-20, 06:12 AM
I think the prospect of a second wave is something that many people are worried about.

scilover
10-07-20, 04:48 AM
Yes that's true....I hope that won't be the case. It's been 3 months of lockdown for me and I don't want to go through the hassle of it again hahaha.

Suzi
10-07-20, 09:18 AM
I agree! Part of me is looking forward to leaving my house!

scilover
13-07-20, 04:35 AM
Hahaha yes! But one thing that I can't get is that most people aren't wearing masks anymore when they go out in public, especially in crowded places. I understand the cases are 1 digits numbers already....but it still isn't safe. Maybe i'm overthinking about it hahaha.

Suzi
13-07-20, 09:26 AM
I don't understand why it hasn't been made mandatory like it is on public transport, but hey? What do I know?!

scilover
14-07-20, 04:30 AM
I was thinking the same as well! Public transportation is like the hotspot for the virus spreading. If one person who is infected gets onto a bus, who knows how many cases will rise....

magie06
14-07-20, 02:42 PM
They just made wearing masks on public transport mandatory here yesterday. But they are still letting flights in from America. About 3-4 flights per day. Stupid. We are an island, a three year old would know if you close the border (i.e. airports and sea ports) the virus could be kept out.

Suzi
14-07-20, 02:55 PM
That's exactly what Marc was saying about here...

Mira
21-11-20, 05:01 PM
I was wondering if the rules for dealing with Covid are the same in the whole of the UK? And does Ireland have other rules?

Strugglingmum
21-11-20, 05:32 PM
Northern Ireland assembly makes the decisions for NI. As far as I know Scotland has slightly different restrictions than England/Wales. Republic of Ireland government makes the restrictions for the Republic of Ireland.

Mira
21-11-20, 05:37 PM
Ok so there can be just as many difference between them all as lets say the Netherlands and Germany and Belgium.

Strugglingmum
21-11-20, 06:21 PM
I guess so.

Suzi
21-11-20, 06:38 PM
It's mad. Too many differences and too many differences within each area. It'd be much simpler if there was 1 rule only...

magie06
21-11-20, 09:12 PM
We've had our second lockdown for the past 3 weeks or so, with another 2 weeks to go. All non essential businesses are closed and supermarkets are not allowed to sell non essential items. Therefore, all of the clothes isles are cordened off. Public transport is only allowed to run at 25% except for school buses which are allowed to run at 100%. People have been asked to work from home, except for essential workers. Last lockdown schools were closed but this time they have remained open.

Suzi
21-11-20, 09:37 PM
I know it seems mad that schools are being told to stay open. At the school that my 2 youngest go to its currently got year 8, 9 and 10 sent home with positive tests and year 7 have already been sent home 2ce.... Mine are in years 11 and 6th form so we are waiting.....
I can't see our lockdown being lifted on the 2nd tbh, and I think they'll lift it for Christmas and New Years week and then hit us with another one....

Stella180
21-11-20, 09:48 PM
I don’t see the point of relaxing restrictions over Christmas. It’s ridiculous.

Paula
21-11-20, 10:30 PM
I don’t see the point of relaxing restrictions over Christmas. It’s ridiculous.

While I agree on principle, my need to see Katie Christmas Day tops everything for me

Angie
22-11-20, 10:26 AM
I think families should be able to visit families not anyone else at Christmas, to many people have been kept apart for way to long, it breaks my heart when people I care for havent seen their grandchildren in months etc its gone on way to long.

Stella180
22-11-20, 02:25 PM
Yes I get it, Christmas is a big thing and a time for families but if that means putting your loved ones at risk it could very well be your last Christmas together.

Angie
22-11-20, 06:26 PM
I get what your saying but wear masks or face visors, dont go if you any symptoms. or keep distance of at least 6 foot with a mask on just let people have some normality this year, its gone beyond stupid now. Get a test before going.

Stella180
22-11-20, 06:31 PM
But then there is an argument that providing we put all these measures in place we should be able to live a normal life and there will be no need for lockdown. The problem is some people refused to do even that and ruin it for the rest of us

Angie
22-11-20, 06:36 PM
We cant go into lockdown forever it has to end somewhere, yup know a few that ruined it. But I think a few days at christmas is very much needed, mentally aswell. Families need to be able to be together at some point, we cant go back to what it was like during the first lockdown.

magie06
24-11-20, 09:12 PM
Here we have a daily check on numbers and deaths. Just last week, we went over 2,000 deaths from Covid. I have looked and looked but I can't find any data of how many people have died by suicide, cancer or any of the non Covid things people die from in a normal year. We are just getting Covid data.
As regards to Christmas, I would love to just have a big meet up with all my family. We need each other this year more than ever. But there are quite a few people who have major health problems. I have a brother who's had cancer, sisters who are taking methotrexate for arthritis, another brother who has diabetes, and of course my dad who has COPD. So, this year for everyone's sake I'll be staying away.

