PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting through it? *trigger*

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Paula
22-06-15, 10:28 PM
youve been working so very hard for your degree, it's not surprising you're having a little dip at the end of it. My dad used to act in amateur productions and he always struggled with the come down (as Suzi says) at the end of the run.

Pen
23-06-15, 11:00 AM
Yes I think it is trying to adjust to the new life. The routine of being a student for the last five years has helped me a lot and during the holidays I often had problems. Now I have to rebuild my life again.
I tried to do too much last week by being at the college every day, I need a lot of time to myself in my own safe space and the cafe at the college was not a "safe" place mentally for me. Too many people coming and going, needing to be watchful of the exhibits and ready to offer explanations to anyone who wanted them (whilst trying not to be too pushy which I can be ).
I think I will be ok when it comes to running my classes as I will be in my own studio and setting the agenda. Dealing with the unexpected at college is not good for me.
Yesterday I was not good, I even rang my art therapist for a chat as I was so bad and you know what I am like when it comes for asking for help! However I had a quiet day only did 3 hours of work. I did an hour of admin and I had an anxiety attack so I stuck to drawing after that. Today I am still not 100% but a lot better so the day at home really helped. I do have to go into the college this afternoon but it is to meet some friends for a coffee and to show one of them around the exhibition so hopefully I will be ok.
Tomorrow I will be at home again for the day although I have a government valuation officer coming in the morning to decide a ratable value for the studio so that the local council can decide on my business rates! I hope he gives me a favourable valuation... (sweat)

Suzi
23-06-15, 11:01 AM
Glad you called for help hunni... Good luck with the valuation!

rose
23-06-15, 12:10 PM
I think it's difficult adjusting to a new routine but what is great is that instead of panicking that you're getting I'll again, you recognise its due to a change in routine.
I hope you have fun with your friends and good luck with the valuation tomorrow.

magie06
23-06-15, 12:38 PM
Hopefully the valuation tomorrow goes well for you.

Pen
23-06-15, 04:17 PM
Thank you everyone.

Had a meet up with my old college mentor which was good. She is a councillor/therapist and so she went round the exhibition wondering if some of my college friends should make an appointment with her as they obviously have issues they need to discuss!!!!
Then met up with my best friend for an hour.
That was enough. I am back home feeling drained and washed out. I aught to go and do some work but I just cant find the energy. Mind you have just looked at the clock and realised that I have to leave in half an hour and collect my son from the airport. I guess he will want me to cook him dinner tonight but I am not sure I can be asked!
I would have had a peanut butter and jam sandwich last night if it had not been for my daughter and I am not sure I will want more than that tonight. At times like this I PB and Jam sarnies are about all I can manage.

Paula
23-06-15, 05:11 PM
It's been a tough few weeks, try to rest as much as possible (bear)

Angie
23-06-15, 05:18 PM
Try and relax and rest as Paula says hun

Pen
23-06-15, 06:42 PM
Feeling a bit ashamed as I have not even managed an hours work today. ( I have a time tracking app that I use to see how long I spend on work related tasks) So far I have only done 50 minutes of work.
I am trying to decide if I should go out the studio and try and do some or if I should just write the day off and try and do better tomorrow!

My son has agreed that he will goto the chippy and get his dinner tonight. So pb and jam sarnies it is for me after all.

magie06
23-06-15, 07:50 PM
If it was me, I'd write today off as a bad day. You will be able to catch up tomorrow.

Pen
23-06-15, 08:07 PM
I went and pottered in the garden for a bit. I need to get serious with the weeds soon but not tonight! I have the most annoying hose, it was a cheap one so it kinks really easily. I went to unknot a kink but without realising it I had the nozzle pointing at my leg, so now I am very soggy....

Paula
23-06-15, 08:19 PM
Yuck! Sounds like a day to show your heels to ......

Suzi
23-06-15, 09:20 PM
I'd write it off as a blip day too hunni. You've worked so hard that you deserve a few days off!

Pen
23-06-15, 09:30 PM
Yep. Had beans on toast and a cream cake, now going to bed with a book. Now should it be Developing Glazes or Wolf Hall?.... mmmm might have to go for Wolf Hall I think!

rose
23-06-15, 09:34 PM
I heard Wolf Hall is a quite hard read. I haven't read it, but I saw the TV version. I've read some of her other books and they are very good.
I got interested in her books after seeing a TV interview with her and finding out she was treated in a psychiatric hospital.

Pen
23-06-15, 09:45 PM
I am about 2/3rds of the way through it. Yes it is quite a hard read, especially until you start to understand her style. Cromwell is always referred to as "he" through the book and sometimes she jumps about with timelines so you have to take note of the dates at the start of the chapters (which caught me out a few times). I got the book after seeing the TV show, but the book Wolf Hall does not cover the same timescale as the TV show, I am well into it and Anne is still not queen (although Henry has just married her in secret), however it keeps pulling me back and I am determined to finish it. Not sure if I will read the other book that the TV show used afterwards though.

rose
23-06-15, 09:49 PM
Yes the TV show was two books in one, Wolf Hall and Bring Up The Bodies.
If you are interested in the period (Henry VIII fascinates me) then Phillipa Gregory is another good author who has written loads of books.
I like Hilary Mantel's Mother's Day and Vacant Possession and I also have her autobiography which I haven't read yet.

Pen
23-06-15, 11:25 PM
Yes I have read one of Phillipa Gregories books and I have another on the shelf that I have not read yet (a charity shop buy) I also enjoyed the "Other Boleyn Girl" film. I have been reading the Mathew Shardlake series by C J Sansom. They are fictional but all based in Henry VIII's reign. I generally like historical who dunits although I do generally find history interesting.

Went to bed but back up again as I cannot sleep.

Pen
24-06-15, 01:11 PM
Well the valuation officers have been... Took lots of measurements and photos and left. Now to wait for the verdict!

Angie
24-06-15, 01:25 PM
Hope its favourable for you hunni, remember though that you can claim back on your tax for it

Paula
24-06-15, 02:15 PM
Fingers crossed ...

Pen
24-06-15, 08:25 PM
Had a letter from hubbys brothers' solicitor this afternoon. They intend to take the matter to court. This is going to get messy....

Angie
24-06-15, 08:31 PM
All you can do is see what happens regarding it going to court and your husband see his solicitor

Paula
24-06-15, 09:58 PM
Oh no, none of you need that :(

Suzi
24-06-15, 10:23 PM
Oh I hope it isn't messy hunni...

Pen
24-06-15, 10:44 PM
Phoned hubby who was all "well I'm not going to court again, dont want to ever go in a court again" So I said then you will need to put the house on the market and he was "I'm not being pushed I will do things in my own time" So I pointed out that if the house was not put in the next 7 days it will go to court to which he was "well I'm not going to court again, dont want to ever go in a court again"
I want to help him but he just keeps burying his head in the sand. I asked him if he wanted me to sort out a solicitor for him, when he asked why and I said he would need someone to speak for him in court well the response was just the same again.
In the end I said that the only solution would be if he talked to S and worked out a solution. I left him to talk to M and for them to decide what to do.

Pen
25-06-15, 08:56 AM
Wooo....
Went to bed at about 11:30 last night after a hot milk mixed with nutmeg and little sugar. Apart from a short loo break I slept until 8:15. That stuff is strong!!!

Angie
25-06-15, 09:30 AM
Glad that you slept hunni, you have done all you can its upto your husband now he knows what is what

Paula
25-06-15, 09:38 AM
Glad you got a good nights sleep. As Angie says, it's down to your hubby and M from here (bear)

Pen
25-06-15, 12:37 PM
Today I feel like I have got a hangover.... Which as I dont drink is frustrating!! Only managed to make a couple of butterflies and a flower and put the clay I made up yesterday out to dry.

rose
25-06-15, 01:19 PM
If your husband doesn't put the house on the market and doesn't attend court, I think things are going to get VERY messy. If I were you, I would stop helping him. This is his mess, and you don't need the stress.

