PDA

View Full Version : Running off a cliff *potential SU trigger*

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Pen
28-05-18, 09:58 PM
Did you enjoy your time in the studio?

Yes I did. It was nice to be making something that was not cows or sheep!

How are you feeling lovely?

Not too bad. Hubby came over this evening and we got the map out. I was looking for good walks and he was looking for somewhere he could go fishing (rofl)

Suzi
28-05-18, 10:18 PM
Hope you are able to squeeze in some rest time too lovely!

Pen
29-05-18, 06:12 PM
Well the holiday had a bit of a setback this morning when the company called to say the accommodation I had booked has been flooded.
They have found us something else but it's further away from exmoor so my plans for long walks on the moors are dashed. It's on a site we went to about 12 years ago and it's lovely with lots of wildlife, local walks and to keep hubby happy.... FISHING. I am a little disappointed as I had plans for exmoor but maybe it will work out better this way as I won't have to worry about keeping hubby entertained. Even so I do feel rather flat at the moment.
The lodge has no wifi either so internet free for a week. I may have to find a local costa or macdonalds!!

Suzi
29-05-18, 06:44 PM
You can still do the walks lovely, just maybe not on Exmoor..

Paula
29-05-18, 06:51 PM
What a shame but what a relief you weren’t already there

Pen
29-05-18, 08:45 PM
True. I know we will have a lovely time but irrationally I feel less enthusiastic for this break now.

Suzi
29-05-18, 09:28 PM
Can you find some other things in the area to look forward to instead of the moors?

OldMike
29-05-18, 10:41 PM
Keeping off the internet for a week may be a good thing, you've got lots of local walks and wildlife to look at, I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Pen
30-05-18, 08:49 AM
Can you find some other things in the area to look forward to instead of the moors?

Yes. I know we will have a good time it's just that I was looking forward to getting the head space I found last year again.

Suzi
30-05-18, 02:31 PM
I can totally understand that..

Pen
01-06-18, 09:17 PM
Well we have run the last class for two weeks. Trying to get the garden straight before I go on Monday

Suzi
01-06-18, 10:25 PM
Hooray! That's awesome. Are you all packed and ready?

Pen
01-06-18, 11:49 PM
Nope. Not done anything yet(rofl)

Suzi
02-06-18, 11:07 AM
Is hubby still going with you?

Pen
02-06-18, 11:17 AM
Yes, he is looking forward to it. It does mean I have to take less art materials as we need room for his fishing gear. Been organising the washing this morning. I seem to be missing a lot of knickers....
I have a list of 12 things to do in the house today to get it ready to leave with H and A. I hate housework!!!

Suzi
02-06-18, 11:23 AM
12 things? Are they quick and easy tasks?

magie06
02-06-18, 12:28 PM
Take things easy. I'm sure those tasks will get done in time.

OldMike
02-06-18, 12:52 PM
Yes, he is looking forward to it. It does mean I have to take less art materials as we need room for his fishing gear. Been organising the washing this morning. I seem to be missing a lot of knickers....
I have a list of 12 things to do in the house today to get it ready to leave with H and A. I hate housework!!!

Don't tell me someone's nicked your knickers (giggle)

I'm sure you'll breeze through the 12 things Pen.

Pen
02-06-18, 02:48 PM
Mike I am starting to wonder!!!
Suzi they are things like vacuum the stairs, change the bed, clean the car tests and so on.

Paula
02-06-18, 07:41 PM
Sorted?

Pen
02-06-18, 09:17 PM
Yes done them all and found my knickers!
Spent a couple of hours in the garden and I know I have overdone it as I feel like I am going to burst into tears. However I still need to persuade Mr Tiggs to come home and I need to clear up the kitchen. H has gone to bed early and A had I migraine so I am feeling sorry for myself at the moment.

Suzi
02-06-18, 10:02 PM
Is it your day to do the kitchen? I would have thought A could hang around to help. Does he do much to help out at all?

Pen
02-06-18, 10:19 PM
It was my day yesterday I have not seen A this eve so done the cleaning. I am a bit annoyed as they tend to sit on their computers all day and turn a blind eye to the cleaning.

magie06
02-06-18, 11:01 PM
After your lovely break, you will need to address that.

Pen
03-06-18, 09:54 AM
Yes.
Packing day.
Hubby dropped in to ask if I would like to go to the car boot with him. I have too much to do!

Suzi
03-06-18, 12:14 PM
It does seem that you do so much of it as well as running your business....
When are you off?

magie06
03-06-18, 04:21 PM
Is it tomorrow that you head away? Have a brilliant time and don't forget to buy us all a stick of rock!! Lol

Pen
03-06-18, 05:32 PM
Heading off about 11 tomorrow

Suzi
03-06-18, 08:47 PM
Have a brilliant time, just in case you don't get chance to pop on in the morning!
Rest, do art, walk and rest.....

Pen
03-06-18, 09:13 PM
Yes. I have packed 4 books to read, various drawing pads, charcoals, ink, brushes and my sewing. I have bought a new comfy camping chair so I can just sit by the lakes and chill.

Suzi
03-06-18, 09:32 PM
That sounds heavenly!

Paula
03-06-18, 10:49 PM
Have a wonderful time!

Pen
04-06-18, 10:10 AM
Thank you everyone

Suzi
04-06-18, 10:25 AM
Have fun lovely!!

OldMike
04-06-18, 10:49 AM
Have a fantabulous holiday Pen :)

Pen
11-06-18, 09:19 AM
Yay I'm back.

OldMike
11-06-18, 09:34 AM
Yay I'm back.

