PDA

View Full Version : Running off a cliff *potential SU trigger*

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Pen
17-04-18, 10:39 AM
Yes they pay rent

Pen
17-04-18, 10:41 AM
I have told them I am taking them to Costa on Wednesday afternoon for a family meeting. I think it would be better to be in neutral ground. It is not so easy for them to storm off!

Paula
17-04-18, 10:43 AM
Good plan

Suzi
17-04-18, 11:23 AM
I'm really pleased! Good plan lovely.

Pen
17-04-18, 03:14 PM
I am hiding in the studio as H and A are cleaning the house!!!

Suzi
17-04-18, 05:42 PM
Awesome!!!!

Angie
17-04-18, 07:32 PM
Brilliant

Pen
18-04-18, 09:15 AM
Why do customers think it's perfectly acceptable to ring at 8.45 in the morning.

Suzi
18-04-18, 09:41 AM
Lol -maybe you need clearer hours posted lol

Good luck for the family meeting today!

Paula
18-04-18, 09:49 AM
Do you have a separate number for customers? If so, could you send all to voicemail before you open?

Angie
18-04-18, 10:24 AM
Do you have clear opening hours ?

Pen
18-04-18, 11:04 PM
Do you have a separate number for customers? If so, could you send all to voicemail before you open?

Unfortunately i dont.

The family meeting went well. I got all 3 of us to write a list of everything that has to be done in the house and another one of everything in the business. Between the 3 of us we made a comprehensive list. I wanted the two of them to appreciate the amount of work the business takes and so they could help to spread the load. Once we had the list we went through allocating tasks.
In the house I wash up on Fridays and Mondays. I am responsible for keeping the hall tidy and vacuuming it. They will do the rest. A is going to do more hours in the studio and I have offered my friend arty two more hours paid work to wash the studio floor and clean the toilet. So we will see how it goes!

S deleted
19-04-18, 06:18 AM
So proud of you for taking charge of this. How do you feel now that it’s been sorted?

Suzi
19-04-18, 08:07 AM
That's really brilliant! I'm so pleased you did this and that everyone's on board with helping out a bit more! Well done lovely!

Paula
19-04-18, 11:27 AM
Well done, Pen, you’ve done brilliantly

Pen
20-04-18, 11:02 PM
I don't know what to do and need some advice.
On a Friday afternoon a friend runs the two classes. H and I cleaned the studio and had everything (so we thought) all ready. When she arrived however she complained that it would be helpful if when she arrived that the studio was clean and ready for her. I pointed out that we had but she complained that there were 4 unwashed cups and some tools and brushes in the sink.
I am quite upset about her comment.
I feel that a few unwashed cups and tools in a working studio is not the end of the world, however she obviously feels differently.
I don't know whether to just let it ride over me and make sure the sink is clean before she comes.
Or say something and risk upsetting her and possibly losing her. She is going to be away during most of the next month anyway.
I think I am particularly barker as a: another friend who loves washing up was coming to help at the session and b: I pay her extra for these sessions. She suffers from ME. But also had a thing about things being clean.

Paula
21-04-18, 08:44 AM
I have 2 questions for you. 1. What do you feel you should do (not what’s practical but actually what you want) 2. What’s your profit margins? I.e. is it really worth it financially to carry the classes on?

S deleted
21-04-18, 08:57 AM
She is YOUR employee, in YOUR studio, taking YOUR classes. She might be a clean freak in her own home but she’s in your environment and it’s up to her to adapt. Of course on the other hand I can understand her not wanting to clean up someone else’s mess but does that mess prevent her from carrying out the duty she is paid to do? I guess it doesn’t hurt to give her a clear sink and may be a good practice but at the same time it’s you who should be calling the shots not her.

Suzi
21-04-18, 10:40 AM
I have to agree with the others. If it's that much of an issue then she could have just moved them out of the sink.....

Pen
21-04-18, 12:51 PM
Yes, she could have moved them into the bowl under the sink.
Now I have had time to breathe I have decided that I wont say anything. I am making a mountain out of a molehill. I dont have to accept her criticism, if she has a problem with the setup that is her problem not mine.

Suzi
21-04-18, 02:30 PM
I think I'd have said something lol

Paula
21-04-18, 04:17 PM
I know it’s easier to not say anything but she was out of order and I’d have said something too. However, if leaving it is better for your mental health, then I can completely understand why you would

Pen
21-04-18, 07:54 PM
I have said something on messenger. Not got any comment back from that but then I also pointed out i was overpaying her and that was more of a concern.

S deleted
21-04-18, 08:18 PM
Haha, I’m not sure that messenger is the professional way of dealing with it but well done for bringing it up. Funny how she can moan about a dirty sink but conveniently stays quiet about being overpaid.

Suzi
21-04-18, 10:43 PM
Oh no! I hope you haven't got a problem by paying her too much...

Pen
25-04-18, 10:34 PM
Well that did not end well.
We spoke on the phone today, she basically said that I was difficult to work for and if I wanted her to continue to run the Tuesday and Saturday classes she wanted a 25% payrise. I talked it over with H and we decided that we would take back running these classes ourselves. She will still run the two special classes on a Friday. If she decided that she does not want to run them as well then they will have to stop.

Suzi
25-04-18, 10:52 PM
Sorry hunni, but I think it might be for the best...

