PDA

View Full Version : Venlafaxine

All Time Low
03-03-16, 03:08 PM
Has anyone had any experience of Venlafaxine... my doc has agreed to a change in meds for my daughter as after 3 years on sertraline with not much improvement we are getting pretty desperate ?

Angie
03-03-16, 03:36 PM
Hi Hun, I take Venlafaxine, when I first took it, it did make me tired and lethargic, also have a dry mouth, but those symptoms lessened after about 3 or 4 weeks,
when I had an increase in my dosage they did come back again for a couple of weeks then lessened again.

But please remember that everyone is different and everyone will react differently to medication, so your daughter may not get the same side effects that I did etc.
The side effects should lessen over a few weeks aswell, but if the side effects are to much for your daughter then she needs to go back to see her dr x

Suzi
03-03-16, 04:44 PM
My husband has recently been changed from floxetine/prozac to venlafexine and it's helping him. He basically slept the first weekend, then sleeps a lot each time it's been increased. But, he's much more stable, the panic attacks have lessened and he's not as paranoid.

john d
03-03-16, 06:05 PM
I was on venlafaxine for a good 18 months up until about 5 weeks ago. I've now gone back to fluoxetine.at first the ven helped me a lot but after a year or so my insomnia came back so I went back to the fluoxetine which was the first antidepressant I was put on,I've pretty much been thru all the ssri's and snri's + mirtazapine at some point.I found venlafaxine and fluoxetine to be the most beneficial. But every one is different

stephenb
03-03-16, 06:38 PM
hi, i'm on venlafaxine and mirtazapine and it helps me with my depression/anxiety to a degree. I take 75 at night and 75 in the morning. I was on 75 only and i took it at bedtime and it helped a lot, i have had a few issues recently and had a blip, but generally it is a succesful treatment.

All Time Low
03-03-16, 07:10 PM
Thanks all .... she was prescribed Fluoxetine aged 15 and changed to Sertraline just before her 17th birthday (off licence as it is not licensed for under 18's but we were pretty desperate at this point). Had her CPA review with psychiatrist today (once a year yep thats helpful) and at least they agreed to try something different.

Piglet
03-03-16, 07:22 PM
I used to be on Venlafaxine, but it didn't really help me. The main thing I remember about it is feeling awful if I forgot to take it one day; I had to take it in the morning, and by lunchtime I thought I was dying.

Paula
04-03-16, 05:39 PM
I've been on venlafaxine (375mg) for years. Piglets right, you have to be very careful to take all doses at the right time as discontinuation symptoms happen quickly and are rough. BUT it's a very effective drug for a lot of people, including me