Suzi
25-06-15, 01:31 PM
I think Rose might be right...

Pen
26-06-15, 11:54 PM
Hubby turned up just after lunch today. He had been to the estate agent. He went with the intention of putting the house on the market but he took the last letter from the solicitor with him. They are going to consult a solicitor for him to see if he has a case that may by winnable.
I suspected that despite his blustering he would actually do something if his back was to the wall, anyway we will wait and see what happens. He is in a bit of a state though, the stress of this has exhausted him. He fell asleep on the sofa before tea which is not like him and spent a lot of the afternoon just sitting on the sofa staring into space again not like him. Apart from his own emotions he is having to deal with M who is furious at the actions of S. M feels that S wants to destroy their lives so that S can have the life he wants. M is threatening to ask their cousin to come with his digger and demolish the house or burn it to the ground just to thwart S.

Paula
27-06-15, 09:57 AM
Tbh, S just wants his inheritance, which he's entitled to and it doesn't surprise me - I'm not sure I wouldn't do the same. But I know M has problems and moving would be so stressful for him. I'm not surprised your hubby is stressed - he's caught between a rock and a hard place. Two positive things tho, hubby was/is prepared to put the house on the market, and that the estate agents are decent enough to help rather than just take the money.

rose
27-06-15, 10:47 AM
S just wants his inheritance, just like your sibling wanted their's Pen. You didn't threaten to burn the house down, you did what was right.
Given your description of the property, burning it down might make the land more attractive to a buyer!!!
Maybe he should put it on the market to stall for time. S just wanted it on the market, that's not the same as selling it.

Suzi
27-06-15, 11:06 AM
It's a horrible situation for all involved, but yes it just comes down to money....

Pen
27-06-15, 12:26 PM
As always. Still hubby has gone out for the day to do some gardening work, hopefully it will keep his mind off it. He has said that if he can get everything done today he will help me with the painting tomorrow.

Suzi
27-06-15, 08:33 PM
Did he get everything done?

Pen
27-06-15, 11:36 PM
No. Has to go back to finish cutting up a tree. But we are going to the car boot together.

Paula
27-06-15, 11:37 PM
Have fun :)

Suzi
28-06-15, 09:53 AM
Hope you have fun! I like a car boot sale - happy bargain hunting!

Paula
28-06-15, 10:22 AM
How's the car boot?

Pen
28-06-15, 11:54 AM
Very, very wet! There were a few hardy souls in the outside bit, and I did get a carved wooden bowl which I can use as a mold. By the time we got inside the water was running off my coat and down my jeans. Anyway we bought a really nice garden bench off a friend of ours for £35 hubby tried to haggle him down on it last week and someone stepped in but we left and they never completed. So when it was still there today we gave him what he had been asking for.

Suzi
28-06-15, 05:36 PM
Hoorah! Hope the rest of your day has been good!

Pen
28-06-15, 08:29 PM
Painted a few beams till my shoulder ached.. Wedged up the clay I have been processing, I have made just short of 12lbs (Just over 5kg) of clay this week. So then I did a bit of sculpting with the new clay. It really is quite flaky so I need to research how I can improve it.

Paula
28-06-15, 08:44 PM
You are incredible, I'd be in the corner whimpering if I tried all you do

rose
28-06-15, 09:16 PM
How do you make clay? I thought you just bought it from... a clay shop? or something?

Suzi
28-06-15, 09:36 PM
WOW!! I didn't realise you "made" it either! I thought it was something that you got out of the ground and it was used then!

Pen
28-06-15, 10:03 PM
Oh you have opened a dangerous can of worms here... Clay is my favourite topic (rofl) Prepared to be bored witless!!!!!
About 90% of the earths crust is clay. Clay was formed by the breakdown of the rock spewed out of volacnos when the earth was created by the highly acidic atosphere of the yound earth.
Some of the clay stayed put where it was formed. This is residual clay and is generally much harder when fired clays such as porcelain are residual clays. Residual clays form deep beds that are mined. If you have ever been to central cornwall you will have seen the porcelain mines.
Most of the clay however was washed down from the volcanos gathering iron from the geology along the way. These are sedimentary clays. Sedimentary clay is almost everywhere although some places are better then others. If you have ever owned a new house and discovered that your garden turns to rock in summer and a bog in winter then you have experienced living with sedimentary clay. Most sedimentary clay is underground (which is why when the builders have finished there is clay) but in some places like rivers and places like here in weston the clay is nearer the surface, if not on the surface. Natural Sedimentary clays almost all have high iron contents which means when they are fired they turn red. Terra cotta is an excellent example of sedimentary clay. The iron content means that the clay cannot be fired as high as residual clay and so the pots are not "vitrified" (basically not waterproof) which is why terracotta pots often shatter in a damp winter when it freezes.

Yes you can buy it from a pottery supplier. These clays are often blends mixed to give certain results, eg. may throw well on a wheel, or be good for creating big sculptures or fire to a certain colour.

So processing clay...
Firstly its hard, messy work with unpredicatible results so most potters wont bother but I am keen to get Weston Clay back into production as it was voted in the 19th century as the best clay in the country.

There are a few ways to do it, the way I do it through is:-
Break the clay up into small lumps
Mix with water to make a slurry
Clay dug out the garden or from a river (or off the beach here) will have "extras" that you dont want like worms, stones, bits of wood etc. so you want to get these washed out of the clay. Most heavy items will sink to the bottom or float to the top.
Once I have mixed the clay to a slurry about the consistancy of double cream I pour the soup through a sieve into a bucket.
I then leave the sieved liquid to stand for at least 12 hours. The clay will settle to the bottom and a layer of clear water will have formed on the top.
I then VERY carefully pour off the clear water. When the clay starts to move up to the lip of the bucket I pour off the rest of the water and the clay that comes with it into a jug and stand it again. I am then left with a very thick liquid.
I then pour the liquid clay onto a plaster slab. The plaster draws the water out of the clay and it sets. The length of time varies depending on how much I have been using the slab (obviously it gets damp after a while) the temperature and the amount of slop I put on. The best set I got this week was about 15 minutes on a dry slab in the sun and the worst was overnight at the end of the week when it got colder (and the slab wetter!).
One the clay is at the right level of dryness (not runny but not dry either) I take it off the plaster and "wedge" it. This is a process of mixing the clay and ensuring that any trapped air is worked out.
Then I wrap it up in a plastic bag and store ready for use.

rose
28-06-15, 10:13 PM
Good grief, its no wonder you are tired. Sounds really hard work!!! And really interesting too, you need to be really skilled to do it.
Wow Pen, no wonder you got a first in your degree!!!

Paula
28-06-15, 10:17 PM
Stunning! Wow ....

Pen
28-06-15, 10:19 PM
Hubby bought me one of these paint/plaster mixing accessories that goes on a power drill to help with the mixing. Tried it for the first time earlier in the week, but the lumps of clay were a bit hard. Sprayed liquid clay over the patio, the studio glass doors, nearby plants and all over me. Went back to using a paddle and stirring by hand, a bit less messy and better for the figure (and the laundry!!!)

Pen
29-06-15, 08:43 AM
Good grief, its no wonder you are tired. Sounds really hard work!!! And really interesting too, you need to be really skilled to do it.
Wow Pen, no wonder you got a first in your degree!!!

Its not too bad as you do it in stages so there is a lot of activity for about 15 minutes then lots of waiting! Actually none of this knowledge was counted in my degree (rofl) However I was fortunate to have a tutor at college (Sim) who is even more passionate about clay than me and gave us a fantastic lecture about clay formation. Sim's father is also a potter/ceramist so he has been involved in clay since a toddler. What he does not know about clay is not worth knowing and I will really miss being able to pick his brains constantly!! I have discovered that the more I learn about pottery the more I realise how pathetically little I really know!!