Welcome back, hope you had a great time :)

Suzi
11-06-18, 01:23 PM
Are you feeling any more relaxed? Did you have a lovely time?

Angie
11-06-18, 04:01 PM
Good to see you and hop you have had a good time

Pen
11-06-18, 10:07 PM
Yes I had a lovely relaxing break although I have come back with a smashed thumb and blisters! Most of the week was spent sitting by the lakes in the wood sewing, reading or drawing.
Back to it with vengeance today though when I saw the state of my bank account I had a fit. I will need to make some changes to the business.

Suzi
12-06-18, 07:51 AM
Smashed thumb? Tell all...
What's up with the business account?

Pen
12-06-18, 05:44 PM
I won't bore you with the whole story but I tried to climb down a pile of boulders and put my hand on one to steady myself and it tipped and crushed my thumb.
The problem with the accounts is the old story that my income is less than my spending!

Suzi
12-06-18, 09:57 PM
Ouch! Your poor thumb! How's it healing?

Can you make the accounts balance?

Pen
12-06-18, 10:40 PM
The thumb is not so sore however waiting for the nail to come off.
I think I can balance the accounts but I think the disabled group may have to go and be replaced with a proper group.

Paula
13-06-18, 10:51 AM
That’s a shame but you have to prioritise your own well being - and that includes financial.

I’m so glad you had a relaxing holiday. Did hubby enjoy himself? Have you got any pics we can see?

Suzi
13-06-18, 12:19 PM
It is a shame about the disabled group, but you have to be able to keep yourself ticking over...

Pen
13-06-18, 01:18 PM
That’s a shame but you have to prioritise your own well being - and that includes financial.

I’m so glad you had a relaxing holiday. Did hubby enjoy himself? Have you got any pics we can see?

Yes Hubby and Ember had a great time. I did not take many pics I'm afraid.

Suzi
13-06-18, 02:05 PM
Did you get much painting done?

Pen
13-06-18, 05:08 PM
Did you get much painting done?

I did a little but it was not good. Best used for firelighting I think.

Suzi
13-06-18, 08:24 PM
I bet that's not the case! I bet they are much better than you think they are!

OldMike
14-06-18, 10:26 AM
I agree with Suzi I bet you're paintings are far better than you think they are.

Pen
14-06-18, 10:39 AM
(rofl) on this occasion I can assure you they are not. However they were good practice at painting in a monochrome with black ink and I may be able to use them as sketches towards anot her painting.

I think this quote is appropriate. I never lose, either I win or I learn.

Going to see J today to discuss the future of the disabled group.

Suzi
14-06-18, 12:00 PM
Hope it goes well.

magie06
14-06-18, 03:38 PM
Fingers crossed.

Angie
14-06-18, 08:55 PM
Hope its gone ok hun

Pen
14-06-18, 10:38 PM
Yes it went fine. She was ok about it all. It will be nice to have her just as a friend rather than an employee.

Pen
14-06-18, 10:41 PM
Feeling a bit rocky tonight. I don't know if the lack of routine or just the worry about the huge amount of work I have to sort out before the classes restart. I have orders for 45 cows now on top of getting the garden straight ready for the charity garden party next week and finishing off a number of pieces I want to go over to a local gift shop.

Paula
14-06-18, 10:42 PM
How much are H and A helping at the moment?

Suzi
15-06-18, 09:35 AM
Sweetheart can you write a list of everything in order of priority - things that you must do, then want to do at the end? Anything that can wait or that can be delegated...

Pen
15-06-18, 02:52 PM
I have a list and am working through it however as fast as I cross things off new things appear. H and A have gone away so it's just me, a dog, four dcats, loads of tropical fish and giant African land snails this weekend.

Pen
15-06-18, 02:54 PM
Just come back from visiting my old college's end of year exhibition. It gave me a real lift. I bumped into someone who used to come to my art classes and off the back of my class decided to do the course at the college.

Paula
15-06-18, 03:15 PM
So you inspired them. That’s really cool :)

Suzi
15-06-18, 07:02 PM
That's awesome! See, we keep telling you that you're an inspiration! :)

Pen
15-06-18, 07:24 PM
I had a little chat with my old tutor. He has suggested I approach a gallery near Andover to sell my stuff. On line it looks promising.

Paula
15-06-18, 07:51 PM
Does he know you’re struggling to deal with the work you’ve already got?

Pen
15-06-18, 08:02 PM
Does he know you’re struggling to deal with the work you’ve already got?

Not of course not. It's the first time I have spoken to him for 2 years (rofl) I am looking for another outlet though.

Suzi
15-06-18, 09:10 PM
Why are you looking for another outlet when you are struggling with your workload already?

Pen
15-06-18, 10:06 PM
Why are you looking for another outlet when you are struggling with your workload already?

Cause I want to make enough money to live...

Paula
15-06-18, 11:32 PM
Then if you do this, you have to find other ways of managing everything - whether that’s properly delegating round the house or with the groups (and making sure people do the jobs they’re tasked with), or getting a cleaner etc

Suzi
16-06-18, 10:37 AM
I agree with Paula..
Can you make any adjustments to your budgeting to make things easier?
I know you like to be busy, but more often than not you're doing most of it on your own (apart from the classes one of your friends run) and doing housework too. Sweetheart no one could do all of that and get things ready for groups, deal with the kiln, plant plants etc You are awesome, but you are only human love...

OldMike
16-06-18, 12:48 PM
How about raising the prices of your classes and items, have you compared your prices with other places/items, you've probably looked in to this so just a thought.