Suzi
25-11-20, 08:18 AM
I'm desperate to see my family, but I don't want to risk carrying anything from here to them... Or to catch it from them to us.... I don't know what we're going to do yet.

Angie
25-11-20, 10:54 AM
Its a case of using judgement, if there are vulnerabilities then its better to stay away, but if there are no vulnerabilities and no symptoms then there should be a way having a visit, even if means isolating a few days before and after a visit and even if this is just for christmas

OldMike
25-11-20, 03:42 PM
I'm with you Suzi I'm so undecided about Xmas should I go to sis's or not will I risk catching something or possibly them catching something from me, the more I see the news the more uncertain I am.

Suzi
25-11-20, 05:58 PM
Mike, I have to say that you've had so little contact that actually you going to your sis's sounds like the better thing to do to help your mental health.... I'm concerned that you aren't actually having much social contact at all..

Paula
25-11-20, 05:59 PM
I agree with Suzi, please don’t spend Christmas Day on your own....

Angie
25-11-20, 06:24 PM
Thirded from me, I do agree with Suzi and Paula x

Strugglingmum
25-11-20, 06:25 PM
I would love to know you are with your sis for Christmas Mike. X

Flo
26-11-20, 05:36 AM
I think so too Mike.

Strugglingmum
26-11-20, 06:32 AM
There you go Mike, if Flo says it it must be right. X

Flo
26-11-20, 11:11 AM
There you go Mike, if Flo says it it must be right. X

Oh I don't know about that SM! But Mike, I don't think you or anyone that lives on their own for that matter can go on indefinitely without some contact with family, but obviously the decision is up to you. But if I was in your shoes I'd give it a go.

Stella180
26-11-20, 03:24 PM
Just been informed that we will be in tier 2 here from 2 Dec. It’s a good job I don’t actually have any friends or family to invite to my home.

Jaquaia
26-11-20, 04:05 PM
We're tier 3.

Stella180
26-11-20, 04:16 PM
Now that really sucks. I’m just getting really fed up with it all now.

Angie
26-11-20, 05:25 PM
Most areas will go to tier 2 or 3 and its reviewed fortnightly, yup everyone is fed up of it to be honest.

Suzi
26-11-20, 06:49 PM
We have stayed in tier 2. I'm surprised. I was expecting us to hit tier 3. I'm sure it's coming.

Knowle
26-11-20, 07:37 PM
I live in Nottingham so I am in in tier 3. I think the restrictions are wholly necessary but my heart really goes out to people whose livelihoods are being destroyed but the restrictions.

The economic situation is horrendous - hopefully once it is safe it can bounce back.

Flo
26-11-20, 07:49 PM
We're in Tier 2 in Somerset......grrr!

magie06
27-11-20, 12:29 PM
We're in level 5. No travelling more than 5km from home. No visitors or no visiting. Work from home. Etc. On Tuesday at midnight we go to level 3. We can move around our county, have no more than 6 people from 3 different households, non essential shops and businesses can re open, and we can have a somewhat normal Christmas. Because everyone knows that Covid stops for Christmas.

Suzi
27-11-20, 01:32 PM
Level 5? We don't even have a level 5... Sorry lovely. It all seems a bit mad doesn't it?

Knowle
20-12-20, 11:53 PM
If it was mad in November it is far worse now.

I do find the whole situation very frightening - especially for my Mum who I live with and is 71 and has asthma as well one of my best friends who has a severe underlying health condition.

Hopefully in the coming months things will get better.

Suzi
21-12-20, 07:55 AM
I think we're all hoping that.
We're in the new Tier 4, so under the "stay at home order." It's difficult, but it's important so that we can share another Christmas.... All you can do is follow the guidelines, wash and sanitise hands, wear masks (unless genuinely exempt) and keep social distancing....

Stella180
21-12-20, 10:17 AM
The whole thing and the way it is being handled by the government is ridiculous. We now have a “new strain” so does this mean that all that work on rushing through a vaccine will be pointless? Or is this just an excuse for when the vaccine doesn’t work as expected? Local lockdowns are only going to impact local small businesses and kill off the high street completely. The rich continue to get richer while the poor get poorer. Our NHS has been applauded for offering a worse service to the majority with f2f consultations and operations not taking place meaning so many people having to suffer with pain and discomfort which only adds to poor mental health.

I get that this virus is a potential killer and we have to limit our exposure to protect ourselves but at the same time many, just maybe this is Mother Nature’s was of “thinning the herd”. The human race is responsible for the destruction of rainforests and disrupted the natural balance of the planet to benefit ourselves. Our numbers keep increasing while we hunt many species in near extinction. Maybe it’s our turn to be kulled to restore balance? I know that’s an unpopular idea because nobody wants to sacrifice themselves or loved ones and of course I’m no different but maybe this is what has to happen to allow the generations that come after us to rebuild and live happier lives?

