PDA

View Full Version : Reducing venalfaxine

shine
10-09-15, 02:40 PM
So my physc agreed I can drop the dose a little since I have been stable now for around 2 year. I was on 225mg venalfaxine xl and now reducing it by 37.5mg. I am trying so so so hard to push this horrible withdrawal symptoms to the side but omg it's hard and I haven't felt this crap for ages. It's only day 3 since I started the reduction in dose and I feel like somebody is squeezing my head in to cause this masive headache. My bowls aren't great (enough information from that). I feel dizzy and nauseous but I am drinking loads of water and managing to eat. I am hoping I can manage these symptoms and they don't get worse because I can't cope with it any worse and I don't want to go back to higher dosage. I am not coming off the tablets but just reducing strength because I don't like the side effects and want to see if I can manage on a lower strength. I have been on venalfaxine for four year (other ads before that) and it's probably been around 3 years on 225mg. The maximum dosage previous was 375mg. Now I need to focus. Stay positive and keep reminding myself that any side effects I am getting now is withdrawal and it will get better. Today I have felt so miserable and withdrawn. I asked my boss if could leave work early and I did. Told her I wasnt feeling well but didn't tell her reason. I said if I am not better I won't be in tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice or tips on how to cope for the next few days of these horrible side effects/ withdrawal feelings.

Pen
10-09-15, 02:53 PM
Hi Shine, I cant help except to say I hope you get through OK. I have been considering going back to the doc and asking to lower my dosage of Venalfaxine so I am a bit concerned about the side effects you are getting cutting back!!

Paula
10-09-15, 06:13 PM
I seem to recall, at one stage, being given something in hospital to get me over taking my venlafaxine away in one week. Perhaps, if it doesn't ease, talk to your Dr about help?

rose
10-09-15, 06:15 PM
I think its probably the hardest one to come off of. Just don't rush it, that's my advice. Get stable on each dose before dropping again.
Good luck!

shine
10-09-15, 07:00 PM
Thanks all. I definitely will be reducing very very slowly and it will probably take me years. One of the main reasons for wanting to reduce is because I have been getting terrible headaches sometimes debilitating. So far today I have pushed through. Managed the school run and rotas for kids after school clubs etc. The psych doesn't know if the headaches I get are from the venalfaxine or something else. He said they are tension headaches. I also have been very fatigued and struggling with my sleep pattern. I don't feel depressed but I do get stressed. I think it's my lifestyle. But sometimes I get headaches even when not stressed and relaxed so it didn't make sense. I see my physc now every 6 months unless need to go sooner. My appointment two weeks ago was bought forward a month because I needed to speak to him about my meds. I am going to give this a week and if these symptoms not improve by Wed I will call phys or gp for advice. I suppose I can back on here because I don't you will all understand me and some would have also experienced these symptoms. I don't know anyone in RL I can talk to that will understand what it is I am feeling right now.

Suzi
10-09-15, 08:53 PM
Hi hunni! It's lovely to see you!
I know that when Marc was reducing off another med he was told to take the high dose on day 1, then reduced day 2, then high, then reduced for a week. Then high, low, low, high, low, low for a week, then high, low, low, low for 2 weeks continuing till completely reduced..

Angie
10-09-15, 08:59 PM
Hey hun long time no see, take it slow and stay stable on the lower dose before trying to lower again. I find keeping occupied and busy helps alot

shine
18-09-15, 02:30 PM
Thanks all.
So this week the withdrawal symptoms have been easier which is a good sign. I have decided to do a headache diary and document type of headache I am getting. How many times a day I am taking ibroprofen or paracetamol and any other symptoms. My headaches and fatigue are getting me down but I am pushing through it and trying my best to get on as normal as possible. My manager is very supportive and I explained that I have currently lowered my ad dosage. The thing is I am not going to know if the headaches and fatigue are symptoms of venalfaxine until I am completely off them. I have a feeling it's going to take me years to come off them. I am also on preglabin and not coming off that. Who knows. But a diary is a good way forward

Suzi
18-09-15, 02:54 PM
It sounds sensible to me..

rose
18-09-15, 03:39 PM
I am currently coming off Venlafaxine, I have retreated to bed! I had a weird headache earlier where it felt like there was a brick sitting on my head. Good luck with the reduction!

shine
19-09-15, 10:41 PM
Hi Rose. Have they given you anything to help with the withdrawal. How long have you been withdrawing for. These headaches are horrible and debilitating. Hope you are ok

rose
19-09-15, 11:44 PM
Hello, yes they have given me Valium. I was on higher doses before and went down to 37.5 for months. Now I am just withdrawing from 37.5mg. Doing ok I think after a few days of feeling a bit like I have flu. How are you doing?

shine
12-10-15, 04:00 AM
It's been over a month since I reduced my dosage. I am now on 187.5mg a day. I am proud of myself for doing it. The first two weeks were the hardest but I stuck with it. The thing is I am absolutely dreading anymore reduction so I think I will remain on this dose for a while until I am ready. The headaches are still not great. I have a constant pain now at top right of head. I have no idea if the headaches are caused by the venalfaxine or a few other possibilities I am investigating. But they are really getting to me and sometimes it's a battle to not let it get me down or stop me with my plans. I am awake now with this head pain and hoping to get back to sleep soon.

How are you managing Rose, with your withdrawal.

rose
12-10-15, 09:34 AM
Hi Shine, I am off it totally. I was on the lowest dose. I was told it would take a week to withdraw from it; that week was not too bad, then a week later it hit me and I was crying, really anxious, in a total state. I was also starting another medication so it was double trouble.

Do painkillers help with the headache?

Suzi
12-10-15, 11:05 AM
Are you able to take painkillers for your headache?
Are you talking to your GP etc about this constant headache?

shine
12-10-15, 03:55 PM
Wow Rose, well done for managing it. I know it was hard but you did it. That second week sounds thought.

Yes Suzi, I am in contact with GP. I had a blood test Fri and having eye test tomorrow just to rule anything else out. Today I had acupuncture (reduced rate through work). I had about 8 sessions last spring/ summer and it really helped so I thought it's worth another try.

Suzi
12-10-15, 06:45 PM
Glad that acupuncture helps! Glad you're being totally checked out too!