Pen
16-06-18, 05:19 PM
It is something I plan to do as well as asking people to pay on a per term basis.

Apparently things are not cool between me and J... We had a lovely chat on Thursday but she showed up this afternoon when the rest of the crew were over and said she had an announcement to make, that she was leaving and not coming back. She came to collect her stuff. She will not be taking the disabled group which was going to run till September and so I will have to call everyone and say that the group is no more without being able to give them warning. I am quite upset by it all

Suzi
16-06-18, 06:20 PM
Do you know why she's changed her mind?

Do you know anyone else who would be prepared to take it? Is it "just" this class that she was taking?
So who do you have as staff now and what are their responsibilities?

Pen
16-06-18, 07:32 PM
Do you know why she's changed her mind?

Do you know anyone else who would be prepared to take it? Is it "just" this class that she was taking?
So who do you have as staff now and what are their responsibilities?

No idea why she has done this. I have no one else who can take a group during the day. She was just taking this class now. It feels a bit like she has cut off her nose to spite her face as I know she has very little money coming in from elsewhere and I would have thought a small guaranteed income for the next 8 weeks was better than nothing.
I have Max who will take 4 of my classes. Arty does some cleaning and H and A do bits and pieces

Paula
16-06-18, 09:23 PM
Then your focus has to be on what classes you are able to cover and your pricing structures so that you are actually being paid what you’re worth. . What’s done is done - hard as it is - and you need to look forward

Suzi
16-06-18, 10:25 PM
I agree with Paula. No point running any classes at a loss - I assume you're paying Max for taking the classes?
Also paying termly or half termly is common with everything else, so why not with you too? That way if only 1 person turns up then you've still made the same money itms?

Pen
17-06-18, 08:04 PM
Yes I pay Max.
Finally finished planting the garden. Hubby has been repainting my garden bench and gate. I left it to him to choose the colour and he has done them in bright purple! Not usually a colour he would choose but I am loving it. However he only got half way along the fence before he ran out so I hope he had a chance to finish it before our charity garden party next Sunday

Suzi
17-06-18, 08:11 PM
I love purple!
Your charity event sounds lovely!

Pen
19-06-18, 09:04 AM
Right back to work today!
If I hide under the duvet do you think they will find me? (think)

OldMike
19-06-18, 09:27 AM
Charity garden parties are fun I went to one up the road here last year and had a really good time.

Suzi
19-06-18, 09:49 AM
Hope it's an easy day lovely x

Pen
25-06-18, 09:44 PM
The garden party went well. We raised just over £400. It was an air show in weston on Sunday and of course the football so although I would have liked more people I think we did ok.

Suzi
25-06-18, 10:03 PM
Wow! That's awesome! Well done Pen! Hope you've had some time to catch your breath now? The photos look lovely!

Pen
26-06-18, 03:42 PM
Thank you. I still feel like the earth is moving faster than I am. Had a letter yesterday about Tax Credits they want me to pay back £2000. Bit of a shocker still have my tax bill of £900 to find so I have to find 3k from somewhere.(sweat)

Suzi
26-06-18, 04:24 PM
What happened? How on earth did they overpay so much?
Can you arrange a payment plan?

Pen
26-06-18, 06:04 PM
Don't know. I think the mistake came from me making more than I expected. I will be getting my brother in law's money in a few days and I will ask the kids if I can borrow some of it for a few months

Suzi
26-06-18, 10:10 PM
At least you have a plan - although they should accept a payment plan too..

Paula
27-06-18, 09:50 AM
I can understand why you’d want to just pay it off and get rid of it but it may be worth considering a payment plan.

Pen
27-06-18, 10:50 PM
Hubby has said I can have his share to pay it off.
A and I went to our local outlet with a load of bits this morning. Sold £85 of stock that has been kicking around for a bit. However he wants more of the garden birds I had made which I sold to him for £3 each. I am planning ways to increase productivity or I will be making quite a loss! I am planning to have a go tomorrow at making an owl and a robin on the wheel. A goldfinch could be a bit much of a challenge though!

Suzi
27-06-18, 10:54 PM
Isn't £3 each far too cheap to be selling them for?
Glad you've sorted the tax bill lovely...
Are you getting any rest at all?

Paula
27-06-18, 11:29 PM
Like most sole traders, you’re undervaluing yourself, your skill and your time. Please rethink your pricing, hunni

OldMike
28-06-18, 08:28 AM
Isn't £3 each far too cheap to be selling them for?
Glad you've sorted the tax bill lovely...
Are you getting any rest at all?

I agree with Suzi £3 is way too cheap (birds cheep get it) what with VAT there's scarcely any profit if at all.

Pen
02-07-18, 09:12 AM
Mike I love that you think my turnover is high enough that I have to pay vat (rofl). The owls I can make on the wheel really easily and they are quick to glaze so he can have those for £3. Not mastered a Robin yet but I think it can be done. I will be making moulds for the other birds but he will have to pay more for them.
Very tired at the moment. Been sleeping with my window open and the traffic wakes me at 5.30 am. I plan to have a rest day today and take my admin down to Costa.
My new workshop is arriving Wednesday and the guys are arriving to put it up on Thursday.
My BIL's money has arrived so need to pay it inow and then sort out who gets what. It seems there was more money than we thought and H has agreed to let me and Hubby have a cut. It may pay for me to have a few days away in the autumn in London visiting galleries.

Suzi
02-07-18, 10:08 AM
New workshop?
I can't believe you're taking a rest day without being nagged about it!

