PDA

View Full Version : Medication and menstruating

Eviefitz
23-08-15, 02:09 AM
Hi all,

Sorry to bring up what might seem like a crude topic but I was wondering if any of the other females on here had experienced drastically different menstrual cycles when on medication for depression?
Mine have become much much heavier than normal and are also now completely unpredictable whereas previously they have been like clockwork.
I can only assume that the change may be related to my medication (fluexotine) but I haven't found any info about the two things being connected.

It's a cross I'm willing to bear of course cos the drugs do seem to be helping a great deal but I just want to be sure about the effects it is having on my body.

selena
23-08-15, 09:50 AM
Hi.

I would recommend to consult a gynecologist.

I've had PCOS for years and my periods are generally irregular, so basically I was prohibited to take antidepressants, excepting some light medication.

But your case is different.

Paula
23-08-15, 09:57 AM
I've not heard any connection but we all react differently to ADs. Can you definitively tie the change to when you started your ADs? Regardless, if your periods have changed, please see your Dr

Suzi
23-08-15, 11:09 AM
Sorry to just repeat, but again I'd recommend a trip to your Drs just to make them aware that things have changed.... Are you sure that's the only thing that could have changed? I completely sympathise though as I've never had a regular cycle and it can be a complete pita!

Jarre
23-08-15, 12:35 PM
Not crude at all as its life. Any change to the norm with your body needs to be put to your Dr. People also need to check things with reguards to medication like if your AD's affect the pill etc. I had a cold a few weeks back and I was advised off using standard decongestant cold remedies by the pharmacist due to my dosage of amatriptyline. If you notice anything always consult, its better to know if its a normal thing or not rather than leaving it.

EJ
23-08-15, 02:42 PM
I don't think that medication can affect menstruation. Mood can certainly have an influence though. I also suffer from PCOS and am menopausal. I would go for months on end when I wouldn't have a period and then when they came they were horrendous. I had coils and eventually a hysterectomy. I even felt that my mood was influencing my cycle and I could control it. Definitely talk to your GP about it
I'm editing this as I know some mood stabilisers can affect mensturation and fertility.