PDA

View Full Version : New to this website. *SU triggers*

NewMamaBear
01-10-19, 05:23 AM
So where do I start...

I have an incredible boyfriend. We met in June last year and we now have a gorgeous 5 month old son. This may sound like I have nothing to be depressed about. But in February last year I was on life support after having taken an overdose.

Looking for help and advice on how to deal with my feelings. I also want to try and help others. Whether it be listening or giving advice.

A

Jaquaia
01-10-19, 08:09 AM
Hi and welcome! I've added a trigger warning as you mention suicide. It's nothing to worry about, it's just so people can avoid your thread if it would trigger them. :)

Depression doesn't always have a reason lovely. Are you receiving counselling or taking any medication now?

There will always be someone here to listen

Suzi
01-10-19, 08:42 AM
Hi and welcome. As Jaq has said, sometimes there is no rhyme or reason for depression - sometimes there is...
Is someone monitoring your mental health after having your baby?

Paula
01-10-19, 08:53 AM
Hi and welcome. What support are you getting, from the doctors, health visitors, family and friends? Having a baby is a wonderful thing but it’s also stressful and exhausting. You’re doing great, hunni.

NewMamaBear
01-10-19, 10:48 AM
I am on medication. I think I am going to try and see a therapist. But I always shut down as soon as I try. My son and family are what keep me going.

My mum keeps an eye on me. She works at my doctors surgery. So I can go there any time. My boyfriend is also great with me. He puts up with my down days. And when I try to pick a fight.

I just don't want to feel sad. I'm so scared that I'll pass all these feelings and mental health issues onto my baby. I don't have post natal depression. There's nothing I love more than being with my baby. He's so funny and has a racking personality that makes me smile.

But I feel exhausted being happy. Like its so much hard work just to be happy and it sucks. No one should feel this way. I know what's triggered all of this. But it will sound stupid and embarrassing.

A

Angie
01-10-19, 01:15 PM
Hi and welcome to DWD x

OldMike
01-10-19, 05:15 PM
Depression doesn't always have a reason you can appear to have everything yet be crippled with depression.

Jaquaia
01-10-19, 07:37 PM
It won't sound stupid lovely.

Mira
01-10-19, 07:50 PM
Hi and welcome. One thing I have learned is that when something is important to you it is important. And if something is making you feel unhappy or anything else for that matter it is just that. That does not make anything silly or weird or stupid.

I know for a fact that here nobody will laugh or say that things are silly. There are a lot of bad places online but this here is more of a safe haven.

Paula
01-10-19, 07:51 PM
It’s a bit of a misnomer that you can’t smile or enjoy being with your family if you have depression. Each day with depression can be different. Having said that, feeling you have to pretend you’re ok all the time is exhausting and not always helpful.

Do you get enough time to be kind to yourself?

Suzi
01-10-19, 08:42 PM
Nothing will sound silly lovely. I had PND with each of my 3 babies and it affected me very differently each time. Don't discount the way that you are feeling hunni, and I promise you that you won't be passing this on to your baby at all!
Are you getting any sleep? (I know, new mum stop laughing)
What about practical help?
Are you getting any rest or "you time"?
Are you eating and drinking sensibly?
Sorry! I know it's loads of questions, but it helps if we get lots of info...