Pen
02-07-18, 10:51 AM
New workshop?
I can't believe you're taking a rest day without being nagged about it!

Well large shed. I going to have somewhere I can go to make things without having to spend time trying to find where other people have moved my tools and worrying about my stuff getting knocked by customers. It's only a 6 by 10 shed. It has been suggested we call it the cow shed! A is going to insulate it, fit it out and paint it. Really excited!

OldMike
02-07-18, 11:14 AM
The cow shed (giggle) I think the "potting shed" would be better suited ;)

Suzi
02-07-18, 02:27 PM
Potting shed, love it!

That does sound exciting! What colour are you painting it?

Pen
02-07-18, 02:40 PM
Pale grey with cuprinol purple plum highlights (door frame, eves etc.) White inside.

Paula
02-07-18, 03:41 PM
Sounds pretty - and I like Potting Shed too ;)

Pen
02-07-18, 04:04 PM
Sounds pretty - and I like Potting Shed too ;)

It was my first choice but others like the cow shed.

Suzi
02-07-18, 04:40 PM
Awww You should have what you want!

Pen
03-07-18, 12:16 PM
Well I don't know what to call it, but it's arriving tomorrow and I am very excited. Been looking at cooling and heating systems for it lol

Paula
03-07-18, 01:27 PM
How are you doing at the moment, hunni?

Pen
03-07-18, 03:31 PM
Tbh just getting by. Been taking the lorazapan more than I have for a while. I think I see this new shed as a sort of sanctuary that I can hide in.

Suzi
03-07-18, 03:58 PM
I can understand that... (panda)

Paula
03-07-18, 08:23 PM
Your space that you don’t have to share?

Pen
03-07-18, 10:21 PM
Your space that you don’t have to share?

Yes. Although I may have to let A in to help with cow making. But no customers. I hope A realises that he will get no peace until he has fitted out the inside.

Suzi
04-07-18, 08:13 AM
Good! You deserve to have somewhere away from customers!

OldMike
04-07-18, 09:02 AM
Yes Pen the shed is your sanctuary and access is by invitation only, sounds like a real good idea.

Pen
04-07-18, 10:25 AM
So "Pen's Play Pen" for a name(rofl)

Pen
04-07-18, 10:27 AM
It's arrived. And in true English fashion I am having a cup of tea to celebrate.

OldMike
04-07-18, 10:37 AM
So "Pen's Play Pen" for a name(rofl)

I like it and it is alliterative too ;)

Suzi
04-07-18, 10:49 AM
Woohoo! I'm excited for you!

Pen
06-07-18, 12:28 PM
We have started painting the outsude. Waiting on A to start fitting the insulation, it's really hot though so I think he plans to do it later on.
I have classes every day for the next 10 days. I am trying to decide if I can risk a rest day.

I have decided that it will be named just The Workshop. But I am going to make a plaque with "Quae Figuli Fabrica" in it.

Paula
06-07-18, 02:01 PM
What does that mean? ;)

I suspect it’s a risk not to have a rest day ....

Pen
06-07-18, 03:45 PM
(rofl)(rofl) it means The potter's workshop
Yes I decided it was a risk as well so been painting the workshop. I think I may have 5 kids turning up for a class in half an hour. Not sure though...

Suzi
06-07-18, 04:07 PM
I think Paula meant it was a risk to your mh not to have a rest day....

What colour are you painting it?

Pen
06-07-18, 05:41 PM
I think Paula meant it was a risk to your mh not to have a rest day....

What colour are you painting it?
Ah no I decided it was a risk to have one. Lol.
We are painting it a colour called muted clay. It's a sort of 0ale grey colour. Then we are painting the door, eves and windows purple pansy which is a bold purple colour. It's looking good.
4 kids turned up for the class. I was quite happy running it so I will carry on with it.

Suzi
06-07-18, 10:21 PM
Sounds fabulous all round!

Pen
07-07-18, 10:19 AM
I am worn out today. Will try and rest but I will need to go shopping at some point.

Suzi
07-07-18, 11:09 AM
Can you try to pace a bit lovely?

Pen
07-07-18, 12:03 PM
I am exhausted today. Just had a nap as I am do worn out mentally. Max and H are taking the classes today so I can rest.

Suzi
07-07-18, 04:59 PM
Glad you are resting....

Pen
07-07-18, 05:42 PM
Been asleep or catatonic for most of the day. Tried to do my cross stitch but I have run out of thread which is annoying as it's an expensive kit and I am careful with my thread.
I am taking H to her mil in a bit and will treat myself to a MacDonald 's and pick up my meds on the back. Then I will have to start a new kit
(sweat)

Paula
07-07-18, 06:15 PM
It’s infuriating when there’s not enough thread :@

OldMike
07-07-18, 07:12 PM
That is so annoying I've had that problem when sewing on a button when the length of cotton is just too short, see I'm an expert (giggle)

Suzi
07-07-18, 08:16 PM
Hope you've sorted the thread issues...

Pen
07-07-18, 11:09 PM
Hope you've sorted the thread issues...

I have emailed then will have to wait and see.

Suzi
08-07-18, 11:06 AM
How are you feeling today?

Pen
08-07-18, 12:16 PM
How are you feeling today?

Bad. I am very low on spoons today. I need to take a nap but at the same time I need to get everything ready for the party at 2 today. Just having lunch in the hope it might give me some energy. After the party arty wants me to help move furnature to set up her art space.

Suzi
08-07-18, 12:39 PM
Can you call in reinforcements to help today?

Pen
08-07-18, 05:03 PM
Can you call in reinforcements to help today?

