PDA

View Full Version : Tips for Sertraline

Phil0s0raptor
02-11-15, 09:37 PM
Hi all,

I got my prescription for Sertraline today (for anxiety and depression) and am starting on 25mg because I had a really bad reaction to Citalopram before. I had to come off after a week because of suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, sickness etc. Hopefully easing in with a low dose will help this time but I am still really nervous about the side effects. Has anyone tried both Citalopram and Sertraline, and could tell me about their experience? I know everyone reacts differently but I just want to get an idea of the difference between the two.

I also am not sure if I should take my first dose tonight before bed or in the morning. I had to take Citalopram at night because I would start feeling 'high' (but not in a good way) during the day if I took it in the morning. Not sure if Sertraline has similar effect. Any recommendations?

S deleted
02-11-15, 09:51 PM
I had a bad reaction to citalopram when I first took it and have taken sertraline in the past too. I didn't know they did 25mg. I thought 50 was the lowest. I never saw much difference until I was upped to 150mg and I was a bit spaced out initially but soon settled.

Suzi
02-11-15, 11:13 PM
My husband had a horrible time on Citalopram, but didn't try sertraline as fluoxetine helped him the most..

Phil0s0raptor
02-11-15, 11:17 PM
I have to bite half a 50mg tablet :)
The psychiatrist said that it won't be strong at all at that dosage, but i still have a lot of anxiety about it because of how crazy i felt on citalopram...
Glad to hear you settled into it! Why did you stop taking, if you dont mind me asking? Do you feel better now with the help of medication?

Phil0s0raptor
02-11-15, 11:19 PM
It's great that your husband found something that works :)
Did he have side effects with fluoxetine as well?

rose
02-11-15, 11:25 PM
I've tried both. I don't think it matters if you take it at night or in the morning. If you feel more comfortable taking it at night, then do that. Its a straight swap from Citalopram to Sertraline, right?

My experience was that Citalopram worked for me for years, but it stopped working and I switched to Sertraline. I had no side effects from Sertraline, but very little positive benefit either. I switched back to Citalopram and had a terrible reaction. But everyone's experience is different; when I switched back to Citalopram I was already very unwell.

Phil0s0raptor
02-11-15, 11:38 PM
ok I will give it a go in the evenings first then and see how it feels.

It's really strange and interesting how the body reacts to these things, and also that everyone has different experiences with it! Did you stick with Citalopram, or did you find something else that works for you?

I was really shaken up by experience with Citalopram so have had a couple months break. Unfortunately my moods just kept getting worse, so I have to try meds now. It will be hard to know if any anxiety is from the Sertraline or from my fear of the side effects :P

rose
03-11-15, 12:42 AM
No I didn't stick with Citalopram, I came off it and became even more unwell.
Currently I am on Fluoxetine, Pregabalin and Quetiapine and doing much better.

Try not to worry about side effects. Serious side effects are very rare, and a bit of discomfort at first is worth it if its the right medication for you.

Phil0s0raptor
03-11-15, 01:02 AM
I'm glad that combination is working for you :)

It'll be hard not to worry until the meds kick in #Catch22 :P

Took first one a couple hours ago and so far feeling ok, so fingers crossed no drama tonight! :)

S deleted
03-11-15, 05:58 AM
I have to bite half a 50mg tablet :)
The psychiatrist said that it won't be strong at all at that dosage, but i still have a lot of anxiety about it because of how crazy i felt on citalopram...
Glad to hear you settled into it! Why did you stop taking, if you dont mind me asking? Do you feel better now with the help of medication?

At that low dose you will barely notice you've taken it I expect. I went through 6 weeks of hell in citalopram, sweats, shakes paranoia, nausea, headaches, the list seemed endless but my gp insisted I stuck with it. The side effects finally subsided but my mood never improved. The dose was increased in stages to 60mg but still had little or no impact so I was switched to sertraline, Starting on 50mg and slowly worked up to 200mg. The effects never seemed to last long so I was changed again to fluoxetine, then back to citalopram again which scared me, and eventually Duloxetine which i feel the benefits of with just a couple of days.ive had the dose tweaked and used other ADs alongside it (amitriptyline, imipramine,and currently mirtazepine) so have tried a lot of different meds over the years but this combo seems to work for me.

I hope you get on ok with sertraline but at 25mg I doubt you'll see any benefits but the Dr is doing the right thing be starting on a low dose to try and reduce the chances of bad side effects so try not to worry.

Paula
03-11-15, 02:43 PM
I've got a combination you wouldn't believe! Side effects do generally pass but it's trial and error with meds. Hopefully Sertraline will do the trick for you :)

OldMike
24-11-15, 12:01 PM
I take 50mg of sertraline a day to ward off the worst effects of SAD (50mg every other day wasn't quite enough).

For me it took months to take effect, was beginning to think it would never work then it kicked in and things started to improve.

As Paula said it is just trial and error.

Phil0s0raptor
24-11-15, 12:46 PM
I'm glad it worked for you in the end :)
I will stick with it, already seen some improvement so hoping it gets even better

Suzi
24-11-15, 03:21 PM
Glad you are seeing improvement.

Chihuahua Mum
02-12-15, 03:59 PM
I don't have any experience of taking anything other than Sertraline. My advice would be to start it at the weekend as it gave me the most awful diarroeah. It only lasted for the day ( I still have a bit of a dodgy tum after taking it for 4 months but only first thing in the morning). This was not good as I was at work at the time!

rose
02-12-15, 04:24 PM
I used to take Sertraline, and you have just reminded me about the dodgy tummy part. I used to take Imodium every day (prescribed by the GP).

OldMike
02-12-15, 08:51 PM
I used to take Sertraline, and you have just reminded me about the dodgy tummy part. I used to take Imodium every day (prescribed by the GP).

That reminded me of many years ago when I first started taking Sertraline I seem to recall I suffered from bad heartburn think the doc prescribed Gaviscon not sure if that's spelled correctly. I'd completely forgotten that till I saw this post.

batdaunao
13-01-16, 10:16 AM
My experience was that Citalopram worked for me for years, but it stopped working and I switched to Sertraline.