PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Who fans

purplefan
17-09-15, 11:05 AM
I was a bit disjointed in the new dr.who but i am really looking forward to seeing the new series on Saturday. I am desperet to find out who the character Maisie Williams is playing.
She obviously knows him and i think she is his Granddaughter susan foreman who we last seen in the william Hartnel Dr.who and the Daleks invasion of Earth. She called the Dr. "Old man" and he is surprised to see her and in the book Susan called him "Old man" at the end.

Jaquaia
17-09-15, 11:11 AM
I'm almost wetting myself in excitement! Would be so cool to see Susan back. As long as they don't do another episode like Love and Monsters, that was awful!

purplefan
17-09-15, 12:27 PM
I quite enjoyed that. Fair enough it was not up to the usual standard but i really warmed to Elton pope who ended up being in love with a piece of concrete.
The first series with Eccleston needed time to settle it was a bit hit and miss but i sis not get the whole Bad wolf thing. Good ending though.
I hope we go back to basic in this series. I want to see good old stories and not to get bogged down on special effects. Looking forward to seeing some new monsters.

Jaquaia
17-09-15, 01:11 PM
I loved The Girl In The Fireplace. That was an awesome episode. But what's with the obsession with the daleks? I know they're a huge part of Who lore and I know I've not seen a lot of the older episodes but surely there are other planets and other races he can meet?

purplefan
17-09-15, 01:22 PM
Totally agree. I do hope that will happen in this series. I guess as you say it is lore but there were far better monsters. Ice warriors for example and i was genuinely scared by the autons.

Jaquaia
17-09-15, 01:49 PM
I really enjoyed 42 out of the newer ones. I only have a handful of the older ones so don't really have a lot to go one. An Unearthly Child was amazing though

purplefan
17-09-15, 02:53 PM
I hope we get to see a more Darker doctor in this series. The story with Matt smith and John Hurt in the name of the doctor was brilliant. More stories like that please.

Suzi
17-09-15, 03:11 PM
I'm still not sold on Cappaldi tbh... I love Doctor Who and we watch it as a family, but I still think David Tennant is "our Doctor" itms?

Jaquaia
17-09-15, 03:19 PM
Derek Jacobi as the Master! He was brilliant but John Simm brought that sense of insanity to the role.

purplefan
17-09-15, 08:59 PM
I'm still not sold on Cappaldi tbh... I love Doctor Who and we watch it as a family, but I still think David Tennant is "our Doctor" itms?

I liked matt smith. Thought he was brilliant.

purplefan
17-09-15, 09:03 PM
Derek Jacobi as the Master! He was brilliant but John Simm brought that sense of insanity to the role.

I forget his name but the original master was brilliant played him like a pantomime villain but it worked really well.
Kate omara as the master was pretty good. But John simms was breathtaking.
I really like the stories and as suzi said I am still not sure of capaldi but I am willing to give him a chance. I really liked John hurt.

Jaquaia
17-09-15, 10:42 PM
Roger Delgado. Had to Google it as it was bugging me! He was very good!

purplefan
18-09-15, 12:22 PM
Roger Delgado. Had to Google it as it was bugging me! He was very good!

phew yes, thats who it was. He had a very simple costume but he played the character in a really dark way and that's how the master is to me. void of emotion and feeling.
A lot of the villians in the 1970s were played the same way because of him. Like servalan in blakes 7. She was so brilliant. Cold, vengeful and mercilessness. They did not try to put a human side in her, because there was none and neither was the master. he just did not care. Thats why i think John Simms was brilliant.
1 more sleep to go. (party)

purplefan
18-09-15, 02:01 PM
gutted. I just get used to a character and warm to her and now i find out she is leaving. Why cant the doctor hold on to his Lovers/ sorry companions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/x5dt5lHn9jM0CMxdpRMP71/ive-filmed-my-last-scenes-it-was-emotional-jenna-coleman-tells-nick-grimshaw-shes-leaving-doctor-who

Jaquaia
19-09-15, 07:22 AM
Oooh! It's tonight!!! Yay! So excited!!!!

That was exactly it for me with John Simm. That and the hint of lunacy he played him with. It was very cleverly played.