Paula
21-12-20, 11:06 AM
There are already many thousand mutations of this virus and most of them don’t change what’s going on globally. No one can predict which mutations are going to be dangerous or significant. The government received reports only recently of this mutation and, as I understand it, only discovered how infectious it was on Friday. So they had to act quickly. I can’t see what more they could have done in this instance. And, from what I’ve looked at, the mutations are not very dramatic so should still respond to the vaccines.

Knowle
21-12-20, 12:36 PM
I think the government have had a near impossible task in the last few months - trying to minimise deaths and serious illness from Covid whilst at the same time trying to prop the economy up. Unfortunately, as a country we have fared very badly on both counts. However, Europe as a continent has been hit very badly - no western European country has come close to replicating the success most East Asian countries have at keeping the virus well under control.

The very annoying thing about the PM is his constant bold promises and pledges and then completely under-delivering time and time again. From "the word beating test and trace system", "significant return to normality" by Christmas, "we can send the coronavirus packing" and "we can turn the tide in 12 weeks" back in March. Personally, I find it hard to take what he says seriously now.

I am very lucky that I still have my job and so far have not had any health problems from Covid.

Stella180
21-12-20, 01:12 PM
That is exactly what I'm talking about Knowle, BoJo has underestimated the impact and made promises he couldn't deliver. How are we expected to trust him? Constantly raising hopes only to let people down. This latest Christmas promise for people able to spend time together, and week before strict local lockdowns put a stop to that for so many people.
That means that vulnerable people who thought they were going to be with family so didn't get in the essencials cos they wouldn't be home suddenly are left at the last minute with nothing, unable to go out, shops shut and totally isolated. Good luck getting a super market delivery to cover you at this stage.

Suzi
21-12-20, 02:02 PM
I'm no fan of Boris and his cronies, and I think things could and should have been handled much better from the outstart. We had 2 weeks warning as to what was coming when we could have protected ourselves - we're an island. If all borders had been shut then we could have had a much better state - look at New Zealand. They shut everything and it was controlled with a seriously harsh lockdown. They then reopened their borders and they let in someone from here and it started again, but it was contained quickly and sorted.
The changing of the rules between our countries squabbling and using it as a political football is ridiculous. It's simple, the scientists tell you to shut everything, lock everything then that's what you do, you don't carry on allowing friends and family to travel wherever they like, order rubbish ppe from your mates company and put another mate in charge of the test and trace app that is not exactly effective....

Yes Christmas being made more difficult is hard on everyone, harder on those in tier 4 who had plans to meet up with family. I, luckily had already made the decision I wasn't travelling to see my family and didn't want them here as we are so close to London. But I'm still sad, but it's the safest thing to do. Right now, that's what I have to hold on to - it being the safest thing. Marc and Hazel and I all have autoimmune conditions, Fern is allergic to so much so for me the fear is real. With my shopping list of diagnosis I fall in the high risk category, but I know if my Mum catches it with severe asthma and a heart condition that she has already outlived the prognosis for I am not going to be the one to give it to her. It is that simple.

Angie
21-12-20, 02:11 PM
Suzi totally agree with you that Boris Gump and his cronies handled it wrong from the start, smartest thing to do at the very very begininng put masks on and keep distance but no advice given properly, I am sick to death of telling people to back away from me, Jays lungs are not good, we have been told to keep an eye on Caitlin for her lungs and Ryans immune system isnt brilliant, though they are not classed as high risk its a risk I wont take.

My brothers ex girlfriends mum lost her husband 6 weeks ago, she lives in wales and was going to stay with her daughter for a few days over xmas, now that wont happen, so now she is going to be on her own over christmas grieving for her husband.

Suzi
21-12-20, 04:10 PM
That's so sad...

Stella180
21-12-20, 04:14 PM
It is the case for so many unfortunately which is why I feel so angry that promises were made that simply cannot be fulfilled. My cousin who lost her husband earlier in the year lives in London and in the same position. First Christmas without him and can’t have her family around to help her deal with it.

Strugglingmum
21-12-20, 05:21 PM
It's all very difficult but to be honest I would hate to be in government in unprecedented times of a global pandemic. Who signed up for that! I would hate to have to decide which research to follow, which professionals to be guided by with so much conflicting evidence.
I am in no way defending the government but I guess as things develop and unfold difficult decisions have to be made and what was ok today may not be ok tomorrow.

Flo
22-12-20, 06:05 AM
I have to agree with you SM. It's all very upsetting that people's plans have totally been turned upside down, but if restrictions aren't put into place - however late in the day - they're blamed for negligence. There's more conflicting scientific advice than you can shake a stick at! I wouldn't have the job! The government are damned if they do and damned if they don't and it's a 'no win' situation. We've just got to get on with it as best we can I suppose.:s

magie06
22-12-20, 10:54 AM
New level 5 restrictions are coming in here on Christmas Eve afternoon. There were supposed to be no flights in since Sunday evening, but people were flying into Belfast and driving across the border.