I have started trying to research the history of pottery in weston. There is very little information that I can find which is sad as the Royal Potteries in Weston was a huge manufacturer of fancy garden pots and tubs as well as bricks in the 1800's through to the 1950's. The wares are still around and being sold for hundreds of pounds (which for terracotta says something about the quality of the clay and manufacture!!). I would love to write a piece about it on my website. The only record I can find seems to be in a rare and obscure book written in the 1980's but I cant find a copy.

rose
29-06-15, 09:35 AM
You may have found your niche. Do you think you could make money from making Weston Clay pots, maybe some of the shops on the seafront could sell it for you?

Suzi
29-06-15, 10:36 AM
That sounds so awesome! Can't wait to see some of your bowls!

Pen
29-06-15, 10:21 PM
Had a go at making a small sculpture with it and that is drying. Hopefully will be ready to fire next week.

I did start a project with weston clay called the Mud Dragons back at the end of last year but college made me drop it. I have plans to start it off again if this clay will fire in a similar manner to clay that I found on the beach.

Bit the bullet today and went back up to Bristol to the art therapy club. I have not been there since February and had started to get nervous about going back (a spot of social anxiety). Trouble is that its quite a long drive up there, and there was lots of delays at roadworks today. Ember came with me though and helped to hold my hand. We stopped about half way in both directions at a lovely park and she had a chance to stretch her legs (and answer calls of nature). When we got back though she got out the car and was promptly sick. She used to be car sick a lot as a puppy but has been a lot better for the last year. I think that although I had the air con on the heat had got to her a bit today.

At the Studio she has her own bed and settles down behind me whilst I work. I no longer need to keep a lead on her there as she knows that she has to stay with me and not wander off. Occasionally though if there is a noise that she does not recognise she will get up to have a look. All the members there know to leave her alone and she ignores them although she did consider giving the art therapist a doggy kiss at one point so she is getting better.

Suzi
29-06-15, 10:51 PM
Aww Ember is adorable!

Paula
29-06-15, 10:53 PM
I remember the mud dragons - they were cool :)

rose
29-06-15, 11:24 PM
I thought the mud dragons were cool too!
Ember sounds very well behaved :)

Pen
30-06-15, 09:00 AM
Ember is very good but she does have her triggers that I have to look out for. She is scared of bigger bouncier dogs and if they try to play with her she is likely to give them a warning, maybe even a nip. Not in an outwardly aggressive way just a leave me alone or else way. She is also not good if people try to touch her, but the warning bandana she wears helps with that. She can now go past a football without trying to pinch it, but if she sees a cat she is likely to chase it. She knows that they fight back and if they stop she will stop to, but the action of a cat running just triggers a primeval response that we cant seem to overcome!

Want to have another go at the mud dragons people seem to be quite keen on the idea generally, just my tutors did not feel it was arty enough. You always have the issue with ceramics of if its "art" or "craft" The art people look down on craft....

Having a bit of a down morning this morning. I went up to the Studio yesterday and today I am meeting my old college friends for coffee and then a bring and share lunch. Tomorrow I am taking Dad to Cheltenham to the art gallery and museum. However after yesterday I could just do with a quiet day away from people. I am wondering if I have agreed to do too much this week.

Paula
30-06-15, 09:23 AM
Tell moorcroft it's 'craft' and watch them laugh all the way to the bank ;)

Suzi
30-06-15, 11:05 AM
Sounds really busy lovely. Can you rest in between?
And yes, more mud dragons!

Pen
30-06-15, 04:00 PM
Back now from the lunch. It was lovely to see them and I ate far too much, but I just could not resist squeezing in that homemade scone with homemade raspberry jam and whipped cream!!

I am hoping that now I can have a few hours of peace, just me and Ember till my son comes home demanding dinner. Thankfully I have some cold meat and pork pies left from the lunch so he can have a salad tonight. He wont be overjoyed, far too much green stuff for his liking but wont complain either. Personally I feel like I could go without eating for a week now. I feel like one of those pythons that eat a whole goat and then go and lie up for a week and digest it...

Suzi
30-06-15, 04:33 PM
So glad you've had a lovely time Pen!

Pen
30-06-15, 04:50 PM
So glad that my studio is in a very private spot, I can get away with sculpting in just a pair of shorts, a bra and an apron!!! (Too hot to do any more painting of the ceiling at the moment!

Angie
30-06-15, 05:17 PM
Glad that you had a good time hun

Pen
30-06-15, 09:43 PM
Taking Dad to Cheltenham on the train tomorrow. Leave at 9:30 get there at 11:10. They say that it is going to be even hotter tomorrow, its going to be struggle with a 89 year old not for us both to end up collapsing with the heat!

Paula
30-06-15, 09:46 PM
Hope you have a good time - lots of fluids ;)

Suzi
30-06-15, 10:36 PM
Loads and loads of water! Hope you have a brilliant time!

Angie
30-06-15, 10:58 PM
Have a good time hun and I agree plenty of water

rose
01-07-15, 12:54 AM
I hope you have a great time..
And if it makes you feel more normal, I've been bricklaying in my bra this week haha. It's too hot for clothes!!!

Pen
01-07-15, 07:33 AM
I just remembered to put my top back on about a minute before my son walked in. (rofl)

I have a large bottle of mixed squash in the fridge to take and hopefully both the train and the art gallery will be air conditioned.

Suzi
01-07-15, 08:34 AM
Bricklaying in your bra? I'm sure that's something people would pay money to see!
Have a wonderful day Pen, enjoy it!

rose
01-07-15, 10:08 AM
Bricklaying in your bra? I'm sure that's something people would pay money to see!
LOL well I am not working, so maybe this is a money spinner. Leave the webcam on my laptop on while I am bricklaying. LOL

rose
01-07-15, 10:09 AM
I just remembered to put my top back on about a minute before my son walked in. (rofl)

I have a large bottle of mixed squash in the fridge to take and hopefully both the train and the art gallery will be air conditioned.

HAHA your son would have thought twice about bursting in in future if you'd still had your top off!
Hope you have fun today!

Pen
01-07-15, 05:59 PM
I hope you have a great time..
And if it makes you feel more normal, I've been bricklaying in my bra this week haha. It's too hot for clothes!!!

I must admit when I read this I wondered if you were working alongside a bunch of male brickies and if so did they get any work done!!

Pen
01-07-15, 06:21 PM
Phew. Just back.
Rushed in to approve a pdf of flyers which had to be approved by 6 so just made it (It looks fab and I am delighted!!)

SOOOOO hot.....

Met Dad at station who promptly handed me a shopping bag to carry for him with his coat (yes really.... he took a coat...the hottest day of the year and he brought a coat!!) a newspaper (which he knew he probably would not read), a bottle of water and his glasses. So I had to carry two bags all day.

The first train to Bristol was not air con so sweltering by the time we got to Bristol for our first change. The next train was air con which was nice right up when we got off. The heat hit us like being blasted by a hairdryer. Dad promptly had to sit down for 5 minutes!

Then he thought he would like a coffee before we left the station. Of course the cafe was over the other side of the station. On the way there he saw the bus outside so decided that we would just get on the bus.... missed that bus....
Next bus was only 10 minutes though. But we ended up sitting behind a guy who was bit whiffy.
I asked the bus driver to tell us when we got to the closest stop for the museum, he didn't thankfully though two old ladies behind us had heard me asking him and they were able to tell us when to get off.
Got to the museum and had a coffee. Then started viewing. I was quite disappointed by the paintings there was nothing really special about their collection. Even the older paintings where done by students of the masters rather than by the maters themselves. Once we had looked round their art gallery (12 pictures) Dad said he had had enough and would meet be back in the cafe.
I wanted to see their ceramics gallery but was sadly disappointed. In other displays there were some quite nice pieces and it looked like the ceramics gallery (which was only about 15ft long) was made up of bits that they could not fit in anywhere else. I was also not convinced about the accuracy of the labelling of some of their pieces.
Went back to Dad had lunch then started back home. We had a problem as the bus stop we were dropped off at was on a one way system and we had no way of working out where the bus back went from so I persuaded him to get a taxi (much less smelly). Did not have to wait long for a train out of Cheltenham but had a 25 minute wait at Bristol. We got ice creams and sat on the platform. Dad got talking to a young man about the war. This chap seemed to know a lot about the airforce and was genuinely interested to hear about Dads experiences so he had a good chinwag.

