PDA

View Full Version : Generosity

UncleChip
25-04-18, 04:22 PM
I don't know why, but whenever I'm generous bad things seem to happen, either to myself or to the person receiving my aid.

It happened again today; after my job interview (which went quite well, but no decision yet) I decided to pick up a fish sandwich. I was feeling happier than usual and the sandwiches were quite cheap, so I bought 2 in an attempt to reward myself.

Outside I noticed a homeless person, and after taking a minute to reconsider my initial decision to just walk past and eat everything on the train, I walked back and gave her one of the sandwiches, which she seemed to be quite greatful for.
Moments after I left, I heard a man shouting about a sandwich - when I turned to look back, what appeared to be an angry homeless man was running towards her.
Like the coward I am, I turned back to face where I was going and left them to it.

If I hadn't done anything, I'd have the guilt of not sharing when I had more than enough to spare.
Now I have the guilt of making someone angry with someone else and possibly causing a fight. I hope she's OK.

smelly_steph
25-04-18, 04:46 PM
I wish you well with the job decision- what sort of job is it?

you did a good thing giving up your sandwich. their needs to be more people like you in the world (genirosity is so hard to find)

one question

fish?. in a sandwich?

really?

OldMike
25-04-18, 05:19 PM
Yep Steph it could be tuna, salmon, sardine, mackerel or even fish fingers :)

You did a good thing there Tony giving a sandwich to that woman, you can't be held responsible for others action and as for not intervening in the dispute over the sandwich it was probably a wise decision, best not to put yourself in danger.

Suzi
25-04-18, 07:11 PM
You did a kind thing. It isn't your fault if someone else reacted negatively.

UncleChip
25-04-18, 08:12 PM
It was a fish finger, lettuce and tare tare sauce sandwich. Not sure if I spelled tare tare correctly, but it doesn't flag up a spelling mistake so it might be right.

The job was for a web programmer with a leaflet / cardboard display printing company. I seemed to do quite well, and they were interested in some skills I have which weren't on the original job spec. So I think I have a decent chance.

Suzi
25-04-18, 10:47 PM
Good luck.

smelly_steph
26-04-18, 11:08 AM
well mike..... I guess if it works for some people!

I can't imagine eating a fish sandwich- the thought almost freaks me out.

magie06
26-04-18, 04:48 PM
Here we put anything and everything into sandwiches. A favourite here is a crisp sandwich. The most popular brand of crisp here is Tayto, so a Tayto sandwich is a norm for a lot of people. Otherwise, fish fingers would be another norm, a burger with curry sauce over the meat part is another strange one I saw.

Paula
26-04-18, 06:17 PM
Chip butty, with butter. Nothing like it :)

Jaquaia
26-04-18, 06:34 PM
Mmmmm....chip butty. Fancy a fish finger and ketchup sarnie now too. Or ready salted crisps and salad cream.

S deleted
26-04-18, 06:48 PM
Fish finger sarnie with lashings of ketchup is the ultimate comfort food. Accompanied by a chip buttie (plenty of salt and vinegar) and I’m in heaven. Ketchup counts as one of your 5 a day right? Side order of mushy peas makes 2.

Jaquaia
26-04-18, 07:00 PM
Only if they're batchelors. Hate chippy mushy peas!

Flo
26-04-18, 07:36 PM
Fish finger sarnie with lashings of ketchup is the ultimate comfort food. Accompanied by a chip buttie (plenty of salt and vinegar) and I’m in heaven. Ketchup counts as one of your 5 a day right? Side order of mushy peas makes 2.

Large soft bap with sliced cold butter ( not enough on it if it's spreadable) chips with salt pepper and vinegar with a very large dollop of full fat mayo!!...better than sex!!...lasts longer too!!

Jaquaia
26-04-18, 07:38 PM
Large soft bap with sliced cold butter ( not enough on it if it's spreadable) chips with salt pepper and vinegar with a very large dollop of full fat mayo!!...better than sex!!...lasts longer too!!

That all depends on the sex you're having (angel)

Suzi
26-04-18, 08:28 PM
(rofl)(rofl)(rofl)

Flo
27-04-18, 07:41 AM
That all depends on the sex you're having (angel)

Thank you Claire Rayner!!!....(rofl) I had too much when I was younger! I'm trying to avoid a hip replacement! But I'll never be sick of chip butties!

S deleted
27-04-18, 08:40 AM
I think I rather have a chip butty too

OldMike
27-04-18, 10:33 AM
Thank you Claire Rayner!!!....(rofl) I had too much when I was younger! I'm trying to avoid a hip replacement! But I'll never be sick of chip butties!

Boasting again (giggle) I believe it's not much fun anyway ;) gimme a rhubarb crumble and a jug of custard any day.

Suzi
27-04-18, 12:40 PM
(rofl)(rofl)(rofl)