PDA

View Full Version : Dependency or Addiction?

purplefan
08-04-16, 12:34 AM
Is there a difference between Addiction or Dependency? If so i am not really sure what it is and reading a few web pages has me thinking it could be tough coming off prescription drugs. Is there any difference in the symptoms or are they both the same just different terms?

Flo
08-04-16, 09:19 AM
Is there a difference between Addiction or Dependency? If so i am not really sure what it is and reading a few web pages has me thinking it could be tough coming off prescription drugs. Is there any difference in the symptoms or are they both the same just different terms?

Hi purple, I 'think' the difference is little. Personally I would term the word 'Addiction' as the inability to help it. i.e. I'm a recovering alcoholic, that was my 'addiction'. I couldn't help myself..along with other stuff too, and I'd lie about the amount, and stash stuff deceitfully. I would term 'Dependency', as a drug that was initially prescribed by your doctor to help you short term with a problem but after a while when it was 'maybe' time to come of them, you couldn't because you became 'dependent' on them and convinced yourself that you couldn't do without them. This is my personal opinion only. Others on the forum may have more of a concrete idea. I'm not very good at explaining myself......I should imagine that the symptoms are the same,.. as Addiction and Dependency are just words. Either way, no doctor should allow anyone to suffer withdrawals....There may not be any withdrawals! Sorry all of this is so convoluted!(think)

Flo
08-04-16, 09:21 AM
PS. A good example of dependency is Diazepam. Doctors are careful about prescribing them as apparently, if taken for about 2-3 weeks, the risk of dependency is very high.

Suzi
08-04-16, 10:17 AM
I agree with Flo. I think the difference is a legality itms? I had to go through withdrawal from one pain relief to other medication and it gave me a new respect for anyone who has to go through cold turkey...

S deleted
08-04-16, 10:26 AM
Yeah I think it's a blame issue. I've you choose to take something and become addicted that's on you. If you are given something to help you and become dependent its a calculated risk.

rose
08-04-16, 01:23 PM
I take 4 drugs and only one (Diazepam) is described as addictive. I suppose addiction is where you need more and more of something to get the same rush/effect, it takes an incredible amount of willpower not to repeat the behaviour.
Dependency is a physical need. Like Gambling is addictive but with alcohol your body becomes dependent on having it; you can't just stop drinking if you're an alcoholic but you could just stop gambling.

My other medicines are not addictive or dependent. I could stop Fluoxetine and Quetiapine at any time, I'd feel like crap for a bit and then be ok.
The only one I am unsure about is Pregabalin, now I think about it. If my pdoc's advice was correct, suddenly stopping can cause seizures and so the drug has to be decreased slowly. Therefore I would probably have to say I am dependent of Pregabalin.

OldMike
08-04-16, 01:56 PM
SSRI's are not addictive but have discontinuation problems so should be reduced slowly under medical supervision before stopping completely.

In one sense if I stopped taking Sertraline my depression would return so I'm dependent on taking it to keep reasonably well, it all depends on how you define these words.

Anna
08-04-16, 07:55 PM
I agree that there's not always that much difference between addiction and dependence. Both can occur without the other or together.

When I've come off SSRIs in the past, I had to gradually reduce the dose to avoid getting withdrawal symptoms, but I didn't really notice any ill effects at all to be honest. There's much more of a desperate, uncontrollable element to addiction, whereas physical dependency can usually be controlled/managed much more easily, in most cases anyway.

Paula
09-04-16, 12:15 PM
Hmmm I have a slightly different tack on this. To me, it's about intent. For an addict to get clean involves a high degree of intent/willpower to make that decision and stick with it regardless of how hard it is. For people who take prescription drugs that are no longer required or are being changed, generally the willpower is there, it's 'just' a case of managing the discontinuation symptoms. Also, I do believe that some people have addictive personalities and are predisposed to addiction so are therefore fighting against the mental and physical addiction and their own bodies reactions at the same time.

For the record, I've had to go through withdrawal a lot. It sucks, but I've always got through. I don't think it's because I'm particularly strong, I think I don't have an addictive personality itms

purplefan
09-04-16, 05:50 PM
Can i ask Paula what it feels like Going through withdrawal? Is it the same feelings for everyone or do people differ?
Would like to here from other people and their struggle with addiction coming off meds.

Paula
09-04-16, 06:00 PM
From Wikipedia

People with discontinuation syndrome have been on an antidepressant for at least four weeks and have recently stopped taking the medication, whether abruptly, after a fast taper, or each time the medication is reduced on a slow taper.[1] Commonly reported symptoms include flu-like symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, sweating), sleep disturbances (insomnia, nightmares, constant sleepiness). Sensory and movement disturbances have also been reported, including imbalance, tremors, vertigo, dizziness, and electric-shock-like experiences in the brain, often described by sufferers as "brain zaps". Mood disturbances such as dysphoria, anxiety, or agitation are also reported, as are cognitive disturbances such as confusion and hyperarousal.

Psychosis is also known. I haven't suffered hyperarousal or psychosis but everything else.

Additionally, I've suffered what my psychiatrist thought was serotonin syndrome in the past, though they weren't sure.

Suzi
09-04-16, 08:14 PM
I'm the same as Paula if that helps? I would like to add that each time it's been different for each medication..

purplefan
09-04-16, 11:47 PM
If a person is coming off a drug and he feels no side effects at all apart from a slight heavy feeling in the head is that ok?

Paula
10-04-16, 11:06 AM
I'd say that person is lucky ;) everyone is different, purple

OldMike
10-04-16, 11:17 AM
In the early days of my depression (SAD) I'd be on sertraline from autumn/winter to the following summer then come off them slowly with no side effects (unless I've a selective memory) I went through this cycle a few times before I was on sertraline permanently.

purplefan
10-04-16, 01:43 PM
If controlled drugs that are prescribed by the doctor can give you side effects, then it leads to the question why are we using them?
I cant imagine what it must be like coming off Heroin or cocaine. I guess the good outweighs the evil in prescribed drugs.

Paula
10-04-16, 02:00 PM
The drugs change the way our brains/chemicals work so it seems logical that removing that will have an impact. Lithium is a dangerous drug but there is no way I'm ever going to allow anyone to take me off it - my life without it is not worth living.

Suzi
10-04-16, 03:26 PM
I'm with Paula. Some of the drugs I'm on or have been on have caused withdrawal - morphine included... but the worst I came off was cocodamol which I'd been taking for a long time at a "cause for concern" level... That was horrible... Thing is I know what my life is like with the drugs and I know it's better..