PDA

View Full Version : Second opinion

seashell
15-09-18, 02:25 AM
Hey everyone,

I've been on the same medication for the past 8 years. I've still my ups and downs but my depression has never been as bad as before I got medication. I feel the medication keeps my head above water and it's up to me to keep healthy, positive thoughts. I don't feel like there's an issue with my meds but I have a co-worker that seems very concerned about my depression. She says I need to see a psychiatrist and get a real diagnosis. The treatment I did so many years ago was with a counselor and a registered nurse. I got a general diagnosis from a general practitioner that referred me to the RN to find the right med combination. With the combination of Wellbutrin and prozac, along with counseling, I made such a beautiful recovery from where I was before treatment. Since then, Ive been in and out of counseling but still take my meds every day to this day.

I notice I have been struggling more with my depression lately so I started counseling again. Counseling helps but it's slow progress. My question to all of you is, do you feel it's necessary to see a psychiatrist for a "real" diagnosis? I felt the treatment I received from the counselor and RN was outstanding but now that I'm struggling again and my co-workers intense concern, well it concerns me that maybe there is a medication better suited for me and perhaps my chemistry has changed over the years. Does anyone have any thoughts regarding this? I'm not looking for medical advice, just your opinion. I have a meeting with my counselor coming up and I plan to express all this to her as well.

Paula
15-09-18, 07:32 AM
Hi and welcome! I’m so sorry you’ve been struggling again with this - it’s hard when you know what well feels like to feel yourself slipping again ...... Hunni, I’m surprised you’ve said you had help from a nursed to find the right meds for you - only a doctor is able to prescribe medication. Definitely make an appointment with with your GP - they may or may not need to refer you to a psychiatrist but are best placed to make that call

Flo
15-09-18, 08:24 AM
Hi and welcome seashell...I'm with Paula on this. See your GP. He may refer you to a psychiatrist. Your current meds may not suit you anymore. You have nothing to lose by making an appointment.

Suzi
15-09-18, 11:37 AM
Hi and welcome.
Medication and the whole of mental health treatment has changed so much in the last 10 years that it's always a good idea to check in with your Dr - especially if you feel that there is a change with regard to how you are feeling.
Where are you based? What things are your coworkers saying which adds to your concern?