Pen
25-04-18, 11:34 PM
Yes we think so too. I think the final straw was finding out something that she had done without consulting me. On Saturdays she ran two classes. At the end of the first class I went out and I expressed my surprise that there was very little money in the honesty pot that we use for people to put their fees in. I was not accusing anyone just wondered if the notes had been out in the tin. J however seemed to have taken this as an accusation that she was not checking the takings. After the class she contacted all the students to ask if they had paid. She did not consult me about this. If she had I would have told her not to. She has implied to a loyal regular group that we don't trust them...

Suzi
26-04-18, 08:23 AM
Omg! That's terrible! Definitely not a good look for the business at all!

Paula
26-04-18, 10:23 AM
Maybe you need to inform to this group that that the email she’d sent was sent in error and you apologise if it seemed you were concerned about their willingness to pay. Sometimes a preemptive strike can ease any ruffled feathers itms.

As to the classes she will still be taking, can you trust her after this? It is, after all, your name and professionalism that’s at stake

Suzi
26-04-18, 05:08 PM
That's a really good idea Paula..

Pen
26-04-18, 05:46 PM
Oh when we see them we will tell them.

Suzi
26-04-18, 08:22 PM
I agree with Paula a pre-emptive strike might be better. Not sure I'd want to go back somewhere if they were questioning my honesty....

Pen
29-04-18, 09:54 PM
The group were fine about it. They love pottery too much to be worried.
It's been a couple of really busy days. With the two classes yesterday and two parties today. I never usually take 2 parties in one day but there was a booking mixup. Thankfully my friend M could help. I will pay her for today as I could not have coped without her. The first party was for 11 year old girls. Normally my maximum is 8 but she brought 10 kids. Did did say that her other 2 kids could sit and watch but I am not that cruel! It did mean I was out in the studio at 9.30 this morning rearranging things to make sure I could squeeze them in. The party was for 11 but they turned up at 10.40 whilst I was still washing tables. The second party was at 2 and was, I thought 5 adults. 8 turned up. M and I had to do some frantic rearranging of the kids party makes. The adults arrived 30 minutes early...
We finally packed them off at 4 o'clock.
I am wondering if I charge enough. This is the first time I have paid M for her invaluable work. We make a good team. Her supervising the hand building whilst I give everyone in turn a chance to make something on the wheel. However paying M makes quite a dent in the profit. For the kids hour and a half party I charge £70 for up to 5 kids then £13 a child thereafter. For adult and family parties which are 2 hours I charge £80 for up to 5 people and £13 per person thereafter. I am thinking of making it £16 per person. I have no idea what people would find a fair price. What do you all think?

S deleted
29-04-18, 10:51 PM
So the extra people are currently paying less than the first 5. Definitely need to look at your pricing structure.

Suzi
30-04-18, 09:40 AM
I agree, your pricing structure seems very balanced in other people's favour!

OldMike
30-04-18, 11:51 AM
£16 for two hours (I think it is 2 hours) is more than fair because you supply all the materials as well, plus there's kiln time plus all the preparation you do too.

Pen
30-04-18, 12:47 PM
So the extra people are currently paying less than the first 5. Definitely need to look at your pricing structure.

The first few includes setup costs which is why extras cost less. I think if you have 8 people it works out at £15 a head.

Pen
30-04-18, 12:53 PM
£16 for two hours (I think it is 2 hours) is more than fair because you supply all the materials as well, plus there's kiln time plus all the preparation you do too.
I have been looking at the competition. Our local paint your own pottery shop has closed and they now just visit people's venues for parties. They charge £10 a head but it does not say if that covers the cost of the pottery as well. Other potters further afield charge between £18 and £25 a head. However the higher costing one includes food.
I have been looking at the competition. Our local paint your own pottery place charges

S deleted
30-04-18, 12:59 PM
I think £15-16 a head is reasonable.

Pen
30-04-18, 04:37 PM
Just done my talk to the oap s in the next village. 70 of them. Only a few fell asleep but I forgive them as it was quite warm. A lot of people came up at the end to say how interesting it was.

Suzi
30-04-18, 06:05 PM
Wow! Well done lovely!

Pen
03-05-18, 10:46 AM
Really feel like I am heading off the cliff again. I have been working without a day off for the last 18 days. Not solidly in the studio but spending at least a few hours in there every day. Last night another order came in for 12 sheep, 10 small cows and 2 big ones. I have not yet rebuilt my stocks from the last orders. I had scheduled today to make sheep anyway.
On Sunday I will be taking a friend and her 2 girls to an art exhibition in Bristol. Yesterday whilst taking my dad out he asked what I planned to do on the bank holiday. My answer was SLEEP!

Suzi
03-05-18, 02:25 PM
Sweetheart you have to find a way of saying no and balancing your work and health. You know that working too long and too hard is a massive trigger for you.

(bear) When are you having a complete rest day?

Pen
03-05-18, 05:29 PM
I intend to have a chill out day on Monday. however I only managed 6 of the 12 sheep and no of the big cows so may have to work on Monday to get the order complete. I am missing having J take the daytime classes!

Paula
03-05-18, 06:18 PM
Can you drop any of the classes? You are only one person after all

Suzi
03-05-18, 07:02 PM
I agree with Paula... You need to look at your schedule..

Pen
03-05-18, 09:41 PM
I can't drop any of the classes they would lynch me!!!

Pen
03-05-18, 09:44 PM
I did manage to make the last six sheep for the order during tonight's class and I only have one hour and a half class tomorrow so should manage the two cows tomorrow.

Suzi
03-05-18, 09:52 PM
Could you merge a couple of them? Just to give you a bit more time?

