PDA

View Full Version : Thought I'd give it a try. *SH triggers*

Blackbird
23-01-20, 02:15 AM
How's it going, I'm quite lonely and there's very little in the way of mental health support in my area, so I thought I'd give this forum a go.

As introductions go, Mum's a narcissistic emotionally manipulative woman-child with a habit of drinking a bottle of wine each night, she got worse over the years, my dad was distant but got better when he split from my mum, guess she made him miserable too. Grew up never feeling quite right, funny thoughts and distressing feelings. Eventually sought help when I turned 18, got some meds, they were no good. Turned to alcohol and drugs to deal with this shadow whispering in my ear about how I'm no good and lack worth.

Did more harm than good as it turned out, never got addicted fortunately, but who knew mind altering chemicals could alter your mind. Tried to deal with my feelings in other ways which left nothing but a bunch of scars. I'm currently on a rehab and substance abuse support program, which hasn't helped me much admittedly. I'm awaiting a mental health assessment to see if there's anything besides depression and anxiety afflicting my frazzled, forsaken brain, am now taking new meds, the third medication they've tried.

But overall, I feel I have no support, nobody there, my cat's there, but he doesn't talk much, so yeah.

Suzi
23-01-20, 08:20 AM
Hi and welcome to DWD. Sounds like you're dealing with so much, on your own and that's so hard. Alcohol and drugs aren't going to help, although anti d's and mental health specific ones can help. Please don't give up because one hasn't helped, it's very much a trial and error situation unfortunately.
Cat's never talk back, I'm lucky my dogs do........ (rofl) Seriously though you now don't have to be alone, we're here, talk as much as you feel comfortable.

Paula
23-01-20, 09:04 AM
Hi and welcome. And well done for everything you’re doing to help yourself. Battling depression is not a straight line and there will be peaks and troughs in your recovery, but every day you keep fighting this is a day closer to being well

Just a note - I’ve added a trigger warning to your thread. It’s nothing to worry about, it’s just to ensure members can avoid the thread if they could be triggered by any of the content

Strugglingmum
23-01-20, 01:49 PM
Hi and welcome. You'll find a friendly bunch here. Well done on seeking help. I tried quite a few meds before finding the right ones. It's worth persevering although its frustrating and hard but these guys have helped me hang in there.

Angie
23-01-20, 02:41 PM
Welcome to Dwd