Paula
19-09-15, 10:07 AM
gutted. I just get used to a character and warm to her and now i find out she is leaving. Why cant the doctor hold on to his Lovers/ sorry companions.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/x5dt5lHn9jM0CMxdpRMP71/ive-filmed-my-last-scenes-it-was-emotional-jenna-coleman-tells-nick-grimshaw-shes-leaving-doctor-who

Apparently she had to be convinced to do this series, so it's not too much of a surprise

Jaquaia
19-09-15, 08:33 PM
What did you think pf? I liked it! Loved all the nods to the older stories!

Suzi
19-09-15, 09:28 PM
I loved it too!!!! Proper Doctor Who! I wasn't keen at all on the last series, but this was a brilliant start!!

Jaquaia
19-09-15, 10:03 PM
I missed a lot of the last series but tonights was awesome! Can't wait for next weeks.

purplefan
19-09-15, 10:31 PM
Ill watch it after M.O.T.D as i was down the footy today. Looking forward to it.

purplefan
19-09-15, 11:28 PM
spoiler possible next post

purplefan
19-09-15, 11:31 PM
I just watched it. WOW! That was such a great episode. I think the next few weeks we are going to have a trip to all the times the Doctor had a chance to kill the daleks.
The references to the superb Genesis of the daleks is the reason why i think that. And i also think i am correct in thinking his Granddaughter is coming back also.
I really like steven moffat he iis such a great writer and i am really looking forward to the next 11 weeks.

Suzi
20-09-15, 10:34 AM
It was awesome!

purplefan
20-09-15, 12:50 PM
I loved the Joke with the guitar and the axe (guitar) in medieval Britian. The doc can sure play.

Paula
20-09-15, 09:29 PM
Finally, I can look at this thread. I loved it! Hubby not so much but he's never liked dr Who as much as me (I'm a bit of a nerd lol)

Jenna Coleman is awesome, she's said they really worked hard to decide how to finish her time and it's going to happen during this series, not the end, I think.

purplefan
20-09-15, 11:00 PM
She has already been shot by the daleks along with missey. But i think as i said there might be some flash backs, but you never know with Dr.who.

Paula
20-09-15, 11:01 PM
Or did they? Maybe Davros was showing something photoshopped to the Dr???

purplefan
20-09-15, 11:26 PM
Thats the thing about having a space time machine. You can change it. I think i a,m starting to warm to peter in the role. I do miss matt though. By far my fav dr who ever.

Jarre
21-09-15, 08:04 AM
Same PF I thnk David Tennant got the Dr right as it was intended to be he was ble to cleanly balance humour, compassion, anger and solace perfectly. After I watched the new episode yesterday I cn say it was a much better start and writing than last season was.

purplefan
25-09-15, 02:12 PM
I am looking forward to tomorrow night. it is one of the few shows that i actually enjoy sitting down to watch. Were on skaro tomorrow.
It was intresting during last weeks flash back to see part of the war between the thals and the dals. (bot of a reference from the Time machine there i think)
thals have become this peacable race after the wars and live on vegitations while the dals (daleks Went into the city and Davros Developed a metalic body and became evil.
I am excited about why Davros became so evil. Was it because of his experience in being left by the doctor in the middle of the hand mind field? (great idea)

Jaquaia
25-09-15, 02:50 PM
All I know was I spent so much time oohing and explaining the nods back to old stories that I drove everyone else crazy! (giggle)

Roll on tomorrow! (party)

Suzi
25-09-15, 05:36 PM
Oh yes!!

Paula
25-09-15, 05:37 PM
Can't wait!

purplefan
25-09-15, 08:08 PM
And strictly is on tonight at 9pm. going to be an awesome weekend on the telly.

purplefan
26-09-15, 09:12 PM
Wow :8) The doc has sonic glasses?

Jaquaia
26-09-15, 09:15 PM
I forgot about it ;( I can't believe I forgot about it! ;(;(;(

purplefan
26-09-15, 09:20 PM
I forgot about it ;( I can't believe I forgot about it! ;(;(;(

its on the iplayer. I wont say anything till tomorrow.

