PDA

View Full Version : tricyclic to SSRI's

Flo
15-03-16, 07:03 PM
Has anyone changed from Tricyclic to SSRI's? Off to see the Dr Thursday to see if I can change to a modern AD. I'm beginning to wonder if my Dosulepin is losing it's effectiveness. I know it won't be an easy change-over, but I'm willing to give it a go. So if it's worked for any of you I'd love to know. Thanks(y)

Suzi
15-03-16, 11:07 PM
It's not something I know about specifically, but make sure you get some support whilst doing it...

EJ
15-03-16, 11:54 PM
Yes I've done it. I was on 175mg dothiepin and went to 45mg mirtzapine and lithium. I was taking all three. I had been on dothiepin for seventeen years but withdrawal was fairly quick with few side effects. I was weepy and a bit spaced out but that was it. I was taken off dothiepin because of long term use linked with heart problems. It felt like the fog had lifted.

Flo
16-03-16, 10:32 AM
Thanks so much for that EJ1. You've brightened my day! I am seeing Dr. tomorrow so will mention this....he's pretty savvy and listens...some only 'hear'! Thanks again. Will let you know what happens. Have a peaceful day.(handshake)

Starla
16-03-16, 10:59 AM
When I first tried AD's after my daughters birth, GP put me on Loferamine initially. I didn't feel any different at all on it. He insisted I persevered with it to give it time to work, which I did - for around 3 month. I ended up seeing a different dr one day by mistake in appointments for routine appointment and she said she couldn't understand why previous dr started me on tricyclics when there were much better options available & suggested I change to Prozac. I took for 6-8 months if I recall correctly. Felt its effects working but nothing major. Persevered really more than anything. Think it helped in that it gave me a better mood baseline and I managed to pick myself up from there.
When I went to see GP last week, first time I've felt need to seek advice since experience above, he asked about history. Reviewing meds above said trycyclic more appropriate during pregnancy/breast-feeding that SSRI & probably why Loferamine was my first port of call.
Have been prescribed Sertraline on this occasion, day 5. Keeping my fingers crossed this time it's the right thing for me.