Pen
04-05-18, 05:05 PM
For a variety of reasons I can't merge them. M is covering this afternoon's group so I am having a rest. This has been brought on by a nagging pain in my leg. Going to see the doctor later this afternoon. Unfortunately it's a doctor I don't like but beggars can't be choosers.

Suzi
04-05-18, 09:52 PM
What have you done to your leg?
Can you get others to teach a class? What about final year students or similar?

Pen
05-05-18, 09:02 AM
I don't know what i have done to my leg and not did the doctor.
Went off my head last night. Snuck out the house and went for a long walk. Did not really know why or where I was going, my mind was just 'not there' I think I was going to walk to the motorway bridge and consider throwing myself off. I walked about 4 miles before I got too tired to go any further and found myself a spot by the main road to sit and watch the traffic. Of course the police showed up. A came and fetched me home.

Paula
05-05-18, 09:09 AM
Oh hunni, you really, really have to find an easier way to run your business. It’s clear you really struggle when you’ve overdone it and your health is so much more important than Work, no matter how much you love what you do. It seems to me that you urgently either have to get at least one other person to help you run the classes, get H really up and running with making the cows etc or cut the number of classes (or a combination thereof). You cannot carry on like this .....

Suzi
05-05-18, 11:16 AM
Completely agree with Paula

OldMike
05-05-18, 12:48 PM
I agree with Paula too, get Hanne making cows and sheep to take the pressure of you.

Pen
05-05-18, 07:10 PM
I know you are all right. However at the moment i am just going through hell. All day I have gone between spells of hyperactivity when I have just wanted to slash my wrists and utter exhaustion when I have just had to crash on the sofa. During the active phases I have sewed a patch on my beanbag pouffe and cleaned my sitting room. I did put my shoes on with the intention of driving to my favourite Costa for tea but then realised I am still too off my head to be safe to drive.

Suzi
05-05-18, 09:52 PM
Sweetheart can you use something like your crisis box? The crisis team? Samaritans? Anything to keep you safe?

Pen
05-05-18, 10:27 PM
I have taken a lorazepam when I felt like walking out. I have considered calling the crisis team this evening but the lorazepam has helped. I been able to do a bit of cross stitch since I took the tablet.

Suzi
05-05-18, 10:58 PM
Good. I'm glad.... Can you mark a day for pure rest please?

Pen
06-05-18, 01:30 PM
Hubby has taken me to the huge car boot sale. We can't get out of the car park. Several thousand cars trying to leave through one gate.

Pen
06-05-18, 03:52 PM
That turned into a bit more activity today than I would have liked! Now feeling quite exhausted.

Paula
06-05-18, 04:22 PM
I hope you’re going to sit down with a cuppa and rest then

Suzi
06-05-18, 05:55 PM
I hope you're resting too lovely

Pen
06-05-18, 06:42 PM
My son and his gf have been here since 4. They have just left. My anxiety is rising along with thoughts about how nice it would be to be dead.

Suzi
06-05-18, 11:20 PM
Hunni have you called a helpline or found a way to distract?

Pen
07-05-18, 08:15 AM
I never know what to say if I ring a helpline. I am too ashamed to ring the intensive support team. Anyway made it through the night.

Paula
07-05-18, 08:49 AM
Why are you ashamed, lovely? It’s not your fault you’re ill and, tbh, it’s their job to listen and help you!

magie06
07-05-18, 10:14 AM
Would it help to text a helpline number? I know in my last crisis it helped me enormously.

Suzi
07-05-18, 10:35 AM
You have nothing to be ashamed of lovely... Can you get an appointment to see the Dr and tell them what you've been telling us?

Pen
07-05-18, 10:36 AM
I have been emailing the Samaritans

Suzi
07-05-18, 10:44 AM
I'm glad you've been in contact with someone - but will you consider going back to the GP? Or calling the crisis team?
Can you just rest and distract for today?

Pen
07-05-18, 11:53 AM
There is no point in trying to go back and see the GP firstly it is unlikely that I would get an appointment anytime soon and secondly the only thing they would tell me to do is to try and take things easier and not take on so much work. I know all this already so it is just wasting their time. I have brought this on myself which is why I feel ashamed.

Suzi
07-05-18, 11:55 AM
So instead of feeling ashamed, can you work out a plan so you don't run yourself into the ground again?

Pen
07-05-18, 01:44 PM
You'd think so wouldn't you. I keep making plans but then are useless at keeping them

Suzi
07-05-18, 02:06 PM
You're going to have to be stricter with yourself lovely...

Paula
07-05-18, 03:50 PM
A side effect of working where you live, I suppose. I know H has her own health problems but is she up to taking over the adm8n side of the business?

Pen
07-05-18, 04:33 PM
Lol. I gave H responsibility of looking after our Facebook group for people who have been in courses. That was some months ago and she has done nothing. So I really don't think I could give her the admin.

Suzi
07-05-18, 04:59 PM
What about hiring an accountant? Or a virtual admin?

Pen
07-05-18, 10:10 PM
No i can't afford one.

Paula
07-05-18, 10:20 PM
How does the cost compare to, say, having to pay for someone to cover more classes because you’re exhausted? Can you afford to completely crash and have to cancel classes?

Hunni, it seems clear to us all that you have to change how you’re doing this, to have to actually commit to changes rather than putting it to one side to deal with another day. I’m sorry if it sounds harsh but you have this cycle where you crash, open up to us, admit you need help, get a bit better and forget about all the lessons you learned during the crash. Then you keep pushing until the next crash and the cycle repeats.