I always get get someone to help at these parties. I had a new person today hopefully I have not out her off, we had nine people and it was a bit full on!

Suzi
08-07-18, 10:23 PM
I'm sure they enjoyed it though! Hope you're resting tonight....

Pen
09-07-18, 09:02 PM
OMG. Smaller party tonight but the 5 of them were more work than the 9 we had last night!
Feeling a bit tearful tonight. They had fun but it was hard work as they would not do what we told them and things kept going wrong which we had to fix for them.

OldMike
09-07-18, 10:13 PM
I suppose that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes groups are a treat to teach and follow your instructions, others think they know better and like to do things their own way resulting in chaos, good thing is they had fun which is far better than teaching a group of moaning so and so's.

Did you have help with the smaller (if more difficult) group Pen?

Suzi
09-07-18, 10:22 PM
Sorry it was tough lovely.. Hope you are able to rest tonight. What've you got on tomorrow?

Pen
09-07-18, 11:46 PM
H has ordered me to take the rest of the afternoon and evening off tomorrow after the afternoon class.

Suzi
10-07-18, 09:45 AM
That's good that she's making you rest and pace a bit.... How's she doing atm?

Pen
10-07-18, 09:59 AM
She seems to be doing OK at the minute.

Suzi
10-07-18, 10:04 AM
That's brilliant!

Paula
10-07-18, 10:25 AM
H has ordered me to take the rest of the afternoon and evening off tomorrow after the afternoon class.

Good to hear :)

Pen
10-07-18, 09:49 PM
I hate this ongoing heat. It's making me tearful. Although I stayed out the studio there was still lots to be done today. Dad has gone on holiday so I had to go down and tend his plants. His flat needs a deep clean as well. I would like to do it but I think it will be too much for me in this weather.
Put up some pictures on my Facebook page of my pocket pets. I want to find a retail outlet for them so I am going to make a "pet pen" for them and see if a local shop might buy them.

Suzi
11-07-18, 02:06 PM
The heat is horrible for me too...
Sweetheart you seem to be struggling again with pacing? Did it all have to be done in one day?

Pen
11-07-18, 02:19 PM
Well what a day it has been so far. Electricians are here wiring the workshop, the bin men came up to the studio to collect the bin (I had not put it on the kerbside ) and a TV company dropped by to talk about filming in the studio.... I may need to order more lorazapan to cope with the excitement! (whew)
Oh and it's the companies 3rd birthday today ...

Suzi
11-07-18, 02:29 PM
3rd birthday already? Wow!
Filming in the studio? What are they filming?

Pen
11-07-18, 04:19 PM
Yes the time has flown by.
They will be filming next Wednesday morning. After it has happened I will tell you all about it but I don't want to jinx it before then.

Suzi
11-07-18, 08:53 PM
Sounds exciting!

Pen
15-07-18, 09:31 PM
Having a giant meltdown tonight....

Suzi
15-07-18, 10:31 PM
Can you distract? Can you call the duty crisis team if you need them? Does anyone else know you're struggling?

Pen
15-07-18, 10:42 PM
Gone to bed with my digital jigsaw and my meds. I am just so anxious tonight about everything. Especially money. My bil 's money is keeping my account in credit but take that away and I am overdrawn. I looked at the accounts on Saturday and the company is losing money every month at the moment. I have laid off Max but don't know how I will cope with the holiday groups and parties if I have to go back to working alone.

Suzi
16-07-18, 07:54 AM
You know what you're doing with the accounts. Where are you loosing that money? Do the classes cover their own costs?

Paula
16-07-18, 08:28 AM
So, your bil’s money is helping. I know that’s not ideal but that does give you some space to work out how to change the situation. What’s the basic issue then - not enough customers? Costs too high? Not charging enough?

Pen
16-07-18, 08:31 AM
Customer numbers have been erratic, wages have been escalating I need to get my head round it.

Suzi
16-07-18, 08:43 AM
Are you not charging up front for lessons? You can't survive on an ad hoc basis surely?

Pen
16-07-18, 10:06 AM
No I have never charged up front for the classes.

Paula
16-07-18, 10:47 AM
Then maybe you need to think about it

Pen
16-07-18, 12:07 PM
I am. I have written a letter to go to everyone but it's sorting the details at the moment.

Suzi
16-07-18, 02:46 PM
If your classes aren't covering the costs and aren't making any profit then it's just never going to be workable... You're a smart businesswoman lovely, but you aren't thinking with your head on this one...

Pen
17-07-18, 09:54 AM
I know but at the moment my head is just full 9f preparations for tomorrow.

Suzi
17-07-18, 03:12 PM
Is that the funeral? I hope it goes as well as it can do...

Pen
17-07-18, 04:24 PM
Who's funeral? If you mean my bil we cremated him before Christmas! No I mean the film crew coming to film at the studio.

Suzi
17-07-18, 08:18 PM
Of course! Sorry getting muddled with too many people! Sorry! :)

Hope it goes well tomorrow lovely x

Pen
18-07-18, 11:12 AM
All done. Channel 4 were filming for a show called Coast verses country. The house hunters had expressed an interest in learning pottery so they thought filming them on the wheel would be good fun.

Paula
18-07-18, 11:44 AM
How did it go?

Suzi
18-07-18, 12:50 PM
That sounds brilliant exposure for you! Did you enjoy it?

Pen
18-07-18, 12:50 PM
How did it go?

Really well :-)

Pen
18-07-18, 02:38 PM
That sounds brilliant exposure for you! Did you enjoy it?

Yes I did, the presenter was scrumptious.... He can show me round houses anytime!!!