When I met up with Dad again at lunch he handed me a brochure about Gloucester and said he would like to do a tour of the cathedral and art galleries sometime soon.... I did point out that I thought this MIGHT be a tinsy bit optimistic if he was exhausted after viewing one art room...

However all things considered it was an interesting day out, and it is nice to spend time with him whilst he is still so fit and active as I dont know how much longer I will have him

rose
01-07-15, 08:41 PM
That sounds really nice!! So glad you had a nice day, even though the museum wasn't quite as you hoped.
I was bricklaying on my own Pen, no man to help me!!

Pen
01-07-15, 08:49 PM
Its been quite a week. Really looking forward to two days of just being in the studio, nowhere to go, no-one to see. Just me and Ember, the radio and a lot of white paint.

Suzi
01-07-15, 09:20 PM
That sounds like a lovely time Pen! So fab!

Paula
01-07-15, 09:39 PM
That sounds so peaceful :)

Pen
02-07-15, 11:07 AM
Oh dear. Yesterday really took it out of me. I am trying to paint the ceiling and am making a little progress but to be honest I could just easily go lie down and fall asleep!! Its a good job I have nowhere I have to go today I think it would be just too much for me.

rose
02-07-15, 11:13 AM
Just take it easy, bit of painting, lots of cold drinks, maybe even a little nap ;)
You should get a bed in your studio. Or one of those chaise longues!

Pen
02-07-15, 12:13 PM
Its quite cool here today, even been raining a bit this morning (Of course it would when I finally get round to catching up on the washing!!)
I have a squishy sofa upstairs in the studio, I could be so tempted to crash out on it!!!

Paula
02-07-15, 01:35 PM
I tend to sleep a lot, for various reasons. I've started putting a 10 minute timer on my phone when I get drowsy, so I don't sleep for hours. And I still feel refreshed after that, so it works ;)

Suzi
02-07-15, 04:57 PM
I've been feeling the same!

Pen
02-07-15, 09:50 PM
A while ago you said you would like to see a picture of my water feature. So here's a short video. (hopefully this will work!!)
http://vid1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/penny_price1/WP_20150702_09_40_04_Pro_zpsvg7hvbxl.mp4

Spent about 5 hours painting today. Then spent another 3 hours messing around in the garden, setting up my sculpture and rearranging my pots. Not finished yet but this is how the garden is looking at the moment.
http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/penny_price1/slideshow/Garden%20July%202015

rose
02-07-15, 09:56 PM
How beautiful! Is that the back of your studio in the second picture?
I thought your water feature was a statue made out of clay for some reason.... but of course, its much more arty than that! And very pretty! Are those lily pads?

Pen
02-07-15, 10:00 PM
Yes the studio is in there. I am trying to avoid photographing it at the moment as it is an absolute tip!!
Its a small lily in the bottom tub, a variety that should not grow too big. There are two flowers coming so I am looking forward to them coming out. Also in the bottom tub are two fish. Cupid who has a little heart on his head and Hayley named after the comet because he is so shy we only see him about as often!

Suzi
02-07-15, 10:07 PM
Wow so beautiful!

Pen
02-07-15, 10:12 PM
Gee thanks (blush)

Now that art has become work the garden has become my hobby. I never was much of a gardener, it was always mum and dad who looked after the garden, but now I finally have my own house this is MY space without any memories of what they planted or did. Considering that there was nothing here at all (not even weeds in the patio, everything was ruthlessly killed with weed killer!) I am quite proud of what I have achieved. Hubby grumbles that I am filling up a nice clean uncluttered space but it MY garden so he can go whistle!!

Paula
02-07-15, 11:12 PM
Your garden is beautiful, and you can see the love you've put into it :)

rose
02-07-15, 11:28 PM
Its beautiful to have all those pots and flowers, and like you say, its YOUR garden, so your hubby can keep his opinions to himself ;)

Angie
02-07-15, 11:31 PM
Your garden looks lovely hun, we are holding off doing much with ours until have a section penned off for the dog, she will more than likely dig

Suzi
03-07-15, 08:31 AM
I think it's beautiful. Hubby is wrong!

Pen
03-07-15, 08:39 PM
Sooo stiff... Two days of painting and gardening...

Suzi
03-07-15, 09:04 PM
But are you happy?

Pen
03-07-15, 09:07 PM
Still so much painting to do. I seem to spend hours and hours and am only chipping away at the mammoth job! But on the whole yes I am happy. I had hoped to get some help this weekend but the kids are working and one of hubbies old gents desperately wants him there tomorrow to do his garden.

Suzi
03-07-15, 09:09 PM
That's so awesome that you are happy. I'm genuinely thrilled for you.

Paula
03-07-15, 10:38 PM
Moving seems to have transformed your mood :)

Pen
04-07-15, 12:24 AM
Yes it has made a huge difference. I think that now I no longer have to worry about the old house has really helped. The move has been mental as well as physical. All last year I felt I was just passing time, standing still waiting to move forward. Getting to the new house means I feel that I am going somewhere. The fact that we managed to find a house that was so perfect sort of reassured me that what I am planning was right it felt like fate was on my side. Knowing that the house is all paid for and that whatever happens I will have a roof over my head is also a great comfort.

Suzi
04-07-15, 11:05 AM
It has been amazing to see the change in you!

Pen
04-07-15, 11:40 AM
My daughter is much happier to. I think there was a ghost of my mother in the other house that we never quite got to grips with. This is a fresh start, somewhere where my parents have never lived. It is also smaller and so more manageable.

I have not been in contact with the mental health services or my GP since February.

Angie
04-07-15, 01:06 PM
You sound so much brighter hun and happier which is great

Pen
04-07-15, 03:22 PM
Finally met the lady next door (how many months...!) she seems very nice. She told me that the last of her kids moved out today and took the dog with them.... Its sooooo peaceful now. No more continuous yapping. Maybe now the dog has moved house it will be allowed a bit more freedom. I suspect that the inside of her house is like her garden. Minimal and immaculate. Certainly not going to be messed up by a dog!

Suzi
04-07-15, 09:57 PM
Glad you've met her!

Pen
04-07-15, 10:29 PM
My daughters BF and hubby have helped with the painting for a bit today, so starting to get a bit more confident that we may have the building ready for the opening next week.
I also had an email today with a real business opportunity. A group for the blind and partially sighted are looking for a new pottery place after the pottery that they used to goto for sessions has moved away. It could be my first steady income.

Paula
04-07-15, 10:30 PM
That's brilliant! :)

Suzi
05-07-15, 10:21 AM
Oh wow! That sounds amazing! You'll be brilliant at working with people with special needs - maybe you could contact special needs schools etc as a regular term time slot?

Pen
05-07-15, 02:26 PM
I would like to a lot, so we will see how this pans out. I am not expecting much income from this group, maybe £100 a month but as Tesco says every little helps.

Still painting.... Looking forward to when I can have a normal Sunday afternoon

rose
05-07-15, 02:36 PM
Are you painting the whole studio white? Its taken you ages you poor thing.