You simply cannot continue to do this and I, for one, care too much about you to let you carry on without saying something in the hope it sinks in

Pen
07-05-18, 11:08 PM
Most of the admin is automated and actually does not take much time. What really does eat into my time is dealing with the work the students create during the classes. It is surprising the amount of time I spend rearranging drying work so it dries evenly, loading the kilns, unloading the kilns, checking that students have cleaned glaze off the bottom of pots, repairing work that has been damaged during drying, clear glazing work from parties and introductory sessions, marking pieces up from parties etc so they can be reunited with their makers eventually. I would really like H to work more hours and do all this but it needs doing everyday and she is unwilling to work more hours.

Suzi
08-05-18, 08:51 AM
I completely agree with Paula.
What about getting a student in to help?

Pen
09-05-18, 11:15 PM
Had a really bad day today. I made an emergency appointment with the docs but she was no help.

Suzi
10-05-18, 10:14 AM
What happened lovely? What did they say?

Pen
10-05-18, 11:49 AM
She did not know what to say. Just told me to call the Crisis team. However this morning she has asked the office staff to get me an appointment with the mental health nurse this afternoon.

Pen
10-05-18, 01:34 PM
I called the crisis team this morning. Had a chat. He pointed out the obvious that I need to cancel classes or make other arrangements till I recover. Seeing the M H nurse at 3. I have a half hour appointment so hopefully it will help. Hubby stayed the night last night as he decided he could not leave me in the state I was in. I am at a loss to know what to do about tonight's class. H is suffering from period and kidney pains, M who has been helping out with other classes has to work till 10 tonight. Can't decide if I should run it myself, ask I if she can cover or cancel.

Suzi
10-05-18, 02:46 PM
Can H not take a couple of painkillers and at least help if you decide to run it?

I'm really glad you have an appointment and that the crisis team are aware...

Pen
10-05-18, 04:16 PM
I have cancelled it after discussing it with both the MH nurse and the crisis team. I am going back to see the nurse on Tuesday.

Paula
10-05-18, 05:37 PM
Good (bear)

Suzi
10-05-18, 08:54 PM
How did you get on with the mh nurse?

Pen
10-05-18, 09:26 PM
Ok. She has suggested taking 2 lorazepam a day to help with the suicidal thoughts. I only have 4 so she is sending a prescription directly to the chemist for me to pick up on Saturday for another 6 so I don't have enough to overdose. I have agreed that I need to rein in activities for the next few days. I have a party booked for Tuesday but I have just emailed them to say that the doctor has signed me off sick. Not totally accurate but she did offer yesterday. I will see the MH nurse again on Tuesday when she hopes I will have recovered enough to talk about finding a way to stop this cycle.

Paula
10-05-18, 09:32 PM
That al sounds like a plan. I’m proud of you for getting the help you need :)

Suzi
10-05-18, 09:56 PM
That's really positive lovely...

Pen
11-05-18, 10:13 AM
Just had a very angry dad on the phone....

OldMike
11-05-18, 10:30 AM
Reducing your work load seems like a good plan Pen, hopefully in a few days things will be a bit more settled.

S deleted
11-05-18, 10:47 AM
What’s up with the old man? I totally get how difficult a choice it is to cancel work right now but I think you’ve done the right thing for you. Make sure you take these few days to look after you and put yourself first.

Pen
11-05-18, 11:12 AM
I had to back down and agree to run the party on Tuesday

S deleted
11-05-18, 11:34 AM
But nothing else booked in before that?

Pen
11-05-18, 12:14 PM
A two hour class from 1 to 3. Party from 4 to 5.30 then another class from 7 till 9

Paula
11-05-18, 03:35 PM
That’s not exactly taking time off sick ....

Suzi
11-05-18, 04:24 PM
I can understand why he'd be upset. Can you cancel the classes and "just" run the party?

Pen
11-05-18, 06:32 PM
No. However H will help with the class in the afternoon. M and H will run the evening. The parents have agreed to help with party so hopefully it will all be alright on the night. M has agreed to run the Tuesday and Wednesday evening classes and both the weekend classes. I only have to run the Tuesday afternoon and Thursday evening, which to be honest pretty well run themselves.

S deleted
11-05-18, 06:42 PM
To be fair you’ve done all in your power to reduce your workload while keeping the business running and I commend you on that. Please look after yourself over the weekend and stay away from the studio.

Pen
11-05-18, 06:52 PM
I have a head full of cotton wool. It feels like i have been given something to anesthetize me (I hadn't by the way) it feels like you could cut my arm off and I would not know. It's weird. Been trying to keep myself sane by planning an extension to the studio. As I am getting more manufacturing work i am thinking of building a workshop on the side where I can make stuff without having to clear away all the time for the classes and where I can safely store my products during and after manufacture. My own personal studio that customers cannot access.

Paula
11-05-18, 08:08 PM
While it sounds like a great plan for the future, I’m not sure that’s something you should be focusing on at the moment .....

S deleted
11-05-18, 08:25 PM
Agree with Paula.

Pen
11-05-18, 09:11 PM
Don't worry I won't be rushing into anything but it is something positive to focus on rather than contemplating my death.

Suzi
11-05-18, 10:31 PM
If you're struggling with those thoughts, call the crisis team - use their support. If they don't know how bad things are for you then they won't be able to help support you...

