PDA

View Full Version : December/Xmas 2019 quiz

OldMike
16-12-19, 03:30 PM
December/Xmas 2019 quiz

Rules
1. No use of online search engines (Google etc) or online encyclopedias (Wikipedia etc)
2. One point for each correct answer (unless otherwise specified), half a point is given for inventive and humorous answers, yup make Mike titter and you get an extra half point (giggle) so guess away *Also see note at the end of the post.
3. Have fun :)

PM entries to me by New Year 2020.

1. What name is given to a circle of evergreen with five candles, of which the white one in the middle is lit on Christmas Day?
2. For Christmas to be officially recognised to be "white", how many snowflakes need to fall on the Met Office roof in London?
3. First invented in Ancient China, what did the Hallmark company popularise in the 1920's?
4. Which gemstone is purchased more during the Christmas season than at any other time of the year?
5. What are the three traditional colours of Christmas (one point each)?
6. Who in 1847, invented the first Christmas crackers (what a cracker of a question that is ;) )?
7. Which vegetable is celebrated in Mexico on the day before Christmas Eve, and has Nativity scenes carved out of them?
8. What was the name of Bob Cratchit's youngest son in "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens?
9. Which ancient civilisation cultivated the poinsettia?
10. On which date is the last of Christmas?
11. The story of the Nativity is told in which two New Testament Gospels (one point each)?
12. Which biblical character had her baby before Mary after many barren years?
13. Who sent out a decree for all citizens to return to their home town for a census?
14. To the nearest 10 miles (16km), how far did Mary & Joseph walk from Nazareth to Bethlehem?
15. Mary placed baby Jesus in a cattle trough, how is the cattle trough usually referred to?
16. Which two animals are commonly present in paintings depicting Christ's birth (one point each)?
17. What name is given to a group of angels, like those that appeared to the shepherds?
18. In which direction was the star that the wise men followed?
19. Which king did the Magi visit on the way to see Jesus?
20. What are the names of the three Wise Men (one point each)?
21. Which plant is traditionally brought in to the house on Christmas Eve as it is considered unlucky to bring it inside before that date?
22. Which fruit is the earliest known decoration for Christmas trees?
23. What decoration did Edward Johnson, assistant to Thomas Edison, invent in 1882?
24. Which creature is a common Christmas tree decoration in Poland as it is thought to have woven a blanket for baby Jesus?
25. Which sparkly decoration originally contained lead causing it to be banned?
26. What is traditionally hidden in American (US) Christmas trees as a decoration with the finder receiving a reward or good fortune for the following year?
27. Which clinging plant is often used in a Christmas wreath.
28. What is the Christmas decoration that was designed by accident when Erwin Perzy put white semolina flakes inside a glass sphere as he tried to intensify the candlepower of a so-called Schusterkugel (a water filled flask used to focus light since the Middle Ages)?
29. What spherical Christmas decoration was introduced in to Britain by Queen Victoria?
30. What plant is hung over doorways and is a sign of love and friendship?

*E&OE ie if I've omitted or got something wrong with the posted questions please pm me or post here, while I endeavor to get things right I'm only human and the typo monster can strike at any time ;)

Suzi
16-12-19, 04:56 PM
OMG A Christmas Quiz!!!! Yay! Thank you Mike! :)

Paula
16-12-19, 05:54 PM
(party) although anyone else’s is purely for entertainment, I’ve already won mwah mwah mwah

Suzi
16-12-19, 07:36 PM
Nope, I think this one is all mine!!!!!! Mwah ha ha ha ha

OldMike
31-12-19, 07:11 AM
Nope, I think this one is all mine!!!!!! Mwah ha ha ha ha

You could be right as your entry arrived on New Year's Eve Eve and is the only entry so far,

Come on Paula, Magie, Jaq, SMum, Mira and any other DWD'ers let's make this a contest :)

*I shall keep the quiz open until the weekend.

Suzi
31-12-19, 11:42 AM
No, close it now! :)

Paula
31-12-19, 05:41 PM
I’ve already told Si we’ve got to get this out today. He thinks he’s going to play with his jigsaw puzzle? Not a chance

Suzi
31-12-19, 06:19 PM
Ahh, let him play with his puzzle.....

OldMike
31-12-19, 10:58 PM
Ahh, let him play with his puzzle.....
NOOOO the puzzle can wait, I suppose with only one entry I wouldn't need to check any answers, I could also void the quiz if there's less than two entries (think)

I’ve already told Si we’ve got to get this out today. He thinks he’s going to play with his jigsaw puzzle? Not a chance
That's the right idea Paula can't have Si playing with a jigsaw when there's more important stuff to be done ;)

Suzi
01-01-20, 12:29 AM
NOOOO the puzzle can wait, I suppose with only one entry I wouldn't need to check any answers, I could also void the quiz if there's less than two entries (think)

OMG That's SOOOOOO unfair....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYucIjZlO7U

OldMike
01-01-20, 10:45 AM
(rofl) (rofl) (rofl)

Come on Paula & family your Quiz Master needs you (nod)

Paula
01-01-20, 04:56 PM
My answers are in! The quiz can be closed now (rofl)

OldMike
01-01-20, 05:46 PM
Thanks Paula and thanks SMum your answers have been gladly received we now have contest (party)

EJ
01-01-20, 06:00 PM
Will you accept my entry ?

