PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum

DLT67
18-02-18, 10:33 PM
Hi there I'm a 37 year old male from Glasgow and I was diagnosed with depression in my late twenties combined with high anxiety however I believe I've had all my life certainly since my school days

I've recently started filming YouTube videos to try and help with it tho I'm a painfully shy person in social situations

I hope to make some new friends and develop a network were we can help each other

Thanks

H

Paula
18-02-18, 11:45 PM
Hi and welcome

DLT67
18-02-18, 11:50 PM
Thanks Paula

S deleted
18-02-18, 11:57 PM
Welcome to DWD

Suzi
19-02-18, 11:02 AM
Hi and welcome. Do you find the youtube videos help?

TiffanyyO
19-02-18, 03:21 PM
(hi) hey and welcome, you will love it here! amazing people and so much support

DLT67
19-02-18, 10:59 PM
They refocus my mind on something other than feeling down about being out of work or than I'm letting my family down you know

You can check them out if you like
@youtube.com\ronno6788

DLT67
19-02-18, 11:00 PM
Thanks Tiffany��

Paula
19-02-18, 11:27 PM
Hey! You’re not letting anyone down. You wouldn’t say that if you’d broken your leg ...

Suzi
20-02-18, 10:57 AM
You definitely aren't letting anyone down. Your videos are great - how many guitars have you got? How long have you been playing for?

TiffanyyO
20-02-18, 03:24 PM
anytime!! ♥

Angie
20-02-18, 06:45 PM
Hi and welcome to DWD

DLT67
20-02-18, 11:28 PM
Thanks I've got two guitars and been playing almost 15 years

Suzi
21-02-18, 10:06 AM
How are you feeling atm?

DLT67
21-02-18, 08:28 PM
Over the past week or so I've been really weepy and finding it hard to cope with things life just seems to be getting on top of me you know

I'm really glad I you d this forum as it feels almost like even in this era ppl still don't understand mental health and how it can destroy your life and relationships

Suzi
21-02-18, 10:13 PM
(bear) When did you last see your Dr? Were you honest about your mh?

Paula
21-02-18, 11:33 PM
Can you make an appointment with your doctor tomorrow?

DLT67
22-02-18, 10:50 PM
Tried the doctors a few year ago but they just fling antidepressants at ye and tried counselling but didn't think that helped they only thing that helps really is my music and my videos

Paula
22-02-18, 10:52 PM
Hunni, they offer ADs because they work .... there are other forms of treatment and support eg CBT, have you talked to anyone about other options?

DLT67
22-02-18, 11:16 PM
Yeah talked about a lot of options and honestly I find that getting lost in the music makes me feel a whole lot better however I do appreciate everyone's help on here and I look forward to continued support from the fantastic ppl I've already spoke to in the short time I've been on here so thank you

Suzi
23-02-18, 11:08 AM
Music is something that helps loads of people, but it's not going to get deep to the real reasons why you are struggling in the first place.

DLT67
23-02-18, 09:35 PM
I find what causes me to breakdown the most is losing my temper with my family cos their innocent parties who don't deserve it

I know if I could find a job where I could work a goods few year my mood would improve enormously but I appreciate what your saying Suzi and thank you

The main crux of the problem is I was bullied at school pretty much from day one it wasn't physical abuse it was always to mess with my mentally and emotionally and I have never recovered from that

S deleted
23-02-18, 09:54 PM
I find that getting lost in the music makes me feel a whole lot better

I can totally relate to this. Being submerged in music is the best possible way to get through but I also know that even with the passion I have for music there are times when I simply can’t tolerate it and it seems like nothing but noise. Depression does that, saps all the joy out of everything and leaves you feeling empty inside to the point where life seems pointless and you just can’t function. One of things that helps me to keep going is medication. It doesn’t cure me and it took many years and different meds til I found a combo that worked for me. I still have bad days but it allows me to function on a daily basis but meds on there own aren’t the answer. I’ve tried CBT, counselling, confidence courses, support groups etc. Not everything works for everyone but I found that parts of these things were helpful and put them into my toolbox for future use to get me through. My advice is not to limit yourself to what treatments you go for. Try everything, maybe more that once cos eventually things will start to click into place and you can develop your own way of coping with the various tools you picked up along the way.

Suzi
23-02-18, 10:37 PM
Stella is right. Music is amazing and it's got me through the best of times and the worst of times - but there have been times when it's not enough and no substitute for professional help..

DLT67
28-02-18, 10:00 PM
I see what your all saying however if I couldn't play guitar I'd be in a much worse position than I am now that's what I believe anyway.

Compared with the drugs and the counseling music has gave me a better way to deal with my mental health and I'll continue to play my music for as long as I can

Paula
28-02-18, 10:07 PM
We all have our own ways to cope, so fair enough. I just hope you just bear in mind what we’ve said and don’t dismiss alternative treatments

Suzi
28-02-18, 10:18 PM
I'm glad that music helps you. I know that I struggle massively without music - playing/listening/singing etc, but I also know that it's not going to be able to get to the root of my issues and certainly isn't going to cure my medical issues... If it works for you then that's brilliant.

DLT67
01-03-18, 10:58 PM
Not only do I understand I'm incredibly humbled that you take time out your days to talk to me its brilliant and I appreciate all you've said so far

From the bottom of my heart thank you

Suzi
02-03-18, 10:26 AM
You're more than welcome x