Suzi
18-07-18, 05:43 PM
So glad it went well, will you be on screen?

Pen
18-07-18, 06:36 PM
So glad it went well, will you be on screen?

Yes possibly I was filmed a lot but it will come down to the editing, however having said that the presenter did as me questions which were filmed so we will have to wait and see. I really don't want to see myself on TV. I am sure I will look awful

Paula
18-07-18, 06:38 PM
I doubt that very much - you always look lovely in your photos

OldMike
18-07-18, 09:07 PM
You'll look great I've seen pics of you on FB plus a local video you did Humans of Weston #32 - Interview with Penny you looked brilliant and oozed confidence.

Pen
19-07-18, 08:32 AM
I was glad to get to bed last night. My head is racing away with ideas of things to make at the moment. Not enough hours in the day. Another cow order came in last night, I just think I might be able to get ahead with the cows and another order comes in! I am trying to pace (honestly ) by writing a list every day of what to do that day to try and stop myself from going off track and making little animals.

Suzi
19-07-18, 08:54 AM
You really do have so many pots on the stove right now. Can you focus on priorities? Can you train H+A to help make the animals?

Pen
19-07-18, 09:33 AM
If I train A and H I would have to pay them, something I can't afford to do at the moment.

Pen
19-07-18, 12:42 PM
After yesterday I am just so tired. I have already had a 20 minutes nap before taking Dad out but now I am back I am ready for another one!

Suzi
19-07-18, 08:55 PM
The thing is lovely, there's only a certain amount of hours in the day and you and I both know that you running full steam all of the time only ever leads to your health heading to crisis.... Maybe you can't afford not to train them?

Paula
19-07-18, 09:04 PM
Pen, lovely, you’ve got two options, as I see it. You either reduce the amount of work you do or get help- whatever form that help takes. You’re overstretched and that never leads to anything good .....

Pen
19-07-18, 10:25 PM
I know but I am on a high at the moment and feel like I can conquer the world single handed. This afternoon I set a new personal best and made 6 cows, including 3 with butterflies in their noses, in under 2 hours. (Previously I was making at a rate of 25 minutes a cow). I sold two owls to Texas and glazed my pocket pet adoption centre whilst running a class. I find it difficult to imagine a crash may come when I am like this.

Suzi
20-07-18, 08:47 AM
But you know it will...... Please, please, please try to pace

Paula
20-07-18, 09:05 AM
I find it difficult to imagine a crash may come when I am like this.

And yet your most recent crash was just a couple of months ago. If that had been a couple of years ago, then maybe you could afford to be more complacent but it wasn’t, so you can’t. Sweetie, you have to start being honest with yourself

Pen
20-07-18, 04:21 PM
After the class in a minute I will feed my plants then put my feet up. I think I just don't understand this concept of pacing.

Paula
20-07-18, 06:37 PM
Lol, I dont think you do either, which is why we nag ;)

Pen
20-07-18, 07:33 PM
After I have eaten a sandwich I think I may do some housework

Suzi
20-07-18, 09:16 PM
How about eat and rest?

Pen
20-07-18, 10:14 PM
I had a sandwich. I had to clean my bedroom floor. The dog hair was thick and the cats had peed on my rug and I needed to do something about the smell. H is suffering with depression again so may be taking tomorrow's classes on my own.

Paula
21-07-18, 07:46 AM
Is H getting any treatment?

Suzi
21-07-18, 10:57 AM
Is there a particular trigger for her mood crashing?

Pen
21-07-18, 05:41 PM
Is H getting any treatment?

No. She won't go and see anyone. I think it was triggered by A. She does seem to be pulling out of it a bit now.
I am doing my own dinner tonight but have nothing in I can make. So trying to decide between a peanut butter and jam sandwich or getting into my hot car and fighting through lots of hot kids and frustrated parents to get a macdonalds. I think sandwich is winning at the moment. It's what I had for dinner last night after all.

Paula
21-07-18, 05:42 PM
You really are not so good at self care, are you? You need to eat properly ......

Why won’t H get help?

Pen
21-07-18, 06:01 PM
I don't know why maybe because her downs only last a few days.
I am just not hungry. I can't think of anything that I want to eat.

I am going to a friends house tomorrow to have a meet up. My anxiety is running riot and I don't want to go really.

I don't think they really want me to go.

Paula
21-07-18, 09:13 PM
Why don’t you think they want you to go?

Pen
21-07-18, 09:50 PM
They will have a better time if I am not there. H has said I have two choices, go to the meeting up or go with her and A to a invertebrate show and look at spiders, cockroachs and gaint snails. I think the meet up seems a better option somehow.

Suzi
21-07-18, 10:55 PM
Definitely the meetup! :)

Can we urge you to put your own self care as important for a while? Why are you only eating sandwiches?

Pen
21-07-18, 11:08 PM
Sandwiches and hummus and crisps are the only thing I can face preparing and eating at the moment. Plus I don't see the problem. It's food so fulfils the requirements.

Paula
22-07-18, 08:48 AM
It’s not a balanced diet and is also not enough to eat - particularly as you’re always on the go. What else did you eat yesterday?

OldMike
22-07-18, 09:00 AM
^^^ What Paula says

Sandwiches are okay but you need a more varied and balanced diet.

Suzi
22-07-18, 10:02 AM
Fruit? Veg? Protein? Sweetheart you need to eat better, sleep and rest more - no one can keep on as you are lovely...

magie06
22-07-18, 01:43 PM
Sorry but crap in, crap out. You can't function unless you get the right nutrition's.

