PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else on Sertraline?

CaterpillarGirl
09-08-18, 04:36 PM
Anyone else that is taking Sertraline, how lon did it take before there were side effects? I'm feeling very nauseaous, dizzy and headachy and am just trying to figure out if I'm coming down with something or if it's from the tablets, I've only taken one so far a few hours ago so figure it's too early to start noticing any side effects?

OldMike
09-08-18, 04:47 PM
I was on 50 mg sertraline for many years and couple of years ago had it upped to 100 mg, it was couple of months before I started to feel the benefit both when I initially started and when it was increased and side effects I got were severe heartburn, producing lots more pee and feeling muzzy headed. The side effects occurred very quickly so you need a couple of months to see if they suit you unless the side effects are too severe in which best to see your GP.

CaterpillarGirl
09-08-18, 05:06 PM
I think I'm just coming down with something because I've gone really cold and very very tired... Just about to start work too! If any of it is side effects though I think I can cope, the side effects will wear off eventually right?

OldMike
09-08-18, 06:16 PM
They do wear off though can take a while as we are all different.

CaterpillarGirl
09-08-18, 06:33 PM
I felt better about ten minutes after I made that last post! Don't know what's going on with me, I'm just really hungry now, time to make tea

magie06
09-08-18, 07:21 PM
I'm on it too. I started it at the end of Feb - beginning of March. I had one anti-depressant to come off too, and yes it took a while for it to take effect. The side effects didn't last too long. I'm on a 75mg dose at the moment. It is really a game changer though. The old anti-d was horrendous for making me feel hungry. This one, doesn't seem to have that side effect, in fact I've lost 18 pounds since the middle of May.
Please stick with it and give it a chance. Unfortunately, we are not medically trained, and everyone reacts differently too meds, so always take your doctors advice about changing meds and reducing doses.

CaterpillarGirl
09-08-18, 07:37 PM
I know it will take a while to have any effect, I have every intention of sticking with it took me so long to get on it! I just wondered if anyone had had side effects start so soon after taking it. I think I was just regularly hungry before, I normally have a snack before I go to work but I didn't today because I felt so sick

Suzi
09-08-18, 10:00 PM
Any negative side effects should die out within about 2 weeks..

CaterpillarGirl
10-08-18, 09:42 AM
Unsure if it's a side effect from the meds but I woke up this morning with an awful throbbing in my ear, feels like my heart is beating in there! I had a look at the side effects list and it says ears ringing and ear pain but nothing about throbbing, whatever it is it needs to stop soon, it's only been two hours and it's already driving me mad!

Paula
10-08-18, 10:36 AM
The symptoms you’ve been having - cold, tired, nauseous, dizzy, headache, earache - are all pretty random for a physical virus imo so I’d imagine they’re more likely to be side effects. Having said that, if you’re worried, call your doctor. Also, take some painkillers and rest for a day or two (panda)

OldMike
10-08-18, 08:48 PM
I can't add anything to what Paula said about side effects.

I tend not to read lists of side effects because I can start imagining I've got them, depression does that to me it picks up on something and starts whispering in my ear isn't that such and such and before long my anxiety kicks in and I've convinced myself I'm suffering from goodness knows what.

Just see how it goes and if the symptoms/side effects worsen then see your GP.

CaterpillarGirl
12-08-18, 08:37 AM
I mostly just have the tiredness and the nausea now, everything else seems to have stopped, and it's not constant so I think I can manage it. I'm a bit nervous about going to my mum's today because I keep spacing out every so often and I don't want her to notice anything because I'm really not ready to tell her yet

Paula
12-08-18, 09:33 AM
Why don’t you want to tell her?

CaterpillarGirl
12-08-18, 09:40 AM
Because I know she will worry about me and possibly blame herself

OldMike
12-08-18, 10:12 AM
You your mum will probably notice you're not quite yourself so it might be better to tell her, though I totally understand about you not wanting to worry her.

Suzi
12-08-18, 11:03 AM
Speaking from Mum's point of view.. We worry anyway ;) It's much better to tell her what's actually happening, rather than her think what could be up and her imagine something so much worse... She loves you, let her help

Paula
12-08-18, 12:04 PM
Completely agree with Mike and Suzi

CaterpillarGirl
12-08-18, 08:25 PM
I didn't tell her in the end, I did think about it because I completely understand where you guys are coming from but to be honest I'm not all that close with my mum due to some stuff from my childhood that I know but she doesn't know I know and it makes things kind of difficult. I would say she didn't notice anything anyway but she's not the sort that would come out and say it if she did, I think she may have some anxiety herself

Suzi
12-08-18, 08:31 PM
Fair enough lovely....

CaterpillarGirl
13-08-18, 11:08 AM
I'm still feeling really nauseous, it's making it difficult to get things done, gets worse at night so I'm not sleeping well at the moment... Can't wait for the tablets to kick in properly and do their thing!

Suzi
13-08-18, 11:23 AM
Are you eating with them? Remind me, how long have you been on them?

CaterpillarGirl
13-08-18, 11:24 AM
Only since Thursday, I take one in the morning when I wake up and then go straight downstairs for breakfast

Suzi
13-08-18, 11:26 AM
Can you try eating something with it? Maybe a digestive biscuit or something?

CaterpillarGirl
13-08-18, 11:30 AM
I'll give it a go tomorrow

Suzi
13-08-18, 04:31 PM
It's worth a go?

Apart from that, how are you feeling?

CaterpillarGirl
13-08-18, 04:46 PM
Tired, but relieved things are finally getting sorted, forgot to call the counselling though and I have to go to work now. Thanks for asking :)

CaterpillarGirl
13-08-18, 08:23 PM
I'm feeling so incredibly irritable right now, I lost my temper with L which I've been trying really hard not to do, so now I feel like crap! In my defense she did keep putting her feet on my after I asked her nicely not to do numerous times and reminded her that these tablets will make me worse before they make me better... Still makes me feel crappy though, I hate losing my temper like that :(

Paula
13-08-18, 08:40 PM
You’re human, lovely, these things happen. I told my daughter she was self absorbed the other night - she’s not, she’s a very caring, selfless young woman - but I was stressed and she got the brunt of it. L will be fine, she loves you and knows you love her

Suzi
13-08-18, 10:07 PM
I lost my temper the other day and shouted at the kids too and they didn't deserve it either - so I had to apologise. It's totally understandable lovely.... Apologise if you feel you need to - I find ice cream or chocolate works well and a hug ;)