Suzi
22-12-20, 11:22 AM
How are the level 5 restrictions different for what you have now?

magie06
22-12-20, 11:41 AM
No travelling more than 2km. All non essential businesses to close. No visitors to the house. No hugs or handshakes.

Paula
22-12-20, 12:51 PM
We haven’t had hugs or handshakes since March :(

Knowle
22-12-20, 07:10 PM
Indeed - I did an elbow bump with my friend today.

The situation in England is very frightening - I am torn between not following the news but also wanting to know what is going on.

Suzi
04-01-21, 03:19 PM
As of midnight Scotland are going into a full "legal requirement to stay at home" lockdown including closing all schools until at least Feb.

Boris is going to be announcing the English changes tonight at 8pm. This is to explain what's going to happen as they have stated that the tier system isn't enough to counteract the spread of the virus. Jeremy Hunt is urging BJ to go into full lockdown and close all schools immediately.

Flo
04-01-21, 04:36 PM
OMG!! Wonder if Zoe and co knows about this? It doesn't surprise me really....I think the only way to get a grip on this plague is to have the whole of the UK singing from the same hymn sheet. Anyone think the same as me??

Paula
04-01-21, 05:29 PM
Yep. Not gonna happen though

Suzi
04-01-21, 06:09 PM
Also completely agree...

Stella180
04-01-21, 06:44 PM
Hmmmmm, I don’t know what to think anymore. So much confusion and BS I kinda home I catch it and it finishes me off

Flo
04-01-21, 08:01 PM
Hmmmmm, I don’t know what to think anymore. So much confusion and BS I kinda home I catch it and it finishes me offOh! don't say that!!:s Wish someone would give BoJo a bloody comb!!

Suzi
04-01-21, 08:13 PM
Hmmmmm, I don’t know what to think anymore. So much confusion and BS I kinda home I catch it and it finishes me off
I'm actually really shocked you'd even say something like that. I find that comment really insensitive and out of order actually. Esp as you have lost someone through this and I've friends who have family in intensive care fighting for their life..

The update for England is all schools to shut until AT LEAST February 1/2 term
GCSE + A LEVELS are to be cancelled
Other National exams to be cancelled
Full lockdown

Stella180
04-01-21, 08:43 PM
We’ve all gotta go out one way or another. If I wanted to be imprisoned I’d have committed a crime. I’m sick and tired of living in fear of a virus. If I get it I get it. I don’t care anymore :(

Paula
04-01-21, 09:16 PM
Do you think I want to be shut indoors for God alone knows how much longer? Do you think any of us do? But these restrictions are all about beating the virus, not living in fear of it.

And, by all accounts, it’s a horrible, horrible way to die - suffocated by your own lungs. And that’s if you don’t have a stroke, heart attack, septicaemia ...... Is that really how you’d want to go? I don’t think you do, that this is about other issues. Which is why it’s even more upsetting to me that you’d say something like that when I know you are a much more caring, sensitive person than that

Suzi
04-01-21, 09:24 PM
Great, that's what I'll tell my mate to tell her BIL then? The one who is on a ventilator where no one is allowed to go and visit? That's what we tell his kids? That staying in and keeping her daughter safe is pointless as after all we've all got to go...

I'm actually really cross that you can say things like this when so many have lost so many and not only through covid, but who weren't able to be there for important things like births, marriages, funerals etc because of the possibility that they could pass it on to someone else...
I understand you're struggling, but this isn't the kind of comment you'd make - especially when you knew that some of us were struggling with knowing people who were dealing with this...

magie06
04-01-21, 09:41 PM
As of earlier today, my brother and his wife are to see no one for the next 14 days. My brother has been recognized as a very close contact of someone diagnosed with Covid.
The chief medical officer has suggested that we are in a total lockdown until at the earliest the beginning of February. However our minister for education has stated that schools are very safe and they should reopen next Monday. The government are going to meet on Wednesday to discuss the matter. Because, well, it's the Christmas holidays.

Knowle
04-01-21, 10:20 PM
I think we are fed up to the back teeth of this horrible situation and we all have lots and lots of enjoyable and meaningful things that we miss.

However, if we were to go on business as usual the virus would run riot through society and many, many more people would die then already are doing. The NHS is barely coping as it is.

There are no good solutions in all of this - it is choosing between the least worst outcomes. The economic damage is horrendous and I feel heart sorry for anyone who has lost their job or their business through this.

At least it is now not the open ended nightmare that was unleashed last year - with the vaccination program there is a way out of this nightmare.

Knowle
05-01-21, 07:29 PM
I hope everyone has managed the first day of lockdown okay.

It has not made much difference to me to be honest as I am still off work sick recuperating and getting settled on the new medication.

magie06
05-01-21, 07:35 PM
There was 46 new cases in my town yesterday. We only have a population of just under 10,000. That means that one in four are now infected. The numbers have been scary for the last 3 weeks.