Jaquaia
26-09-15, 09:41 PM
It's ok pf. I don't mind spoilers. Just hadn't realised how much of a mess my head was in! My laptop has died too so may have to wait for the repeat tomorrow

Suzi
26-09-15, 10:15 PM
It's well worth a watch Jaq! We'll keep quiet until tomorrow ! :)

S deleted
26-09-15, 11:12 PM
I only watch on iplayer. Since I spend all my time streaming stuff online or watching DVDs I cant justify the cost of a tv license.

purplefan
26-09-15, 11:52 PM
Tomorrow on BBC1 at 1:15pm they are showing both episodes together.
I am going to watch it. Brilliant episode.

Jaquaia
27-09-15, 04:07 PM
Dodgems (rofl)(rofl)(rofl)

Jaquaia
27-09-15, 04:45 PM
Wow! That was a little bit good!

purplefan
27-09-15, 05:13 PM
only a little bit?

Jaquaia
27-09-15, 05:30 PM
I'm going for understated pf! ;) it was amazing!

Suzi
27-09-15, 07:20 PM
Wasn't it brilliant!!! Loved it!!

Mira
27-09-15, 07:41 PM
How does one get into this show? Is there a tutorial on what to watch first?

Jaquaia
27-09-15, 08:08 PM
I started watching about 4 episodes in to the Chris Eccleston series. They do pretty well as stand alone episodes.

Suzi
27-09-15, 09:25 PM
I started watching properly with Chris Eccleston too!

Jarre
27-09-15, 10:55 PM
I'll just leave this.....

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/B819IO.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/ipB819IOj)

purplefan
27-09-15, 11:20 PM
There is one thing i am puzzled about
When Missy got clara into the Dalek shell and she was talking and she was sounding like a dalek. Was clara giving the daleks compassion or was clara turning into a dalek?
Loved the dalek sewer where the old dalek go to live.

Jarre
27-09-15, 11:38 PM
Shes the impossible girl remember and also remember where we first got introduced to her....

purplefan
28-09-15, 02:56 AM
Shes the impossible girl remember and also remember where we first got introduced to her....

I thought that was Amy pond. My memory must be slipping. I need to go and watch a few episodes again.

Suzi
28-09-15, 11:34 AM
OO I'd forgotten that twist Jarre!!! Makes it even more clever!!

Paula
28-09-15, 11:40 AM
There is one thing i am puzzled about
When Missy got clara into the Dalek shell and she was talking and she was sounding like a dalek. Was clara giving the daleks compassion or was clara turning into a dalek?
Loved the dalek sewer where the old dalek go to live.

Davros gave the daleks the concept of mercy as the Dr went back to kill off the hand mines and helped boy Davros to safety and showed him mercy.

The impossible girl was Clara as, at the end of Matt Smiths tenure, she got into the Drs time stream to save him at different times from the first Dr Who onwards - hence why he kept seeing her as different people over millennium

Jaquaia
03-10-15, 09:10 PM
Well that was a bit creepy!

S deleted
04-10-15, 01:36 AM
Just about to sit and watch it

Suzi
04-10-15, 10:49 AM
Definitely creepy!!

purplefan
04-10-15, 11:41 PM
I thought it too creepy for kids to watch. I think k the writing for Dr.who has become a bit darker. I wonder if they are trying to make it more for adults rather than the family format that it has been. It was announced that there is yet another spin off series for teenagers on CBBC. I hope I am wrong.

Suzi
05-10-15, 08:02 AM
There's been a dramatic dive in ratings so they are thinking of making it more like Sherlock with fewer episodes but longer ones and still do the Christmas special. I'm still not in the Cappaldi camp yet - still not convinced as him as the doctor...

S deleted
05-10-15, 09:49 AM
Yeah but he had a hard act to follow with the previous doctor who was so popular

Paula
05-10-15, 10:39 AM
They've scripted in him with a bit more of a sense of humour this season, which Matt had in spades. I think they screwed up last season making him so serious

I prefer this season to last

purplefan
05-10-15, 11:57 AM
Last season was a get to know him kind of thing. Remember when Matt smith first got the job a lot of whovians were up in arms and saying he will never be a proper timelord.
How wrong were they? And that was after David Tennant.
I hope to see a more darker Dr this season plus a lot more new monsters. I am getting a bit fed up with the Daleks and cyber men.

