PDA

View Full Version : Bridge and Mahjong

OldMike
23-12-15, 12:19 PM
I know they seem vastly different games.

Just up the road from me run by U3A (University of the Third Age) on Thursdays 2-4pm with an interval for tea or coffee, they hold beginner bridge and mahjong sessions these are just for fun and are more a social thing.

It's closed over Xmas and the New Year and starts up again Thursday 7th January.

Spoke to the lady who organizes it and mahjong is at one end of the hall and bridge at the other, she said come along and watch and dive in when you are ready, she said we don't teach these games you just pick it up as you go along.

I've played whist years ago and bridge is similar in terms of trumps and winning tricks but there is a bidding process and the winner of that has to make the tricks they bid for.

Mahjong is a bit like rummy where you get groups and pairs etc, would I be able to come to grips with the different tile marking as the look like Chinese characters?

Have any of you guys play bridge or mahjong.

Just post your thoughts here.

Thanks Mike

Jaquaia
23-12-15, 01:44 PM
I've played mahjong on my phone. There are lots of free apps for it and I think there are some free ones you can play online too. I really enjoy it but wouldn't have a clue how to set the game up myself.

Suzi
23-12-15, 02:15 PM
There are loads of free mahjong games - give it a go! Never played bridge, but I think it sounds like a great idea to get you out of the house and meeting new people.

purplefan
23-12-15, 02:20 PM
I like twister. Anyone want a game of twister?

OldMike
23-12-15, 02:26 PM
Thanks all, I'll be going there in the new year (unless it's blowing a hurricane), according to the lady who runs it there's a few people with disabilities and a few younger ones who go too, so looks like a good mix.

Suzi
23-12-15, 07:26 PM
I think that sounds like a great plan!

purplefan
24-12-15, 02:19 PM
it sounds like a good idea mike and it is a good way to get sociable. Playing cards used to be a huge pass time in London town back in the day.

OldMike
24-12-15, 02:30 PM
Looked at Mahjong on Wikipedia and it looks quite complicated.

I think bridge may be the better option, I'll keep you posted. (nod)

Years ago my granny used to go to whist drives at the British Legion.

magie06
24-12-15, 02:52 PM
My grandparents used to play bridge. They would sponsor prizes and have a cup named in their honour. They would play a lot during the year. They played on Monday Wednesday and Friday. Then they played through the Easter weekend all weekend which would drive me mad. If they weren't playing bridge which I never understood, we would all play a card game called rummy. I'm not sure if anyone plays cards anymore.

OldMike
24-12-15, 02:59 PM
Magie some people take bridge very seriously, I'm thinking of playing it once a week more as a social thing. The woman who runs it says more serious players soon move on.

purplefan
24-12-15, 03:11 PM
i am looking at the rules of bridge and find it quite difficult but i think it is one of those games that the only way to understand the rules is to start playing.
When i was a kid there was a rumor that Mrs. cooper in number 23 used to play strip poker. it went all over poplar and my mum warned my dad not to go near the place.

Suzi
24-12-15, 03:36 PM
That made me (rofl)

OldMike
28-12-15, 03:14 PM
Just been looking at the rules of bridge and mahjong, both seem rather complicated.

Here's a link on Wikipedia to bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contract_bridge

Bidding seems a tad complicated.

Here's a link on Wikipedia to mahjong https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong

All those different tiles are most confusing.

Think I'll need a brain transplant to cope with either of those games. (doh)

magie06
28-12-15, 04:16 PM
Mayjong is just matching tiles isn't it. Or is that another game. If it is matching tiles then that's easy.

OldMike
28-12-15, 04:46 PM
Mayjong is just matching tiles isn't it. Or is that another game. If it is matching tiles then that's easy.

Maggie the tile matching game is called Mahjong Solitaire https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong_solitaire

Whereas the Chinese multiplayer tile game called Mahjong is totally different (they use the same tiles that's all) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahjong

magie06
28-12-15, 04:54 PM
Oh sorry. I am mistaken.

Suzi
28-12-15, 09:57 PM
I only knew the solitaire game too!

S deleted
28-12-15, 10:36 PM
My nan taught me to play whist and bridge when I was a youngster but I cant remember how to play now. My dad was a cribbage player and I used to play pontoon and rummy with my sister back in the day

OldMike
29-12-15, 02:03 AM
My nan taught me to play whist and bridge when I was a youngster but I cant remember how to play now. My dad was a cribbage player and I used to play pontoon and rummy with my sister back in the day

I've played whist, pontoon, rummy and used to play cribbage way back during the lunch break when I worked nights at AEI in Trafford Park way back in the 1970's.