Knowle
05-01-21, 08:04 PM
The numbers are very frightening.

I am especially worried for my Mum who is over 70 and one of my closest friends who has a severe and chronic underlying health condition.

Paula
05-01-21, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I have to admit I’ve had enough of shielding but my hubby keeps reminding me that I’m warm, comfortable, not alone and it will end

Stella180
05-01-21, 08:43 PM
There was 46 new cases in my town yesterday. We only have a population of just under 10,000. That means that one in four are now infected. The numbers have been scary for the last 3 weeks.

Are you reading the figures right? Maybe 1 on 4 have been infected but how many have recovered? As they say there are lie damned lies and statistics.

Suzi
05-01-21, 09:20 PM
The figures for Bens uni are scary.
If my Mum catches it, it will kill her. There's no two ways about it. I'm not shielding, but not going out and not seeing anyone apart from my family. The only time I'm going out is for medical appointments.....

To be honest I've spoken to a friend of mine whose bil is in intensive care. They were weaning him off the ventilator but with delirium and he tore the breathing line so has been put back under totally. He's been on a ventilator for 2 1/2 weeks and on CPAP before that. His children are in pieces, his mum is beside herself and the hospital call once a day to speak to our friends husband - his brother who then has to pass the information around the family. No visitors.

Stella180
05-01-21, 09:45 PM
I know the way it works. It’s better now than it was in April. My cousin has 6 children and a wife but only 5 allowed to the funeral. It took 6hrs for the news of his death to be confirmed with his next of kin. It sucks, it really does but the deaths of those infected are still a minority. Yes any loss of life is important especially to the loved ones and I don’t deny that for a second but the same goes for deaths to Cancer, Kidney disease, Flu even. All losses will be mourned but we as humans may think we are top of the food chain and rule the world but Mother Nature will always fight to right the balance.

Paula
05-01-21, 09:55 PM
There are c10,000 deaths in England and Wales per year. In 9 months, covid has killed over 75,000 people in the uk. And don’t forget, these are additional deaths to those lost by flu during the course of covid. It just doesn’t compare

https://www.greenwichccg.nhs.uk/News-Publications/news/Pages/Around-10,000-deaths-are-caused-by-flu-each-year-in-England-and-Wales.aspx

Stella180
05-01-21, 10:20 PM
You are completely missing my point.

Suzi
06-01-21, 09:13 AM
Yes there are lots of other deaths which aren't covid related, but this is real. This is scary and is far more than "a cold" or flu even...

Stella180
06-01-21, 09:50 PM
I never suggested it was anything but real or just the flu but even flu isn’t “just” the flu is it? I’m not underplaying this illness I’m just fed up with all the fannying around by the useless 2hats in power. It’s messing with everyone’s heads and the lack of clear direction is causing a lot of distress and I am totally fed up with all of it. I’m sick of the rule changes from one minute to the next and nobody for plan for anything positive.

Suzi
07-01-21, 09:12 AM
Oh I know you didn't, but I've had so many others who have...
At least the rules are in place until at least the end of Feb, but the legislation is in place until the end of March...

Paula
07-01-21, 09:15 AM
I think they are planning for positive though, it’s already been said that restrictions will be gradually eased as the vaccine impacts numbers, but it’d be irresponsible to give us false hope by setting out a timeline

Stella180
07-01-21, 09:26 AM
In our neighbouring county they were in tier 1 Christmas Day, tier 2 Boxing Day and tier 3 New Year’s Eve. I mean really? 3 tiers in the space of a week. It’s a joke and the constant changes are seriously doing my head in. The local supermarket I use have had 12 staff test positive for Covid earlier this week. I’ve reached saturation point regarding covid rules and news and although I obey the rules I’ve had enough of the whole damned thing.

Paula
07-01-21, 09:34 AM
My parents went from tier 1 to 4 in two weeks, which initially they were not happy about, until they saw how fast the figures had changed on the Isle of Wight in that space of time.....

Flo
07-01-21, 05:40 PM
I'm just watching coronavirus update on BBC. I've tried looking it up on google but can't get a definitive answer.....has the Excel/Nightingale Hospital been put into operation yet? I know they're fully equipped but are there any patients and staff working there? I haven't seen anything about it on the news!

Flo
07-01-21, 05:43 PM
Got the answer!!....Simon has just mentioned it....Nightingale is opening in London next week.

Suzi
07-01-21, 06:14 PM
It was open then it closed and they are reopening it again. Also using it as a "mass vaccination site" too ;)

Knowle
07-01-21, 09:08 PM
Horribly high death figures today - it will be a few weeks before we see new cases and deaths come down from the beginning of lockdown.

I am just taking things one day at a time but it is worrying for us all.