Pen
12-05-18, 09:03 AM
I am feeling a little better this morning despite a tough night with Ember scratching almost continuously! So I am going to tackle ratifying last year's accounts and doing my tax return.

S deleted
12-05-18, 09:11 AM
That’s not taking a break from work! Pen you need to step away from all that for a while and focus on you.

OldMike
12-05-18, 10:06 AM
Pen can you do something that's not work related like read a book or do some sketching. I like the idea of a separate studio for your own art, that's something to aspire to when you've got yourself well again. This may have been proffered before can't H do your accounts.

Pen
12-05-18, 11:14 AM
I don't think I will be doing any work today. I woke up thinking I had a full cutlery drawer of spoons. A walk round the park and then going round the co op has disabused me of that. I am exhausted again. I had to go in the studio to put my frozen stuff away. Of course they were all asking if I was better and what was wrong. It's still a sad sign that I could not tell them. If I had cancer I would get sympathy but with this lot I am sure I would get lots of useless advice. Everyone thinks they are an expert when it comes to telling someone with a mental health problems what they should do to get better.

S deleted
12-05-18, 11:30 AM
Oh yes. I hear ya. Everyone is an expert and like to offer their wisdom. I know what you mean about the spoon dilemma. I often think I can take on the world but 5 mins into the first task reality strikes and reminds me I’m not as good as I thought.

Suzi
12-05-18, 11:55 AM
(panda) Oh hunni.. I am glad you're not going to be working today - can you spend the time resting and recharging and keeping you safe?

Pen
12-05-18, 12:09 PM
(panda) Oh hunni.. I am glad you're not going to be working today - can you spend the time resting and recharging and keeping you safe?

I will try. The problem when I start to feel better is after 5 minutes rest I am ready to dash off and do something again. Then like Stella realise that I am possibly not as good as I thought.

Suzi
12-05-18, 05:03 PM
How's the resting going?

Pen
12-05-18, 07:48 PM
I am trying. I have been catching up on tv and sewing this afternoon.

Suzi
12-05-18, 08:48 PM
Whilst resting? Was it TV and sewing for enjoyment?

Pen
12-05-18, 09:38 PM
Yes. Doing my cross stitch. It's the only sewing I am able to do.

Pen
12-05-18, 09:53 PM
Having a bit of a wobble tonight. This is frustrating. Taken a lorazepam now feel my head is no longer attached to my body. Fed up with feeling like this.

Suzi
12-05-18, 10:52 PM
Are you planning to rest tomorrow? Can you get your husband to stay with you? Or call the crisis team?

Pen
13-05-18, 12:19 AM
I will need to go and get my meds tomorrow but I was planning a quiet day apart from that. However as many quiet days as I have I don't seem to be getting any better. I can't sleep tonight.

Suzi
13-05-18, 09:47 AM
Thing is, you're probably over tired and over stressed lovely. You need the rest...

Paula
13-05-18, 09:51 AM
It’s still early days with this particular spike, lovely, you’re doing all the right things (bear)

Pen
13-05-18, 02:19 PM
Trying to do a bit more today.Got my meds, been in The Range, had lunch in Costa, dusted, tidied and vacuumed my bedroom and got a load of washing on. Treated myself to some new drawing pens so planning to do some art now.

S deleted
13-05-18, 02:22 PM
The Range is fab for their arts and crafts stuff and so much cheaper than most places. We’ve got a huge store about 15 miles from here that’s so big you could get lost in it.

Pen
13-05-18, 03:22 PM
My Range is about 2 miles away. FAR too close! ! I spend far too much money in there! Unfortunately the Range forced our local art shops to close however about 10 miles away is a wyevale garden centre (I use the term garden loosely here as garden stuff is definitely in the minority in it now) which has a large arts and crafts shop which aims to stock what The Range does not. It is also VERY dangerous for me to go there as well!!

S deleted
13-05-18, 03:26 PM
Sounds like a dream store for you. Plants and paints lol

Pen
13-05-18, 03:41 PM
Yes both of them are. Had to stop myself heading for the garden section when I was in the Range. As it was I only went in for a £1.99 sketch pad and spent £27.

S deleted
13-05-18, 04:09 PM
Yep that’s about right lol

Suzi
13-05-18, 04:44 PM
Hope the art is helping lovely...

Pen
13-05-18, 08:08 PM
It did but going downhill tonight.

S deleted
13-05-18, 08:12 PM
I find evenings are hardest too.

Suzi
13-05-18, 08:31 PM
What are you doing tonight to keep you safe?

Pen
13-05-18, 08:46 PM
I did try some drawing but I can't focus. Just want to cry tonight.

Suzi
13-05-18, 09:14 PM
(panda)(panda)(panda)

OldMike
14-05-18, 11:41 AM
Hope you're feeling a little better today Pen (bear) (panda)

Pen
14-05-18, 12:42 PM
Gone back to work today. Just about coping with being on my own with my headphones on.

Paula
14-05-18, 01:21 PM
How many hours are you planning today?

Suzi
14-05-18, 02:11 PM
Are you well enough to be back at work?

Pen
14-05-18, 04:28 PM
Are you well enough to be back at work?

I don't know but I coped ok with a little bit of glazing and some admin. Just had a shock when I discovered I have a private lesson booked in for 7. So working more hours than I intended today.

Suzi
14-05-18, 08:26 PM
Hope the lesson went well and you're now resting...

Pen
14-05-18, 08:39 PM
Just got back. Very tired now.