Pen
05-07-15, 02:49 PM
Oh yes.... and of course it has not been as simple as just covering everything with white emulsion. I have used white masonry paint on the concrete walls, white new plaster paint on the new plaster partitions, white fence paint on the bare chipboard on the ceiling, white primer and gloss on the doors and stairs AND for a little bit of variety cream fence paint on the beams....
The ceiling has been a sod! Chipboard is a nightmare to paint as its not smooth and the beams.... of course you have three sides to paint and it takes hours!!! I have decided that it is only going to get one coat, unless by some miracle I have some spare time on my hands.
Both the boys were helping for a while. Daughters BF has fixed up the light in the toilet and hubby has been doing some beams... However they have now disappeared...

The guy from the blind group is coming on wednesday so by then I have to have it tidy enough that he will be safe!! but hopefully his sight will be poor enough not to see how patchy the ceiling is... (think)

rose
05-07-15, 05:23 PM
Painting takes ages, you think 'Oh I'll just do this little bit' and it takes 2 hours... good news is that painting is a great calorie burner!

Pen
05-07-15, 05:33 PM
So WHY ARNT I A SIZE 12!!!! Life's not fair....

Oh I should add another white to the list as I have just opened the white metal paint and painted the shelf supports...

Proud of myself. My daughters bf was going to put up some hooks for me but when to lunch and never came back. So I have mastered the hammer drill, drilled two holes on the right place, fitted rawl plugs and fixed up the hooks.... Was getting into such a swing with the drill I thought I would secure my set of shelves to the brackets, but I could not find any screws of the right size. :(

magie06
05-07-15, 06:44 PM
Pen, I know its very mean of me, but when you said that the blind man was coming, I thought that you had ordered blinds for the window and were getting them installed on Wednesday. Lol sorry.

Pen
05-07-15, 07:26 PM
Ah the old joke about the blind man.... (rofl)

Suzi
05-07-15, 07:38 PM
You are amazing!

Pen
05-07-15, 08:37 PM
No I am not....

Trying to do my car insurance tonight. I have been with Sheilas Wheels for about 4 years and this year the policy has jumped up again. Last year I just let it go as I was too preoccupied to deal with it but I know I can get a better deal somewhere else. But I just cant seem to commit myself to the job. Feeling a bit pathetic. Certainly not amazing.

Paula
05-07-15, 08:40 PM
Amazing, yes, but not superhuman. Give yourself a break, lovely, you're doing so much and, yes, you're amazing!

Suzi
05-07-15, 08:46 PM
I think you're amazing. What about trying a comparison site?

Pen
05-07-15, 10:23 PM
Oh I always use a comparison site. Thats only the start of the problem as then I cant decide which is the best deal...

Anyway cant keep my eyes open so it will have to wait for another day.

Pen
06-07-15, 12:02 PM
Having a bit of the blues today.

I have been watching my little family of house sparrows this morning. Mr and Mrs Sparrow have a new brood, but the fledged little ones are still hanging around. Every time mum or dad come back to the nest the fledglings sit on the gutter fluttering their wings begging for food but are being ignored. When mum/dad fly off again they fly off as well only to come back a few minutes later.
One of the female fledgelings is obsessed with her reflection in the mirror by my artwork. She sits there for ages, occasionally trying to fly through the mirror to the other bird. The mirror is now covered in beak and foot marks... The other little ones sit and watch her sometimes but they seem to know that she is being silly.
Somewhere in the chaos of my studio is some bird seed but I am blowed if I can find it, although in typical fashion I have found the lost starter for the strip light...

rose
06-07-15, 02:02 PM
It must be getting to the point in their lives when they are supposed to fly off and find their own food, a bit of tough love from mum and dad.

Pen
06-07-15, 02:17 PM
Oh yes, but they dont seem to be getting the message. Little female is at the mirror again. She is so preoccupied that I walked about 3 ft past her and she did not even notice. If she is not more careful she my find herself as lunch for the local cats!

Suzi
06-07-15, 02:33 PM
Aw it's so lovely that you can watch them!

Paula
06-07-15, 03:02 PM
So cute ;).

Pen
06-07-15, 04:41 PM
I feel that I aught to do a Dumbledore on her ""The Mirror will be moved to a new home tomorrow, Harry, and I ask you not to go looking for it again. If you ever do run across it, you will now be prepared. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that. "

Paula
06-07-15, 05:10 PM
(rofl)

rose
06-07-15, 05:16 PM
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.
I think this is a good quote for life in general.

Pen
06-07-15, 06:29 PM
Getting a little desperate now. Still so much to do before the weekend. I have paid to put an add in the local free paper that is delivered to every household in Weston. My daughter says I am nuts.... However I am convinced that only 50 - 60 people will turn up even so.

Today I have painted most of one wall and part of another, sanded off some of the rusty metal work and painted with metal gloss, gloss painted the stairs and the toilet door and primed the door frame.

I still have to:-
Secure the shelves to their brackets (went and bought some wood screws this afternoon)
Finish painting the walls
Finish painting the ceiling and... as I will run out paint before I have finished.... get some more paint from town
Paint the toilet floor
Tidy everything up up
paint the table legs and the chairs
Fix up signs for the toilet and no smoking signs
Put up the sign on the gate for the studio
Print out invites for the neighbours
do an email out with invites
Secure the set of Ikea shelves that are currently held together by the shelves either side.
Fix bookcases to the wall (Just in case some little darling tries to climb them!!
Put a chain across the stairs with a No entry sign.

and to top it off daughter and BF want a lift to the industrial estate to pick up some furniture tomorrow.

Son wants dinner tonight and dog wants walk. ARRRRGGGGG

Suzi
06-07-15, 06:36 PM
For each thing they want you to do charge them one thing from your list! :)

rose
06-07-15, 07:58 PM
What day is the opening? Why would your daughter say you are mad to put an ad in the paper? I think you're amazing Pen, you're doing so well.

Pen
06-07-15, 09:35 PM
Saturday... She thinks we will have too many people to deal with...

OK put up the shelves, painted the door frame and tested the floor paint on a bit that will be covered up.

Tomorrow I think I need to concentrate on tidying up as apart from 4 beams I could possibly get away with doing no more painting provided they did not look too hard! Of course this depends on if the stairs are dry enough for me to climb them so I can hide stuff away in the attic, if not I may be a bit stuffed. The paint on the stairs has gone a bit funny, but I cant be bothered to sand it down and do again, after all its an art studio!!

rose
06-07-15, 10:40 PM
Did you prime the wood first? Has it bubbled?

Pen
07-07-15, 08:04 AM
I primed it and painted half of it back in April. Yesterday I washed down the half I not finished and painted it but it has separated in places like there was grease on it. The first half is fine. I am not worried that area is private anyway.

Woke up at 1:15 wide eyed and busy tailed convinced it was about 6 and ready to get up.... Was then lying in bed thinking OMG I have not got the fire extinguisher and first aid kit yet! Off to B and Q this afternoon!

rose
07-07-15, 08:38 AM
It might just be too hot for it to dry properly. You wrote a list earlier in the thread, maybe just keep adding to that and ticking off as you go.

Paula
07-07-15, 09:32 AM
I have every faith you'll get it all done - you're a very motivated person. I couldn't begin to imagine doing what you're doing, you're amazing! :)

Pen
07-07-15, 09:50 AM
What helps to keep me going is something that my psychologist said some years ago. "It does not matter what you do, just do something. Motivation will come later". I try not to worry too much about what is the most important thing to be done. It all has to be done so I just get stuck into something and then try to keep rolling. I can be my own worst enemy, if I sit on the sofa like I am at the moment I can just let time slip away....

Suzi
07-07-15, 11:04 AM
You'll get it all done I'm sure!

Pen
07-07-15, 12:49 PM
Im glad you think so, looking at the state the studio is in at the moment I am having my doubts!!

Pen
07-07-15, 06:47 PM
Six and a half hours tidying and its still a health and safety hazard! I think I am in for another late night tonight.