Paula
07-01-21, 11:05 PM
I’ve had an email confirming I should be shielding until at least 21 Feb, but also that I should have the jab by mid Feb - not too much longer before I can start to relax (my nails are taking the hit of my stress atm)

Knowle
07-01-21, 11:40 PM
Hopefully you will have the jab by mid February and the threat will be much reduced for you.

magie06
08-01-21, 12:28 PM
I know that as a small country in the EU, we are only going to get 1% of the allocation of the vaccine, but they have started arriving here since December 26th, and so far, only 20% of those doses have been administrated. The government have stated that the vaccine will only be administrated Mon - Fri, 9 - 5. Of course the virus will also adhere to these days and times!

Stella180
08-01-21, 12:36 PM
Ok. Serious question now. What happens after you’ve had your vaccination. I mean it’s not like polio or German measles, you’re not at risk of catching that the moment you set foot out of the front door. It which point do you decide to trust the vaccine works and you are safe in the outside world to live a relatively normal life again? That is a huge leap of faith and wondering how you switch from the mentality of stay home stay safe, to go out no risk? It’s not like a light switch you can just flick on and off.

magie06
08-01-21, 12:40 PM
The vaccine is delivered in two doses, which I think are 2 weeks apart. You still need to stay home between the doses, and as for me, I'll be staying home until there is a better uptake of the vaccine.

Stella180
08-01-21, 12:46 PM
That’s what I mean, if after the 2nd jab someone says you’re free to go about your business as normal, the rest of the world isn’t normal. We’ve have a year of this viral threat hanging over our heads and you can’t just suddenly say “phew that’s great, now let’s go you the pub/theatre/festival/sports event. Of course there will be people like that but for the rest of society with half a brain I t’s a big shift in mindset.

Strugglingmum
08-01-21, 12:57 PM
My nurse friends have all had the vaccine.
2 weeks between doses so still take hefty precautions between doses. You are considered immune 7 days after 2nd dose.

Paula
08-01-21, 07:26 PM
Absolutely not, and I suspect I’ll be shielding for quite a while. But at least it gives a glimpse of this ending for me. But apparently, immunity is at 21 days

Strugglingmum
08-01-21, 08:33 PM
21 days from initial dose which is 7 days after 2nd dose.
Although may depend which vaccine you are given but I'm sure everyone is given full instructions when they receive it anyway.
They all received the first manufacturer's to arrive.

Flo
09-01-21, 11:24 AM
Ian was phoned yesterday by the support group he volunteers for. They'll be vaccinating him shortly. He ferries patients around Somerset and Devon for hospital and surgery appointments. I don't know if my son or daughter-in-law have been jabbed yet...I'll message them.

Suzi
09-01-21, 11:55 AM
That's great that he's going to get vaccinated soon. With the role that he does that must be a really big weight off your mind...

Flo
15-01-21, 05:55 PM
Call me thick but I've got to ask this question...they're still talking about the elderly in care homes dying of covid. Bearing in mind that they haven't seen relatives for months, they don't go anywhere, they have care staff wearing PPE..etc..etc.. where in God's name are they getting Covid from? Also..the government need to stop all travel full stop! There's planes still going in and out of Britain everyday! They fined those two women in where was it..Cheshire? for going 5 miles outside their town although they're letting people travel abroad!!.Grrrrr...rant over! Phew!(punch)

Suzi
15-01-21, 06:34 PM
Lots of care home are taking covid + patients from hospitals just to clear beds for those who need ventilators etc....
We're close to Heathrow, I can't tell you how much we've all been saying that about travel..

Flo
15-01-21, 07:27 PM
That explains it! Thanks suzi. Was watching the news..looks like they're going to all but stop air travel....about bloody time!

Stella180
15-01-21, 07:33 PM
12 months too late

Suzi
19-01-21, 10:50 AM
Just found out that a friend of mine who has cancer was taken into hospital last night and is on a ventilator. I'm really worried...

Strugglingmum
19-01-21, 10:52 AM
Really sorry to hear that Suzi. (panda)

Suzi
19-01-21, 11:06 AM
Thank you lovely. I've known her husband since I was pregnant with Ben as we worked together in the same school. I got to know Dina through him and we sang together. I was so sad to hear about her cancer, but this feels like such a crappy thing to have happened when she was fighting so hard...

Paula
19-01-21, 01:22 PM
Oh love, I’m so sorry (panda)

Jaquaia
19-01-21, 10:56 PM
So sorry to hear that (panda)

Flo
20-01-21, 06:07 AM
So sorry to hear about your friend suzi, it's all so sad.

selena
20-01-21, 05:36 PM
I am very sad hearing this, especially because the person was affected by cancer, too sad indeed.

Suzi
20-01-21, 06:23 PM
My little brother has tested positive too.. They are having to test his wife (who is a senior physio) and their 2 children (4 and almost 1)... This is real and around us..

