PDA

View Full Version : Doubling my dosage

Eviefitz
12-08-15, 09:51 PM
Hi everyone,
I've joined this forum as I am truly at a loss with coping with my depression lately. I was having severe fatigue, to the point where I was napping everyday and felt completely exhausted all the time -- it made everyday tasks seem insurmountable. At that time I was taking Fluoextine - 20mg- and was aware that fatigue was a possible side effect of that medication despite also being a major symptom of my depression.
Firstly I inisisted my doctor ran blood tests, to determine that there wasn't any other potential medical issues causing the extreme tiredness. Everything came back fine. To my surprise, my GP's suggestion was to try doubling my dosage to 40mg. I've only been on the double dosage for a week now, but it's been a nightmare, my anxiety has heightened my moods are almost lower than before, and the fatigue hasn't got any better either.

My worry now is that this medication could be making me worse but you are also advised against 'coming off' them, so am I supposed to resolve this?

Has anybody else experienced anything like this on Fluoextine? I've tried other medications before and nothing else has seemed to help.

I'd really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Thank you.

Mrs-Darling
12-08-15, 10:00 PM
Any new medication or new dose can take up to 6 weeks for the side effects to subside and for to start feeling the benefits. Try not to worry unless it's been much longer than this. It can also take a few tries on different medications to get the one that best suits you. I've lost count of how many different anti-ds I've been on but am now on two plus an anti anxiety one and despite going through a recent, very severe crisis am slowly starting to feel better.

Angie
12-08-15, 10:00 PM
Hi Evie, and welcome.
I don't have experience of Fluoxetine, we can't really give advice about medications but I would say go back and see your gp and explain to him how it hasn't helped by doubling the dose and see what he says

S deleted
12-08-15, 10:06 PM
A week isn't really very long to get the best from your increased dose and it's never a good idea to come of your meds without direction from your Dr. Go back to your GP and explain and he can instruct you of the best course of action

Suzi
12-08-15, 11:01 PM
Hi and welcome!
What time are you taking them? Are you drinking enough water? Getting any exercise?

Eviefitz
13-08-15, 09:21 AM
Thank you for the advice everyone.
I'm taking two 20mg on a morning. Would you advise maybe taking one in morning and one in afternoon? The doctor didn't really stipulate.

I find it strange that with anti -depressant medications can all have so many side effects, which can often cause as many problems as the illness they are given to treat. It's frustrating.

I just want to be able to live a normal life again.

Suzi
13-08-15, 09:41 AM
You will, I'm sure... It will just take time.

Eviefitz
13-08-15, 10:18 AM
Has anybody else on similar medication found that the time of the day that you take it makes any difference? Or splitting the dose? I'm due to speak with my GP next week and will be sure to ask more thorough questions then. Just wondering what I can do in the meantime to minimise side effects.

Thanks.

Suzi
13-08-15, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't split the dose as Fluoxetine is one which should be taken in the morning - well that's what the Dr told my husband, which was then backed up by his psych...

Paula
13-08-15, 02:28 PM
It is frustrating that a drug that helps also causes side effects, but the worse of these should pass. Of course, fatigue is a symptom of depression too so that may be your Drs thinking

magie06
13-08-15, 02:30 PM
Write down the questions that you are thinking of now, because you may forget them at the doctors next week.

ManuelWeaver
07-11-15, 10:17 AM
Anti depressant take time to react and show their side effects, you need to continuous contact with your doctor and tell him everything.