PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Drew
19-06-18, 08:30 PM
Hi,

This is my first post and I’d like to instroduce myself.

My name is Drew and having after 40 years or more I’ve been confronted by my long term depression. I was one of the ‘proud men’ who could not admit to what he thought was mental weakness and decided putting on a brave face and a fake smile was the best way to deal with problems.

For the first time a major life changing event has made me realise I need and have needed help for some time. I have begun the long journey towards self respect and although I’m far from sure I’ll make it but admitting my problems feels like a major step forward.

There is only one bit of advice I can give from my experience - if you are suffering from depression/anxiety don’t pretend it will go away - deal with it by asking for help. If I’d have taken my advice when I was younger I would not be in the frightening place I am now.

Thanks for reading my post. It has been a cathartic experience for me to admit my problems publicly but most of all to myself. I have challenged myself to find or do one positive thing improve my self worth every day - if you’d care to join me it may help us both.

Drew
19-06-18, 08:39 PM
Apologies for typos. If posts can be edited after they have been submitted could someone let me know how please.

Jaquaia
19-06-18, 08:55 PM
Hi and welcome. Don't worry about typos too much. I believe that newbies don't gain the edit facility til they reach a set number of posts but if they both you I can edit them for you.

Paula
19-06-18, 09:39 PM
Hi Drew and welcome (hi)

Drew
19-06-18, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome it’s much appreciated. As a newbie I’m looking for any advice/coping strategies so please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Jaquaia
20-06-18, 08:28 AM
The first thing we recommend is always speaking to your gp, they can prescribe medication and have access to talking therapies.

Distraction is another thing a lot of us use, have a read through this...
www.dealingwithdepression.co.uk/showthread.php?249-Distraction-Techniques

I personally read, or knit or do diamond pictures, it all depends on my concentration level that day. It's finding something that works for you.

Suzi
20-06-18, 08:43 AM
Hi and welcome to DWD. As has been said, talking to your GP is the best way to access any help via the NHS. Admitting you have issues is so hard, so that's a hugely positive thing you've done.
Do you have a good support network around you?

Paula
20-06-18, 10:09 AM
Have you had any counselling to help deal with the triggering event?

OldMike
20-06-18, 10:18 AM
Hi Drew for years I knew something was wrong but not what and it was only when things worsened considerably that I went to my doctors and like you said if I'd known then what I know now I'd have sought help earlier. I'm glad you found DWD it's a very friendly place.

Drew
20-06-18, 11:21 AM
No counselling at the moment other than opening up to a crisis team. From what I’ve been told it may be some time before I get to see a counsellor face to face. . I think I can handle the trigger event as it was the result of me not seeking help many years ago. My problem are great sadness that my lack of action impacted on others and fear of a long, lonely and miserable future.

Drew
20-06-18, 11:36 AM
I think I’m doing quite well for support - I’m getting a visit once a day from a Crisis Team assessor and I had a visit yesterday from one of the team’s psychiatrists to assess me for medication. The daily meetings have resulted in referrals for other support (occupational health etc.) and my brother calls me regularly for a catch up.

The one thing that concerns me is what happens when the initial hubbub dies down and I have to start facing up to things. All I can do is manage problems as they arise and call for help if it becomes too much.

magie06
20-06-18, 11:37 AM
If your service is anything like what we have here (I live in Ireland), they won't cut back or discharge you until you are good and ready.

Suzi
20-06-18, 02:41 PM
That's great support atm! What did the psych suggest?

Drew
20-06-18, 07:54 PM
He decided I needed Sertraline and Zopiclone for the next three weeks followed by a review. My daily assessment will continue (I guess until they’re happy I won’t self harm).

I’ve self referred for therapy but will have to wait for a few weeks until I get a telephone ‘triage’ interview to decide the therapy best suited for me.

Suzi
20-06-18, 08:53 PM
When do you start the meds?
Glad you've still got support in place..

Paula
20-06-18, 10:31 PM
I’m so glad you’re being looked after so well

Drew
21-06-18, 10:07 AM
I’ve only been on the antidepressant for two days and I’m aware it will take some time to see the benefit. I haven’t started the sleeping pills becauseI need to check whether there are any issues with recently diagnosed sleep apnoea.

Suzi
21-06-18, 01:54 PM
The anti d will take anywhere from 4 - 8 weeks to be fully in your system, but you should be free of any horrible side effects by the end of 2 weeks. Definitely double check the sleeping medication and the apnoea - always better to be safe rather than sorry..