Paula
20-01-21, 06:45 PM
(panda)

Mira
20-01-21, 06:49 PM
Oh no, I hope things will turn out to be ok for them. Such trying times for them right now (panda)

Strugglingmum
20-01-21, 07:50 PM
Aw love, when it's close close it makes it even more real and scary. (panda)

Flo
21-01-21, 06:06 AM
Thinking of you love....(panda)

OldMike
25-01-21, 08:54 AM
(bear) (panda)

Suzi
25-01-21, 09:44 AM
Thank you. My brother is doing well, as is his lovely wife. My friend is on "life support respiratory device." She's a fighter, so we have hope. She's also got a very strong faith with people all over the world praying for her.

Paula
25-01-21, 10:00 AM
(panda)

Stella180
25-01-21, 10:48 AM
A good friend of mine lost her mum to Covid last week. She is devastated.

Suzi
25-01-21, 11:53 AM
I'm sorry to hear that, it's so horrible..

Flo
25-01-21, 11:54 AM
Thank you. My brother is doing well, as is his lovely wife. My friend is on "life support respiratory device." She's a fighter, so we have hope. She's also got a very strong faith with people all over the world praying for her.There's a lot to be said for the power of prayer. Everything crossed for her recovery.

A good friend of mine lost her mum to Covid last week. She is devastated.Sorry to hear that love....it's such a wicked illness.

Stella180
25-01-21, 01:09 PM
Oh and on a more positive note, someone I went to school with is part of the scientific team working on the vaccine.

Suzi
25-01-21, 01:28 PM
That's cool ;)

Stella180
25-01-21, 05:53 PM
I’m kinda baffled about the vaccine. After 3 weeks you are protected personally but you can potentially still transmit it to others. So every single person needs to have the jab? How do you transmit a virus that you can’t catch? Am I being dumb here?

Suzi
25-01-21, 08:59 PM
I'm not totally sure, I'm still researching it....

Paula
25-01-21, 09:45 PM
As I understand it, the vaccine helps protect you from getting seriously ill with the virus, not from actually catching it. The idea is that most people will have the jab which will mean the virus becomes controlled (with vaccine boosters annually) rather than got rid of completely. So, it’ll have a similar impact to flu. At least, that’s how I took it, feel free to let me know if I’ve got it wrong

Strugglingmum
25-01-21, 09:56 PM
My understanding is that it works like most vaccines and gives you a small exposure so that your immune system reacts and produces antibodies to fight the virus so that if you are exposed to it again then your body recognises it and knows how to fight it.
You can still be a carrier, just like now, people can be carriers without knowing they have come in contact with the virus.

Suzi
26-01-21, 10:20 AM
I think you're both right from the research I've been doing..

magie06
03-02-21, 12:50 PM
My niece in London is slowly getting better. She tested positive early last week and has been in isolation since. She has been working in a red zone since all this started, so she has been very lucky up to now.

Stella180
03-02-21, 01:00 PM
Always nice to hear a bit of good news.

Suzi
03-02-21, 01:26 PM
That's brilliant news...

Stella180
03-02-21, 01:30 PM
Anybody going to be clapping for Sir Tom tonight. I really don’t see the point personally. I’d much rather use his example to remind me to be a better person and think of others. Challenge myself to help those who deserve more.

Suzi
03-02-21, 01:36 PM
I'm not sure about the clapping. I know the monthly challenges that I do are planning on doing one for him later this year where the money goes to the NHS...

magie06
03-02-21, 03:24 PM
He was a wonderful man there's no doubt about that. If he was to have his funeral here the politicians would be queuing up to be seen at it. A's if his goodness might run off on them. Sorry folks it doesn't work like that.
A's for standing on my door step clapping, I don't think it does much good. Honor him in a better way by being the nice person. Let someone go in front of you in a queue, hold the door for someone (knit a carrot, ha ha).
The world is a very stressful place atm, just be kind.

Suzi
03-02-21, 03:35 PM
I agree, pay it forward (Amazing film, sobbed buckets)....

Stella180
03-02-21, 05:24 PM
Worded so much better than me. We need more Sir Tom’s in this world. Smashing fella and I’m sure his family are incredibly proud of him for all he has done for others throughout his life.

Paula
03-02-21, 06:07 PM
One of my friends posted how it was out of order that there was so much coverage about his death, and how none of the other 100,000+ people who have died from covid got talked about. But I saw the coverage as about how he lived his life, not about how he died...

Suzi
03-02-21, 06:25 PM
I agree, celebration of his achievements, his triumph over so many years...

Strugglingmum
18-02-21, 07:04 PM
NI lockdown extended to 1st April. That was today's good news. ;(
Primary 1-3 pupils returning mid March along with exam years (although no exams this year !???!) Rest of children after Easter I think.

Stella180
18-02-21, 07:16 PM
I’ve given up listening for the covid news reports now. My life involves nowhere to go and no money to go if it was an option.

Paula
18-02-21, 07:25 PM
NI lockdown extended to 1st April. That was today's good news. ;(

We’ve been asked to shield until 31 March so I can’t say I’m surprised.....

Suzi
18-02-21, 07:59 PM
Yup, shielding to 31st... I'm just hoping that they don't open things up too fast.... Announcement is coming on Monday.

