PDA

View Full Version : top 5 authors DOA you would love to meet

Jarre
10-06-18, 11:03 AM
Many of us like reading, I have had the privilidge of meeting some of my favourite authors Peter F Hamilton and Micheal Palin but others I would have loved to meet have sadly passed on or never come near my local to book signings. So who would be your top 5 dead or alive authors?

My top five not counting the 2 above.

Arthur C Clarke
David Sedaris
Ben Bova
HG wells
Isaac Asimov

Jaquaia
10-06-18, 11:11 AM
Trudi Canavan
Rachel Morgan
Maria V. Snyder
J.K. Rowling
Rachel Caine

Suzi
10-06-18, 11:25 AM
J K Rowling obv
Stephanie Mayer
AA Milne
Douglas Adams
Stephen King - to slap him round the face for disappointing me with his more recent novels esp Under the dome. He appears to no longer be able to write endings.

Paula
10-06-18, 12:11 PM
Suzi, I watched the tv adaptation of Under the Dome and was bitterly disappointed at how it was left

Mine are:

Rachel Caine
Jane Austen
Jean M Auel
Sara Douglass
Taran Mattharu

magie06
10-06-18, 01:58 PM
Mine are real chic lit writers but here they are:
Marion Keys
Sheila O'Flannaign
Emma Hannigan
Maeve Binchy

Suzi
10-06-18, 03:12 PM
Suzi, I watched the tv adaptation of Under the Dome and was bitterly disappointed at how it was left
The main bit of the book was brilliant - really gripping, really great, but the ending was just so bad! It was worse than "and then they woke up and discovered it was a dream.."
I was so disappointed that I haven't read any since and I've read nearly all of his!

magie06
10-06-18, 04:52 PM
I've just thought of my 5th one and I don't know how I forgot her in the first place:-
Cathy Kelly

Jaquaia
10-06-18, 05:56 PM
The main bit of the book was brilliant - really gripping, really great, but the ending was just so bad! It was worse than "and then they woke up and discovered it was a dream.."
I was so disappointed that I haven't read any since and I've read nearly all of his!

Have you read The Dark Tower series? I've had them for years and not got around to them yet.

Flo
10-06-18, 06:31 PM
I think mine would have to be....
John Grisham
Lucy Whitehouse
Maeve Binchy
Ernest Hemingway
Nevil Shute

purplefan
10-06-18, 07:32 PM
When I was doing research for our East end walks I bumped into David icke and we had a fascinating if surreal hour long chat about the illuminate and how the Royal families are a connected by various bloodlines. Fascinating stuff.
I would also like to meet patricia Cornwall and Donald rumbalow

Suzi
10-06-18, 10:15 PM
Have you read The Dark Tower series? I've had them for years and not got around to them yet.
Nope, I haven't read those ones yet... I've got several.... but now I'm so disillusioned I just don't know if I can bring myself to read them yet...

Jaquaia
10-06-18, 10:18 PM
I got one for my 18th birthday which tells you how long they've been sat there...

Suzi
10-06-18, 10:32 PM
I don't know why, I just can't bring myself to start them...

Jaquaia
10-06-18, 10:47 PM
I definitely prefer his older novels to the new ones. Though I enjoyed 'Doctor Sleep'

Suzi
11-06-18, 08:44 AM
I've got a copy, but haven't read it until I knew someone else could reassure me the end wasn't crap - was it?

Jaquaia
11-06-18, 08:47 AM
If I'm honest, I can't really remember the end...

Suzi
11-06-18, 08:50 AM
Cool.....

purplefan
12-06-18, 06:59 AM
I watched a movie called the dark tower.
There was Not a single character in the film I could connect with.
It was dull as dish water.

Jaquaia
12-06-18, 07:42 AM
It's based on the book purple.