Suzi
14-05-18, 08:46 PM
Have you eaten? Can you rest?

Pen
14-05-18, 09:01 PM
I have eaten but it's my day to do the washing up so just going to go and do it.

Suzi
14-05-18, 10:12 PM
But if you've been teaching and working, surely someone else could do it whilst you are so poorly?

Pen
15-05-18, 09:01 AM
No. We have a zero silence rule about the washing up. If it's your turn you do it. No excuses.
Really struggled to wake up this morning. I knew I was dreaming and I wanted to wake up but it was like i was caught in the Matrix and could not escape!
All the time I have been poorly I have had a problem with a tick in my eye. Yesterday it was gone but it's back today.

OldMike
15-05-18, 09:54 AM
But surely if A and H see you're poorly they should offer to do the washing up.

Pen
15-05-18, 12:24 PM
No does not work like that.
Been to see the MH nurse this morning.

Suzi
15-05-18, 01:50 PM
How did you get on with them?

Pen
15-05-18, 03:33 PM
Nothing to report really. She said I should slow down but we both agreed that was probably impossible.

Suzi
15-05-18, 05:35 PM
Can you try to cut back at least a bit?

Pen
15-05-18, 06:37 PM
Well I have run one class and a party for 6 years olds this afternoon. H has banished me to the house for the evening whilst she and my friend M run tonight's class.

Paula
15-05-18, 09:09 PM
Good on H

Suzi
15-05-18, 09:39 PM
YAY for H!

Pen
16-05-18, 09:26 PM
Helped M run the class tonight. Enjoyed it. Feel I am on the mend tonight.

Suzi
16-05-18, 09:31 PM
Glad you're feeling better, but hunni have you even taken 1 full day off?

Paula
16-05-18, 09:52 PM
That’s really good to hear :)

Pen
17-05-18, 09:33 PM
Glad you're feeling better, but hunni have you even taken 1 full day off?

Yes I took a while week off on Exmoor last year.

Suzi
17-05-18, 09:48 PM
I meant during this crisis, but seriously the fact it's been that long should tell you something....

Pen
17-05-18, 10:22 PM
I did take some days off during the crisis as I just could not work. Of course now I am better I am trying to catch up with what should have been done whilst I was ill. I wanted to get a stock of cows ready for the next orders before I go away at the beginning of June. I have got 12 made in the last two days. But I am behind on my manufacturing schedule I drew up at the end of April.
Tomorrow morning I have a party for 5 kids. Not looking forward to it as I will not have an assistant.

Paula
17-05-18, 10:39 PM
Surely, as it’s your own company, any manufacturing schedule you created can be updated to allow for the fact you’ve been ill?

Pen
17-05-18, 10:57 PM
Yes but I need to have product available ready for the next orders.
Btw. One of my customers said that the cows were positioned so they are the first thing people see and once they have seen how cute they are they have smiles all round.

Paula
18-05-18, 08:00 AM
They are very cute :)

Suzi
18-05-18, 08:40 AM
They are awesome!

Please, please, please don't push yourself so hard that you crash lovely.... Why don't you have an assistant for tomorrow?

Pen
18-05-18, 09:19 AM
They are awesome!

Please, please, please don't push yourself so hard that you crash lovely.... Why don't you have an assistant for tomorrow?

Because she works full time and is unavailable.

Suzi
18-05-18, 09:33 AM
What about H or A?

Pen
18-05-18, 01:26 PM
Arty came and helped so it was ok.

Suzi
18-05-18, 02:38 PM
Hooray for Arty! That was kind!

S deleted
18-05-18, 03:30 PM
Good on Arty.

Pen
18-05-18, 04:02 PM
Ordered the new shed\workshop today. Bought some more plants for the garden and bought pet food so I have spent over £1000 today

OldMike
18-05-18, 05:10 PM
It was good Arty helped you out.

I've never bought a shed but I shouldn't think you'd get much change out of £1000.

Pen
18-05-18, 05:17 PM
No especially as they are building it as well. It is being customised for me as well.

Pen
18-05-18, 06:59 PM
Spent much of the afternoon working on the garden. Built a new water feature for the pond. Brought the dogwood back under control, cleaned up an obilsk planted several pots. Feeling happy that I can finally get some of the jobs that have been waiting done. Just to spend an hour watering now and I can finally sit down and rest

Paula
18-05-18, 07:00 PM
Pictures?

Suzi
18-05-18, 08:19 PM
I'd love to see pics too!
Hope your feet are well and truly up!

Pen
18-05-18, 10:25 PM
I'm trying to get the videor posted on Facebook but I am struggling. Yes I have my feet up (rofl)

Pen
18-05-18, 11:07 PM
Ok. The videos are on Facebook

Pen
19-05-18, 08:05 AM
M and H are running today's classes. That means I have effectively 3 days without classes!

OldMike
19-05-18, 09:23 AM
Wooo hooo 3 days doing exactly what you want, sounds good Pen.

Suzi
19-05-18, 09:36 AM
Hooray for 3 days off!

Pen
19-05-18, 11:31 AM
i don't know what to do with myself!

Paula
19-05-18, 11:32 AM
Long walks? Go shopping/mooching in one of the lovely villages in your area?

Pen
19-05-18, 11:44 AM
I can't get the car off the drive for customers in the way. Anyway H has just been sick so will need to take over the class

OldMike
19-05-18, 11:49 AM
Oh dear Pen is there no one else who can step in?