Suzi
05-10-15, 01:44 PM
This season is much better than the last - I really didn't enjoy the last series at all

The_Scientist
06-10-15, 08:21 PM
this season is great, but death theme seems a little heavy handed, but i guess i should epect that by now. i've really enjoyed all 3 so far though

purplefan
06-10-15, 11:04 PM
OMG! Nice to see you back Mr. Scientist.

purplefan
18-10-15, 03:49 PM
I watched it last night and i was not very impressed. OK so i was wrong about what roll masisie was playing. But here was something just lacking in the story.
Can you drink testosterone from a bottle? I just dont know, there was something lacking.

Suzi
18-10-15, 09:26 PM
I agree, it wasn't as good as the last 2...

S deleted
25-10-15, 01:57 PM
I don't like the whole dressing dogs up thing but thought this was amusing

www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHaErZNftdg

Hugo-agogo
25-10-15, 04:53 PM
I didn't think last weeks episode quite worked either. It just all felt a bit unbalanced. But this weeks was a bit better. I like Capaldi, but agree it's taken him a while to find the character.

purplefan
25-10-15, 07:31 PM
I am going to watch the episode now. Is That girl going to be his now assistant then?

Jarre
25-10-15, 07:58 PM
No idea but I think judging by the end its deffinately not the last we'd see of her.

Suzi
25-10-15, 10:05 PM
Don't know!

Jaquaia
25-10-15, 10:07 PM
Apparently not but she is in the next episode too.

purplefan
25-10-15, 11:49 PM
It was a bit of a weird one. I think Highlander should be looking for some royalties here. So she spent eternity going through time just living day by day. I can see how sad that would be but it paralleled the highlander story. I still think the Dr. will need a new assistant by the way he reacted to Clara calling him "old man" perhaps with his experience with. Whats her name it suddenly dawned on him HE IS AN "OLD MAN"

Hugo-agogo
29-11-15, 06:55 AM
https://youtu.be/bFOkMoLI-PU

Paula
29-11-15, 09:41 AM
I've decided Peter Capaldi is a far better actor when he does serious, intense scenes than when he tries to be a comic. I loved last nights episode - and for him to carry a whole episode on his own was incredible

Hugo-agogo
29-11-15, 11:22 AM
Totally agree, I missed last weeks episode so watched it on i-player just before yesterdays, and he is really good. It's taken a while for him to get to this point tho

Paula
29-11-15, 01:42 PM
Yeh tho Matt Smith was a very hard act to follow

Suzi
29-11-15, 02:21 PM
Completely agree! Such a shame that his first series was a "big bit pants" imho.. Much prefer him in this series!

purplefan
29-11-15, 04:05 PM
I am really warming to Peter i think he is the best Dr since he returned IMHO. He can bring out so many different facets of the Dr. personality that i love watching.
Peter as the dR means you just dont know what your going to get each week.

purplefan
16-12-15, 05:00 PM
Ho no The Doctor has got his foot trapped on the train line and a model train is hurtling round the corner at him.
I cant look!!!

Dam, why do they always leave it at the exciting bit? (rofl)

Suzi
16-12-15, 08:15 PM
Lol!!!

purplefan
17-12-15, 05:06 PM
You know what. I think the stories in the older Dr.who were far superior than the new ones. I think the new ones tend to rely on special effects to keep the audience hooked. But that episode with Tom Baker was well written and although the Train was clearly a model, it still worked well. You can catch some of the old Dr. who on Horror channel at 2:30pm and 8pm i think each weekday.

Suzi
17-12-15, 08:58 PM
I completely agree!

The_Scientist
21-12-15, 09:30 PM
i have to say, i think Heaven Sent (the one in the castle when it's just him) was Capaldi's best performance so far, he was amazing!

purplefan
22-12-15, 12:53 PM
i have to say, i think Heaven Sent (the one in the castle when it's just him) was Capaldi's best performance so far, he was amazing!

Yup. Have to agree. I here he is going to do a few audio books and a drama for radio 4. Look forward to that.