Suzi
07-07-15, 09:08 PM
Just take it bit by bit. You'll get it sorted hunni...

Pen
07-07-15, 10:49 PM
Just finished. The place is much better (actually possibly transformed my be the word!) Still got some stuff to take upstairs and a load of stuff for the tip and the bin men but I feel happier I can bring a visitor in there tomorrow.

Paula
07-07-15, 10:53 PM
Wow! Superwoman :)

Suzi
07-07-15, 10:58 PM
That's brilliant! You are amazing!

Pen
08-07-15, 01:43 AM
Ah but really makes me superwoman is that as well as spending nearly 10hours on the studio that I also gave Ember two good walks,got a load of washing on and cooked dinner!
(ninja)

Suzi
08-07-15, 08:19 AM
Seriously awesome!

Paula
08-07-15, 09:40 AM
Could you lend some of that energy to me ;)

rose
08-07-15, 10:31 AM
Pen, you're amazing! Its pointless telling you to try not to overdo it.... but I hope you get some time off to relax after the opening this weekend.

Pen
08-07-15, 11:12 AM
Could you lend some of that energy to me ;)

If I find any spare I will ship you some (Kiss)

Got the new sign and bell up about 5 minutes before the chap from the blind club came. Said I would help out even though they only pay £5 each, however its only for an hour. Seems like a really nice guy and he has the softest golden lab guide dog, who insisted on getting cuddles from me whilst we talked. My daughter said Ember could see me through the window and was furious. She is now giving me a cold shoulder in disgust!! (the dog that is not my daughter!!)

Pen
08-07-15, 11:14 AM
Pen, you're amazing! Its pointless telling you to try not to overdo it.... but I hope you get some time off to relax after the opening this weekend.

Oh I am so hoping that I can get a bit of a break after the weekend. I am hoping that I can spend Sunday catching up on all the TV I have missed and recorded. I think I have about 5% disk space left so I have a lot of programmes I need to watch and clear off the box.

It will also be nice to just do some artwork.

Suzi
08-07-15, 12:07 PM
That's so brilliant about the blind group! Hooray!

Pen
08-07-15, 04:37 PM
Well its only £60 a month (probably in reality about £30 after materials and firing) but its a start and it should be steady income throughout the year and maybe other things will develop from it.

Paula
08-07-15, 08:36 PM
It's a fantastic start given you've not even opened yet :)

Suzi
08-07-15, 09:07 PM
I think it's fantastic!

Pen
08-07-15, 10:55 PM
Boy I am just so tired... Got my sign up on the gate and made an Open/Closed sign out of some driftwood but having an issue with how to put it up in such a way that it does not turn itself over or blow off. Went out for lunch for an hour with a friend and then went and did a load of shopping. Some of it food, some of it stuff for the studio and Saturday. Then I got stuck into painting the beams again. Nearly there. Hubby said he would try and get over before the weekend to help but I have not heard anything, I have a mountain of stuff to go to the tip.
Tomorrow I will need to get the final stuff from B and Q (still not managed to get over there and of all the shopping I wanted it is the closest shop!!). I need to put the lock on the toilet door, secure the bookshelves to the wall, finish the painting, tidy the workshop area and get invitations for my neighbours printed and pushed through doors.
I got my son to cook tonight, but I have been so busy I have not washed up for a few days, so when I asked him to prepare hunters chicken he looked at the kitchen and said "where????" Still he must have found somewhere as he did rustle up a meal eventually. However after serving up he balenced the baking tray with the chicken fat, moulten cheese and BBQ sauce remains on top of a pan so shortly after I sat down there was an almighty crash and I went in to find grease all over the floor. At these times you really become thankful for a dog!!! Ember cleared it all up rather well (rofl) so I can get away with not washing the floor till after the Saturday event.

Paula
08-07-15, 11:12 PM
(giggle). I'm exhausted just reading that ;). You're doing brilliantly - sign out of driftwood? Wouldn't know where to start

Pen
09-07-15, 03:20 AM
I am becoming the power tool queen recently. I have been drilling holes in the concrete walls till my arm aches. The driftwood sign is made from an old plank that had washed up. I oiled it and then cut letters in it with my dremmel tool. I then painted the letters with some white paint. It only took about half an hour.

Pen
09-07-15, 11:22 AM
Had a bad night. Could not get off to sleep to start with. Woke at 3 finished the washing up. Went back to sleep, woke at 6 got up and cleaned my teeth then decided that I was too tired to get up so went back to bed and slept till 8:30

I know I am doing too much but I HAVE to get this finished.

rose
09-07-15, 11:34 AM
Perhaps you feel guilty for sleeping. But then if you don't sleep you find it hard to get up and have the energy to do what you need to do. Classic cycle that's difficult to break. Just three more days and this will all be over and you can rest all you want. Where is your husband and son? Don't feel guilty for asking for help... you have helped them enough over the years.
I would say leave the painting til last if you run out of time and think you can get away with it.

Suzi
09-07-15, 11:41 AM
You are doing too much - but at least you are aware of it and you know that you can calm down a bit after Saturday... You're amazing!

Angie
09-07-15, 11:58 AM
Hun you will get it finished, try not to panic which I know is easier said than done x You have done amazingly well upto now

Pen
09-07-15, 12:27 PM
Where is your husband and son? Don't feel guilty for asking for help... you have helped them enough over the years.
I would say leave the painting till last if you run out of time and think you can get away with it.

Just two more beams...

Hubby is in Wales, dont know when he will be back. Son is in work till 6:30 tonight.

magie06
09-07-15, 02:38 PM
Well done for all your hard work. I don't know how you did it all. Best of luck for Saturday and for the future. I hope you get more people than you can cope with.

rose
09-07-15, 02:42 PM
Sorry, I know hubby is in Wales, but I meant he ought to see what a big deal this is for you and offer to help. He doesn't seem very intuitive so can you try to tell him what you want? Otherwise I worry come Saturday morning he'll be off cutting someone's hedge instead of standing by your side.

Pen
09-07-15, 04:20 PM
I have a job for him for Saturday to take stuff to the tip and put other stuff in the attic. He regards the attic as his domain so if I threaten that I will put some stuff in there he will rush to do it :-) He did say that he would try and get some time off this week to help but so far no sign of him I have a secret hope that he will turn up sometime this evening.

Anyway painting is all done. Just need to :-
Fit the lock on the toilet door
Print out and distribute invitations for the neighbours
Fit the burglar alarm
Fix up the fire extinguisher and first aid kit
Put up the signs for the toilet, no smoking etc
Fix up the chain across the stairs to my private studio
Secure the bookcases to the wall
Put up a shelf at the back
Tidy up my "workshop" area where everything has been dumped
Put out the cardboard for the recycling
Find the foot off the chair that I accidentally threw away as rubbish
Plan activities for Saturday
prepare the clay
Make tools from lollypop sticks (dont want people on Saturday to use the proper tools as I am sure they will get nicked and they are too expensive to lose!)
Make posters
Fix my Open/Closed sign
Do an email out to my contacts to remind them about Saturday
Buy food and drink
Label 100 paper plates (and buy some more!!)

So not much to do really!!

Suzi
09-07-15, 08:14 PM
I don't think I've ever heard you so excited!!

Pen
09-07-15, 10:26 PM
Not sure that excited is exactly the word... terrified I think!

Suzi
09-07-15, 11:23 PM
But you are brilliant, capable and I know you can do it!

Paula
10-07-15, 09:49 AM
You're going to be amazing tomorrow :)

Angie
10-07-15, 10:49 AM
I agree with Suzi and Paula hunni x

Pen
10-07-15, 12:02 PM
Well at the moment I am just on the point of curling up in tears.

Everything is going wrong today.

Tried to fix up the lock in the toilet, had a nightmare trying to get the screws in as the space was so tight and then found I had put it the wrong place and have had to take it down again.