EJ
01-01-20, 06:01 PM
I’ll send it anyway as you said until the weekend ?

Suzi
01-01-20, 06:16 PM
Absolutely send it in Elizabeth! It's all in the name of fun! :)

OldMike
01-01-20, 06:17 PM
I’ll send it anyway as you said until the weekend ?

No problem Elizabeth I'll keep the quiz open until 23:59 Sunday 5th Jan so please send your answers in :)

EJ
01-01-20, 06:30 PM
I’m all done. Thanks Mike x

Paula
01-01-20, 09:12 PM
Btw, Mike, I thought it was a fantastic quiz :)

Suzi
01-01-20, 10:27 PM
We loved it! :) Thank you lovely. We really appreciated it! :)

EJ
02-01-20, 07:01 PM
I still don’t understand it ? Is it open to everyone on the forum ?

Paula
02-01-20, 07:18 PM
Yes, it is. It was supposed to close New Year’s Day but Mike’s keeping it open til Sunday night. Hopefully I’ll have more competition (though of course my win is a foregone conclusion (giggle))

Suzi
02-01-20, 08:45 PM
Pfft Paula, I'm heading for a win this time!

Paula
04-01-20, 08:59 PM
Come on, people! I need some competition!

Suzi
04-01-20, 10:02 PM
You have competition - Elizabeth has entered as has SM I think.....

OldMike
05-01-20, 07:42 AM
I still don’t understand it ? Is it open to everyone on the forum ?

Open to everyone on the forum, I've received your entry Elizabeth :) SMUm has entered too :)

I'm wondering if anyone else is going to submit an entry (think)

Don't delay enter today :)

magie06
05-01-20, 05:22 PM
I'm just not able this time. Good luck everyone.

OldMike
05-01-20, 05:38 PM
I'm just not able this time. Good luck everyone.

Are you sure Magie I can hold the quiz open for another week if that'd help.

OldMike
13-01-20, 03:36 PM
I've just marked the quiz (need to total the results) though I need to verify the answer to a question which looks like a typo or silly auto complete so when I get a pm back off said person I'll announce the results :)

Paula
13-01-20, 05:11 PM
It’s meeeeeeeeeeeee (rofl)

Strugglingmum
13-01-20, 05:40 PM
Well I just followed the good old school theory of never leave a blank!!
Some of mine were........ inventive..... I might get extra marks!!!

Suzi
13-01-20, 06:28 PM
I think it's mine which is the winning one! :)

OldMike
13-01-20, 08:11 PM
Strugglingmum was the truly awesome winner of the 2019 Xmas quiz with a stupendous 32 points (party)(party)(party)

A big thanks to all who took part.

Suzi
13-01-20, 08:13 PM
I claim a miscount! I think you were meant to say "Suzi!".....

Pfft, Congratulations *grumble.... grumble...* SM!

EJ
13-01-20, 08:17 PM
Well done SM xx

OldMike
13-01-20, 08:21 PM
One question everyone got wrong was "3. First invented in Ancient China, what did the Hallmark company popularise in the 1920's?"

Nope not Christmas cards as most said but "wrapping paper"

Edit:
Just spotted a typo question 10 "On which date is the last of Christmas?" It should of course been the "On which date is the last day of Christmas?" the answer was 5th January though in our house we used to say the 6th.

Our Princess gets an honourable mention with her answer to question 24 "Which creature is a common Christmas tree decoration in Poland as it is thought to have woven a blanket for baby Jesus?" The answer of course is a "spider" not a sheep with knitting needles (rofl)

EJ
13-01-20, 08:33 PM
One question everyone got wrong was "3. First invented in Ancient China, what did the Hallmark company popularise in the 1920's?"

Nope not Christmas cards as most said but "wrapping paper"

Edit:
Just spotted a typo question 10 was 10. On which date is the last of Christmas? It should of course been the "On which date is the last day of Christmas?" the answer was 5th January though in our house we used to say the 6th.

Our Princess gets an honourable mention with her answer to question 24 "Which creature is a common Christmas tree decoration in Poland as it is thought to have woven a blanket for baby Jesus?" The answer of course is a "spider" not a sheep with knitting needles (rofl)

I replied ‘twelfth night’ as the last day of Christmas which it is.

Paula
13-01-20, 09:02 PM
6th is epiphany, traditionally the day when the Wise Men arrived. And the last day of Christmas (pfft)

Congratulations SM, suppose ;)

Strugglingmum
13-01-20, 09:04 PM
Takes a modest bow. (blush)

Then says yah boo to Suzi and Paula(rofl)

Paula
13-01-20, 09:11 PM
(giggle)

OldMike
15-01-20, 02:35 PM
For those who said 6th January for the 12th day of Christmas question award yourself an extra point as the answer is debatable. It still leaves super-mum SMum in the lead (party)

Suzi
15-01-20, 02:58 PM
Well done SM!

Paula
15-01-20, 06:30 PM
For those who said 6th January for the 12th day of Christmas question award yourself an extra point as the answer is debatable. It still leaves super-mum SMum in the lead (party)

Too bloody right! ;)