PDA

View Full Version : VAT on private prescrptions?

rose
12-03-16, 06:08 PM
I just picked up my (thankfully quite cheap) private prescription for Diazepam from the pharmacy.
I noticed I had been charged VAT.
I am not charged VAT for my appointments so why would I be charged VAT for my prescribed meds? They are hardly a luxury.
Does anyone know if this is right?

OldMike
12-03-16, 06:19 PM
Why do you need a private prescription Rose is it because you're a private patient, can't you get a NHS prescription from you NHS doctor for your meds? Sorry to be so nosy.

Suzi
12-03-16, 06:19 PM
I have no idea and doing a google hasn't helped either!

rose
12-03-16, 06:28 PM
Yeah I googled before posting, I read an article published by the HMRC which didn't make any sense at all.

Mike - I see a private psychiatrist. My meds are prescribed as a mixture of NHS and private, depending on the medication and the speed at which I need it.

OldMike
12-03-16, 06:35 PM
I googled too Rose and read a few articles which seemed to suggest that private prescriptions were zero rated but there seemed a lot of ifs and buts and in the end I was a bit confused as to whether vat would or would not be added to a private prescription.

EJ
12-03-16, 06:47 PM
I see a private psychiatrist who would write to my GP who would write out an NHS prescription. When I have been ill it is sometimes quicker to have a private one. No idea on the VAT though.

rose
12-03-16, 06:48 PM
I think you probably saw the same articles as I did Mike, they were all talking about if you were in a hospital or nursing home though. I couldn't make head or tail of it.
I called the pharmacy and she said they get a quote and that includes the tax, so yes I paid tax on those meds. The meds were the same price as the previous two times anyway so I don't know why I am so anxious about it. I've just taken half of one of the pills just to calm down.

rose
12-03-16, 06:49 PM
I see a private psychiatrist who would write to my GP who would write out an NHS prescription. When I have been ill it is sometimes quicker to have a private one.
Yes, that's pretty much the case here.

magie06
12-03-16, 07:22 PM
Same here. Private doctors provide you with either a letter or a prescription. You just bring that to your GP and get the script onto a medical card (free) one.

EJ
12-03-16, 08:26 PM
We don't have free prescriptions in the UK Magie although some groups are exempt like over 60s. I have a pre payment which is about £10.00 a month for ten months and as many items as I like.

Piglet
12-03-16, 08:36 PM
It's only in England that you have to pay for prescriptions, Elizabeth. They're free in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

EJ
12-03-16, 09:08 PM
Thank you I was aware of that.

magie06
12-03-16, 09:31 PM
We've to pay 2.50 per item on prescription here to a max of 25 euro.

OldMike
12-03-16, 09:42 PM
We don't have free prescriptions in the UK Magie although some groups are exempt like over 60s. I have a pre payment which is about £10.00 a month for ten months and as many items as I like.

I'm in the over 60's group Elizabeth up to the age of 60 I was only on anti-depressants, when I passed 60 I was on on AD's. 3 separate BP meds (one of one type and 2 of another to get the dosage right) and statins so was glad they are free.

EJ
12-03-16, 09:50 PM
I'm in the over 60's group Elizabeth up to the age of 60 I was only on anti-depressants, when I passed 60 I was on on AD's. 3 separate BP meds (one of one type and 2 of another to get the dosage right) and statins so was glad they are free.

I'm fifty five next birthday and I am glad of the pre payment plan. It would be very expensive otherwise