Tried to put up the fire extinguisher. Struggled to get the lower hole drilled only to find I had not put it straight and I will need to do it again.

My daughter has discovered that she put the old address on a parcel she was expecting and now we are trying to contact a neighbour to try and rescue it.

and I am just so tired....

Paula
10-07-15, 01:20 PM
(bear)

magie06
10-07-15, 01:52 PM
Good luck with everything tomorrow. I'm sure you'll be fine. I'll keep the prayers and candles going for you.

Suzi
10-07-15, 04:00 PM
It WILL be ok. Do what you can do, but do try to enjoy it! This is an exciting adventure!!

rose
10-07-15, 04:29 PM
Putting on locks and drilling is hard work, particularly as you hadn't drilled a hole until sometime earlier this week.
You are basically amazing, concentrate on everything you've achieved because its so so much.

Pen
10-07-15, 06:35 PM
Putting on locks and drilling is hard work, particularly as you hadn't drilled a hole until sometime earlier this week.
You are basically amazing, concentrate on everything you've achieved because its so so much.

Oh I know. I am so tired at the moment I can barely stand. Just got back from buying the food for tomorrow. The kettle has boiled but I am too tired to make a cup of tea.

I feel really let down by Hubby, I could have done with him here. I kept hoping all day that he would turn up but no luck. I did manage to get the fire extinguisher, fire blanket, first aid kit, chain and a shelf up. First time I have every put up a shelf and its level!!! Still struggling with the lock on the toilet. I cant get the screws in for the bit against the wall so I have glued it in place for now and hopefully I can get a man to fix it properly tomorrow.

Still need to finish clearing up everything at the back of the studio. I have also printed out 100 invitations for the neighbours but I am too knackered to post them out!!

rose
10-07-15, 06:49 PM
I feel really disappointed in your husband too. But did you clearly tell him you need help?
And your son, your daughter.....
If the lock is ok with glue, then leave it as is. You are a very resourceful woman. I hope you can have a good dinner (and maybe a glass of wine?) tonight to try and build up some energy for tomorrow. You'll be amazing x

magie06
10-07-15, 07:01 PM
Again I'll say this, good luck for tomorrow's launch. I'm sure you'll be amazing.

Paula
10-07-15, 07:49 PM
Good luck for tomorrow, hunni

magie06
10-07-15, 08:35 PM
You know what they say in the theatre business, - a crap dress rehearsal makes for a brillant first night.

Pen
10-07-15, 10:41 PM
Well the main studio is ready

http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af219/penny_price1/DSCN0743_zpsqsus1j0b.png (http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/penny_price1/media/DSCN0743_zpsqsus1j0b.png.html)

Upstairs is a tip!!!

Still need to tidy the garden, prepare the food and sort out the clay, but getting there...

magie06
10-07-15, 10:51 PM
Wow the place looks brilliant. Have a ball tomorrow and try not to worry too much.

Paula
10-07-15, 11:11 PM
That's incredible! Well done you :)

Angie
10-07-15, 11:35 PM
That looks amazing hun, good luck tomorrow hun x

Suzi
11-07-15, 10:22 AM
That looks amazing!

Good luck for your opening today!

rose
11-07-15, 11:11 AM
GOOD LUCK PEN!!! I hope it all goes really really well!

Pen
11-07-15, 07:32 PM
Well that has been a bit of a damp squib.
All but one of the people who came were people I knew and I didn't have more than 3 people at a time. By 6:30 people had stopped coming all together.
However the blind group came and have decided to come weekly so twice the income I was expecting.

Angie
11-07-15, 07:52 PM
That sounds as though its been worth it hun then x

Paula
11-07-15, 08:23 PM
Early days, hunni, the word will get out

Pen
11-07-15, 08:57 PM
Its a little disappointing after all the time and money I put into the advertising. However I had a laugh even if I did only have about 12 people all day. One of the people who came brought her two kids and they had a great time and want to come to a clay club when I start it.

magie06
11-07-15, 09:03 PM
Thats great news. You enjoyed your day and you got some repeat business. A successful day all round! (clap)

Pen
11-07-15, 10:35 PM
Hubby is in a sulk. I made him do the washing up that has been pilling up for the last few days

Suzi
11-07-15, 11:16 PM
Sounds like you've done really well lovely!

Angie
12-07-15, 12:45 AM
Sounds like a brilliant day
Erm let him sulk lol he can at least help while he is there.

Pen
12-07-15, 03:04 PM
He did do a good job of cleaning the kitchen. Went to the car boot together, but when we got back I was just so bone nummingly tired I went for a lie down. He was not happy about that.... He does not like to see me lying down during the day, I should be up and doing things. Whether its because thats the way he likes to go himself or if it is because he worries that something is wrong if I need to stop and rest I dont know, but he would not leave me in peace, deciding that it would be a good time to see if he could lean far enough out of the bedroom window to fix our leaking gutter! In the end I asked him to clear up the boxes that where kicking around in out living room and take them to the tip, but that did not work 5 minutes after going downstairs he was back grumbling that I had left my driving licence in one of the boxes and how careless that was and how I needed to take better care or he could have thrown it in the tip, and that was why he did not clear up stuff round the house. He did go off eventually and he has not come back which I am actually quite pleased about!

Suzi
12-07-15, 04:30 PM
I'm not surprised you needed a lie down with everything you've been doing over the last week or so!

magie06
12-07-15, 04:34 PM
Sometimes its nice when they go off on their own for a little while. Maybe he is watching the tennis.

Pen
12-07-15, 05:00 PM
Well my time tracker has recorded that I have done 59 hours of work this week so I think I deserve a rest!

Scared the dust in the sitting room but there seems little point in washing the floor as in this weather it will be filthy again within minutes.

Suzi
12-07-15, 05:09 PM
Absolutely! :)

Paula
12-07-15, 07:02 PM
Well my time tracker has recorded that I have done 59 hours of work this week so I think I deserve a rest!

Scared the dust in the sitting room but there seems little point in washing the floor as in this weather it will be filthy again within minutes.

59? I'm barely awake that many hours!

rose
12-07-15, 08:16 PM
59 hours... ouch.

Angie
12-07-15, 08:45 PM
Thats a lot of hours hunni, make sure you find some time to rest x

Pen
12-07-15, 09:40 PM
Well took it easy this afternoon and just did some drawing and watched TV. One of the traders in the indoor market that runs alongside the car boot we go to has offered to be an outlet for my work when he expands his stall shortly so I will have to roll my sleeves up this week and get stuck into doing some proper work now that the studio is finished.

Paula
12-07-15, 09:53 PM
Well took it easy this afternoon and just did some drawing and watched TV. One of the traders in the indoor market that runs alongside the car boot we go to has offered to be an outlet for my work when he expands his stall shortly so I will have to roll my sleeves up this week and get stuck into doing some proper work now that the studio is finished.

Wow! That's amazing :)

Pen
12-07-15, 10:46 PM
Wow! That's amazing :)

Which bit? That I was able to sit still for long enough to watch tv or the I have an outlet?

Paula
12-07-15, 11:33 PM
Both probably ;)

Pen
13-07-15, 12:53 AM
(rofl)

Suzi
13-07-15, 09:22 AM
Wow! You sat down? That's fabulous!
Being offered a chance to sell your work is amazingly awesome!

Pen
13-07-15, 09:33 AM
Being offered a chance to sell your work is amazingly awesome!

Obviously its only one up from a car boot stall but if I can make some knick naks that are appealing and not too expensive it will all add to the income.

Pen
13-07-15, 01:20 PM
Just been reduced to tears of joy. My son has been offered a permanent job with the company where he has been apprenticed with. Its a lovely place and he has really enjoyed working there. Not only have they offered him a permanent position but at a starting salary of 20K. I have a feeling that he may look to move out quite soon (which would actually be a financial burden for me ^) )

rose
13-07-15, 01:43 PM
Yay!!!! :)

Suzi
13-07-15, 04:12 PM
That's brilliant!

