PDA

View Full Version : Meds that don't cause weight-gain

Lee-SW
14-12-15, 12:42 PM
Is there such a thing? I know everybody reacts differently to medication. Over the years I've been given Prozac, Seroxat, Venaflaxine, Citalopram ...

The drugs have always[U] helped and often times, given me back my life, making me feel contented, creative and confident. However, I've [U]always gained weight; usually about 1- 1.5 stones and it only makes the depression worse. People with low esteem are often very body-conscious and it is the one factor that's kept me off meds for the last two years.

I've had doctors say to me, more or less, 'be fat or be miserable'. Either that, or 'there's no evidence to back this up'. Thousands of people on forums like this is evidence enough, surely.

Now I'm very low and don't know where to turn. I'm seeing and alternative herbalist in the hope that it may help.

OldMike
14-12-15, 01:02 PM
I'm on sertraline and the leaflet with it gives possible side effects as weight gain or weight loss (they're covering both possibilities there) personally I've not noticed any change in weight.
Different drugs affect people differently so I can't really be of any help to you. What does your GP say?

magie06
14-12-15, 01:11 PM
I've been on different meds for depression in the past. They all caused me to gain weight. I wish they wouldn't but when your psydoc tells you that you will loose it all once you are better. But unfortunately it's a lot harder to loose it than gain it. I've just done a year of weight watchers when I didn't lose a pound. Well, I'd lose a pound and gain 2 and be the same and lost 2. It has gone like that since this time last year. My leader says it's because of my meds, while the girls in tdc say it's what I'm eating. I don't know what to do.

Suzi
14-12-15, 01:47 PM
At the end of the day, I'd rather have the weight gain than the pain...

OldMike
14-12-15, 01:50 PM
At the end of the day, I'd rather have the weight gain than the pain...

I'd go with that too. (nod)

rose
14-12-15, 02:20 PM
During my first breakdown I think I lost 3 stone. I just stopped eating (I mean pretty much entirely stopped) and did daily walks. Previous to that I was on Sertraline and Citalopram (not together!) and saw very gradual weight gain over the years which was more likely connected to age and lifestyle than meds.

The last two years I've gained 5 stone. Venlafaxine made me eat. Quetiapine made me eat. I've gained a stone since I started Pregabalin two months ago.

I have another condition which is exacerbated by weight gain, its really quite dangerous for me to gain weight.

For me, its a difficult balancing act.

OldMike
14-12-15, 02:46 PM
Biggest change to my weight was when it was found I had high sugar.
I cut out munching choc digestives, crisps, cakes (except for the occasional custard tart), sweet sugary fizzy pop. I lost 3 stone and my GP sent me hospital to see why I'd lost so much weight turns out it was just a change in lifestyle. Went down from 42" waist size to 34"

rose
14-12-15, 02:51 PM
Its sugar that I crave. Mainly chocolate. So far my pancreas is keeping up, but I am forever worried how long it will be able to cope.

Paula
14-12-15, 02:51 PM
My meds are hugely influential on my weight. I lose weight and gain weight totally dependent on which combination of meds I'm on. I once lost 3 stone in as many months, just by coming off mirtazapine. But that's not important to me. Treating my various conditions is what matters, whatever it takes, as the alternative is literally unthinkable

OldMike
14-12-15, 02:55 PM
My meds are hugely influential on my weight. I lose weight and gain weight totally dependent on which combination of meds I'm on. I once lost 3 stone in as many months, just by coming off mirtazapine. But that's not important to me. Treating my various conditions is what matters, whatever it takes, as the alternative is literally unthinkable

I agree Paula the main thing is to get your conditions treated and not bother too much about changes in weight.

April_is_beautiful
15-12-15, 05:20 PM
It's strange I actually lose weight on Prozac. A former friend who suffered from bulemia told me they put people with the condition on prozac as it helps keep their weight down. Might be total BS though.

rose
15-12-15, 06:25 PM
I lost weight on prozac too, but I am not certain if it was the meds or the breakdown I had.