PDA

View Full Version : Extreme anxiety symptoms on fluoxetine

LostMyWay
08-06-15, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone, I've now been on fluoxetine for 2.5 weeks after switching from citalopram. Was doing ok last few days and have finally stopped bursting into tears at everything but today my anxiety is through the roof (more physically than mentally as I don't feel particularly anxious mentally) and I've got palpitations and am physically shaking. Is this normal after being on for so long? I would have expected any side effects to have been and gone by now but this has just started :(

LostMyWay
08-06-15, 03:39 PM
I'm seeing my gp on Wednesday btw

rose
08-06-15, 03:45 PM
My experience was Fluoxetine was that things got worse before it got better, and things didn't really turn around until about week 7.
I was offered Diazepam to help me through the first few weeks. I am glad you are seeing your doctor on Wednesday. Until then, when you feel very anxious, try telling yourself that how you feel is 'just side effects'. I also used Rescue Remedy which you can get from pretty much any pharmacy, just check with the pharmacist about interactions with whatever medications you are taking.

Suzi
08-06-15, 07:18 PM
Sounds about right for my Husband too. You really do need to hang on in there, but do go and see your GP too..

purplefan
08-06-15, 07:59 PM
I still have the odd moment on fluoxitine and I've been on them for about a year. It has definitely helped. One thing that might be a problem is alcohol.
If you are still drinking it could have a negative effect. I would mention it to your G.P on W
ednesday though.
its only 2.5 weeks so not a long time.