Pen
22-07-18, 04:48 PM
Crikey... Mass nagging!
Suzi I did have carrot sticks and nuts and raisins as well.
Been to meet the girls. It was ok they didn't stay long and left me and arty with the cream and strawberry cake.
I popped into Lidl on my way hoping to pick up something for dinner but could not find anything. I notice H has bought some eggs though so I might have a omelette later once the cake has worn off

Suzi
22-07-18, 04:54 PM
Yes, mass nagging - it's because we all care...
I'm sure they did have stuff.......

Pen
22-07-18, 07:08 PM
I know but I just can't face cooking and eating.

Paula
22-07-18, 07:10 PM
Then get something like precooked chicken, microwave rice and pre prepared salad. Quick, simple and nutritious. There are options other than a sandwich, hunni

Pen
22-07-18, 07:39 PM
I'm vegetarian so the thought of cooked dead bird does nothing for my appetite.

Paula
22-07-18, 08:32 PM
Ok. That was just an idea, not a recipe. I’m sure there’s lots of other nutritious things you could eat that won’t take more than a few minutes to prepare. My point is still the same - you need to eat properly else you will crash, physically and mentally

Angie
22-07-18, 08:42 PM
There are plenty of things that you can make a quick sandwich with that is healthy, cheese salad is quick and easy for instance, all Paula was doing was giving an example nothing more,

Pen
22-07-18, 09:28 PM
I know. I'm sorry I did not mean to sound so offensive.

Hubby cooked me poached egg on toast. He brought me a sculpture he had made. He has never made me anything like that before. I was delighted.

Suzi
22-07-18, 10:41 PM
Hey I'm vegan and my daughters are veggie so I can point you in the direction of some great ideas.. What kind of things do you like and what things can you not eat and I'll try to come up with some suggestions if you fancy?

Pen
03-08-18, 07:20 PM
Sorry I havery not been around for a bit been busy as usual. I have been working on a few new ranges. Pocket animals, Owls and chickens. I have an order for all of the owls I have made so far. They will be off to Scotland next week along with 15 cows and 5 croft trinket dishes. The pocket animals are split into pocket pets, pocket safari and pocket donkeys. I need to make some pocket motors as well to appeal more to the boys.
Along side this I have taken over running all the classes as I just can't afford to pay anyone to do them.
The new workshop is coming along. A has insulated and boarded out the shed. We have painted it inside and out. Put in new double walled windows and laid the vinultimate on the floor. We have also started to build the frame for the new work bench. I still need to put the legs on and paint the top. We have 5 sets of shelves arriving tomorrow for in there as well. Tonight after I water the garden is may just get to work on my cross stitch.
Oh and H has quit drinking. It's been hell for her as she went cold turkey but 6 days on A and I have our fingers crossed that the worst is over.

Paula
03-08-18, 08:20 PM
That’s amazing! Well done H :)

Suzi
03-08-18, 09:49 PM
Well done H! That's seriously tough!
You sound so busy as always love, when are you making time to rest?

Pen
03-08-18, 10:02 PM
There does not seem to be time to rest at all this week. However I have no classes on Sunday so hope to have a break then.

Suzi
03-08-18, 10:08 PM
Do you need each of the classes or could you streamline it a bit to give yourself time to focus on your work and get some downtime?

Pen
04-08-18, 08:54 PM
Unfortunately I need all those classes. I have started giving out letters to people explaining that I am changing how I charge. Today's group was ok about it. Hopefully the rest will be too. Had another cow order in so made another 8 today. I need 10 more at least for the order so I will be working tomorrow as well now. I am also very keen to finish setting up the workshop so did manage to prime the workbench but will be gloss painting it tomorrow. I have then to attach the legs and put up 5 sets of shelves plus a 6th one under the window. I could go and finight priming that one tonight but feeling a bit tired.

Suzi
04-08-18, 10:59 PM
Sweetheart you need to find some time to rest...
How are you changing your pricing?

Pen
05-08-18, 06:40 AM
I have told people that they have two options. They can pay the same price as now but have to pay for the whole term or they can book as and when they want to come at a higher price but have to pay in advance of the session and I can't guarantee a place for them.
Today I am going to get the dog out then make another 5 cows and load and fire the kiln. Then I will prime the shelf. After that I will go shopping (H and A are away next week so I am cooking my own meals). After that it will probably be too hot to work on the workshop so will put my feet up for a few hours

Paula
05-08-18, 08:02 AM
That pricing sounds fair. Please, please put your feet up when you get the chance today

Pen
05-08-18, 11:05 AM
5 cows made. Dog walked and kiln fired.
Too hot to paint so off to do the shopping.
I should be able to rest this afternoon.

Suzi
05-08-18, 11:28 AM
That change in pricing is really sensible...

Paula
05-08-18, 02:09 PM
So, are you resting?

Pen
05-08-18, 02:54 PM
I have just for in and unpacked the shopping. Now resting

Suzi
05-08-18, 10:27 PM
Hope you're still resting!

Paula
06-08-18, 11:47 AM
What’s this week looking like?

Pen
07-08-18, 11:02 PM
What’s this week looking like?

Busy. Yesterday finished off my workbench, cleaned the mastic off the windows, constructed 5 sets of shelves, loaded the kiln, made 3 cows, invoiced several customers. Today packed and posted 15 cows, 5 owls and 5 trinket bowls, ran two classes, sorted out 4 boxes of recycling, 2 wheely bins and a green wheely, unloaded a kiln, loaded a kiln, put up a shelf, done a load of washing, made a cow.
Now so tired I can hardly stand

Paula
07-08-18, 11:28 PM
So. Does that mean you’re going to take it a little easier tomorrow??