Stella180
21-02-21, 02:24 AM
There is so much wrong with this story I really don’t know where to start. At least he was driving an eco friendly super car and wearing a mask while driving across several county borders to visit his father in hospital. I’m sure all the people who have lost loved ones to covid and couldn’t be with them as they took their last breath will be so glad our future king is so responsible and caring to sit and have a chinwag with the old racist.

https://apple.news/ANg_NnQzUR3GQ4aaZaaqRwQ

Strugglingmum
21-02-21, 08:59 AM
That old racist is still his much loved father.
Prince Philip is not in with Covid related illness.
The hospital website says visiting will be considered in certain circumstances. The man is 99, for all we know it could be very serious.
Patients in hospital here without Covid are allowed 1 visit per week from 1 person for 30 mins.
Sir Tom Moores family got to visit with him and he was covid.
It's hard to judge with so many unknowns.

Suzi
21-02-21, 09:26 AM
I also know that my Aunt was allowed visitors as she was dying..

Stella180
21-02-21, 10:38 AM
So is it considered essential travel? If it’s really serious why hasn’t any other family members been to see him? So many families have been kept from loved ones both in hospital and in care homes, do you think they give a toss about some privileged bloke driving from Gloucestershire to London to visit an elderly relative when they haven’t been afforded the same luxury? And what a story worthy of reporting, son visits sick father in hospital. Slow news day? Nothing else going on in the world at the moment? Oh wait...

Suzi
21-02-21, 10:45 AM
I think that actually possibly saying goodbye to someone IS essential travel. If it's not covid related then many others have that same option, so why not Charles?

Stella180
21-02-21, 10:59 AM
I read an article this week about how the head of the now defunct BDO (British Darts Organisation) drove 9 hours to collect the World championship trophy, which was seized from the winner of the last championship in 2020. Essential travel? No, because there is no more need for a trophy for a tournament that no longer exists. Their are other reasons that story annoys the hell out of me too but that’s a different topic.

Suzi
21-02-21, 11:22 AM
I think collecting a trophy is very different from potentially losing a parent...

Stella180
21-02-21, 12:36 PM
The best part of it Suzi is the trophy was collected from South Wales Police!!! Just seen the Sun has picked up the story.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14113851/bdo-boss-nine-hour-trip-world-trophy/

Suzi
21-02-21, 12:56 PM
He should have been fined and arrested there and then.

Stella180
21-02-21, 01:11 PM
Take it up with Pontipridd police. Complaints have been made by several darts fans and players so I hope they are upheld. There is also a go fund me page set up to raise funds to buy a replica trophy for Wayne Warren. Back in 2020, players also set up funding to try and make the prize pot more worthwhile for the winners after being shafted by Des Jacklin.

magie06
22-02-21, 01:26 PM
We have a family of travellers/gypsies living in the house across from us. I know for a fact that they've had at least 3 party's since the beginning of January. They've also been to every traveller funeral in Tuam since Covid started. (We have a limit of 10 family members only). It really sickens me that we are doing our best to limit our contacts, G does the shopping on his own, A is missing her friends and school, and I am beginning to lose my mind again. And there was 356 cases in the traveller community in Galway in the last 4 weeks. It's not fair.

Suzi
22-02-21, 03:07 PM
It's not fair and it's not right. I don't know what can be done to fix it though?

Stella180
22-02-21, 06:56 PM
Any thoughts on Boris’ 4 step plan? If only he had been a bit more sensible and organised this time last year me might be it a better place now. I don’t understand why a pub can serve in a beer garden but not inside for another 5 weeks, that seems a bit weird and unfair on businesses that don’t have outdoor spaces. The same for cafe owners. I know of someone who lost their cafe business during lockdown last year. They invested everything into their family run business and watched it all go to the wall through no fault of their own. He is a trained chef who has never done anything else so finding new work has been virtually impossible thus far. The impact of covid is going to last long after the country is opened back up again, for many years, maybe even decades. Life as we know it will never be the same again. I’m already aware that some companies are already talking of not renewing their office leases when they expire and having staff work remotely on a permanent basis which could potentially lead to more issues in the home. Any one expecting normality after the pandemic is under control should think again. This is just the start of a whole new way of life.

Suzi
22-02-21, 08:09 PM
I think it's because the virus spreads much less when people are outside....
I'm not convinced that Fern is going to cope with the testing.... Ben too. Both have serious issues with gag reflexes etc...

OldMike
23-02-21, 08:27 AM
Chances of infection are far higher inside where the virus can linger much longer where as outside the virus is diluted much quicker.

I can see one of the problems with testing as having a swab stuck to to back of your throat and right up your nose ain't good at all.

Paula
23-02-21, 08:45 AM
It really isn’t as bad as you’d think ;)

Suzi
23-02-21, 09:30 AM
It's not the most pleasant experience, but it's over quickly enough....