Suzi
19-05-18, 03:20 PM
Oh no! Hope it's an easy one...

Pen
19-05-18, 09:29 PM
It was. Feeling a bit rocky tonight. Think I may have done too much today.

Suzi
19-05-18, 09:50 PM
Oh sweetheart, I hope you're resting. If you need it use the crisis team lovely....

Pen
19-05-18, 10:48 PM
I'm ok. Just overtired I think

Suzi
20-05-18, 10:03 AM
How are you doing today lovely?

Paula
20-05-18, 10:44 AM
Are you resting today?

Pen
20-05-18, 01:42 PM
Are you resting today?

Sort of. Been out to get compost, my meds and some shorts (failed on the shorts). Then spent an hour in Costa watching catch up tv, eating lunch and writing in my journal.
Back home now and chilling on the sofa.

Paula
20-05-18, 04:53 PM
I suppose for you that’s resting ;)

Suzi
20-05-18, 05:15 PM
Glad you took some time out at lunchtime!

Pen
20-05-18, 08:12 PM
Went out at 4 and have spent a pleasant 4 hours gardening. I find gardening very mindful. My plants are like children to me (actually I probably talk more to my plants than I do my children! )

Suzi
20-05-18, 08:42 PM
I talk to my plants too! Apparently it's when they answer back you have to worry ;)

Pen
21-05-18, 08:48 AM
Oh!!! Mine do! Mind you it's in plant language so that is probably ok.
Here we are another day on planet earth.

Suzi
21-05-18, 04:01 PM
Mine do too! :)

Pen
21-05-18, 04:19 PM
Back from getting the results of my blood test with the diabetes nurse. Marginally higher than a non diabetic in the (at risk category) but hugely better than they were. Poor lady she said she would check the pulses in my feet. Well I don't know about you guys but after a few hours in sandals my feet smell! Even I could smell them and I was nearly 6 feet away!

Paula
21-05-18, 05:36 PM
Better is great!

Suzi
21-05-18, 09:07 PM
Poor lady she said she would check the pulses in my feet. Well I don't know about you guys but after a few hours in sandals my feet smell! Even I could smell them and I was nearly 6 feet away!
I wasn't expecting a foot check either! I felt exactly the same!

Pen
23-05-18, 11:03 PM
Starting to get excited about my week away. I am sure that the weather will demonstrate its typical eccentricity so I have bought a new rain coat and shorts! 3 new books to read (not about pottery) a new sun hat and new sandals. I will either be in the cabin reading or walking the moors.

OldMike
24-05-18, 09:17 AM
Shorts and a raincoat like your style nothing like being prepared, are you taking some wellingtons in case it is too wet for sandals ;)

I'm sure you'll have a great time Pen (bear)

Pen
24-05-18, 09:30 AM
Shorts and a raincoat like your style nothing like being prepared, are you taking some wellingtons in case it is too wet for sandals ;)

I'm sure you'll have a great time Pen (bear)

Waterproof walking shoes actually (rofl)

Suzi
24-05-18, 09:44 AM
Sounds lovely! When are you off? Just you and Ember?

Pen
24-05-18, 11:26 AM
Monday 4th June. Hubby is coming to.

Suzi
24-05-18, 06:26 PM
Nice!

Pen
24-05-18, 06:33 PM
I need it. Feeling rocky tonight. Don't want to take the class.

Paula
24-05-18, 06:52 PM
Can no one else do it?

Suzi
24-05-18, 06:54 PM
Do you enjoy taking classes? You seem to find them hard work... Is it teaching or making your own artwork which you enjoy the most?

Pen
24-05-18, 09:36 PM
Sometimes I enjoy them but mostly I enjoy making stuff. Unfortunately I make more money with the classes.

Suzi
25-05-18, 09:36 AM
Are there classes you prefer to teach? Could you train H up to take some of the classes? What about students from the uni you attended?

Pen
25-05-18, 10:08 AM
There are some I don't mind taking and my friend Max is taking 4 of the classes are week to give me resting time. The one class I really don't like taking is the group for the disabled. J has been taking this but she is away till June so Max has been covering when she can. However she works full time and can only do every other week. I think this week we will have to break it to them that there will be no class for 3 weeks. There will be a lot of grumbles. I would rather not have J back teaching after what happened but don't see an option. H said we should discontinue the group but it's a lifeline for the members, and chance to get out of their four walls, meet others, have a laugh and a cuppa and play with mud I don't know if could cope with the guilt!
Hope is gaining confidence with working with the classes but her anxiety would not let her go solo at the moment. I am hoping that with time she will.

Suzi
25-05-18, 11:37 AM
Can I ask why you don't like teaching the disabled group?
It's great you have Max who can help out. I wish there was something different I could suggest to help....

OldMike
25-05-18, 12:12 PM
Yes I can understand teaching the disabled group could be taxing but it must give you immense satisfaction you've given them a couple of hours of laughs, chat, fun and a brew.

Pen
25-05-18, 01:22 PM
Mike that's Why I don't want to close it.

Suzi
25-05-18, 02:34 PM
I can totally understand that. What about asking for volunteers from your local volunteer bureau for that class? Maybe some of the others too? You might then be able to help someone and get help yourself?

Pen
25-05-18, 05:43 PM
I dont run it. Max runs it with a number of volunteers from my pottery classes. I just find it too stressful to run. One of the members told me he wanted Max to stay and said he did not want J back. I don't know if he was serious though he is a bit of a jester. J will be back running it middle of June.

