PDA

View Full Version : Hi!

Ginny
26-01-20, 10:45 PM
Hi,

itīs difficult to write the first posting, but I try:

Iīm Ginny, 40 years old and my hobbies are reading, music and my dog.

Since puberty I have to cope with anxiety and depression. Unfortunately Iīm a loner in real life, but I searched online for a forum with people who also know what it means to be depressive - and this is how I came here und now Iīm curious about you.(nod)

(English isnīt my mother tongue, so please donīt mind my faulty English!)

Suzi
26-01-20, 10:49 PM
Hi and welcome to the group!
Your English is more than fine, you aren't the only non native English speaker either so please don't worry!
You have great hobbies! What kind of dog do you have?

Ginny
26-01-20, 10:58 PM
My dog is a Jack Russell terrier. I inherited her from my mother and I love her very much.(inlove) Sheīs almost 13 years old but has the energy of a much younger dog.

Paula
26-01-20, 11:04 PM
Hi Ginny and welcome! I’m in my 40s and have struggled with anxiety and depression since my teens too - you’re not alone, hunni. What music do you like?

Ginny
26-01-20, 11:21 PM
Thanks for your welcome, Suzi and Paula!

What music do you like?

I like the pop music in the charts, but also classic music (formerly I played the piano and the flute and this is why I like classic music very much).

Angie
27-01-20, 12:29 AM
Hi and welcome

Mira
27-01-20, 05:33 AM
Hello, nice to meet you. I recently turned 40 and I have depression and I am avoident. There are lots of people here that can relate to what you are going through.

And your English is amazing.

Suzi
27-01-20, 09:25 AM
We've a fair few of us who all love music and collectively I think we cover every single genre! :)

Jaquaia
27-01-20, 11:16 AM
Hi and welcome!!! What kind of books do you like reading?

OldMike
27-01-20, 03:56 PM
Hi Ginny your English is great, there are people on DWD who understand what it is like to be a loner and riddled with depression and anxiety including me who spent 60+ years avoiding people, fortunately that has changed, at 40 you're only young and you've got plenty of time to make friends and move your life forward.

Jaquaia is one of our members who has an insatiable appetite for reading and a lot of us like various types of music, there's something about music which affects the emotions and touches the soul like nothing else.

Ginny
27-01-20, 06:27 PM
Hi Angie, Mira, Jaquaia and OldMike, thanks for your welcome, too.

What kind of books do you like reading?

I have no favorite genre or the one favorite author; I like for example Virginia Woolf, Sylvia Plath, Jane Austen and Margaret Atwood. Some weeks I only read historical novels with a strong female protagonist, sometimes I read only murder mysteries. And sometimes I need something for my heart like the "Seven Sisters"-Series by Lucinda Riley or Kate Mortonīs novels.

I used to be in a booklover online community, but itīs better not to visit such websites with approximately 150 unread books at home. So slowely but surely Iīm reading this 150 and I hope that I can visit websites about books, libraries and book stores again in three years.(giggle)

When I am in a very sad mood, Iīm not even able to read and itīs always a good sign, when I am able to read again.

Paula
27-01-20, 06:31 PM
So where are you at right now? Are you reading?

Ginny
27-01-20, 07:35 PM
Yes, after six hard weeks Iīm reading again since the weekend.

Jaquaia
27-01-20, 08:58 PM
I joined a book group on Facebook and my to read pile is now taller than me!

Suzi
27-01-20, 08:58 PM
Glad that you are reading again lovely and you've got through the last six weeks.
Do you have a good support network around you?

Ginny
28-01-20, 07:10 PM
I joined a book group on Facebook and my to read pile is now taller than me!

I know exactly what you are talking about!;)

Do you have a good support network around you?

I have a good psychiatrist who prescribes me my medicine. A few months ago I started a cognitive behavioural therapy. Our conversations are helpful, but I still have problems to turn plans into action.

Suzi
28-01-20, 08:40 PM
What about supportive friends and family?

Ginny
29-01-20, 10:21 AM
There are my best friend, my husband and my daughter (she unfortunately moved out last September because of her training).

Suzi
29-01-20, 01:11 PM
Do you find yourself able to talk to them about how you are feeling?

Paula
29-01-20, 06:06 PM
How often do you see your daughter?

Ginny
29-01-20, 09:03 PM
Do you find yourself able to talk to them about how you are feeling?

Thatīs difficult: I donīt want to burden my daughter, she was enough aware of my problems when she still lived at home. My husband and I have unfortunately drifted apart after 20 years of our relationship and we barely have serious conversations. Unhappily my best friend lives 50 km away from me, but we mail almost every day und talk about how we feel.

How often do you see your daughter?

Only twice in a month. I miss her much.

Ginny
29-01-20, 09:06 PM
I forgot my question: I canīt start a blog ("you do not have permission to access this page"), so may I start a kind of diary in "Coping with Depression"?

Suzi
29-01-20, 10:33 PM
You sound as if you are trying to deal with everything alone. That's tough. Could you try to talk to your husband?

Of course you can! Diary threads are awesome and really help in so many ways!