PDA

View Full Version : Newbie.

jaycee57
02-06-19, 10:06 AM
Hi, I'm new here and was looking for some other peoples experiences of my depression.
To cut it short, I had a, what was called then, nervous breakdown nearly 30 years ago. Since then, I have been on anti-depressants, yes 30years. I'm getting to an age where I am always depressed, but the GP just ups the dosage. Is it true that they can cause depression too? I can't get off them but neither am I getting any assistance.

Paula
02-06-19, 11:42 AM
Hi and welcome to DWD. No, ADs can’t cause depression. I think that myth comes from the small chance that, when a new AD is started, it can increase symptoms at first - but this passes. When was the last time you were given a different AD.? Sometimes, our bodies ‘get used’ to the particular AD we’re taking and might need a change.

What support do you have, hunni? Have you had any talking therapies?

OldMike
02-06-19, 12:13 PM
Hi Jaycee (hi), you can feel worse when you first start on anti-depressants but that passes, though as Paula said your body can get used to a particular anti-depressant. So in my opinion talk about anti-depressants causing depression are a complete myth. Talking therapies can help too.

Suzi
02-06-19, 01:22 PM
Hi and welcome to DWD! Have you got any support around you? What about talking therapies? Have you had a meds review with your GP?