Suzi
25-05-18, 10:25 PM
Sounds like Max is a keeper for the business!

Pen
25-05-18, 11:48 PM
Yes she is!

Suzi
26-05-18, 09:37 AM
So, how are your moods lovely?

Pen
26-05-18, 10:00 AM
Up and down, mainly down. Hubby came over last night. I could have done with just enjoying being with him but he had had an altercation with the people up the tip and wanted someone to rant to. He asked if I had any classes that day, when I said Max had run it he asked if I do ANY work these days. Although I did not react to his comment it started me feeling bad that I don't work hard enough. It's that time of month when I start craving chocolate as well so I am feeling a bit fragile emotionally

Suzi
26-05-18, 01:01 PM
That's a mean thing to say! You work more hours than most people I've ever met!

OldMike
26-05-18, 02:30 PM
I thought that was a thoughtless thing to say, not only do you do classes there's all the preparation you do plus running a home and walking Ember your days are so full.

Paula
26-05-18, 03:29 PM
You work so hard, often to the detriment of your own health! You have nothing to feel bad about

Pen
26-05-18, 10:09 PM
It's been a tiring day. I did some work in the pottery and the garden. Tonight I wanted to do some sewing but Ember has insisted on cuddles this evening. I think it's because there has been a thunderstorm around in the distance. I was going to make a water feature this evening but decided in the end that I was too tired and it would have to wait till tomorrow

Suzi
26-05-18, 10:14 PM
Maybe you getting some cuddles was Embers way of making you stop?

Pen
26-05-18, 10:41 PM
Maybe. I am hoping the weather is good enough tomorrow to get the bike out and cycle to the pharmacy. Getting out on the bike always helps my mood.

Suzi
27-05-18, 10:05 AM
What's the weather like for you? Did you manage to get out on the bike?

Pen
27-05-18, 12:12 PM
The weather is sticky and damp. Took Ember in the car to get my meds. I will go out to Costa in a bit for lunch but I think it will be in the car as I just feel so tired.

Suzi
27-05-18, 12:31 PM
Did you not sleep well lovely?

Pen
27-05-18, 02:57 PM
Yes I slept well, I just feel weary. I did Costa and then Asda. I may try and get out in the garden once I have recharged.

Suzi
27-05-18, 03:37 PM
What've you got on this week?

Pen
27-05-18, 08:18 PM
Naming two cows
Designing and ordering new flyers
Invoicing customers
Shipping cows and sheep
5 classes
vacuuming
Changing the bed
During the kilns
Making more cows
Making a water feature.
Not much really

Paula
27-05-18, 08:23 PM
Can we help with the names? Perhaps we give you some ideas and you pick out of a hat?

Pen
27-05-18, 08:36 PM
They have to be Scottish girls names and I have used the most common so no Morags please!

Every cow has a unique name. One cow has a sign of John o groats and the other is looking at an owl.

Suzi
27-05-18, 10:52 PM
Cows names: Ta dah! http://www.scottishgirlsnames.co.uk/

Can someone else help with the vacuuming? The classes? Do you really need to make another water feature this week?

Pen
27-05-18, 11:57 PM
Thanks that's the site I already use(rofl)
The vacuuming I will have to do as it's my rooms that need cleaning. Max is running 3 of the classes. I want to try and make the feature as if I can get them right and find the right outlet they could be a good source of income. I think I could make all the component parts in 2 hours. Resin water features in garden centres start at £250 and can go up to £1000 and that's for a mass produced piece.

Paula
28-05-18, 09:25 AM
Ok, so the feature sounds a positive plan, but surely waiting another week isn’t going to make much difference

OldMike
28-05-18, 09:37 AM
Couldn't there be a problem with the weight if you've making ceramic water features of a reasonable size as compared to resin or fibre glass? I certainly like the idea though.

Suzi
28-05-18, 10:15 AM
I think they're great, but again I don't see why it has to be this week?

Pen
28-05-18, 10:30 AM
It is I think. Next week I am away. The week after is the last week without classes till September. Things are going to get VERY busy over the following 10 weeks with gift shop orders, parties and summer holiday kids club in top of the usual stuff. I have decided that the house cleaning can wait.

Couldn't there be a problem with the weight if you've making ceramic water features of a reasonable size as compared to resin or fibre glass? I certainly like the idea though.

They are heavier it's true but I don't intend to make them very big and they are no heavier than the rock features you can buy

Suzi
28-05-18, 10:45 AM
I'm glad you've given in a bit and aren't going to push the cleaning stuff today too.

Pen
28-05-18, 02:27 PM
Water feature thrown. You know when I was at college I told my tutor I was not interested in making bowls and stuff on the wheel of I knew then what I know now it would have been quite different.

Suzi
28-05-18, 04:01 PM
You amaze me!

OldMike
28-05-18, 04:43 PM
That's brilliant making stuff without a wheel and throwing with one are two different skill sets and increase your versatility. Do you do any ceramics using moulds? I think they're more for mass production and I think you probably like the uniqueness of your items better.

Pen
28-05-18, 04:57 PM
I have made a mould which I use to make highland cow wall plaques. But mostly I make unique stuff.
Well today I have spent two hours in the studio, given Ember her bi annual bath, and worked through a bag and a half of compost putting up bedding plants. Arty thinks I should do some vacuuming now!

Paula
28-05-18, 07:22 PM
Did you enjoy your time in the studio?

Suzi
28-05-18, 09:29 PM
How are you feeling lovely?