PDA

View Full Version : DWD Book Club?

Suzi
03-05-18, 09:53 AM
Anyone fancy resurrecting the DWD book club?

Jaquaia
03-05-18, 09:57 AM
It involves books....I'm there!!!

Suzi
03-05-18, 10:05 AM
Woohoo!
We used to have one years ago. We picked a book - something easy to start with and then we had some time to read it and then we had a thread running where we could/would talk about it..
It would mean that we picked different books/authors which was really cool..

Paula
03-05-18, 10:06 AM
I’m in!

smelly_steph
03-05-18, 10:16 AM
I guess it would depend on what we read.

I'm in if the books are interesting!

Paula
03-05-18, 10:22 AM
I’d guess, knowing our lot, there’ll be something to suit everyone :)

smelly_steph
03-05-18, 10:28 AM
well as long as it's not fantasy, or stuff written years and years ago impossible to understand, I guess I'm good

Jaquaia
03-05-18, 10:41 AM
It's not something you'd have to join in with every week if you weren't interested in the books chosen. And I'm sure we'd choose books the majority agree on :)

OldMike
03-05-18, 11:12 AM
Interesting idea even though I rarely read books (apart from Readers Digest) these days I'll dive in if the fancy takes me.

smelly_steph
03-05-18, 02:11 PM
Jaquaia, I think it will be interesting to see how the book club chooses their book (will the person running choose, will we get to vote on a few, etc)

maybe a good idea would be a diffrent theme each time- so romance one time, then fantasy, etc

Jaquaia
03-05-18, 02:19 PM
It will be interesting to see why books are chosen too. A lot of the time I read purely because I love the written word; it doesn't matter what genre it is.

Exept 50 Shades... that's where I draw the line!!!

Suzi
03-05-18, 03:33 PM
My plan with it was that you joined in if you fancy it, no pressure, but fun if you did. I thought we'd do a mix of novels and maybe people could try something they haven't read before!
Does anyone have any that they would love to share with the group?

Paula
03-05-18, 05:08 PM
Room by Emma Donaghue. Initially, I resisted reading this because I knew it was being made into a film and I thought it was going to be yet another flimsy novel that was only ‘good’ because it was on the silver screen. Anyway, in another book club, it was the first book thrown into the mix.

The book is narrated by Jack, a 5 year old who has been confined to one room with his mother his whole life. Jack believes that this one room is the entire world and that everything else only exists on television.

Despite the narrator being a child, which is always difficult to pull off as a writer, she’s definitely pulled it off. Jack is naive and innocent, struggles to communicate and understand reality, yet I felt that I was living the journey this story takes you on, with him.

It’s brilliant and, I suspect, will become a true classic

Jaquaia
03-05-18, 05:10 PM
YES!!!!! Absolutely awesome book! I couldn't put it down.

Suzi
03-05-18, 06:59 PM
Sounds like a good idea for a starting point... Anyone in? I'll have to get a copy from my library ;)

smelly_steph
04-05-18, 11:42 AM
this book sounds a good one, something I'd be interested in.

I was going to suggest before I die by jenny downham, about a girl who has cancer trying to forfill her wishes before it's too late

somewhere along the line she falls in love, and that makes things a lot more complicated

the book is narated by her too. first hand account.,.

Suzi
04-05-18, 12:49 PM
We can go with that one another week if you fancy?

Paula
05-05-18, 11:48 AM
It’s just occurred to me that some parts of Room could be triggering for some. It’s implied, not overt, as a 5 year old narrates, and it’s not what he says rather what he’s not picking up itms?

Jaq, can you help me narrow down what I’m tryjng to say without spoilers? (think)

Jaquaia
05-05-18, 12:16 PM
The events that happen while he's confined to the room are hinted at, rather innocently from a childs understanding, but it's obvious what is happening, which i think makes it all the more harrowing.

The description off amazon...

Jack is five. He lives with his Ma. They live in a single, locked room. They don't have the key.

Jack and Ma are prisoners.

Room by Emma Donoghue is an extraordinarily powerful story of a mother and child kept in isolation, and the desire for, and price of, freedom.

Paula
22-06-18, 11:08 PM
I just wanted to check whether we’ve got any more members who have read Room or plan to, and who’d like to join in on the discussion?

If not, and you’d all like to move on to another book, does anyone have any suggestions on what we could look at next?

OldMike
23-06-18, 08:18 AM
I just wanted to check whether we’ve got any more members who have read Room or plan to, and who’d like to join in on the discussion?

If not, and you’d all like to move on to another book, does anyone have any suggestions on what we could look at next?

I've stalled on page 70 in Room not picked it up for over a week.

Suzi
23-06-18, 04:32 PM
I'm currently reading Cogheart and it's a beautiful story - but teenage based lol http://www.peterbunzl.com/cogheart/

What kind of book do we all fancy?

Paula
23-06-18, 05:51 PM
Teenaged based is fine, Harry Potter is teenage based ...

OldMike
23-06-18, 06:11 PM
I'm reading Room and whereas I like the way it is written I'm not liking where it seems to be heading (can't say anymore else it'd be a spoiler).

Jaquaia
23-06-18, 06:35 PM
I've just finished 'Midnight Bites' by Rachel Caine. Still annoyed that I can't find my copy of Room!!!

A lot of the teenage based books are excellent reads!

Suzi
23-06-18, 08:12 PM
Woohoo! I love teenage fiction as well as other stuff too! Sometimes it's nice to have an easy fantasy read.