Angie
13-07-15, 04:12 PM
Thats brilliant news for him hun :)

Paula
13-07-15, 04:57 PM
Fantastic news!

magie06
13-07-15, 04:59 PM
Great news Pen.

Pen
13-07-15, 08:17 PM
Yes you never stop worrying about them and I have been concerned for a couple of months as to what would happen when his apprenticeship ended.

Suzi
13-07-15, 08:49 PM
Has he been talking about moving out?

Pen
13-07-15, 08:59 PM
Oh yes. He has plans to rent a flat closer to his work in Bristol in September and then his girlfriend plans to move to the UK from Germany and live with him.

Suzi
13-07-15, 09:27 PM
You said that's going to be hard for you financially... You could rent out his room if you wanted?

Pen
13-07-15, 09:52 PM
You said that's going to be hard for you financially... You could rent out his room if you wanted?

(rofl)(rofl)

I think I would struggle to rent out a room that is 6ft x 7ft!

I am comforting myself with the thought that I probably spend the £150 a month he gives me at the moment of food for him so I may be better off when he moves.

He has been talking to me tonight about his budget. I think he is a bit disappointed to realise that once he moves most of his money will be sucked up by the flat, council tax, utilities and food. I don't think it has really struck him before how much it costs just to keep a roof over your head!

Paula
13-07-15, 11:06 PM
Growing up is a shock - my kids certainly think we have an endless stream of money ....

Angie
13-07-15, 11:21 PM
Caitlin certainly think money grows on tree's especially since she has seen coins pressed into tree stumps at the local dam, Ryan is good about realising it doesn't grow on tree's, my eldest learned after having to work while going to Uni and paying travel costs etc from Manchester to Liverpool to get there.

Pen
14-07-15, 08:02 AM
He has not had an allowance from me since he was 14 so has had to work to get anything that he wants but I dont think he really understood that most of the money you earn in the real world has to go on just keeping body and soul together and is not spare cash to spend as you wish. He spent a year at university so knows how things work but I think he believed that a 20K salary would give him lots of money compared to the £6K he had to live on at college. He was shocked to realise how much he has to pay in tax and NI something he has not faced before.

Even now I dont think he has realised that I have NO income and so I have a juggling match each month to keep a roof over all our heads. I have to say I had a look last night to see how much of an impact this latest budget will have on me and potentially I will be about £1,400 worst off now which is a blow.

Suzi
14-07-15, 10:34 AM
To be fair I think we all had a complete shock at how much things like utility and other bills come to! lol

Paula
14-07-15, 11:02 AM
He has not had an allowance from me since he was 14 so has had to work to get anything that he wants but I dont think he really understood that most of the money you earn in the real world has to go on just keeping body and soul together and is not spare cash to spend as you wish. He spent a year at university so knows how things work but I think he believed that a 20K salary would give him lots of money compared to the £6K he had to live on at college. He was shocked to realise how much he has to pay in tax and NI something he has not faced before.

Even now I dont think he has realised that I have NO income and so I have a juggling match each month to keep a roof over all our heads. I have to say I had a look last night to see how much of an impact this latest budget will have on me and potentially I will be about £1,400 worst off now which is a blow.

Per month or per annum?

Pen
14-07-15, 12:09 PM
Per annum. I think I would be really desperate if it was per month!!

Having a bad day today. Struggling to get to work. I know I need to get out there and make some pots at the very least but so far I am failing miserably. I took my daughter down town to the bank so she could pay me my rent and setup a standing order so I get it each month from here on but that seems to have sapped my energy. So sat on the sofa with the dog.

rose
14-07-15, 12:20 PM
You didn't really stop last week getting everything ready for Saturday. So its no wonder you feel tired.

Paula
14-07-15, 05:42 PM
I'm with Rose. Taking a day off work is essential

Pen
14-07-15, 05:52 PM
Well I had a half day. I finally got into the Studio just before 1. I finished off two bowls I started yesterday with sculpted lavender flowers around the outside that when they are finished my daughter is going to make lavender scented candles in. I also made two plates yesterday. No where near the target I had set myself to get 5 items made everyday but its a start. I am getting faster at making lavender flowers so my production may increase yet!

Took the dog out in the drizzle. It surprised me that she went as usually when its raining she refuses to leave the house. However she is now throughly wet. I just managed to stop her from drying herself on my bed (It was a close thing but thankfully she is obedient enough to stop when told to!) She has tried drying herself on the chair and the sofa but she obviously unhappy about her damp state as she is now stood next to me with her head resting in the sofa, I would try and dry her but she hates that even more than being wet! Of course I also have this lovely wet dog smell to go with her as well.

Pen
15-07-15, 01:04 PM
Done 2 and a half hours work in the studio. Now ready for a nap!

Suzi
15-07-15, 01:43 PM
Go you! I've been loving the pics you've been putting up on FB!

Pen
15-07-15, 06:45 PM
Was so tired that I did sleep for an hour this afternoon then did another 3 hours sculpting. Made a candle holder for a candle called mystic forest. Its okay but took me far too long as I don't think I will be able to sell it at a profit.

rose
15-07-15, 07:29 PM
I'd love to see the photos of your work, if you have time to do them?

Suzi
15-07-15, 08:00 PM
Pen, you can add a link to your FB page if you like to your signature...

Pen
15-07-15, 08:12 PM
Thanks Suzi I would but I have no idea how to!

Pen
15-07-15, 08:31 PM
http://s1009.photobucket.com/user/penny_price1/slideshow/Work%20in%20progress

Here s my work this week... Bear in mind that these have not been fired or glazed yet.

magie06
15-07-15, 08:39 PM
They look beautiful. Well done.

Pen
15-07-15, 08:45 PM
Not well tonight though. Feeling anxious for no reason. Dont know what has started this.

Suzi
15-07-15, 09:14 PM
Thanks Suzi I would but I have no idea how to!

I can do it for you if you want me to? Your work really is beautiful and it deserves to be shared..

Pen
15-07-15, 09:24 PM
That would be lovely. Thank you.

Going to take a lorazapam and have an early night, maybe that will help with this anxiety.

rose
15-07-15, 09:25 PM
They look great, I really liked the curly edged plate.
If you feel anxious, it could be because you are tired, hot, thirsty. I sometimes find feeling slightly unwell can trigger anxiety.

Pen
15-07-15, 09:36 PM
Yes maybe. certainly the tired and thirsty. A hot milk and a few chapters of my book methinks.

Paula
15-07-15, 10:13 PM
Sounds good to me (bear)

Pen
16-07-15, 08:20 AM
Didn't work lay awake till midnight, ended up watching Death in Paradise on my phone till the battery ran out, but did then sleep till 7:30.

Feel I want to die at the moment.

Suzi
16-07-15, 09:30 AM
Pen, can I ask a difficult question? Are you at risk of hurting yourself? Are you safe?

Suzi
16-07-15, 09:35 AM
That would be lovely. Thank you.
That should be sorted for you now..

rose
16-07-15, 10:19 AM
You sound absolutely knackered Pen. Your day 'off' after the opening was spent at a car boot and being disturbed by your husband. I think you need a proper day off. I know you have a lot to do and feel like you need to be working to get money coming in, and maybe taking a whole day off is difficult, so just take it easy the next few days?

Suzi
16-07-15, 10:55 AM
I completely agree.

Pen
16-07-15, 10:55 AM
Pen, can I ask a difficult question? Are you at risk of hurting yourself? Are you safe?

I had not replied to this as I don't know the answer. I think the answer probably is yes I am safe, I have enough mechanisms in place to help and at the moment I do feel I can use them to get me through.

Can I bore you all with what I think is troubling me?