Pen
08-08-18, 07:43 AM
I might spend more time sitting down... taking Dad out, unloading and loading the kiln, clear glazing a mountain of kids work, meeting at friend for coffee, sorting out what I need to buy from my supplier, making cows, doing my washing and running a class.

Suzi
08-08-18, 10:05 AM
Are you getting any help with any of that?

Pen
08-08-18, 04:11 PM
Are you getting any help with any of that?

Nope. H and A are in the Isle of Wight

Suzi
08-08-18, 09:27 PM
Then does it all really need to be done now? Can some of it not wait a bit?

Pen
08-08-18, 10:55 PM
No. Not really

Paula
08-08-18, 11:42 PM
Really? Cos looking at it from the outside, things like cleaning mastic off Windows, constructing shelves etc are exactly the sort of things you didn’t need to be adding to your todo list on a week when you’ve no help......

Pen
09-08-18, 08:15 AM
Lol. Yes put like that.
Anyway that's all done now. I was desperate to get into the new workshop as soon as possible and yesterday I was able to start making cows in there. It was lovely to be working in a space that was all mI need.

Suzi
09-08-18, 10:08 AM
I'm glad, but honestly love you have to learn to pace and to be kind to yourself.

Pen
10-08-18, 08:06 AM
I do pace it's just my pace is a run. When there is so much that needs to be done I can't just sit around.

Suzi
10-08-18, 08:48 AM
I just worry that whilst you are running at full steam you aren't taking much care of you....

Pen
10-08-18, 09:45 AM
I think i do. I shower, I have a walk every day, I wash my clothes, I take my meds I try to eat properly (most of the time).
When I was getting benefits it was easier to be able to stop and rest, now I don't get anything (and actually had to pay back 2k) I have to work harder to pay the bills.

Paula
10-08-18, 10:29 AM
Keeping clean, fed and medicated is only the very basics of taking care of you. You should be giving yourself time to relax, to rest, to be with loved ones, to socialise, even, maybe, to treat yourself. Self care is not just about doing what you need to keep your body going, it’s also about what you need to keep your mind and soul alive itms

Suzi
10-08-18, 10:42 PM
No one can work 24 hours a day for 7 days a week. We aren't built that way...

Pen
11-08-18, 08:32 AM
I looked at my bank balance last night. Not conducive to taking it easy!

Suzi
11-08-18, 12:05 PM
But maybe pacing better would mean you could work more evenly, rather than a boom and bust/manic and crash way you've been recently?

Pen
11-08-18, 09:51 PM
But I don't know how to pace. I really don't know what that means.
To me pacing is writing a list of what has to be done and working through it and when it's finished in can sit down for a bit.
When I was a kid we were never allowed to just sit around. We were expected to have something to do all the time. My mother never never stopped doing things. Even in the evening she would spin, weave, knit, make jewellery.
She had a saying that she drummed into me. "Don't kill time, work it to death "
I always feel guilty if I can see that there are jobs to be done but I have my feet up. As a child if I was sick my mother would make me feel guilty for being in bed by tidying up my bedroom around me whilst making grumbling noises about the mess.
Stopping and resting is something I can only do when exhaustion takes over.
Even now I am thinking I could do with running the vacuum cleaner over the floor before I go to bed.

Suzi
11-08-18, 11:15 PM
Pacing is about spacing out things during the day and adding in low energy tasks/spaces too...

This might give you a better idea... http://stickmancommunications.co.uk/epages/747384.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/747384/Products/PKPAC01

Pen
11-08-18, 11:39 PM
Thank you. I like that it makes more sense to me. I may even be tempted to buy a set of the magnets and poster!

Suzi
12-08-18, 10:35 AM
Glad it helps!

The creator of Stickman - Hannah is someone who lives with chronic illness, so she gets it. She sells some brilliant items

Pen
12-08-18, 11:10 AM
I have bought the set and a number of her cards. They may be useful to give H and A the heads up that I need help.
I am wiped out today. Walked the dodgy and done some shopping but exhausted now.

Paula
12-08-18, 11:58 AM
Then I hope you’ve decided to rest....

Pen
12-08-18, 12:12 PM
I don't have any choice. My body has shut down. I can't get warm or stand for more than 5 minutes

Paula
12-08-18, 04:10 PM
The idea with pacing is that you don’t get to the point you are at today when your body shuts down. So, in the spirit of it, would it help if you told us here what you have to do tomorrow and we could help you with a pacing timetable?

Pen
12-08-18, 06:08 PM
Jobs I need to do this week
must do Monday. Load glaze kiln and fire
Prepare studio for Tuesday's classes
before H and A come back Tuesday lunchtime
Clean the bathroom
Clean the kitchen
Vacuum the landing
Other jobs that have to be done this week
Clear glaze the small mountain of stuff from kids classes and parties
Load and fire the biscuit kiln
Glaze owls (6 of them)
Make more owls
Make sheep
Glaze chickens (7 of them)
Make 10 cows
Glaze 30 cows
Create and send newsletter
Update website
Respond to customers emails
Run 7 classes
Sort out accounts and payroll
Take Dad out Wednesday morning
I think that's all.
Monday is the only day i don't have classes so I try and squeeze as much into it as I can.

Pen
12-08-18, 06:10 PM
Oh I should add it takes about 15 minutes per cow, owl or chicken to glaze them

Pen
12-08-18, 06:10 PM
If you can help with pacing I would appreciate it