As an aside - years ago I was told to try Terry Pratchet and just couldn't get into the discworld book I was handed - should I try again?

Jaquaia
23-06-18, 08:15 PM
I really enjoy Terry Pratchett and even got my brother reading him. What did you try?

Suzi
23-06-18, 08:17 PM
Erm it was one of the discworld ones, but not the first one - bar that I can't even remember it was that long ago...

Paula
23-06-18, 11:09 PM
I like Terry Pratchett. It’s completely wacky ;)

Jaquaia
23-06-18, 11:14 PM
I've only got a handful but I love what I've read so far.

Suzi
24-06-18, 09:39 AM
Well I shall try again! (After I've read this one and the sequel!)

CaterpillarGirl
20-07-18, 09:26 AM
Are you guys still doing this? I've always wanted to join a book club, I started going to one once a few years ago with a friend of mine but she didn't like it and my anxiety stopped me going by myself

Paula
20-07-18, 09:28 AM
Lol we started off so well, then ‘life’ got in the way ;). I’d absolutely love to continue - do you have any suggestions re the next book we should do?

CaterpillarGirl
20-07-18, 09:30 AM
Ah, life has a habit of doing that! As for book suggestions, not sure off the top of my head but I'm open to anything, I love reading and I'll read pretty much any type of book

Suzi
20-07-18, 09:45 AM
Yes I'd love to carry it on too!

magie06
20-07-18, 02:22 PM
Count me in. I'm devouring books at the moment. Reading about 3 a week! Big achievement for me to get back to reading like this.

Suzi
20-07-18, 08:54 PM
Anyone got a suggestion for one?

Paula
20-07-18, 09:06 PM
I chose the last one ;)

Suzi
20-07-18, 09:48 PM
OK.. Can I suggest Cogheart? (Just cox I'm reading it atm and have a connection to the author!) It's a young adult book but I'm loving it.... No problem if people don't fancy it..

Paula
21-07-18, 07:59 AM
That looks good :). I love YA books!

Suzi
21-07-18, 10:59 AM
Link for anyone interested: http://www.peterbunzl.com/cogheart/
I'm loving it so much that I also own the sequel it's really captured me!

OldMike
21-07-18, 11:18 AM
Was reading Room but didn't like where the story was heading, I've ordered a copy of Cogheart it may suit me better.

Paula
21-07-18, 11:52 AM
Was reading Room but didn't like where the story was heading, I've ordered a copy of Cogheart it may suit me better.

In what way, Mike?

OldMike
21-07-18, 12:02 PM
In what way, Mike?

I can't really say without giving a spoiler.

Paula
21-07-18, 12:05 PM
there you go - spoiler away ;)

http://www.dealingwithdepression.co.uk/showthread.php?16168-Week-1-%91Room%92-discussion-group-**SPOILERS**

OldMike
21-07-18, 12:30 PM
Paula I've replied on that thread :)

Mira
01-10-19, 07:59 PM
Is it ok to ask a book question here? Well I am doing it anyway haha......

When I am going to hospital I am going to take a book or two with me. I want to get into biographies and books of those sorts. Do you all have some suggestions? I know some of you read books like I play videogames :)

Jaquaia
01-10-19, 08:08 PM
What interests you?

Harry Greggs autobiography is very good. My friend wrote a book about growing up in Manchester in the 50s. His memories of the Busby Babes are like it happened yesterday. It's called Forever a Babe. That is a brilliant read and I'm not saying that just because he's my friend. Headscarf Revolutionaries by Brian Lavery is brilliant too. It tells the story of a group of fishermans wives who led a campaign for tighter safety laws on deep sea fishing trawlers.

Mira
01-10-19, 08:19 PM
Well those all seem great. It combines history and sports. Those are two things that interest me. And science etc. I did see I can get those books on amazon. But then they wont be here in time. But I will add them to my list. Thanks for the suggestions.

Suzi
01-10-19, 09:09 PM
Do you have a library? Could you borrow the books from there to start with?

First Light by Geoffrey Wellum is amazing - and he stayed in the guest house Marc's nan ran whilst he wrote it.

Mira
01-10-19, 09:59 PM
I will look it up.

I am a member of the library. But I never go there. I tend to buy books more. But I do pay my membership to support the library. Maybe if I am in a better place later on I could go there. Now I am to troubled to bother the people there.

Suzi
01-10-19, 10:02 PM
Trust me you'll never be a bother to a librarian asking about books!

Go with a list of titles and then you can choose how much you interact with anyone. It's in your control!

Mira
01-10-19, 10:08 PM
I know. But for someone that does not even go to the butchers anymore because there are people there I might wait a little with the library :)

But if I feel better that is what I will do.

Suzi
02-10-19, 07:54 AM
It's always worth walking in and then walking out, then next time walk in - look at a book and walk out and build it up like that..

Paula
17-10-19, 02:55 PM
I’m reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society for he first time. I can’t believe it’s taken me this long to pick it up! It’s heartwarming and heartbreaking all at once and has straight away gone into my Top 10 of all time

Suzi
17-10-19, 05:25 PM
Not heard of it...

Angie
17-10-19, 05:26 PM
Me neither

Paula
17-10-19, 06:21 PM
Really beautiful, set in post WWII guernsey - once the islands were liberated from the nazis

Angie
17-10-19, 06:55 PM
Might have a look for that when get paid x

Jaquaia
17-10-19, 06:59 PM
I'm still on Mansfield Park but approaching the end now

Angie
17-10-19, 07:00 PM
I'm currently reading a Danielle Steel - Accident